Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

I don't think it says the number of ground vehicles lost for Ukraine, which annoys me regardless of the reality/unreality of this document. It has Russian Ground vehicles but only SAMs lost for Ukraine, show me the Ukrainian ground vehicles lost, what a silly comparison!!

Also I'm pretty sure Russia has confirmed more aircraft losses than 7 fighters and 8 helicopters so that doesn't make sense either

Also, combat sustainability of the two sides is both moderate when one side took literally five times as many KIA and ten times as many aircraft losses as the other?

Something is fishy as hell here yet the NYT confirmed that this leak is basically real so wtf is going on here

This part here that everyone is glossing over would explain the weird comparisons and undercount vs what the Russians have even admitted losing:

Frosted Flake posted:

"Military analysts said the documents appear to have been modified in certain parts from their original format, overstating American estimates of Ukrainian war dead and understating estimates of Russian troops killed."

"The modifications could point to an effort of disinformation by Moscow, the analysts said. But the disclosures in the original documents, which appear as photographs of charts of anticipated weapons deliveries, troop and battalion strengths, and plans,represents a significant breach of American intelligence in the effort to aid Ukraine."

"The Pentagon has not said publicly how fast Ukrainian troops are using the HIMARs munitions; the documents do."

So basically it gets leaked or stolen by Russian intelligence, they get the valuable info from it, modify parts of it, then release it onto TG as a "leak" for public and media to focus on the easily digestible parts (casualty counts) as a way to upset the narrative. Basically a pretty smart dual-purpose opsec breach and psyop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

1stGear posted:

An offensive towards Crimea seemed like a long shot before but if that document is even remotely accurate, trying to cross the Dneiper would be insane.

its insane so it'll work. or something

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

it may not even have been intentional. could well be some security clearanced guy realizing he’s going to need to have quick access to the information in the coming days but doesn’t want to carry the wad of papers around with him (the folding makes it look like someone had it in his pocket). then he realizes “hey, I could just take pictures of it and have it on my phone. genius!”

good point

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Comrade Koba posted:

it may not even have been intentional. could well be some security clearanced guy realizing he’s going to need to have quick access to the information in the coming days but doesn’t want to carry the wad of papers around with him (the folding makes it look like someone had it in his pocket). then he realizes “hey, I could just take pictures of it and have it on my phone. genius!”

The amount of times I've had to yell at soldiers for doing this exact thing is astronomical. it happens all the time. Or taking pictures of clearly marked SECRET or TS briefing notes on a screen "because i cant remember all that"

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Vernii posted:

So basically it gets leaked or stolen by Russian intelligence, they get the valuable info from it, modify parts of it, then release it onto TG as a "leak" for public and media to focus on the easily digestible parts (casualty counts) as a way to upset the narrative. Basically a pretty smart dual-purpose opsec breach and psyop.

"my flawless micro has given us a ten to one kdr and also girls said i look good"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ianmacdo posted:

Its the tone deafness that gets me. Like when they report about China killing one of their billionaires. Like that's a bad thing that anyone should feel bad about? Its just crazy and tone deaf.

NYT very confused by why every reply is "we should also guillotine em in the west" whenever they do it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

e:

Nuclear War posted:

The amount of times I've had to yell at soldiers for doing this exact thing is astronomical. it happens all the time. Or taking pictures of clearly marked SECRET or TS briefing notes on a screen "because i cant remember all that"

We had to send a girl home for this.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

canada's deadliest warrior looks like a math teacher

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the moral plane of combat power ?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm going to screenshot it so I don't get a sixer for you thinking this is coming out of my mouth:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vernii posted:

This part here that everyone is glossing over would explain the weird comparisons and undercount vs what the Russians have even admitted losing:

Ok, let's see how the offensive goes then.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xi annoyed by hearing from a smoother brain than CCP's own shitlibs which he deals on a daily basis

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

the fearsome and unstoppable warrior spirit in this guy that looks like he belongs in a call center being told that he can't take vacation days

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, let's see how the offensive goes then.

Hopefully it goes well but we'll see.

But yea I really doubt the Pentagon thinks the Russians have lost less aircraft than the Kremlin has admitted to.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
on the other hand, if you’re gonna edit figures to downplay things you think you’d at least get it in the ballpark of what was publicly admitted to

possibly just someone getting stupid and overzealous though

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vernii posted:

But yea I really doubt the Pentagon thinks the Russians have lost less aircraft than the Kremlin has admitted to.

Personally, if I was making own casualty estimates I would not take into account literal kremlin propaganda but ymmv.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

izagoof posted:

possibly just someone getting stupid and overzealous though

whats the russian equivalent to a shibu inu??

