Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know that picture, it's very 90s but not bad parody of Jack Chick style moral panic over D&D.

this one, actually, i was phoneposting earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

True. Sometimes you're going to get attacked by a First Team that is basically a collection of different 80's action movies stereotypes taken to ludicrous extreme. It's fine. It's natural. Just let it happen and spend your Rage points.

I mean, given that the Street Fighter TTRPG was done by White Wolf on basically the same system, dropping Zangief on your players is always an option.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skios posted:

I mean, given that the Street Fighter TTRPG was done by White Wolf on basically the same system, dropping Zangief on your players is always an option.

"The day Bison came to your village was the most important day of your life. For me it was Tuesday :smuggo: "

*Garou rip him limb from limb*

Everyone else: :stonklol:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bison’s Psycho Power would probably let him go three rounds with Crushes-Skulls.

Boxer is hosed though. So is the claw dude.

Sagat and Zangief are Kinfolk.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

joylessdivision posted:

The corebook. It covers the mechanics you'll need to actually run the game as well as a section on considerate play and stuff for finding out what your players are comfortable with.

Probably the new Players guide, but really you just need the core and some ideas.

As for "Personal Horror" that's going to come down to talking to the players to figure out where their comfort zone is and what lines they don't won't crossed. And then building a story that avoids the things the players aren't comfortable with.

If you want to run things in a more goofy fashion where the personal horror us dialed way back, go for it, it's not like some WoD police are coming to drag you away for playing wrong.

The "Personal Horror" is supposed to be that you're a monster and dealing with doing horrible things to survive and having a barely controlled nightmare inside you that wants you to just go buck wild being evil.

So I'd say talk to your potential players, figure out where the lines are and then start cooking up some kind of plot for them, then as the game goes on, keep track of what they do that would either be against what their character has expressed as their beliefs or ideals (I'm knee deep in writing a 1e review so I can't remember the V5 terms off hand) to be, or things that you as Storyteller feel the player(s) did in game that is horrible/horrifying and then rub their nose in it at a later time.

But seriously grab the corebook and read it, it will have most of the answers you need, I'd also say give one of the older edition ST handbooks a look, not so much for the mechanics but for the storyteller ideas and assistance.

Cool, thanks for the help, I did note that there is a companion book and those are usually at least somewhat helpful, so I'll probably scoop that up too.

I'm wondering what cities would be cool to run this in. I'm not a big fan of Chicago or New York City since they're so overplayed as settings, and I usually like designing my own courts in these sorts of games anyway over using pre-made settings.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

Cool, thanks for the help, I did note that there is a companion book and those are usually at least somewhat helpful, so I'll probably scoop that up too.

I'm wondering what cities would be cool to run this in. I'm not a big fan of Chicago or New York City since they're so overplayed as settings, and I usually like designing my own courts in these sorts of games anyway over using pre-made settings.

You mean New York and Los Angeles, right? Riiiiiight?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Whirling posted:

No problem and if the companion is the one I'm thinking of (short free pdf from Paradox) that info is now collected in the Players Handbook.

As for city, that's totally up to you. I live in the SF bay area so my V5 game has been set primarily SF/Oakland with the rest of the bay area being available when needed. I think the corebook suggest that you can use your home town if you like, and considering you want to do your own court, you can essentially pick any city or town and just go nuts.

Does Oakland have an expansive subterranean tunnel system separate from the sewers? No (at least not that I'm aware of lol) but I needed it for my story so now it does.

Whatever city you choose, remember that it's the WoD version of that place, so feel free to mix it up and add stuff that isn't there or whatever you feel will work best for the flavor and tone of the story you want to tell.

I'd also recommend https://chartopia.d12dev.com/collection/576/ for some useful tools, especially the Vampire creator. It's a great tool for quickly creating NPCs though you'll probably want to fiddle with the stats after they're generated to make sure they fit the concept you have for the character (or not)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

joylessdivision posted:

"The day Bison came to your village was the most important day of your life. For me it was Tuesday :smuggo: "

*Garou rip him limb from limb*

Everyone else: :stonklol:

I remember actually getting the Street Fighter RPG because I was hoping to crib some stuff to make hunters a little less "blood squibs waiting to happen." Hunter the Reckoning annoyed me because I was expecting something like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" stuff and HtR ended up being "blood squibs waiting a little longer to happen." But SF:RPG didn't really work. I was wanting something that would let me easily roll up original characters as "street fighters" but the game mostly focused on just playing the established characters IIRC.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Kurieg posted:

this one, actually, i was phoneposting earlier.

