Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ulf posted:

Can't believe none of you recognize jonny290.

He'd have a modern, $5,000 HAM radio on his back while riding his plywood bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Like I don't gently caress with people's poo poo, but goddamn do I wanna just go out and turn this moron's e-bike 90° so it's parked properly. Especially because I'm getting my bike this weekend and need a parking spot lol.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If they regularly park on your street, a friendly note from a fellow rider might provoke a more desirable response

bizwank fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 4, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It just showed up a couple days ago and hasn't moved, so idk if they even live around here. People have wrecked and dumped auto share cars here before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My sons Suzuki JR50 on the bench for some spring maintenance. I highly recommend getting a bike you can lift onto a workbench.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The carb placement on those is so goddamn polite

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

Like I don't gently caress with people's poo poo, but goddamn do I wanna just go out and turn this moron's e-bike 90° so it's parked properly. Especially because I'm getting my bike this weekend and need a parking spot lol.

E-bike riders all want to be real motorcyclists so bad. One time I parked the GSX-R outside my work next to a buddy's cruiser, and within an hour some guy on an e-bike like this one (but covered in real moto stickers) pulled up and parked next to me. I don't even think he needed to park there, he just wanted to be a part of the club for a few minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The carb placement on those is so goddamn polite

It really is. You just have to pull that side cover with one screw and then the air cleaner and carb can come out.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Is e-bike antipathy widespread? All the bikers I meet on mine are super interested in it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

Is e-bike antipathy widespread? All the bikers I meet on mine are super interested in it.

E-bikes, as in bicycles with electric assist motors and the like are excellent. E-bikes that are made to look like a sport bike so that you can pretend you're a cool dude who totally could get a real bike license if it weren't for that DUI as you cruise down the bike path at 30km/h with no helmet are so, so loving lame.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

In my mind an e bike is a pedal bicycle with some type of integrated electric motor, which may or may not be operator controlled. The Talaria and Sur Ron are not e bikes but small electric motorcycles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

In my mind an e bike is a pedal bicycle with some type of integrated electric motor, which may or may not be operator controlled. The Talaria and Sur Ron are not e bikes but small electric motorcycles.

Yeah this is how I see it too. If it's got no pedals it's a motorbike/scooter

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

quote:

If it's got no pedals it's a motorbike/scooter

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Finger Prince posted:

E-bikes, as in bicycles with electric assist motors and the like are excellent. E-bikes that are made to look like a sport bike so that you can pretend you're a cool dude who totally could get a real bike license if it weren't for that DUI as you cruise down the bike path at 30km/h with no helmet are so, so loving lame.

It's exactly this. I really, really hate to dump on the downtrodden even if they are as such because of their own vices, but around here, the unfortunate reality is that the scooter-type e-bikes are almost always driven by someone who has no idea what they're doing, being visibly unsafe (no helmet, inordinate amount of cargo on the foot plate, etc.) and is sometimes intoxicated. The sportbike ones less so in my experience, but yes there is an air of 'I'm a big boy' that I get whenever I see one that has 'Ninja' decals stuck to it and a fake exhaust pipe.

The pedal-assist bicycle-type ones are nifty, but I still do have a bit of a problem with them. I definitely see people riding them on the sidewalk more often than regular cyclists around here - mostly because a lot of them are driven by food delivery guys who are "just dropping off an order." They fly up the sidewalks and around corners and they've always got their noses buried in a phone attached to their handlebars. In general the advent of Uber/Lyft/SkipTheDishes etc. has been a bane towards everyone because now anyone with GPS on their phone can be a taxi driver and can pull over without warning or hop their bicycle onto the sidewalk. I have always been very vocal against sidewalk cyclists. Funny enough, the e-bike guys generally just ignore me when I tell them to get off the sidewalk, whereas actual cyclists have cursed or spat or called me a racist or tried to fight me (and lost).

I miss the gixxer, but at the same time, having said all this, I really don't, because cars are all of these problems but way worse. Maybe I should consider myself lucky the only thing I have to deal with is the occasional jackass food delivery guy.

A fun anecdote so this reply isn't all bitchy: Years ago I was walking up a residential street to meet some friends at a bar. A guy on a scooter-style e-bike with a cigarette in his mouth and reeking of piss, comes out of an alley, cuts me off and proceeds up the sidewalk. I yell "get off the sidewalk you rear end in a top hat" at him and he stops. Oh great, he wants to fight? Nope, just turns around and - in the most whippet-addled raspy voice I've ever heard - says "aw yer just fucken jealous." Then he continues on. I wish I was wittier, because in the moment (especially having to gear down from 'this guy wants to fight me') I had nothing to say, but a few moments later I thought Yeah buddy, I'm real jealous of your three DUI convictions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What insanity would drive a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk?
That sounds like a nightmare. Cars suck but pedestrians are completely unpredictable and move every which way*. Use the road or a dedicated cycling path WTF

*Example from when I was riding regularly: a certain park I would cycle through on my way to work or school had a dedicated cycling path and a dedicated pedestrian path. Due to poor signage and people ignoring signs, pedestrians would be on the cycling path every day. I'd call out "on your left" or whatever and most of the time people would move to the wrong side, or the left person will jump right and the right person will jump left.

You're telling me cyclists put themselves into that situation on purpose?
Lol

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ebikes lower the barrier of entry to cycling below the very low threshold of 'i must exert myself somewhat', thus they often fall into the hands of people who don't want to exert any effort on anything including cognitively so they're happy to cruise along the sidewalk at walking speed. 50cc mopeds are the same thing for people who have further to go.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: ^^^ Well put, Slavvy.

