Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The decks I had Hit Monkey in I swapped for angela and it felt better. He’s completely fine imo. MODOK level of fun and points for his archetype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I randomly unlocked thanos but don't have many of the standard toys that get used with him so I tried running a death/thanos mix, which is doing alright but not exactly catapulting me up the ranks. Here's what I am currently running, any suggestions?

Deadpool, forge, beast, carnage, wolverine, venom, juggernaut, killmonger, shuri, she-hulk, thanos, death

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Hit monkey counts himself for the buff?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Street Horrrsing posted:

I randomly unlocked thanos but don't have many of the standard toys that get used with him so I tried running a death/thanos mix, which is doing alright but not exactly catapulting me up the ranks. Here's what I am currently running, any suggestions?

Deadpool, forge, beast, carnage, wolverine, venom, juggernaut, killmonger, shuri, she-hulk, thanos, death

I get what you're going for with Beast but, idk, Thanos decks often end up with pretty full hands as is thanks to all the extra draws from the stones. Seems like trying to do bounce on top of that is a good way to make it so you can't draw cards or even bounce everything you want to. Don't let me stop you if he's working out for you, though.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Hit monkey counts himself for the buff?

No the card text says "each other card".

Street Horrrsing posted:

This random snap.fan deck seems to be what you're going for, maybe a little refined. Ok cube rate for a small sample size.
https://snap.fan/decks/232778/

canyonero fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 6, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He doesnt count himself, but he does count all other cards played that turn. You can play hit monkey as your first card or your fifth card in a 5-card turn and he'll still go to 8.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
One caveat to that is that you always want to play Mysterio before Hit Monkey so he pops out his illusions. Other than that though order doesn't matter in the slightest.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

April 6th - OTA Balance Updates

For those unaware, “OTA” stands for “over the air” and refers to a hotfix change we’re making to content outside of our usual semi-monthly patch schedule. This week, we’re making four changes in an ongoing effort to encourage a more diverse spread of decks and individual cards being played. To set expectations, this patch won’t cure all the metagame’s ills, but it should represent an improvement until our next, action-packed patch.

Red Skull
5/13 -> 5/12
Ongoing: Enemy cards at this location have +1 Power.

As our previous patch notes discussed, we last adjusted Red Skull to weaken specifically his interactions with Shuri and Taskmaster. Our goal was to keep his strength otherwise flat or even slightly improved and see how things settled once we’d softened Thanos’s grip on the metagame. We know many players disagreed with that approach, and we’re weighing that feedback as we continue to debate internally how “aggressive” our balance updates should be.

In this case, things settled into an improved metagame, but with decks based around Shuri and Taskmaster still too strong for our liking. We recognize Shuri is clearly the true offender here, and we have a balance change for Shuri ready. However, that change to Shuri needs a patch to be implemented–we can’t make it via OTA. So this is an interim adjustment to weaken the Shuri deck just a bit more. We do expect Shuri to remain viable after this Red Skull tweak, but we don’t want to drastically nerf multiple “innocent” cards when we have an incoming nerf to Shuri herself.

Once that change to Shuri is live, will we revert this or previous Red Skull changes? Maybe, but we’re going to give that some time because we’d rather ensure a larger shift in the metagame.

Sunspot
1/1 -> 1/0
At the end of each turn, gain +1 Power for each unspent Energy.

Sunspot is one of the most heavily-played cards in the game. The why is obvious: he’s strong, he’s in Series 2, and he has powerful synergies with other cards like She-Hulk and Infinaut. The opportunity cost for having him in your deck is also very low, since you only have to have 1 spare Energy on any turn to unlock his strength floor, and the ceiling can be very high.

All of this adds up to a solid criteria for a minor nerf, creating space for less-played cards to compete more often for slots in decks. We were curious if nerfing She-Hulk would have any impact on Sunspot, but truthfully we didn’t expect any change and assumed we’d be making this adjustment sooner rather than later. We did evaluate some other changes to Sunspot, but for Series 2 cards we want to retain the elegance of the original design, just a touch weaker. As a default card in both Shuri and Thanos, this change does impact those decks a bit more than others, too.