Ahh, never spotted that, there it is right between Lycanthrope and The Occult and Satans (tm)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Whirling posted:

what everyone else said, but I'm using a made up city called Santa Sangre that's been the setting for two games now. Geographically it's Corpus Christie and the surrounding suburbs, but I made up my own neighborhoods and history and all that.

I'd also like to reccomend Kumu as a tool for managing what your players know about the city and it's NPCs, my map is growing constantly and is loving wild now, but you can search by tags that you add to the elements, focus on an element and show only it's direct connections with the ability to expand out by a single degree, it's great.

https://kumu.io/soonmot/santa-sangre#santa-sangre-npcs

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 6, 2023

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I got my hands on a copy of Deviant, and while I appreciate that now I can officially run a supers game that doesn't necessarily have to be four-color by default, I noticed something was missing: a 'win' state. See, most Chronicles games have a 'win' state, a way to get out of the downsides of being a supernatural being.

Vampire has Golconda, albeit not particularly emphasized - but it's there, and while I've never had a PC go for it, it certainly COULD be a valid goal.
Werewolf is the other one with no particular win state - but having your own turf where the spirits stay in the 'spirit' box and the humans stay in the 'human' box could certainly count.
Mage has Ascension - while not a particularly LIKELY ending to a campaign, it's definitely an option.
Changeling is in the same thematic space in a lot of ways as Deviant, but it does offer a few possible 'win' conditions, for a given value of 'win': you either kill your Keeper and make sure they're dead, you find a way to go back to your old life despite the trauma, or you kill your Keeper and become one of the Gentry yourself. (I wouldn't really call that last a 'win', but hey, that's what my players seemed drawn to.)
Geist I'm not as familiar with, especially the newer edition.
Promethean's 'win' condition is practically the expected end to a campaign; so much so that it has mechanics in the core book on how to do it.
Mummy's 'win' condition seems to be waking up without having to go shout at a fool to RETURN THE SLAB.
Demon's 'win' condition is unlocking your personal Cipher, and ruling in Hell - whatever that specifically means for your Demon.
Hunter's 'win' condition is pretty straightforwards: you killed all the supernatural nasties that were within your reach. Surviving that is just a luxury.
Beast's 'win' condition is putting down the book and ignoring that it exists.

So of all the CoD games, that's just Deviant and Werewolf, and quite possibly Geist, with no implied or suggested 'win' condition, and I think it lends the game a certain hopelessness. Even if you manage to Get Em Back, there's always another bunch of assholes cooking up something terrible that WILL be coming after you for labor, parts, or both. And one of the things I liked about Chronicles is that, despite the aesthetic and atmosphere they go for, there's a strong throughline of hope - sure, you can't fix EVERYTHING (except in Mage), but these small problems right here? You can fix those. You don't have to be a monster who lives by force, you don't have to stay a shambling, monstrous stain upon reality. Except in Deviant. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Mechanics-wise, it's pretty neat. I had fun reading through the Variations and Scars, figuring out how I'd make various X-men. And the Web of Pain is such a solid idea, I might import it into my next Chronicles game, whenever that happens.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Soonmot posted:

what everyone else said, but I'm using a made up city called Santa Sangre that's been the setting for two games now. Geographically it's Corpus Christie and the surrounding suburbs, but I made up my own neighborhoods and history and all that.

I'd also like to reccomend Kumu as a tool for managing what your players know about the city and it's NPCs, my map is growing constantly and is loving wild now, but you can search by tags that you add to the elements, focus on an element and show only it's direct connections with the ability to expand out by a single degree, it's great.

https://kumu.io/soonmot/santa-sangre#santa-sangre-npcs

Also really cool, thank you. I was thinking about doing New Orleans since, apart from the obvious Anne Rice connection, it seems like a pretty interesting place. There any good books that detail a general history and layout of the place?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the Geist good end is literally to fix the Underworld.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Geist 2E has three suggested conclusions for a long-running campaign, with different thematic implications. There isn't much mechanical scaffolding for them but at the same time, the way they're presented, there doesn't necessarily need to be; they're the stuff of epilogues, moreso than actual play.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A Deviant wins by finding a cure for their condition and regaining their humanity, so that they can finally awaken as a mage.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Everyone posted:

I remember actually getting the Street Fighter RPG because I was hoping to crib some stuff to make hunters a little less "blood squibs waiting to happen." Hunter the Reckoning annoyed me because I was expecting something like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" stuff and HtR ended up being "blood squibs waiting a little longer to happen." But SF:RPG didn't really work. I was wanting something that would let me easily roll up original characters as "street fighters" but the game mostly focused on just playing the established characters IIRC.

