Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I know this heresy, but trackballs are better than mice.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Should I buy a $100 trackball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been using a G502 for over 8 years and I think it's time to switch to wireless. I like the shape but I wish it were lighter and I can’t really reach the DPI shift button with my palm grip. The G502 X line seems to address both concerns along with changing to optical switches.

Has anyone tried the G502 X Lightspeed Wireless for $140 or G502 X Plus for $160? It seems like the main difference is RGB on the Plus? In that case, I might as well just get the regular X when it goes on sale.

The G502 X rules and it's down to like $125 now. The only difference between the normal Lightspeed and Plus is the RGB, yes

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I know this heresy, but trackballs are better than mice.

You mean for like ergonomics, right? Must be next to impossible to game on those.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Somewhere there must be a person playing CS with a trackpad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I knew a guy who played WoW with a trackball for a while. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Pvt. Parts posted:

You mean for like ergonomics, right? Must be next to impossible to game on those.

Depends on the trackball. Elecom Huge trackballs are pretty nice. You'd lose a little fine precision but your mobility would be better, I'd imagine.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Should I buy a $100 trackball?

Less than $100, even.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 7, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I remember trackballs. There was a Macintosh LC II in my high school with one. Pool balls fit it perfectly. Good thing we left those in the 90s.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there RGB trackballs

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

Are there RGB trackballs

Of course there are: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=270

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

Somewhere there must be a person playing CS with a trackpad

somewhere there's a guy playing CS with a fishing controller, and he's pwning

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Dumb semi-related question: is there anything I can buy to keep my hands warm while using a mouse? I’m thinking like a giant mitten that’s flat at the bottom that can accommodate a palm a mouse and then some. Or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5W3T-f4Ig

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been using a G502 for over 8 years and I think it's time to switch to wireless.

I've had a G502 for probably the same amount of time and it's still going strong (although I literally use an electric lint remover to grind down the frayed "hairs" on the braided cord).

It's not my daily driver any more, but it gets a lot of use and I'm almost afraid to entirely get rid of it because it feels blessed in a way mice nowadays never are.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I used the Microsoft trackball daily for like a decade, including for WoW, it did fine. Nowadays the Elecom Huge is a reasonable replacement, although fine adjustments/nudges generally don't go smooth. Like it sticks very slightly, you can't just nudge a few pixels.
I'm going to try swapping out the bearings, might clear it up, but I think it's mainly because I don't have it on a stable surface and the way you have to grip a trackball when it's on your leg or the couch makes fine movement a little difficult.
I think there's a kind of person who's also a keyboard nerd who hears "swap out the bearings" and is intrigued, but if you're not that kind of person absolutely no shade.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

zachol posted:

I used the Microsoft trackball daily for like a decade, including for WoW, it did fine. Nowadays the Elecom Huge is a reasonable replacement, although fine adjustments/nudges generally don't go smooth. Like it sticks very slightly, you can't just nudge a few pixels.
I'm going to try swapping out the bearings, might clear it up, but I think it's mainly because I don't have it on a stable surface and the way you have to grip a trackball when it's on your leg or the couch makes fine movement a little difficult.
I think there's a kind of person who's also a keyboard nerd who hears "swap out the bearings" and is intrigued, but if you're not that kind of person absolutely no shade.

The bearings are probably not helping. The stock bearings in the Huge and Deft Pro just suck for some reason. The difference after swapping out them out was immediately noticeable.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there a goonsensus on a good trackball mouse?

Had some wrist pain and was advised to get either a trackball or a vertical mouse, and leaning towards trackball. Ideally want something with Bluetooth since it'll go between my work & personal computers. Mostly work & some light gaming, probably still use my regular mouse for anything FPSy.

One I'm looking at is the MX Ergo Plus. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ERG...ps%2C233&sr=8-2

Not sure if something like that is best, or a more traditional trackball. No real budget since this will be a work thing, just can't be $tupid.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's trackball discussion on this very page. There aren't many goons that use them, so the sample size is limited and you may be better off looking at a trackball reddit or something for more input. There is also the discussion of vertical mice 1-2 pages ago. More goons seem to have experience with those, but the sample size still isn't huge.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been using a G502 for over 8 years and I think it's time to switch to wireless. I like the shape but I wish it were lighter and I can’t really reach the DPI shift button with my palm grip. The G502 X line seems to address both concerns along with changing to optical switches.

