Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, has there been any word yet as to when the Sonic Prime cartoon is coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dabir posted:

On this week's episode of Castle Superbeast, Pat said that they could totally get away with making more of these exploring the world the comics are establishing, and I completely agree. They've finally got something cohesive, consistent, unified and well written nailed down and people really like it, they could use that.

Two specific things I'd like to see from smaller projects like this, if they decide to do more. First is giving some notable landmarks and places worth remembering, because the IDW comic has had a severe lack of those outside of Restoration HQ, some Eggman bases, Central City, and like, Angel Island. Second is more stories that don't need Sonic himself front and center, which I believe I've brought up before as being a nice quality of Sonic Universe that is sorely missed.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

On another note, has there been any word yet as to when the Sonic Prime cartoon is coming back?

Hopefully soon: I really enjoyed the first few episodes and, if they follow the story-telling pattern they've set up thus far, Rouge is up next for an alternate universe where an iteration of her is the focal point character. I wonder what theme they're gonna go with for that?

TriffTshngo posted:

Two specific things I'd like to see from smaller projects like this, if they decide to do more. First is giving some notable landmarks and places worth remembering, because the IDW comic has had a severe lack of those outside of Restoration HQ, some Eggman bases, Central City, and like, Angel Island. Second is more stories that don't need Sonic himself front and center, which I believe I've brought up before as being a nice quality of Sonic Universe that is sorely missed.

Definitely agreed on the landmarks. Two things I'm hoping they lean into more are:

-The idea of Sonic's world as a sort of points of light style adventure world. That is that the points of civilization are relatively self-contained and surrounded by large swathes of adventure-filled wilderness and ancient ruins. It's a world aesthetic I always felt was present in the games up until Sonic Adventure 2, when we started to lean more towards Sonic's world being closer to our own, and the series has kind of ping-ponged back and forth between the two setups ever since.
-Bringing in some of the more abstract, fantastical locations we've seen in games like Sonic 1, CD and Chaotix. Y'know, like the bright, neon future-cities and tiny planets and the like.

I dunno, I just like the idea of Sonic's world as being more distinct and fantastical than our own and I've never been as big of a fan of the more "realistic" aesthetic that games like Adventure 2, Shadow or 06 went with. While these games do have some fantastical locations of their own (ie the space colony ARK) they always felt a bit more grounded in a generic, modern urban look.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

I heard it was in the second half of this year; probably Fall.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the murder mystery game credits jun senou and tony harnell for music but I don't think I heard anything that sounded like a riff on their work at all. did anybody else?

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

the murder mystery game credits jun senou and tony harnell for music but I don't think I heard anything that sounded like a riff on their work at all. did anybody else?

I’m pretty sure it uses a bit of the SA1 version of “It Doesn’t Matter” at one point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Big should be Sonic’s Tom Bombadil.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Except for his appearance in the bad game sonic heroes, he pretty much is. Lives in the woods, extremely powerful, has nothing to do with the plot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Hopefully soon: I really enjoyed the first few episodes and, if they follow the story-telling pattern they've set up thus far, Rouge is up next for an alternate universe where an iteration of her is the focal point character. I wonder what theme they're gonna go with for that?

Given the pattern so far of each AU having something to do with an aspect of its respective focal character I assume Rouge’s world will likely involve either spies, thieves/treasure hunters, or explorers

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SA1/2 still understood it was in the sonic universe with absurd exaggerated stuff like loop de loops in San Francisco/military base and having a giant haunted canyon w pumpkin head rock structures everywhere.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

SA1/2 still understood it was in the sonic universe with absurd exaggerated stuff like loop de loops in San Francisco/military base and having a giant haunted canyon w pumpkin head rock structures everywhere.

SA1 I would definitely agree with, SA2 always felt like it was sort of on the periphery for me in a way that's hard to quantify (All of this is heavily vibes-based, after all and those are the most subjective of qualities). I think it's a combination of the higher presence of generic military bases, the introduction of textures with more muted "realistic" color palettes for some of the backgrounds and the slow drift away from the early 90s design sensibilities that defined the 2D platformers, but SA2 always felt to me like the point where the more "realistic" world aesthetic started to become more prominent, before reaching its apex with Shadow and Sonic 06

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
06 i get but shadow has a similar cartoony energy as heroes with stuff like the cyberspace, circus, and haunted castle levels

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Examining it I think I'm just not a fan of when the game environments have too much grey in them?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Some kind of vid leaked from what I'm guessing is an investor's presentation of things in development. The Sonic Frontiers footage may be from an older development build, who knows.