Shadow King
4/3 -> 3/3
On Reveal: Set all cards here to their original base Power.

Shadow King’s whole purpose is to fight back against exactly the kind of thing that Shuri’s doing, but this card simply released too weak to be a consideration for most decks. We recognize his status as a Series 4 card that’s used to answer powerful decks, rather than fuel them, might limit his potential to impact the metagame. However, we’re happy to just give him this boost and see where things land from there.

Sentry
4/8 - You can't play this at the right location. On Reveal: Add a -8 Power Void to the right location.
->
4/10 - You can't play this at the right location. On Reveal: Add a -10 Power Void to the right location.

Sentry’s a card that just hasn’t found a great home yet. While these number changes aren’t an obviously impactful buff, it does increase the potential reward for running Sentry and the potential damage donating your Void with Viper can do. This is just a change we’ve been interested to try out, so we’re making it here.

quote:

Our Balance Future

Speaking of changes we’re interested in trying out, we have an exciting announcement about the future of card balance for MARVEL SNAP! Starting with our upcoming April patch–currently scheduled for 4/18–we’ll be making weekly changes to cards in the game. Our patch every four weeks will continue to release on Tuesdays and include card updates as well, but the intervening weeks will each feature changes going live on Thursdays via OTA.

We know this is just the sort of balance attention and prioritization that many of you have clamored for, so thanks for your passionate feedback! It’s been a multi-team effort to get this process buttoned up over the last month, and we all hope you’re as excited as we are.

Let’s go ahead and address some of the questions that should be popular:

Why Thursdays?

Why not? Actually, Thursdays are just a good day to slide into the rest of our schedule and ensure our QA team has enough time to verify these updates. It also avoids stepping on new card releases or hot/featured locations.

What kind of changes will we make?

Our OTA tool gives us the ability to make changes within about a week or two, but it is limited in what we can change. We’re continuing to develop the tool and expand its limitations, but for now you can expect weekly Thursday changes to be numbers-only like the above, with our larger patches still addressing most major changes to card functionality and VFX.

Will we be nerfing or buffing cards?

Ah! Well, as you can see with Sentry and Shadow King, we do intend to buff cards through OTA. In fact, we’re going to guarantee at least one buff in each of these updates. We will also use this method to balance the metagame with nerfs, but only when it’s deemed necessary.

How many cards will change each week?

Our target is 2 to 4 cards each week. On patch weeks it’s possible we’ll change more, as that’s a unique access point for us.

How will we pick which cards to change?

We have a list of buffs (and a very small list of nerfs) that we’re making to existing content. We’re prioritizing them based on how we expect the individual changes to affect the metagame or even combine with new cards and locations, but we’ll shift them around based on the live metagame.

Why not just make all those changes now?

One of the things we’re wary of with balance patches is “how much change is too much?” We’ve avoided changing more than a handful of cards at a time for a while now, and we think that’s a good thing because they’re easier to digest. Plus, pacing out these changes lets us lightly freshen the metagame periodically, rather than shake it all up at once and then watch things settle into a new state of stasis.

How long will we do this?

We’ve planned a trial period for May, and depending on how it goes we may continue onward. We’re optimistic about that at the moment.

--------------------------

That’s all we’ve got for now!

We hope you’re stoked for the future of weekly balance updates, and we’ll see you in a couple weeks as we turn the page on a new SNAPter in the book of digital balance!

Like chapter?

Yeah, you get it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This sounds pretty good.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Those actually look like good changes. A couple of buffs to go with a couple of nerfs.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

i am sick to loving death of shuri and you're telling me i've got another two loving weeks of having to deal with shuri decks, while nerfing Red Skull into the loving ground even harder

what the gently caress

this practically makes RS useless outside of Shuri decks. Zero -> RS on T6 is worse than Zero -> Attuma -> almost any other 1 drop

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sandwolf posted:

i am sick to loving death of shuri and you're telling me i've got another two loving weeks of having to deal with shuri decks, while nerfing Red Skull into the loving ground even harder

what the gently caress

Uh, you realize it's not "we're not nerfing Shuri", it's "we have to futz with the game code and Apple demands a week's lead time before any app update" (ask me how I know that last bit).