Has anyone tried the G502 X Lightspeed Wireless for $140 or G502 X Plus for $160? It seems like the main difference is RGB on the Plus? In that case, I might as well just get the regular X when it goes on sale.
White G502X Lightspeed dropped to $112 on Amazon so I pulled the trigger. I never would've considered getting a white mouse in the past but my case and desk are both white now, and Reddit says staining isn't really an issue on white mice.

Now if Microsoft would just make wireless version of the Natural 4000.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who uses a relaxed finger grip, really likes the size/weight of the Razer Orochi V2, but wants something a bit more well made, what would my options be?

From doing some research I see Logitech Pro X Superlight, Lamzu Atlantis Mini, and Pulsar X2 Mini as viable options. Any I am missing?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bondematt posted:

Had some wrist pain and was advised to get either a trackball or a vertical mouse, and leaning towards trackball. Ideally want something with Bluetooth since it'll go between my work & personal computers. Mostly work & some light gaming, probably still use my regular mouse for anything FPSy.

One I'm looking at is the MX Ergo Plus. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ERG...ps%2C233&sr=8-2

Not sure if something like that is best, or a more traditional trackball. No real budget since this will be a work thing, just can't be $tupid.

Absolutely--I converted to trackball in 2018 and it's been the best computer peripheral move I've made, even more so than an ortholinear split keyboard (ergodox & lily 58)

That being said, save yourself the money and skip the MX Ergo Plus. I bought two several years back when I first converted and didn't know any better, and they're both just collecting dust in a drawer because thumb trackballs suck and irritate the same carpal nerves.

Instead, get yourself an oversize index finger trackball mouse. I've been using the Elecom Deft Pro and it's one of my favorite things I've ever bought. Apart from the obvious joy of fondling a giant ball every day, it's actually great for alleviating nerve pain, and the larger trackball is more comfortable and intuitive to use than the thumb ball. It'll take a few days to get comfortable using it and for your brain to adapt to throttling the trackball with your middle finger acting as a clutch so to speak, but once you commit and get over the learning curve there's no going back. Moving my whole drat arm on a cramped lovely laser mouse is such a bad user interface, trackballs are such an unbelievable life improvement. Except thumb track balls, gently caress those things.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Catatron Prime posted:

Absolutely--I converted to trackball in 2018 and it's been the best computer peripheral move I've made, even more so than an ortholinear split keyboard (ergodox & lily 58)

That being said, save yourself the money and skip the MX Ergo Plus. I bought two several years back when I first converted and didn't know any better, and they're both just collecting dust in a drawer because thumb trackballs suck and irritate the same carpal nerves.

Instead, get yourself an oversize index finger trackball mouse. I've been using the Elecom Deft Pro and it's one of my favorite things I've ever bought. Apart from the obvious joy of fondling a giant ball every day, it's actually great for alleviating nerve pain, and the larger trackball is more comfortable and intuitive to use than the thumb ball. It'll take a few days to get comfortable using it and for your brain to adapt to throttling the trackball with your middle finger acting as a clutch so to speak, but once you commit and get over the learning curve there's no going back. Moving my whole drat arm on a cramped lovely laser mouse is such a bad user interface, trackballs are such an unbelievable life improvement. Except thumb track balls, gently caress those things.

What perfect timing. I'm actually about to return my MX Ergo Plus cause I was feeling it in my wrist still. I got used to it surprisingly quick, but I did use a handheld thumb trackball over a decade ago when I was commuting by train.

I'll give that Deft Pro a try, definitely going to take longer to get used to that, but looks like it has everything I need.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The Viper V2 is still €150, huh? The middle mouse button on my old Viper finally died for good and I've been meaning to get something with the same shape. Is the Viper V2 worth it at all or should I just get an Ultimate for half the price?

edit: apparently the Viper V2 and the older Vipers aren't even the same shape? From what I'm reading, the Ultimate is a bit beefier in the back.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 24, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Keep in mind it doesn't come with the 4khz dongle so it's more expensive than you think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Minorkos posted:

edit: apparently the Viper V2 and the older Vipers aren't even the same shape? From what I'm reading, the Ultimate is a bit beefier in the back.

