Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
DO NOT READ ANYTHING ABOUT OUTER WILDS AND JUST PLAY IT. DON'T LOOK ANYTHING UP.

If you need a nudge, ask in the OW thread. This game is INCREDIBLE blind and you will only be robbing yourself by looking into ANYTHING about the game before playing it all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I always try not to hype up games too much since inevitably people will be disappointed after hearing too much praise for them.

Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium are two of the hardest games to refrain from gushing over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer Milds imho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah people are always talking about it like some kind of religious experience and also saying not to look anything up about it so I'm just gonna not touch it until baby #2 has a bedtime

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just make sure you don’t accidentally play Outer Worlds because that is not the Outer Wilds and is also poo poo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just make sure you don’t accidentally play Outer Worlds because that is not the Outer Wilds and is also poo poo

This actually does explain some confusion on my parts. I've never heard of the latter so I guess I should get it

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rolo posted:

This actually does explain some confusion on my parts. I've never heard of the latter so I guess I should get it
Definitely not confusing that two games with similar names came out roughly the same time and both involved being in space.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I looked up Outer Wilds on wikipedia. Looks pretty good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i liked it alright

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the discussion and genre clues. I had no idea these were “metroidbranias”. Partner and I were calling them archaeology puzzle games but yeah. Bought heaven’s vault for when we’re done with Pentiment!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For the most part, I don't think the game is intended to be scary. It's not a horror game. That said, the first time I flew into Dark Bramble and was eaten by anglerfish I decided to stay away from Dark Bramble for a long time, and yes I think that reaction was intentional.

Generally though, when the focus of the game is discovering why an ancient race went lost, who were also attempting to blow up the sun there's just this inherently uneasy feeling as you keep playing. The first time I saw inside Ash Twin from a projection pool and saw a third mask I almost flipped out thinking there was a third person--perhaps a Nomai--alive and aware of the time loop but nah it's just the computer.

Are you sure? Pretty sure that third mask is the nomai you find when the quantum moon is at the eye of the universe. Soleum.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

metroidbranias

post a list of these please!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tuyop posted:

Are you sure? Pretty sure that third mask is the nomai you find when the quantum moon is at the eye of the universe. Soleum.
I think so, I'm fuzzy on the details but I think there's a statue in the probe tracking module and there's a message inside Ash Twin implying that it's receiving data from the probe tracker. I don't recall that Soleum herself is aware of the timeloop and she's in a quantum state of deadness anyways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not a list, but Deck-verified The Forgotten City is on sale for half off at Fanatical.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not a list, but Deck-verified The Forgotten City is on sale for half off at Fanatical.

That was my favourite game the year it came out. Incredible

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Seconding the blind run of Outer Wilds. I heard all the hype and avoided spoilers, but also thought, "There's no way this game's that good, the spaceship flies like poo poo"

I beat the game 14 months ago over the course of 3 weeks - I think about it weekly and it's really nice to think about. This is just more praise among the choir, and not everyone's going to have a great time with it, but definitely make some time for it (if you can).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sloth Socks posted:

Seconding the blind run of Outer Wilds. I heard all the hype and avoided spoilers, but also thought, "There's no way this game's that good, the spaceship flies like poo poo"

I beat the game 14 months ago over the course of 3 weeks - I think about it weekly and it's really nice to think about. This is just more praise among the choir, and not everyone's going to have a great time with it, but definitely make some time for it (if you can).

I love going back and listening to the soundtrack. It brings me such joy. That game was an experience I can now only relive through others.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think so, I'm fuzzy on the details but I think there's a statue in the probe tracking module and there's a message inside Ash Twin implying that it's receiving data from the probe tracker. I don't recall that Soleum herself is aware of the timeloop and she's in a quantum state of deadness anyways.

Oops, I meant Solanum!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

So there are also some similar puzzle games that are not quite this. Seems like the genre is defined by the only barrier to beating the game being information gathered throughout the game. So strict puzzle games aren't exactly the same. However, it seems to me that The Witness and The Talos Principle are two very close games.

