Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

stev posted:

In Bad Batch do we actually know why the Empire wants Omega at this point? I feel like I might just be misremembering from season 1 - is it just because they can make more clones from her because she's a reliable source of DNA to harvest? They don't even want the clones they have now!

Weird that both shows are simultaneously going down the 'villain wants to clone poo poo' route.

From a couple pages back, but I'm watching Bad Batch now (which looks good, but is very "whatever" in terms of quality) - Episode 9 spoilers: Omega is the only purestrain Jango DNA other than Boba who seems to be MIA, the clones have the accelerated aging thing going on so aren't the real deal..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Farg posted:

I'm gonna kill baby yoda

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this show is so bad dude

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I don’t get the darksaber complaints on this one

He *never* wanted that loving sword, so of course he’d seize the moment to pawn it to the person who probably wanted it the most while leaving out that the weird cyborg never actually claimed the darksaber, but they don’t need to know that

So that means Grogu or Din are getting it back whether they like it or not

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I wonder how much worse that Darksaber conclusion is if you skipped the "Previously on" part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hah yeah, that was hilarious and bizarre. "Why are they showing a recap of this mechanical detail of the mine rescue? Who cares about that grievous spider guy and that Din was briefly in a cage and she sprung him"

"oh"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I really enjoyed this episode, but this tweet isn't entirely wrong.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1643750591120949249?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ratjaculation posted:

Baby Yoda will be shot in the chest, where his armour will save him

Mandalorians: Well that seals it, give the baby the darksaber.
Bo: Haha good jok-
Mandalorians: :blastu:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's an unfortunate framing problem for Star Wars that we have two shows side by side showing both how people might join and be willing to work for the Empire and how they would come out at the far end and be rehabilitated, and those shows are very different.

Tony Gilroy's Star Wars denazification show probably still has Moff Gideon off to the gallows, the junior space-nazis hit with 'we could shoot you but agree to stop being nazis and for the sake of reconciliation we will hold our nose and agree you were Just Following Orders;, and Jack Blacks 'oh you always wanted to be a town planner and the only option for you was to be a space nazi town planner? Are you a good town planner? Cool', but the tone of that show would not be what we are seeing in Mandalorian.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I really enjoyed this episode, but this tweet isn't entirely wrong.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1643750591120949249?s=20

Everything looks like absolutely garbage, lmao. It would rule if they leaned fully into the camp vibe, but the show tries to split the difference with a story and dialogue played mostly flat but delivered as if it's goofy camp. The result is something that just feels cheap and, worst of all, boring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the tone is just all over the place

I thought this episode was fine, but this season is way way weaker than the last two

It’s even worse than the episodes we got during Book of Boba Fett

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone quipped that Katee seemed to be better with the helmet on, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that she seems either bored or displeased with the material she's tasked with trying to sell.

I kinda felt/saw the same thing with Rosario's Ahsoka, which doesn't bode well for her show.

And to echo someone else, yeah, given that they already went with the "Elder Wand" treatment, there's no way they don't bite on the "Arkenstone" thing for the Darksaber.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad to see I was proven 100% right about the Darksaber issue, too bad it took them an additional four episodes to point it out.

While you can quibble that Plaisir 15's environment design wasn't very Star Wars-y, Space Epcot was at least distinctive, and having so many planets visited that we have to bend the set-design rulebook to differentiate them is a success problem.

I now await the fan art of what Jack Black's character looked like in Imperial uniform.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Having Bo and Dinn as beat cops investigating crime is something that I did not know I wanted, but now that I've seen it, I must have more.

edit: Goddamn, I somehow forgot about the literal star-crossed lovers at the start of the episode.

So goofy. So good.

And the captain going from floating in her tank to sitting on a chair was :kiss:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Someone quipped that Katee seemed to be better with the helmet on, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that she seems either bored or displeased with the material she's tasked with trying to sell.

She looks like she's seconds away from bursting into laughter

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Madurai posted:

I now await the fan art of what Jack Black's character looked like in Imperial uniform.

I half expected them to call him Zsinj.

Vinylshadow posted:

She looks like she's seconds away from bursting into laughter

Grogu has a Happy Meal!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I liked this episode in that special way where I don't think we should keep talking about it. Let's just, you know, move on.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I half expected them to call him Zsinj.

Grogu has a Happy Meal!

Sir Grogu deserves a Happy Meal :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Sir Grogu deserves a Happy Meal :colbert:

Every time I talk to my mother about this show she's always like "Why doesn't the Mandalorian ever feed Baby Yoda and just leaves him with all these sketchy babysitters all the time? He's a lovely dad."

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kinda felt/saw the same thing with Rosario's Ahsoka, which doesn't bode well for her show.

And to echo someone else, yeah, given that they already went with the "Elder Wand" treatment, there's no way they don't bite on the "Arkenstone" thing for the Darksaber.