it's the same shape https://www.eloshapes.com/index.html?mouse=Razer%20Viper%20V2%20Pro&mouse=Razer%20Viper%20Ultimate

the main difference is the v2 is lighter and supports 4khz, but as mentioned you have to buy the 4khz dongle separately to take advantage of that

if you do go for the v2 then don't pay full price for the dongle, there's nearly always a code to get it for half price (usually code "4000HZ")

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 24, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Since it's been over a year, I figured I'd check back in and say that the Roccat Kone XP I got last March is still holding up great as my daily driver--no weird wear & tear issues, no bugs, no particularly frustrating gripes over the last year. Definitely haven't gotten any reasons to regret the purchase.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I ended up getting the G502 Lightspeed, and it feels great. The bummer is I thought that it supported Qi wireless charging, and the only wireless charger seems to be a $100 mousepad. Is there another solution? Or should I lock myself into this proprietary charging system?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there are relatively cheap 3rd party modules for logitech mice which add standard qi charging

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=g502+qi

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

So I ended up getting the G502 Lightspeed, and it feels great. The bummer is I thought that it supported Qi wireless charging, and the only wireless charger seems to be a $100 mousepad. Is there another solution? Or should I lock myself into this proprietary charging system?

The way the charging mat works is that there's a disk on the bottom of the mouse that connects to the mouse's magnetic charging plates and contains a coil, and the bottom plates accept 5v. With the disk and mousepad combo you get both the charging disk that replaces the plastic door on the bottom of the mouse with the receiver coil and the mousepad that had a bunch of coils under it to charge the thing. There's third party alternatives for that like charging stands but they're not as slick since you have to stop using the mouse to charge and pop it on there:
https://www.amazon.com/Soarking-Charging-Superlight-Lightspeed-Powerplay/dp/B08JFXFSJ2

On thingiverse there's a couple of 3d printed models of the same thing, you'd essentially strip back a USB cable and run 5V and ground to the two contact points:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4694238
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5229398

The remix uses screws as the contacts which is probably easier.

Anyway, I think the stand on amazon gives you a disk for the bottom which just has metal plates that pass through to the charging magnets in the mouse, but the 3d printed one you'd just remove the disk on the bottom and pop it on the stand. Like I said, it's a lot less convenient than leaving it on the mat for wireless charging but I don't really know what logitech uses. I doubt the coil in their powerplay disk is Qi compatible since it's pretty small, but I haven't really looked into it so it's possible someone's done some footwork into their own wireless charging coils, but other than homebrewing it that way the powerplay mat and disk seems like most convenient solution.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I forgot GN has a whole video about the powerplay charging mat and coin, it's pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAzfflwDdU

I'd buy one but I have like four mice that could use it and the extra coin disk things are 40 bucks or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I have a G903 with the charging mousepad and it mostly works as advertised (it does not like metal surfaces, like the metal backing of the Ikea desk mat I have). Not a hundred percent sure I would recommend it when it likely costs more than the mouse itself, but I do appreciate the convenience of wireless functionally without worrying about battery life.

I haven't used any of the aftermarket Qi charging disks, but if they're anything like the Qi charging for my phone it's going to be fairly restrictive in where the mouse can sit to activate charging (i.e. you have to consciously put it on the charger and can't use the mouse during that time). The official Logitech mousepad in comparison lets you charge from basically anywhere on the mat, give or take some margin around the edges. It won't charge while you're actively moving the mouse around, but you'll be trickle charging every night without having to pay any attention at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve had my G502X Lightspeed for a week and like it, but I do wonder about when I’ll have to charge it. I’m not sure Qi charging is much better than plugging in the USB. The Logitech charging mousepad would be nice but that’s a lot of money and would replace my current mousing surface which I’m not so hot on.

That said, we’ll see how long the battery lasts. If it’s once every two weeks, I’m okay with charging Sunday nights or something similar.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve had my G502X Lightspeed for a week and like it, but I do wonder about when I’ll have to charge it. I’m not sure Qi charging is much better than plugging in the USB. The Logitech charging mousepad would be nice but that’s a lot of money and would replace my current mousing surface which I’m not so hot on.

That said, we’ll see how long the battery lasts. If it’s once every two weeks, I’m okay with charging Sunday nights or something similar.