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

..Also the last Red Skull nerf was a buff anyways.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quackles posted:

Uh, you realize it's not "we're not nerfing Shuri", it's "we have to futz with the game code and Apple demands a week's lead time before any app update" (ask me how I know that last bit).

it is still "enjoy two more weeks of Shuri decks" they have had a month of awareness about this.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I had my fun with Shuri on to the next meta defining over powered series 4 card.

I’ll be surprised if the card doesn’t get the Leader Treatment.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Sandwolf posted:

what the gently caress

this practically makes RS useless outside of Shuri decks. Zero -> RS on T6 is worse than Zero -> Attuma -> almost any other 1 drop

Oh hi. Got this 1 minute ago so I am just going to join the Shuri mayhem in that amazing balanced card game, lost in stagnation while asking for monthly MMO fees :discourse:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

OTA patch looks good, surprised by the Sunspot nerf but not displeased by it. I can only hope the Shuri nerf is going to be a total overhaul if it's going to take this long.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sandwolf posted:

what the gently caress

The less of the nazi cards I see in the game, the happier I am.

All of these changes are good as hell. Shadow King in Surfer Control? Yes please. Big boy Sentry in clog/junk? Absolutely yes.

Sunspot 1:0 is alright, the only bad part is Kitty's gonna come back at some point. But this makes it easier to choose between Bast or Sunspot on 1 when both are in hand.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My best guess for how to nerf Shuri while still keeping her somewhat viable is just putting a cap on how high she can raise the next card to. Double the power of the next card (max 20) or something like that. Otherwise she's just a more expensive Forge.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Great news in general! Especially "shuri is the true offender"! But going from monthly to weekly? Seems like a lot!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sandwolf posted:

it is still "enjoy two more weeks of Shuri decks" they have had a month of awareness about this.

in general, developers have been working on things before they tell you publicly they've been working on things. them having said this two weeks ago wouldn't change how long it'd take to come out

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

flatluigi posted:

in general, developers have been working on things before they tell you publicly they've been working on things. them having said this two weeks ago wouldn't change how long it'd take to come out

then how did they effectively hit Thanos? Space Stone had to be reworked, same with Quinjet, it wasn't just numbers moving. So how were they on top of that one but Shuri has been allowed two months to dominate the meta?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my gut says 'they were also working on that patch for longer than you heard about it'

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

flatluigi posted:

my gut says 'they were also working on that patch for longer than you heard about it'

but *that* deck only started dominating once they nerfed Surfer and Zabu???

also it's genuinely gross they let Shuri dominate the meta for so long and are going to nerf her probably literally the day she goes down to Series 3. That's gross.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

No Wave posted:

Great news in general! Especially "shuri is the true offender"! But going from monthly to weekly? Seems like a lot!

Every week for April, but only as a trial. You're right that weekly is probably too much in the long term but it could use a blitz. It's nice that they've committed to at least one buff a patch. There's a ton of poor cards in the game. I'm not sure the Sentry was that bad, but Shadow King sure was. The comment of having at least one buff every balance effort is good, and hopefully they go even further than that. It'll take time to figure out which cards need adjusting downwards after the Shuri nerf, but it's easy enough to identify a pile of cards that can safety be buffed.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I have never thought that sunspot is a problem card. Bizarre! Shuri continues to be dumb. I like sentry change, 4/8 felt too baseline for the negatives but viper synergy stronger than ever now. Shadow King needs to be global to be effective otherwise he's only really bothering Angela bishop and hit monkey

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I have never thought that sunspot is a problem card. Bizarre! Shuri continues to be dumb. I like sentry change, 4/8 felt too baseline for the negatives but viper synergy stronger than ever now. Shadow King needs to be global to be effective otherwise he's only really bothering Angela bishop and hit monkey