I know Katee has said she enjoys acting with the helmet on because she gets to act via movement. Instead of acting with her face, she gets to express what her character is feeling via action. She said she would rush over to video village to see what it looked like on screen.

Which is a bit different because Pedro is sometimes not even in the armor. He has a couple guys that wear the suit like 40% of the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It doesn't seem like Sackhoff is really given a lot to work with anyway. What's her face really supposed to do when the range of Bo's character only goes from displeased to exasperated to fed up to...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

It doesn't seem like Sackhoff is really given a lot to work with anyway. What's her face really supposed to do when the range of Bo's character only goes from displeased to exasperated to fed up to...

We haven't gotten to the parts where she gets to sneer villainously yet. I'm sure she'll do fine.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
"So, Lizzo, Jack Black, and The Doc walk into a bar" sounds like a bad setup for a bad joke, and I don't think I'm entirely incorrect.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-Ys_iFwnM

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lobok posted:

She might also like wearing the helmet because it allows her to :rolleyes: with impunity.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah I think it's a core issue with the entire production, not any individual actor. Everything that we see looks so lazy and cheap that I can't imagine what the on-set experience is like. I'm sure everyone on the crew is doing their best but whether it's time, money, or direction from the showrunners, something is not clicking and it's infused into every aspect of the show.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tender Bender posted:

Everything looks like absolutely garbage, lmao. It would rule if they leaned fully into the camp vibe, but the show tries to split the difference with a story and dialogue played mostly flat but delivered as if it's goofy camp. The result is something that just feels cheap and, worst of all, boring.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I thought at least when Doc was asking for forgiveness that Lizzo was going to say "one day..." then pull out a gun and blast him. A "we believe in direct democracy, but we also believe in direct justice" just to give Planet Epcot a bit of an edge. More camp, or more sense of darkness at the edges, just anything other than the odd middle ground of purest beige we ended up with.

On the plus side, the hot Mandalorians are back.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Parkingtigers posted:

Can't believe they went with the whole "dead person has a book of matches from a bar, and visiting that bar breaks the case" detective story trope. But now it's a battle droid and a "spark box", but literally the same trope.

I can't decide if I loved or hated this episode. So, you know, it's Star Wars I guess.

There are so many similarities that I feel like it had to be an homage to the older detective shows. I thought it was cool regardless :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShowTime posted:

I know Katee has said she enjoys acting with the helmet on because she gets to act via movement. Instead of acting with her face, she gets to express what her character is feeling via action. She said she would rush over to video village to see what it looked like on screen.

Which is a bit different because Pedro is sometimes not even in the armor. He has a couple guys that wear the suit like 40% of the time.

The only time he's in the armor is when you see his face. Otherwise it's just VO work.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i had this on my 16 mb portable mp3 player in high school

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Parkingtigers posted:

On the plus side, the hot Mandalorians are back.

would honestly have liked to have seen simon kassianides play boba fett in Book...i think he could have pulled it off

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think Katee Sackhoff is actually that great of an actor so I'm not sure what they expect. I know that sounds a bit harsh, I like her in stuff and she's fine, she suits this type of show but she's not on the level of a Pedro Pascal who can jump from this to something great on HBO or as he's mostly VO maybe a better example is Ewan McGregor who could elevate something as bad as Obi Wan Kenobi to at least semi watchable.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think Katee Sackhoff does a good job of bringing a cartoon character to life. She's hitting the mark better than Rosario Dawson is so far, but we'll see how the live-action Rebels S5Ahsoka show pans out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I think Katee Sackhoff does a good job of bringing a cartoon character to life. She's hitting the mark better than Rosario Dawson is so far, but we'll see how the live-action Rebels S5Ahsoka show pans out.

She's also been playing Bo Katan for a literal decade while Dawson has shown up as Ahsoka twice now.

Also I love how everyone on Twitter was crying "Why does Bo Katan get to take her helmet off when Din had to literally almost kill himself to redeem himself for the stupid cult and he can't take his off?" without realizing for a second that Pedro Pascal was in Calgary filming The Last of Us while Mando S3 was being filmed so Bo Katan gets to take her helmet off because Katee Sackhoff was literally there on set and Pedro wasn't...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine part of the writing process for this episode was stitching together a bunch of unused episode concepts and then slotting in the guest actors where necessary.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Alright, where are we spending the budget this time."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about sets."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about CGI."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about editing."
"GUEST. STARS."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vinylshadow posted:

"GUEST STARS."
"What about sets."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about CGI."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about editing."
"GUEST. STARS."

Unless this was another stealth pilot and the Jack Black and Lizzo limited series is coming in 2026.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

"GUEST STARS."
"What about sets."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about CGI."
"GUEST STARS."
"What about editing."
"GUEST. STARS."

This was the best episode of the season so far, they should continue this trend.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This was the best episode of the season so far, they should continue this trend.

:hmmyes: This is the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yea it elevated the season from bad to mediocre