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
a bear, a puma, or a sable

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vernii posted:

So in this theory, why would Russia use a different lost number than what they themselves are using

Is the person who modified the document The Riddler, they just cant handle having a perfect crime & need to leave behind OSINT crumbs

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

izagoof posted:

a bear, a puma, or a sable

somewhere on telegram someone with a sable av sent another sable av user a ЛС: "put 8 helicopters comrade гггг"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I dunno much about war but I assume that aircraft can take enough fire to be considered a casualty and still return to base. This could appear to not have disabled the aircraft when in fact it is too damaged to return to service.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/VonClownsewitz/status/1644090262916935681?cxt=HHwWgsC9vcTY_dAtAAAA
the replies are something else in the linked tweet lol.

https://twitter.com/VonClownsewitz/status/1644137939016855552?cxt=HHwWgMC9jdOvk9EtAAAA

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

So in this theory, why would Russia use a different lost number than what they themselves are using

Is the person who modified the document The Riddler, they just cant handle having a perfect crime & need to leave behind OSINT crumbs

It muddies the waters further and introduces more uncertainty about trusting any published figures. This isn't targeted at the OSINT crowd, its for everyone else; it's an easily digestible crumb that even the dumbest journalist can understand and focus on while providing a bunch of talking points for online discourse that undermine the NATO narrative on the war. Everything else on that paper is the real value but no one is talking about it because its dense information that requires context and expertise to understand.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh come on.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh come on.

Do you actually think the Russians have lost only eight helicopters in a year+ of war?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
someone run the photos through one of those websites that detects whether an image has been photoshopped or not based on compression artifacts and whatever

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vernii posted:

- Everything else on that paper is the real value

- undermines the NATO narrative on the war.

- its dense information that requires context and expertise to understand.

- This isn't targeted at the OSINT crowd,

:thunk:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Boat Stuck posted:

someone run the photos through one of those websites that detects whether an image has been photoshopped or not based on compression artifacts and whatever

Eh its possible its a reprint, I doubt that would pick up a photoshop. Get the file, edit it, print it out, take a photo, then leak it. Adds perceived authenticity for it to be a photo of a physical object.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vernii posted:

Do you actually think the Russians have lost only eight helicopters in a year+ of war?

What if they just aren't using many helicopters because there are so many javelins all over the place.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

None of that is contradictory.

Frosted Flake posted:

"Military analysts said the documents appear to have been modified in certain parts from their original format, overstating American estimates of Ukrainian war dead and understating estimates of Russian troops killed."

"The modifications could point to an effort of disinformation by Moscow, the analysts said. But the disclosures in the original documents, which appear as photographs of charts of anticipated weapons deliveries, troop and battalion strengths, and plans, represents a significant breach of American intelligence in the effort to aid Ukraine."

"The Pentagon has not said publicly how fast Ukrainian troops are using the HIMARs munitions; the documents do."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vernii posted:

Adds perceived authenticity

I think the White House NYT one-two punch did that

e: troop and battalion strengths are legit, and we can see Ukraine's million man army isn't, and they're totally dependant on western equipment - raising the question what happened to everything else?

There's your casualties.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Apr 7, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1644148253426868224

luckily bellingcat is here to tell us it was a channer. how could anon do this, again?!?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I was fully ready to write it off as kremlin nonsense until the nytimes came right out and said it was real before it even hit the nightly news cycle.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah I was fully ready to write it off as kremlin nonsense until the nytimes came right out and said it was real before it even hit the nightly news cycle.

That's the most important part of this imo because the OSINT guys (and other subforums, reddit etc) would absolutely drown out everything else, the fact checkers would weigh in, the White House could say the leaks are totally fake etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is the Canadian military bi lingual or do they tell the French to get hosed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

is the Canadian military bi lingual or do they tell the French to get hosed

Bilingual, required for promotion, all of my work needs to be if not done then available in both languages.

e: This is the direct result of the 90% English Army being deployed on the streets of French cities in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS2LBx3nZ4

Like this, but with worse accents.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the White House NYT one-two punch did that

e: troop and battalion strengths are legit, and we can see Ukraine's million man army isn't, and they're totally dependant on western equipment - raising the question what happened to everything else?

There's your casualties.

Do you also think the Russians have lost only 7 aircraft and 8 helicopters?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol at trusting the NYT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vernii posted:

Do you also think the Russians have lost only 7 aircraft and 8 helicopters?

considering who they are fighting … yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

western capitalist nations: how dare those stupid africans reject untrustworthy cheapskates like us, totally not being racist here