It really depends on usage, my main G502 needs a charge every 3-4 days since I play 5+ hours of FPSes almost every day at the moment. The secondary 502 and the G Pro get limited use since they're on secondary and tertiary machines and for the former I'd say it's once a week with an hour or two of active use a day, and for the latter maybe every two weeks or less since it mostly clicks on links and opens VNC sessions for a minute or two to monitor stuff, probably less than an hour of active use a day. They're not too bad overall but definitely use more power than travel mice or mice designed for AA batteries like the G602.

Some folks will mod in a smaller battery to save weight and while I'm sure that does decrease the weight I don't think I'd like to charge it every day unless I had one of the pads passively charging things.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, grabbed a G502X Lightspeed from Best Buy using a 20% off coupon a few days back and I'm not sure how long the battery on this will last between charges. The Qi charging docks are about $30 each I think and may be a better idea for battery longevity given they'll charge it up to 80% max while charging directly will get you to 100%. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195721197094 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/194368659105

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BTW those aren't Qi docks, they just connect to the charging pads on the bottom of the mouse under the disk. From the GN video and reviews of the soarking one it was pointed out that the mouse will intentionally only charge to about 70% power on those pads because they're meant for the powerplay coin/disk to be charging the mouse all of the time, so it protects the lipo battery by keeping it lower than full since it would be always charging on the PowerPlay mat.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Incidentally, there are Qi charging puck replacements that may work but I’m a bit wary of possibly blowing up my $140+ mouse, too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

necrobobsledder posted:

Incidentally, there are Qi charging puck replacements that may work but I’m a bit wary of possibly blowing up my $140+ mouse, too.

Oh yeah I do see those in some searches. It's tempting, I think it'd be hard to gently caress up 5v output especially since the mouse seems to be capable of cutting off the charging when it wants to on those pins.
https://www.amazon.com/IVYGROW-Wireless-PowerCoin-Lightspeed-superlight/dp/B0B5HKF7JK is one.

I think the main thing for me is that putting it onto a base and putting it onto a pad to charge is going to be a similar level of effort. At the moment I'm cable charging when I need to and it's often while I'm using the mouse if it says it's low and I figure I'll be moving it around for 6+ hours after the warning. The powerplay mat would probably work for me now that I know it can go under a mousepad but it still feels pricey due to the number of mice I have and receivers I'd want (like, at least two I guess).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the info everyone!

I think for now I will keep it simple and just use the plug-in cable if I need to charge. The battery management of keeping it at 70% makes sense to me, so trying to use some third party adapter to make a glorified dock doesn’t make sense if that’s how it would be.

I use a massive mouse pad due to a decade of arm aiming instead of wrist aiming, so I’d imagine the power play mousepad would eventually piss me off given that it seems to be relatively small, and I’m not keen on giving myself an RSI to make it work for me

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Thanks for the info everyone!

I think for now I will keep it simple and just use the plug-in cable if I need to charge. The battery management of keeping it at 70% makes sense to me, so trying to use some third party adapter to make a glorified dock doesn’t make sense if that’s how it would be.

I use a massive mouse pad due to a decade of arm aiming instead of wrist aiming, so I’d imagine the power play mousepad would eventually piss me off given that it seems to be relatively small, and I’m not keen on giving myself an RSI to make it work for me
I got a mouse mat along with my G502X Lightspeed last week. I always thought they were dumb but now I’m a convert. I’ve also softened on RGB in my old age.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 29, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bondematt posted:

The button switches in the MX Ergo (and presumably all Logitech products) suck poo poo and fail after two years; I'm using one right now and dragging with the left button is impossible because it stutters the entire time.

Which is a shame because the thing is extremely comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

pseudorandom name posted:

The button switches in the MX Ergo (and presumably all Logitech products) suck poo poo and fail after two years; I'm using one right now and dragging with the left button is impossible because it stutters the entire time.

Which is a shame because the thing is extremely comfortable.

I had the same experience with a G703, replaced the switches with Kailh and it's been great. Those stock switches are just straight up trash and it was hilarious to realize that same crap was on their pro tier mice as well.

The Deft Pro has been fantastic, I didn't like the drag of the original ruby bearing balls so I replaced them with ceramics which are working well.