I think it's less that Sunspot is a direct problem, and more that Sunspot is one of the most played cards in the game, so this will hopefully encourage a bit more variety in that slot in more decks.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Thanos was the good guy fun card, compared favorably here to the bad vibes of Galactus, and they actually buffed him because they thought he was weak. And then Zabu and Silver Surfer got an adjustment and Thanos suddenly it was obvious how broken Thanos was. His nerf was pretty fast.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Snazzy Frocks posted:

shadow king being global would make it almost as hated as leech

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

then how did they effectively hit Thanos? Space Stone had to be reworked, same with Quinjet, it wasn't just numbers moving. So how were they on top of that one but Shuri has been allowed two months to dominate the meta?

When you're doing app development there are essentially 2 ways to update your app. The way the app stores will let you know is the only way, an app update which take about a week from cut to release for various boring reasons. The other way is to push a new bundle to the app, it's pretty much instant*. It would be very easy to push out numbers changes but it's very possible text changes require an app update, especially if the ability you want isn't on a different card already.

* Android can be a bit funny about this.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

My best guess for how to nerf Shuri while still keeping her somewhat viable is just putting a cap on how high she can raise the next card to. Double the power of the next card (max 20) or something like that. Otherwise she's just a more expensive Forge.

eh, that's an inelegant and non-natural design, plenty of other ways to do things from the outright wrecking encouraged by the more reactionary whiners (i.e. moving to 5 energy without a substantial power buff) to redesigns that either change the nature of the card (i.e. mega-Forge that pairs with Brood/Sinister) or just breaks her synergy with the taskmaster/zola clone effects (i.e. On Reveal: Double the power of your highest power card at this location [maybe paired with an energy cost reduction/etc. based on testing])

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Sunspot is weaker at lower CLs where you're probably hitting your drops every turn and theres no She Hulk. Once you have She Hulk he's amazing value, say you play Sunspot on 1, skip 5 and play She Hulk and Areo on 6. Suddenly he's 1/6 and youve played 17 other power. That's 22 power out of 5 and 6 which in the before times waa decent. And he can be out in a closed location etc. You can't sleeze a site off Sunspot with Prof X like you can with most 1 drops.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think I just don't get Bounce decks, they do a lot but feel really vulnerable to locations being bad and just no counterplay in them. I've been trying one out and it wins and loses but as soon as your opponent flips Shuri it's got nothing in the tank. What's the deal?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not like 'losing to shuri' is something unique to bounce decks, but i think it's more of a deck that wants to try to fish for cubes than winrate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I also don't really see the point of the Sunspot nerf but whatever

I'm glad they are working to buff some cards in the game because there are a LOT of cards that no one really uses because they just aren't very useful in play. Sentry/Shadow King were two of those, but there are a lot of older cards that can use tweaking.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I've often wondered if making Quicksilver a 1/3 makes him an insta lock for many decks

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh man that Max Grecke variant of Vulture rules.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Chainclaw posted:

I think it's less that Sunspot is a direct problem, and more that Sunspot is one of the most played cards in the game, so this will hopefully encourage a bit more variety in that slot in more decks.

Yeah, it really feels like another Angela situation. Compare the brief note from back then:

"- Angela [2/1] -> [2/0]
Angela is a card that sees a lot of prevalence across many decks, so we’re nerfing her a bit to make other options more appealing."

with the following line from that patch commentary:
"All of this adds up to a solid criteria for a minor nerf, creating space for less-played cards to compete more often for slots in decks."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

the Sunspot nerf is probably deserved in terms of play rate and what he gives you vs. existing 1 drops, the thing that makes the change feel slightly awkward imo is the (currently on-hold) release of a comparable Series 5 card in Kitty Pryde, who accomplishes many of the same things (albeit with different specific synergies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A bigger problem is that a lot of 1 drops generally suck and Sunspot was probably the best one, especially of the early cards. The only other ones I use really frequently are Agent 13 and Ant-Man because he gives a bonus if you fill that lane.