Otherwise, in my googling:

Fez
Her Story
The Forgotten City
Heaven's Vault (on sale now at GoG!)
Telling Lies
Overboard!
The Sinking City
Return of the Obra Dinn

Mostly discussed in this article: https://www.nintendolife.com/features/what-the-heck-is-a-metroidbrainia-introducing-the-newest-genre-on-the-block?page=2#telling-lies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

So there are also some similar puzzle games that are not quite this. Seems like the genre is defined by the only barrier to beating the game being information gathered throughout the game. So strict puzzle games aren't exactly the same. However, it seems to me that The Witness and The Talos Principle are two very close games.

Otherwise, in my googling:

Fez
Her Story
The Forgotten City
Heaven's Vault (on sale now at GoG!)
Telling Lies
Overboard!
The Sinking City
Return of the Obra Dinn

Mostly discussed in this article: https://www.nintendolife.com/features/what-the-heck-is-a-metroidbrainia-introducing-the-newest-genre-on-the-block?page=2#telling-lies

Nice one, I've played a lot of these and loved them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Obra dinn looks extremely stylish and I can’t wait to play it in like 2027 at this rate.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Obra Dinn's the biggest one on the list that hits like Outer Wilds, IMO.

TraderStav posted:

I love going back and listening to the soundtrack. It brings me such joy. That game was an experience I can now only relive through others.

I play an instrument and find myself noodling the theme song when I'm just idly picking. It pops into my head all the time. The music in that game is so important to the feeling of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That's the dumbest, least informative genre name I've ever seen, drat. Just call them puzzle games.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting back into Subnautica Below Zero a lot recently. I really should do that once I'm done with my current games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I'm convinced, how is Outer Wilds on the Deck?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^^^ Someone on Reddit says they get 40 FPS with these settings:
https://i.imgur.io/wpuo0NS_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Question Mark Mound posted:

I always try not to hype up games too much since inevitably people will be disappointed after hearing too much praise for them.

Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium are two of the hardest games to refrain from gushing over.

I feel this. Personally, the more people try to get me to play or watch something the more I push back, to the point of disliking it before giving it an honest try. I don't care how much you love The Wire dude, you have pushed too hard.

You can play either in short bursts. But good call for the guys who want to wait until their kids have a bed time or they can go through it together with their wife should play it. Do it on your own terms.

Just don't mistake it for Outer Worlds, the other space game that came out at the same time.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 6, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Talos Principle ftw

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Talos Principle ftw

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also seconding Obra Dinn for just being a great deduction game.

Not quite the same thing but the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa series are great lawyering games too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jokes posted:

Anyone who plays Stranger of Paradise (steam) on the Deck let us know if it works well or if it's easy to get started!
This account seems to have got it running.

https://twitter.com/steamdeckhq/status/1644068818610962432?s=61&t=601BGY_qDnCut7rj1sf7Hw

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Fez was a good game but good god, some of the puzzles were absolutely loving insane. One of them involved changing your PCs time and date settings and another was something like binary code for Google map coordinates to the answer or something mental like that iirc.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

That's the dumbest, least informative genre name I've ever seen, drat. Just call them puzzle games.
I like the name because it implies that you have to do a fair bit of "backtracking" to apply information you've recently learned to explore new things and learn more new information.

Rolo posted:

Ok I'm convinced, how is Outer Wilds on the Deck?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For graphics settings I turned Shadow Quality to Low, and SSAO/Water/Lighting Effects to Medium leaving the rest at defaults, then ran it at 40 Hz. It worked pretty well with that setup,
It's great!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loquacius posted:

Yeah people are always talking about it like some kind of religious experience and also saying not to look anything up about it so I'm just gonna not touch it until baby #2 has a bedtime
Unless you're so sleep deprived you can't remember left from right, it's actually not a bad game to play while baby naps in your arms or something. It naturally lends itself to 20 minute (or less) play sessions and you can usually always accomplish something even if you have short window to play. There's also a computer in the game that tracks/logs any important discoveries so you don't actually need a pen and paper to remember stuff. It's also one of those games that you spend just as much time thinking about while not playing it as you do while playing it.

The whole reason you have a Deck right is so you can play stuff at your convenience and not be tied to a computer or whatever too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

^^^^^ Someone on Reddit says they get 40 FPS with these settings:
https://i.imgur.io/wpuo0NS_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I feel this. Personally, the more people try to get me to play or watch something the more I push back, to the point of disliking it before giving it an honest try. I don't care how much you love The Wire dude, you have pushed too hard.

You can play either in short bursts. But good call for the guys who want to wait until their kids have a bed time or they can go through it together with their wife should play it. Do it on your own terms.

