Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Infinitum posted:

Living a Life

lifeing

wifeing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxamoHkAbY

e; snipeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I really liked my N64 at the time, but there's no way I'd have the patience to play some of those games today. Can't believe I beat Castlevania 64, thinking about some of the more frustrating parts of that game, (and seeing how ugly it was,) there's no way I'd have the patience for it now. Of course with the much wider variety of games available to me these days, my habits are going to be different. I do kind of miss really digging into and mastering a game like I would back in the days when I only had 5 - 10 available to me at a time. There's nothing really stopping me from doing that now, other than the constant allure of something new, but that allure is powerful.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Hell yeah. Just got the best character in Chrono Cross.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Games evolve with the times. What was considered 'The Standard' back in the NES/Mega Drive era is different to modern sensibilities.

What hasn't changed are games taking up more and more space for Reasons
https://twitter.com/DaiIySWGames/status/1643675115752927236

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

Huh, I always assumed it was supposed to be “liv a lieve” (as in “live your life” and “live show”). That’s much less interesting then

I could have sworn one of the tracks from the Sonic OVA was called this but that's Look-a-like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUENLoRGvvs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Games evolve with the times. What was considered 'The Standard' back in the NES/Mega Drive era is different to modern sensibilities.

What hasn't changed are games taking up more and more space for Reasons
https://twitter.com/DaiIySWGames/status/1643675115752927236

hahaha

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

N64 polygons are less hideous than PS1 polygons, but way more hideous than Dreamcast polygons

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Redezga posted:

Hell yeah. Just got the best character in Chrono Cross.

You sure did!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hwurmp posted:

N64 polygons are less hideous than PS1 polygons, but way more hideous than Dreamcast polygons

Hard disagree. The N64 makes everything look like it’s been smeared around a bunch, PS1’s pixels stay nice and chunky.

Then again I always preferred software rendering on PC too so that may just be a me thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
N64 has good models/polygons but awful textures, wasn’t the texture memory extremely tiny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least the N64's textures don't wobble

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
EGM ruled. I bought that magazine every month until they went under. I think they gave assassin's creed a bad review and ubisoft pulled ads.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

skeletronics posted:

I really liked my N64 at the time, but there's no way I'd have the patience to play some of those games today. Can't believe I beat Castlevania 64, thinking about some of the more frustrating parts of that game, (and seeing how ugly it was,) there's no way I'd have the patience for it now. Of course with the much wider variety of games available to me these days, my habits are going to be different. I do kind of miss really digging into and mastering a game like I would back in the days when I only had 5 - 10 available to me at a time. There's nothing really stopping me from doing that now, other than the constant allure of something new, but that allure is powerful.

I just played this game and enjoyed it. The camera sucked and the one spot where you have to be in a specific room at 3:00 am sucked but I don't really have any other complaints. Not exactly a hidden gem but it was pretty neat. I'm actually astonished to see it called out as ugly--it has the usual N64 low poly count but I thought the art direction was really good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The PS1 is just a fake Super NES-CD
:smuggo:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Look at castle town in OOT and then tell me there's a graphic designer for that game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
there are no good games on the Nintendo 64, unfortunately

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's kinda like the ps5 tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and the N64 is a 32bit system

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PS5 has no games period.

N64 had games, if not always good ones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the n64 is good i can't believe what I'm hearing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

Look at castle town in OOT and then tell me there's a graphic designer for that game.

it looks fine op, especially on an old display where the polygons won't pop out from the pre-rendered background like they do on emulator with a modern monitor

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Diddy Kong Racing was pr rad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good 64 games
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Majora's Mask

That's it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The N64 had Snowboard Kids!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

there are no good games on the Nintendo 64, unfortunately

Wrong, Starcraft released for the n64. I don't care how compromised it was, still good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
buncha clowns trying to look tough by bullying an excellent console

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If the PS1 is so cool, why did it need 2 CDs for Resident Evil 2 when the N64 only needed one cartridge :smug:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
nintendoh suxty-poor

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr Hootington posted:

EGM ruled. I bought that magazine every month until they went under. I think they gave assassin's creed a bad review and ubisoft pulled ads.

I miss it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtLt32DYWEo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
"Oh it's fine if you smear vaseline on your screen and only use vacuum tubes" an attempt at an honest argument.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nintendo 64 is better than play station - me at 8 years old and also now at 32

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

nintendo 64 is better than play station - me at 8 years old and also now at 32

yup

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

N64 has good models/polygons but awful textures, wasn’t the texture memory extremely tiny

They also used trilinear filtering or something to make their tiny textures still look smooth. Unfortunately it's so low source of textures for large objects that it often looked really smooth.

We had Nintendos when I was a kid so out of dumbass necessity I didn't like "the jaggies" of playstation, and I used to really dislike how in Duke Nukem 3D you'd get close to a wall and it was all super Nintendo graphics suddenly.

Nowadays I've come to really like the early Playstation style, and we've had whole new games done in it already because it has stylistic appeal, and the restrictions are artistically challenging constraints to work with, especially when you can cheat since it's just a design choice you have the luxury of taking.

I know of one game in progress meant to look like an N64 production but in general I think the generic low poly art with relatively flat textures and shaders seems to kind of does the job of being N64y without needing to go in with smeary textures or weird 2D sprites that always face you or fan out in an X. Could also be a ton more N64 style lovers out there I just haven't stumbled into yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nintendrones trying to categorize Zelda as an rpg in a sad attempt to defeat the “n64 has no rpgs” argument

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

If the PS1 is so cool, why did it need 2 CDs for Resident Evil 2 when the N64 only needed one cartridge :smug:

equality

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The 32-bit console wars have reignited…

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe Banjo Tooie would have been a good game if they had less space per cartridge............

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Wrong, Starcraft released for the n64. I don't care how compromised it was, still good.

I had that cart, it was...difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Imho the greatest ps1 games have outlasted the greatest n64 ones…