I actually own a copy (an extremely beat to poo poo copy) of the Street Fighter corebook that I'm planning to review at some point in the near(ish) future as a bonus review to my other oWoD reviews (which can be read in the Fatal and Friends thread or over on my site https://worldofdorkness.com/)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So I got my hands on a copy of Deviant, and while I appreciate that now I can officially run a supers game that doesn't necessarily have to be four-color by default, I noticed something was missing: a 'win' state. See, most Chronicles games have a 'win' state, a way to get out of the downsides of being a supernatural being.

The way Deviants scale both in terms of their power growth and the Instability mechanic fight this. I'm running a mixed-splat game with a Renegade and we're just not really using the Instability mechanics as a matter of convenience, because in practice it'd end up too confining in a game with longer plot arcs not just for the Renegade player but for the other players whose agendas (small-a, since there's only one Demon player-character) would constantly be pushed to the background by the uncontrollable knock-on effects of the Deviant player-character's actions and the narrative responses they'd generate.

I'm not gonna say this is the only solution or that I think Renegades burning brightly rather than at length is bad in principle but it does deeply constrain how well they play with others (and also, over the long run, with themselves) in a way none of the other splats' weaknesses or intrinsic problems do. I think the interplay of Variations and Scars is incredibly fruitful as a platform to imagine not just character concepts but whole character arcs, but also that it's a bit like Mummy in that it seems geared for a particular style of play and demands active effort both at the table and with a houserule red pen to adapt to others.

By the same token, as a Storyteller it's less important to me for splats to have a win condition than for player-characters to; getting to finally kill not just your Keeper's Title but the underlying entity, for instance, or getting to solve the mystery of why the sun's gone out and Luna has become an interventionist machine-god, or whatever. Striking the right balance of these elements for the game and the table is more important than abstract fidelity to the themes or even mechanics of the game, and what any given character is going to see as their endgame is similarly more important than whether every splat has a built-in victory screen.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
But seriously, a Deviant win state is just... getting to a place where you can confidently pose on a rooftop like it's the ending of an edgy 90s superhero movie. Your struggle never ends, exactly, but you've had cathartic revenge and the upcoming struggles seem like something you can handle. It's not final, but to repeat my point: Deviant is the most edgy 90s superhero movie of all the CofD games, and knowing someone like Spawn's probably going to die in a hail of demon bullets at some indistinct point in the future doesn't mean you can't have a satisfying conclusion now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Promethean's 'win' condition is practically the expected end to a campaign; so much so that it has mechanics in the core book on how to do it.

I once had ambitions of running a super-crossover campaign. The PCs would start as Prometheans and ultimately achieve their humanity. And then they'd become (be embraced/etc) different supernaturals (Vampire/Werewolf/Changeling/Sin-eater) who still stuck together because of their previous time as Prometheans. It never dug itself out of the ground, much less got off it.

Beast's 'win' condition is putting down the book and ignoring that it exists.

Completely true and I loving hate it. All the various game books have an iconic monster/being. Vampire has Dracula. Werewolf has Lawrence Talbot. Promethean has Frankenstein's Monster. Mummy has the 1932 and 1999 versions of Imhotep. Hell, even Changeling has Leprechaun. Beast should have been The Creature from the Black Lagoon: The RPG. It should have been about forming connections with others while trying to manage inhuman instincts and hungers. Except that what we get instead was Enough: The RPG except that the PC "heroes" were all monster versions of J-Lo's abusive rear end in a top hat ex.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I wouldn't agree that cWOD Werewolf doesn't have a 'win' condition. In werewolf culture, what it looks like to achieve something and be respected is pretty unambiguous. Obey the laws and traditions of your god, tribe, & pack, fight the other side of the factional divide (the pure), police/maintain your territory, and hunt powerful hostile spirits. It's expected that you'll eventually die doing this, but as long as you die in a good faith attempt with a long list of honors in your past, that's seen as a good life and death among werewolves. the win is simply being able to do all that in the face of massive opposition. there's not a 'win' condition in the sense of "My PC exists in-universe but no longer has to play this White Wolf RPG", I guess