Just don't mistake it for Outer Worlds, the other space game that came out at the same time.

I think it sort of depends how people are praising it. There are certain sorts of praise that I tend to associate with "something that just became a meme of sorts online" or "an opinion that has been bouncing around Twitter/social media." It's also worth noting where the praise is coming from and if there's also criticism (and what the criticism is like).

I'm going to try playing Outer Wilds soon since I haven't really gotten the typical impressions I do from "stuff that people are overrating for one reason or another." I finally played Hades after seeing people complimenting it constantly (and realized those compliments were justified), and the opinions about Outer Wilds seem similarly reliable to that, so I have good expectations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got the EGS version working, so I'm sure the Steam version is better. I'll do some tinkering myself tonight I guess!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been messing around with game streaming.

Steam's own Remote Play did not work well for me. No matter what settings I used (I tried the "Beautiful" and also tried turning off "Hardware Decoding" since I saw that recommended) everything always looked kind of blurry, like if I was wearing glasses with a slightly wrong prescription. Probably less of an issue in a game like Octopath, but I was testing it with Persona 5 Royal and the blurriness started to give me a headache (and before that, while Steam Remote Play was still set to "Fast," it would stutter a lot and I'd get bouts of heavy artifacting - the gameplay itself was mostly smooth once I turned it to Beautiful, but I just couldn't tolerate the weird blurriness - it felt like watching a Youtube video of a game, where there's some compression involved).

But then I tried this Moonlight software (that apparently uses the GeForce Experience software, so you need a PC with an Nvidia GPU), and it works astoundingly well. I can run Yakuza Kiwami 2 with max settings at perfect 60fps and zero noticeable lag from latency (which makes sense given how fast my post-fiber internet is). With another game (Persona 5 Royal), however, I had some issues with aspect ratio, where I couldn't figure out how to get it to fit the Steam Deck's screen without actually changing the resolution of my PC's monitor (regardless of the resolution I chose for the game itself). At first I thought this was an issue inherent to having an ultradwide monitor, since if I changed my resolution to 1080p in Nvidia Control Panel (on my PC) it fixed the issue, but Yakuza Kiwami 2 doesn't have this problem (I can keep my monitor set to its normal 1440p ultrawide and it still launches well and fits to the screen).

I'm pretty psyched about the Yakuza Kiwami 2 results alone. It is extremely cool to have a game like that running in 60fps with high settings on a handheld. I'm going to try doing this same thing with some other relatively taxing games. Thinking of trying it with FF15 next, since my PC can definitely run that in 1080p* at 60fps with mostly-max settings and that'd be another surreal game to play on a handheld with high performance. I've been very impressed by this. I'll be curious to see how well it streams from my friend's place, since he has slower internet (probably similar to my pre-fiber internet, which was around 20mbps) and his internet will probably be more comparable with the sort of internet I'd get at other places with wifi.

* streaming in 1080p worked better for me than streaming in 800 or 720p for some reason

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is there a reason why a certain game isn't loading its save from the Steam Cloud when running on the Deck? I was halfway through a VN and haven't touched it in a few months because long hours reading while seating at the desk isn't a good time anymore, but when I loaded in on the Deck, its save isn't there so I would have to start all over apparently?

1) is this common?
2) is it easy to manually transfer the save file from the computer?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Decided to try out Outer Wilds but something is hosed up with the launch on the Deck. Like, the Steam icon is still up, but I can hear the game music, and if I hit the steam button I can see the menu for a split second. Quitting and restarting just puts me back in this state. Is this a known issue?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If I press the ... button I can see both the game menu and the notifications menu but that doesn't help because I can't interact with the game menu

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh it let me name my profile but that's all

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I often had to alt tab into it on PC but I blamed epic for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saoshyant posted:

Is there a reason why a certain game isn't loading its save from the Steam Cloud when running on the Deck? I was halfway through a VN and haven't touched it in a few months because long hours reading while seating at the desk isn't a good time anymore, but when I loaded in on the Deck, its save isn't there so I would have to start all over apparently?

1) is this common?
2) is it easy to manually transfer the save file from the computer?
Check to see if the game in question has a native Linux port, because often the saves aren't cross-compatible. You can enable "Force specific Proton version" in the "Compatibility" tab of the game settings menu to have the Deck use the Windows version, which should have it download your save.