Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
need more Beginning Explained videos tbh

so like, the toys are ALIVE? ALL of them?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Super Mario Bros (1985) Ending EXPLAINED

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Super Mario Bros (1985) Ending EXPLAINED

The princess wasn't in another castle at the end?!?!?! :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I need the middle parts of that one explained. That Bowser was a goomba all along?!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bokobbits

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
people posting in this thread made me want to do a no-fast-travel playthrough of botw, with the added stipulation of "no looking at the map"

anyways the game pranked me with perspective while i was on the plateau, lol
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1643876966892998657

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

people posting in this thread made me want to do a no-fast-travel playthrough of botw, with the added stipulation of "no looking at the map"

Actual adventurers would use a map, that's just common sense.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If there's a map already, you're a tourist or raider

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I've stopped watching "Things you missed" videos because most of the time their ability to "notice" stuff and speculate is just on par with the average dork (myself).

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mister Facetious posted:

yeah but fantasy adventurers don't often have 1:1 perfect topographical maps with zoom and GPS

I bet it'd be real neat to do a BotW playthrough where you follow a cloth map. or, better yet, a map that takes its cues from a theme park map where nothing is to scale and you have to navigate via cartoonishly exaggerated landmarks

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mister Facetious posted:

a big part of the fun in my first playthrough was finding the memories by looking at landmarks alone and doing my best to triangulate - i didn't know the painter guy was a THING until my 2nd. Having to navigate purely based on what you can see is fun!

Khanstant posted:

If there's a map already, you're a tourist or raider

WarpDogs posted:

yeah but fantasy adventurers don't often have 1:1 perfect topographical maps with zoom and GPS

I bet it'd be real neat to do a BotW playthrough where you follow a cloth map. or, better yet, a map that takes its cues from a theme park map where nothing is to scale and you have to navigate via cartoonishly exaggerated landmarks
that too

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
at least with an old-school map you'll be damned sure where the dragons be

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

anyways the game pranked me with perspective while i was on the plateau, lol
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1643876966892998657

Lol at the game going "you're not dead enough" at the end there

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

You're an anime adventurer ina jrpg

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I wonder if the camera function will still be there. I'm not a huge fan of taking screenshots but seeing as how it was connected to the tracking function that would be a pretty big change.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pro hud ftw, no minimap added a lot to location awareness

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just decided to go headless this time around. I already know the base map well enough from getting all the shrines and cool clothes, will probably be really fun to get my bearings with all the changes and new stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i could see myself doing a no fast travel run but only doing the divine beasts and just enough other stuff that I feel prepared for Ganon, would definitely not do all the shrines or sidequests. stuff like tarry town or that one blood moon shrine would be annoying without fast travel imo

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

at least with an old-school map you'll be damned sure where the dragons be
:discourse:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The BotW world doesnt really require looking at a map, it's very easy to get oriented just scanning for familiar landmarks

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Those you who like a mapless experience, definitely try Subnautica if you haven't already. There's no map in the game at all, you can build beacons that you can toggle on/off to use as waypoints, as well as a compass to help you navigate. It's not procedurally generated, so you do wind up using landmarks to navigate too.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i use the map because i respect the developer's time spent making such a wonderful, helpful map

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Icedude posted:

I'm surprised no one so far seems to have mentioned that given elemental arrows seem to now only made by fusing (there's no arrow select on d-pad left and they use ice chuchu jelly for an ice arrow), if we're getting bomb arrows again it means that bombs are now going to be materials, rather than as a power like in BoTW.

holding out hope that all of the shiekah slate powers are gone because zelda has it and becomes playable at some point

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It would be insanely funny if this game has playable Zelda and Nintendo doesn’t say a word about it before release

Just imagine the Gaming Twitter meltdown on May 12

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

epic bacon posted:

i use the map because i could get lost wandering around my own apartment

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It would be insanely funny if this game has playable Zelda and Nintendo doesn’t say a word about it before release

Linkle when you COWARDS

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Maroon Hawk posted:

you might be imaging people to get mad at here

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If that's what they're doing, then it's going to be a surprise, and surprises are best when you don't think a lot about wanting them to happen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

holding out hope that all of the shiekah slate powers are gone because zelda has it and becomes playable at some point

Good lord that would be a long coming twist to propel this game to the GOATs

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zelda has never been playable in any of the mainline games, right?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You could argue spirit tracks, but even there it's more giving a partner directions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

They should introduce a completely new playable character instead.

The game's deuteragonist will be a young man from Hateno Village named Finny. Link with pass the torch to Finny at the end of the game - a new hero for a new era.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Link & Dink

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The 11th hour reveal will be that you've been playing as Ganondorf for all of Tears of the Kingdom.
The 12th hour reveal will be that Zelda is also Ganondorf.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

all the characters in the game stand up spartacus-style and announce that they are ganondorf

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is the heroes path feature coming back? Such a brilliant feature im surprised other games don’t do. Works so well in a game that has excellent exploration.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ChocNitty posted:

Is the heroes path feature coming back? Such a brilliant feature im surprised other games don’t do. Works so well in a game that has excellent exploration.

It's actually the zero's path now. It show's you someone else's path through the game.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mister Facetious posted:

Linkle when you COWARDS

Toon Link and Linkle adventure WHEN?

Was Linkle even in the second Hyrule Warriors? Feels like a miss if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

The Maroon Hawk posted:

MGS2's reveal of Raiden was dire enough when we only had forums.

Zelda would be mostly welcomed...

Ytlaya posted:

They should introduce a completely new playable character instead.

The game's deuteragonist will be a young man from Hateno Village named Finny. Link with pass the torch to Finny at the end of the game - a new hero for a new era.

...but this would not be.