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The trick for Forsaken is the hustle never ends. It's more about, well, balance but it's always work.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Werewolf is also just not really in need of a metaphysical escape clause, even as an object of fantasy, because objectively being a werewolf kicks rear end except for the political problems. And if werewolves want some means of escaping from the stresses of a hostile political environment, they should just game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don’t have Deviant yet but I get the feeling going out in a huge blaze of glory is a win condition.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing about Werewolf is that it's honestly a very down to earth game. it's about family and taking care of what you define as yours, you just happen to be a werewolf. The really ridiculous supernatural threats aren't things you're likely to encounter unless you seek them out. Unlike mage where you basically have "gently caress around and find out" tattooed on your soul from word one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Santa Sangre Update

poo poo has been wild.

The Night began with Iris, our Venture, receiving a list of vacant apartments in Ms Lulabelle's territory that were close to the main sewer line it seemed like the revenants were following. They met up at their club to discuss things, only to find that two police detectives had been in to say there had been allegations of prostitution in the club and that they could be shut down or at least lose their liquor license. The club manager, Missy, gave the coterie the detectives cards and pulled up security footage to show their faces. Becky quashed down the discussion on what to do about these guys obviously angling for a protection pay out by telling the cops that all discussions must go through her lawyer and giving Missy the card for her personal attorney. Becky has resources 5 so this was a great move.

They then set out to explore the vacants that Iris had addresses for. Unforutnatly their big idea was to drive by and see if they could smell blood. They didn't, because that was a really dumb idea and even the vampires with auspex couldn't do it from a moving van. Two of the buildings were different though because Becky, our wheelchair bound mekhet, was using one of her drones to surveil it, while the nosferatu Hari used the rat that takes the place of his heart tat his sire implanted, to surveil the other. The drone found a way in but was stopped by the closed door of the basement. The rat found two bodies layed out in repose in the basement of the apartment it was exploring.

They decided to stop and get the drone first, the basement was empty. When they went ot the building the rat was in, when they got to the basement they examined the bodies, which immediately awakened as weak revenants which they easily dispatched. The basement had a tunnel bashed down into the main sewer line! Outside they noticed a sign for B&B Contractors. Driving past the other buildings again, the notice a second sign for B&B Contrators and, sure enough there's a basement with a tunnel to the sewer. There's something different here though, the tunnel isn't finished and there's both bodies and a pile of dust and some busted ropes. Two of the bodies are revenants while the last is a human. The human has a wallet with an ID for Stephen Lee, while the pile of dust had a ring with the crest of a small time mafia family, the Del Falcos. Becky used Auspex to read the room and saw that the revenants awakened from their death state, broke their bounds and killed the two men while they were trying to expand the tunnel into the sewers.

Exploring the other buildings showed one more B&B Contractor sign, all the buildings had been in residential blocks, but this one had a duplex next door that was having a house party, loads of 20-somethings were in an out of the neighboring building and the sound of breaking glass illustrated that some of them were inside the vacant too. Trying to enter, Iris, our beauty queen, was accosted by a drunk rear end in a top hat, who Becky held out a knife to and Dominated "Slit your throat". As soon as the blade bit into his neck, they guy broke free of the command, freaked out and ran. The coterie entered the building and the more preceptive of them could smell the blood from the basement.

This is where things get messy. I had the rest of the revenants in that basement 13 bad guys with one boss. A little over half of the revenants were weaker ones for the non combatants to fight. I had thought that the characters would take position at the top of the stairs, or at least on the stairs to funnel the bad guys through. Instead, my gangrel who still had the beastial condition from a successful degeneration roll, rushed down the stairs into combat having heard the sounds of flesh tearing. Iris rushed to keep up with her and Hari, our nosferatu and third combat beast followed them. With Becky and Key, the mekhet and Deava remaining on top of the stairs.