TotalLossBrain posted:

What insanity would drive a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk?

I'm torn about this one (and have taken my licks in the anti-car thread for talking about sidewalk cyclists), as around here, cycling infrastructure is dogshit. Only a couple of years ago we've just begun to put bike lanes separated by actual barriers on some main streets. I used to cycle a half hour to school each day along Danforth Avenue, a very busy road. There were 'bike lane' indicators back then IIRC, but they were literally just a chevron and a little bicycle painted on the road every few dozen meters. I had people merge or make signalless right turns into me, and more.

We do also have some multi-use-paths, namely the Martin Goodman Trail. It speaks to the fact that idiocy is not limited to any mode of transportation that basically nobody behaves with good etiquette on it. Cyclists will buzz you without warning, pedestrians will freak out and literally dive out of the way if you gently say "passing on your left" while still quite a distance away.

Having seen all of this as a cyclist, pedestrian and motorcyclist (and occasionally driver, though most of my driving was up north in a small town), I do sort of understand why some might elect to ride on the sidewalk out of self-preservation, even if it is totally illegal. But the entitlement of some of them is unreal. If more of them actually shot back with "you want me to ride on the road and get killed?" I might be shamed into a bit of sympathy, but that's never the response, it's always something like "gently caress you *homophobic slur*."

It's circumstantial, to me. If I'm walking home at 3AM and there's nobody around and someone cruises by on a bicycle, I'm probably not going to say much. But if I'm standing outside of a bar with a group of friends and someone actually uses their bell and tries to push through without dismounting, I'm going to deliberately get in their way.

You try to be an ally for cyclists - since what is a motorcycle but a big fast bicycle - but some of them don't make it easy. You could probably say this for a lot of things.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 6, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy sighting??

https://i.imgur.com/TBbOP0r.mp4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That bear wussed out right when he had the chance to do the most good

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

Ebikes lower the barrier of entry to cycling below the very low threshold of 'i must exert myself somewhat', thus they often fall into the hands of people who don't want to exert any effort on anything including cognitively so they're happy to cruise along the sidewalk at walking speed. 50cc mopeds are the same thing for people who have further to go.

I guess DUI X low moral fibre X the worst of the cycling broad church is a pretty ugly portmanteau

Finger Prince posted:

I actually didn't know these existed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My sons Suzuki JR50 on the bench for some spring maintenance. I highly recommend getting a bike you can lift onto a workbench.

for bigger bikes you can just lower the floor

Mister Speaker posted:

The pedal-assist bicycle-type ones are nifty, but I still do have a bit of a problem with them.

Probably only a matter of time until the more powerful pedal assist ones go the way of gas mopeds and start needing plates

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 6, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Renaissance Robot posted:

Probably only a matter of time until the more powerful pedal assist ones go the way of gas mopeds and start needing plates
Already the case for the 45km/h category in the Netherlands. They need the same type of number plate and insurance a moped needs. Because they go at moped speeds, they have to follow moped rules, which includes not being allowed on cycle paths in many places within city limits where the maximum speed is 50km/h or less. After all, your speed is closer to that of cars than the speed of normal cyclists.

The 25km/h category does not, but since this year you do need a helmet for those. Too many old people were getting into accidents on them - several times as often as on normal bicycles.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Already the case for the 45km/h category in the Netherlands. They need the same type of number plate and insurance a moped needs. Because they go at moped speeds, they have to follow moped rules, which includes not being allowed on cycle paths in many places within city limits where the maximum speed is 50km/h or less. After all, your speed is closer to that of cars than the speed of normal cyclists.

The 25km/h category does not, but since this year you do need a helmet for those. Too many old people were getting into accidents on them - several times as often as on normal bicycles.

Wish my country was this smart

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It was a nice day, so took Bob out:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

for bigger bikes you can just lower the floor

:catstare: what witchcraft is this? A motorcycle that just stands up by itself?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beve Stuscemi posted:

what witchcraft is this? A motorcycle that just stands up by itself?

I love House of Leaves.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I mean lame or not, whatever, but in this case 1) don't park like a shithead, and 2) it's not a licensed motor vehicle and shouldn't be parked on the road in the first place! :argh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

In my experience e-bikes and e-scooters on bike trails are universally either ancient dementia patients with no ability to control their vehicle or young assholes who buzz walkers/bicycle riders at 20mph

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Imo the worst bike path offenders are people riding those weaving tricycle things. Can't go in a straight line, you literally have to weave about the entire width of the riding surface to propel yourself forward.

And they're very enthusiastic about it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Incredible.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'd be terrified to ride that passed 35 mph.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

fucken siiiiiiiick

A few years ago when I was waxing nostalgic and ended up buying a BMX bike, I think this is actually what I wanted.

It just keeps getting better the more you look at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder how much it shakes from that not-supermono engine

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I’m just imagining the owner coming into the bicycle shop our partner ran and him sending them to the scooter shop, who would try to send him to the bicycle shop.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm afraid to ask but does anybody know how the clutch is supposed to work?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Stick your finger in and push

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

https://www.bikeexif.com/custom-ducati-bmx-motorcycle

quote:

He claims the bike is actually the perfect bike for a “relaxing ride,” with its light weight and what he calls an “unobtrusive appearance.”

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bizwank posted:

Unobtrusive appearance

:hmmno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I'm afraid to ask but does anybody know how the clutch is supposed to work?

Scooter style centripetal clutch