Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
For every capitalist that we slaughter and eat, capitalism loses some health points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

FlapYoJacks posted:

What percentage of businesses operating expenses on average are wages?

Operating expenses? Not sure, they're historically pretty high. But that's not the point, the point is that there are two separate struggles when talking about labour prices and commodity prices - commodity prices set the total amount to be fought over between labour and capital within any specific business, labour doesn't directly set commodity prices except for the price of itself. When looking at things like labours share of GDP you can see that the workforce actually producing everything is getting a worse and worse cut of the things they make: https://ercouncil.org/2019/chart-of-the-week-week-7-2019/

namesake has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 6, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FDR took this one to heart

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

goddamn tease

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

anime was right posted:

FDR took this one to heart

It's bizarre to me how few of our quasi-aristocrats figure this out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

:getin:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1644065334352293888?s=20

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mycomancy posted:

It's bizarre to me how few of our quasi-aristocrats figure this out.

Why should they? Neoliberalism won and there's a huge police state with global reach at its disposal.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

They aren't and wages only started rising after high inflstion had become entrenched.

To be fair if the numbers posted earlier are true then wages did outpace inflation for the first year of Covid. No wonder it's over!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

FlapYoJacks posted:

For every capitalist that we slaughter and eat, capitalism loses some health points!

endless ranks of bootlicking weird managerial types rubbing their hands together delighted at the prospect of being chosen to recieve the gift of nouveau riche jelly from the capitalist hivequeen

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

there's suggesting price controls? what is this, the PRAVDA????

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

skooma512 posted:

Why should they? Neoliberalism won and there's a huge police state with global reach at its disposal.

yeah in the 1930s they didnt have drones and tanks so its hard to say what could happen this go around

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

KirbyKhan posted:

They out there stabbing tech bros

https://twitter.com/raphousetv2/status/1643602647054946304

They haven't found the stabber yet

This guy must be super unlucky and also super lucky:

-Unlucky because he was walking a few blocks from a friend's house back to his hotel at like 2am and was attacked in that short timeframe

-Lucky because he wasn't robbed or at least not his phone, since he was able to use it to call and report he'd been stabbed

-Unlucky because he died

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think he was buying cocaine.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
OpenAI has sponsored a UBI study. First study showing a massive effect on employment, and it finds more educated people will be impacted greater than less educated.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2303.10130

quote:

"Our findings reveal that around 80% of the U.S. workforce could have at least 10% of their work tasks affected by the introduction of LLMs, while approximately 19% of workers may see at least 50% of their tasks impacted. We do not make predictions about the development or adoption timeline of such LLMs. The projected effects span all wage levels, with higher-income jobs potentially facing greater exposure to LLM capabilities and LLM-powered software. Significantly, these impacts are not restricted to industries with higher recent productivity growth.

Our analysis suggests that, with access to an LLM, about 15% of all worker tasks in the US could be completed significantly faster at the same level of quality. When incorporating software and tooling built on top of LLMs, this share increases to between 47 and 56% of all tasks."

quote:

Our analysis indicates that the impacts of LLMs like GPT-4, are likely to be pervasive. While LLMs have consistently improved in capabilities over time, their growing economic effect is expected to persist and increase even if we halt the development of new capabilities today. We also find that the potential impact of LLMs expands significantly when we take into account the development of complementary technologies. Collectively, these characteristics imply that Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPTs) are general-purpose technologies (GPTs).

Video talks about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3o1MW2G5Rs

err has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Apr 6, 2023

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

if you arent high enough that whatever your watching becomes good you probably shouldnt be going to a phish concer

I have been to the parking lots of several phish shows, which seemed better than actually going in

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

More domestic terrorists undermining democracy :argh:

quote:

Demonstrators forced their way into the building that houses BlackRock’s office in Paris Thursday, taking their protest against the government’s pension reforms to the world’s biggest money manager.

Videos shared on social media showed protesters entering the Centorial office block, located near the Opéra Garnier opera house, holding red flares and firing smoke bombs.

About 100 people, including representatives of several labor unions, were on the ground floor of the building for about 10 minutes, chanting anti-reform slogans. BlackRock’s office is located on the third floor.