It was a massacre, only not in the way I planned. The gangrel used vigor to leap across all the minions and LTs to the boss, cutting her off totally from everyone else, Hari and Iris were immediately surrounded, and all three were taking multiple levels of lethal damage while only putting out bashing. Iris was shooting and Key was using the throwing knives that they bargined away their Majesty for, something they've already figured out and were devasted by (earning plenty of beats).

The mortal who ran away came back with friends. These were supposed to be adds to the fight to harrass the coterie while they picked off the revenants running up the stairs in how I pictured this fight going. Instead I had them do a keystone cops routine and fall down the stairs, giving the revenants easier targets to feed on an the coterie time to escape. Only Becky instead dominated the biggest mortal into blocking the door to the stairwell so that none of the mortals could escape and hurt the Masquerade.

So I pulled the final emergency card I had in case they got in over their head. The elder they met the previous night, Renea, had been tailing them evaluating how they and Kizzy the gangrel specifically, were doing. Using a 6 dot protean power, she turned into a weretiger and started carving through the revenants, the boss used that distraction to obfuscate and escape. With multiple new targets and another combatant, the coterie finally has the upper hand and the fight goes to them. When they finish, one of the mortals is mortally wounded and two others dead. Key, the Deava ghouls the dying mortal in order to save him, this works, but leads to a degeneration roll. Iris and Becky use their skills at Dominate to convince the survivng mortals that this was a coyote attack while Iris uses her computer skills to start coyote sightings trending on social media to help sell the story. They all head home to heal, while Iris starts researching B&B Contractors.

The next night is a welcome change. Iris had gotten in contact and arranged a meeting with her old sparring partner Councilperson Alvi Alverson, also known as Light-of-Hope of the werewolf pack Renewal (Iris's player was also the player of Alvi in our werewolf game), the coterie goes to a snazzy resturaunt on Scoundrel's Island, the 0.01% section of Santa Sangre. They end up having a great conversation with Alvi and start diplomatic contact with the Eastside, proposing the Alvi has Snaggletooth and the Carthians form their own squad of Justicars and that these two groups, be given the ability to enter the other side's territory. Of course none of this has been cleared with the Prince. Key, is also told that their brother misses them, their brother being Chuckie "Wordsmith" Danvers, also of Renewal. They also discovered that during the war there was a splinter sect of the Carthians based out of the community college called the Stalin Grads, who wanted total war on the Invictus. Wiping them off of the map and out of the city with no quarter given. These were the vampires who discovered the process of reliably making the insane revenants. When peace talks happened, these vampires left Yellowfin and exiled themselves in the no-mans-land of Ascending Heights.

Dinner ends on a high note and the coterie head back to Fort Tulane for a roller derby match. Scar, the childe of Lulabelle Laurent , and Renea the mekhet elder who's taken an interest in Kizzy are on the same team and are skating that night. After the match, which 90s Sin-Dication, Scar Trek's and Renea-gade's team won, the two women chat up the coterie along with a third vampire, Tamara, who'sthe childe of Miguel Rivera, childe of the deposed Prince who, it turns out, sent those police detectives, his own ghouls, to Sangre-La! It was a night of great RP and the coterie found out some slolid information.

Rivera is totally loyal to the Invictus, and has had a century long feud with an elder gangrel called Knives. Knives was an Invictus hardliner who went to Ponce's side during the Invictus civil war because he felt Prince Rivera wasn't as aggressive as he should have been in the war with the Carthians. When Ponce took over and pursued peace talks with the Carthians, Knives was so angry he was about to frenzy during an elysium, which would have ended in his final death. Miguel Rivera, knowing the value that Knives brought to the covenent, goaded the gangrel into attacking him, which diffused the frenzy and carried a much less harshpunishment. The loss of territory. What pissed off Rivera was that the territory confiscated from Knives was awarded to Lulabelle! This same territory is where the B&B buildings have been located!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
As a surprise for my players, I used MidJourney to make portraits of the coterie:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
are you using a web app or is this something you download. Ethically I'm against AI art, but i'm just stealing other peoples work or celebrity head shots for NPCs anyways and the web apps I've been using are middling at best.