Otherwise, Persona 3 remake footage and new Jet Set Radio teaser.

https://twitter.com/AVtoGAMEnoYAMI/status/1644990912328798208?t=--ejKDjjLP3qz4mGuntiXg

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the p3 clip is for pachinko until proven otherwise

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

the p3 clip is for pachinko until proven otherwise

Now now, it could be footage for an event for the Persona 5 gacha.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1647948236735545344

:psyduck:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1647948020799897602/photo/1

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the Rovio acquisition makes some sense. I’m not all for big corporate mergers, but Sega did well pulling Atlus out of the brink. They’re not like Microsoft, buying and mismanaging just about every publisher and developer they get.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Microsoft actually doesn't seem to have been that bad about that in the Nadella era.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Taking back that tweet about Rovio, because there's far more important news today:

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1647963174442786821

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Taking back that tweet about Rovio, because there's far more important news today:

Oh nice, I guess that Knuckles miniseries announced a long while back is still happening then. I assume we have no other information as of yet?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Absolutely missed opportunity not to call it "& Knuckles". For shame.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Oh nice, I guess that Knuckles miniseries announced a long while back is still happening then. I assume we have no other information as of yet?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1647967842174918660

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, remind me who Wade is again?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Absolutely missed opportunity not to call it "& Knuckles". For shame.

They commissioned Sonic 3, and Knuckles.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Neat, remind me who Wade is again?

he's the dumb comic relief cop

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, now they just need to give Tails a cop sidekick and the set will be complete

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they needed to balance out knuckles’s coolness by paring him up with a loser dork

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Ken Penders’ attorney’s phone has rang.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

holefoods posted:

Ken Penders’ attorney’s phone has rang.

Camera zooms out to reveal that it is also Ken Penders.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Microsoft actually doesn't seem to have been that bad about that in the Nadella era.

Nah, they’ve been pretty bad about managing their studios. I’m not gonna derail this to be about the Activision merger, but Halo’s been a mess, their Fable and Perfect Dark reboots couldn’t even lift off the ground. Bethesda seems to be mostly alright with the games they’ve published since, but Redfall is clearly gonna be dead on arrival. A majority of the Microsoft studios games they’ve published in the last few years have been pretty mediocre at best. Minecraft seems to be their one thing that seems to succeed no matter what and I can’t really attribute its success to anything Microsoft has done other than throw lots of money at the developer.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Camera zooms out to reveal that it is also Ken Penders.

In the style of the end of MGS games, where Penders' is the one side of the phone call you hear: "Yes. I understand. The lawsuit will be underway. I will sue the piss out of SEGA. Thank you, Mr. Penders" *not james bond music sting*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah, they’ve been pretty bad about managing their studios. I’m not gonna derail this to be about the Activision merger, but Halo’s been a mess, their Fable and Perfect Dark reboots couldn’t even lift off the ground. Bethesda seems to be mostly alright with the games they’ve published since, but Redfall is clearly gonna be dead on arrival. A majority of the Microsoft studios games they’ve published in the last few years have been pretty mediocre at best. Minecraft seems to be their one thing that seems to succeed no matter what and I can’t really attribute its success to anything Microsoft has done other than throw lots of money at the developer.

Oh, yeah, the fully integrated studios are already hosed up, I was talking about that they're being relatively hands-off with new acquisitions these days.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What has Rovio done recently to merit that? Angry Birds is like a decade old, and the last movie was what, five years ago? I can’t remember the last time I heard about Angry Birds besides this year when the original was being taken off the storefronts because people kept buying the one and done game instead of diving into the microtransaction-drowned sequels. 2019?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

What has Rovio done recently to merit that? Angry Birds is like a decade old, and the last movie was what, five years ago? I can’t remember the last time I heard about Angry Birds besides this year when the original was being taken off the storefronts because people kept buying the one and done game instead of diving into the microtransaction-drowned sequels. 2019?

The whole thing where the original got taken down because the micro transaction version was more profitable was a couple months ago.

I can’t think of anything major with them recently either. Angry Birds’s popularity seemed to go in decline since the second movie came out. As far as I know, they don’t really got much outside of the Angry Birds franchise.

Sega’s been really good for Atlus since they bought them. They went from basically only being able to release a game to a single console/handheld to now giving their games worldwide releases across all platforms and PC. I’m guessing Sega sees potential with Rovio and their mobile division.

Or maybe I think the acquisition makes sense because I associate little video game birds with Sega.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apparently Angry Birds still gets installed in things like the entertainment systems on planes to keep kids busy, and there's plenty of merch kicking around still. There's probably a lot of revenue trickling in from various sources even if it isn't the biggest thing on earth anymore, with plenty more to be made. They may also have other projects on the go that Sega are interested in, or they think they'd complement Hardlight in making mobile spin-offs of their existing franchises.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It's likely that the acquisition is not just about the direct IP acquisition of Angry Birds (though that is certainly a factor) and just as much about acquiring Rovio's technology and platforms and historical knowledge and expertise of the market and target audiences. Sega likely has aggressive growth plans for mobile and are looking to Rovio to help with streamlining the creation and deployment and strategic project development of all that stuff, without having to build all that from the ground up on their own.

https://www.rovio.com/articles/beacon-by-rovio-the-games-platform/

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013

That's the hat he wears in the OVA right? If so that's super cool (the OVA rules).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver Vision posted:

That's the hat he wears in the OVA right? If so that's super cool (the OVA rules).

Yup, it’s also appeared in the Archie comics, a few of the mobile games, and that Steam exclusive game they put out for April Fools this year