“The meaning of this action is quite simple. We went to the headquarters of BlackRock to tell them: the money of workers, for our pensions, they are taking it,” Jerome Schmitt, spokesman for French union SUD, told CNN affiliate BFM-TV. BlackRock declined to comment.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Would you stop with this already its such a tiring gimmick

You don't have to defend all the Debras and Phils of the world and when you careen into every conversation like this about the boomers it makes you less and less sympathetic

You are the boomer we are talking about right now and it sucks and i wish you would stop. You are a way better poster when you're contributing something substantive instead of policing our conversations about our lovely elders

sounds like someone needs their hug box!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

boomer making fun of tool used by neurodivergent people in order to score internet points, nice

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/neekolul/status/1234601269127458817?lang=en

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Settle down Beavis.
- Willa's correct.

:yeah:

The generation gap is a class gap. Boomer oligarchs got us here, and millenial and GenZ and Alpha oligarchs will replace them as is their birthright.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

skooma512 posted:

The generation gap is a class gap. Boomer oligarchs got us here, and millenial and GenZ and Alpha oligarchs will replace them as is their birthright.

Don't forget gen x too. They can also go gently caress themselves

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

Ok boomer thank you for your valued opinion about my generation this does not in any way undermine your point or prove mine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmbo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The class dynamic is the more important one, between class and generation,

HOWEVER,

there is the very real issue of a humongous percentage of Boomers being irretrievably propagandized shitheads who, despite never really owning much capital, will ruthlessly defend the privilege of the ownership class to dry-fist into prolapse any kind of labor power, worker solidarity, or reforms of the status quo until it dies and gets kicked into a gutter to rot, at which point said Boomers will proudly give themselves a gold star because they think a boss somewhere likes them.

I will simply pay this in four consecutive interest free 40 year installments with Klarna

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i'm going to pay for my shawarma sandwich over 40 years

to help the GDP

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
all boomers loving suck rear end, and their attempts to divert attention from it are pathetic

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

oh dont worry you can refinance in a year or two when rates come down again :downs:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I am not especially bullish on Boomers either, but if Thorn is coming down hard in agreement with you on something then that's a clear sign you should interrogate the value of that belief

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's fun to look at things only rich people buy and see the prices spiraling out of control since 2010 because 90% of the money made since then has gone to those hundred rich guys and they're competing with each other

Look, if you want to buy the Tampa Bay Rays, you just need to buckle down and start saving. Make a budget and stick to it. Try putting away part of your paycheck in cash in an envelope and keep in it your sock drawer. You'll be surprised how soon the day will come when you open it up to find $1.1 billion in there!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

I am not especially bullish on Boomers either, but if Thorn is coming down hard in agreement with you on something then that's a clear sign you should interrogate the value of that belief

rude

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

excluding fees a 600k mortgage for 40 years at 7% you pay back 1,789,924

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Or, as I like to point out, how do you think your lives will improve when the last of the boomers die & dead-eyed technocrats like harris & buttigieg are running things? :allears:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Jel Shaker posted:

excluding fees a 600k mortgage for 40 years at 7% you pay back 1,789,924

you might think this is a bad deal but, at this pace, 1.8 million dollars might buy you a dozen eggs in 40 years

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the same failson losers in charge will groom their successor failsons to be the same as they are or worse age doesnt matter much just look at turds like mayo fartplug

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SlimGoodbody posted:

yea but it's pretty clear willa feels some weird personal need to die on the cross of being technically correct that ["not *ALL* boomers are class traitors drinking the koolaid, it's only merely slightly just the overwhelming majority of them"]

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Let's go greedflation

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

nexous posted:

you might think this is a bad deal but, at this pace, 1.8 million dollars might buy you a dozen eggs in 40 years

the act of buying a house used to be a long term bet - im putting down roots! now its a bet the american economy won't exist in this form long enough for you to have to shell out for the whole mortgage lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Or, as I like to point out, how do you think your lives will improve when the last of the boomers die & dead-eyed technocrats like harris & buttigieg are running things? :allears:

one way to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

silentsnack posted:

yea but it's pretty clear willa feels some weird personal need to die on the cross of being technically correct that ["not *ALL* boomers are class traitors drinking the koolaid, it's only merely slightly just the overwhelming majority of them"]

i sort of get it its understandable