Also: The coterie, which are now called the Juice Kids (Scar was introducing them at the roller derby and I thought it would be cute for her to catch herself in a slip saying "justicars" and hastily correct herself with a lame correction, of course my players love it and want to get matching jackets that say "Juice Kids". The Juice Kids went to the pet store to start off this current night and of course hilarity followed as I dropped a store robbery on them.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Like I said, MidJourney. Just bought a month of their cheapest plan to crank out a few things like making some mood setting illustrations for interior settings and stuff like that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gotcha, I'm not up on all the ai art things or what they're called. i'll just stick to whatever poo poo i google up

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Whirling posted:

Also really cool, thank you. I was thinking about doing New Orleans since, apart from the obvious Anne Rice connection, it seems like a pretty interesting place. There any good books that detail a general history and layout of the place?

Too much history.
https://www.amazon.com/Frenchmen-Desire-Good-Children-Streets/dp/1565549317
https://www.amazon.com/Bourbon-Street-History-Richard-Campanella/dp/0807155055
https://judgmentalmaps.com/image/98323841965

...you might also just want to wander through Rich Campanella's website. https://richcampanella.com/articles/

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I just noticed that Vampire 5e actually seems to confirm that the Lasombra's Abyss is directly related to Oblivion/Grandmother from Wraith. This is getting dangerously close to defining cosmological metaplot canon again since there's also W20 material confirming Oblivion isn't the Wyrm. Hoping that new-Werewolf will cross the line and make the fatal mistake of admitting the Triat are coming from the same place as the Metaphysic Trinity. Could really get some of the most obscure and deeply niche TTRPG rage ever here.

The Hecate book also just straight up admits what Grandmother is apparently to a greater degree than they have before. I'm really surprised they dropped that in a Vamp book of all things, they've been very catty about that since Orpheus. They also explicitly confirm Orpheus still exists elsewhere in 5E. Their strategy of getting me to buy other lines so I can attempt to deduce the current state of the Wraith metaplot is working. (It appears to be the same core stuff but with Orpheus's R+D having had a 10-15 year lag period before it was commercially viable, with Grandmother/Spectre activity ramping up on the same slower timeline. Also, Stygia exists in parallel.)

Tolth fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 11, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought the answer to whether the Wyrm was the Wyrm or just an understanding of Entropy by furry maniacs was "are you running a Werewolf game with mage elements or a Mage game with werewolf elements"

I actually liked how they dug into this in the Nephandus book with the three sub-sects of Nephandi.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I thought the answer to whether the Wyrm was the Wyrm or just an understanding of Entropy by furry maniacs was "are you running a Werewolf game with mage elements or a Mage game with werewolf elements"

That's what you probably should do, but people like to leave a definitive mark.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Nessus posted:

I actually liked how they dug into this in the Nephandus book with the three sub-sects of Nephandi.

It's definitely that, but the fun question has always been whether it's genuinely subjective or whether The Werewolves Are Just Stupid. Certainly it's DM choice in the case of any individual game.

Personally speaking I'm of the opinion that the Wyrm is the Spirit corresponding to the concept of Entropy, but not the whole higher concept itself. Going off this it's pretty easy to explain the Werewolf point of view.

The interesting thing is that Vampire 5e explicitly closes off a *very* long-running one of these - whether or not the Lasombra concept of the Abyss is just an understanding of Oblivion by poorly-educated walking corpses. I'm happy to say it now officially is and all the Lasombra lore about the Abyss was just them getting conned by Spectres. It also has weird implications for Wraith lore as this suggests the Lasombra are tapping into the same space Neverborn Malfeans came from.

Dawgstar posted:

That's what you probably should do, but people like to leave a definitive mark.

It's the same school of fan-baiting as Warhammer constantly claiming Fantasy and 40k are entirely distinct IPs then leaving in scattered implications to the contrary. It really is reader's choice.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 11, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The only vampires who know what’s up are Malkavians imo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

The only vampires who know what’s up are Malkavians imo.

It's this. I've always subscribed to idea that Malkavians are broke-brained because they got an "End of 2001" explanation of how the WoD universe actually works and that way lies madness.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

joylessdivision posted:

It's this. I've always subscribed to idea that Malkavians are broke-brained because they got an "End of 2001" explanation of how the WoD universe actually works and that way lies madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUr3BtuRUI

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I always liked Dev Null from VTM: Redemption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOfMXjtDhAA

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah In the Mouth of Madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Did someone here have a Daughters of Cacophony lore sheet or something like that for V5? Am I just making things up?