Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There’s a good chance the average sicko who plays on MTGO and enjoys getting value from winning leagues/cashing in sets enjoys and cares about the game more than you.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It is admittedly pretty nice that when you eventually get tired of mtgo being a pita sometimes you can actually get a good chunk of your money back. But it's honestly not a big deal either way, the rental services and access to good formats is the real nice part imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

reignonyourparade posted:

It's dumb to require being able to cash out of Having Fun

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just a reminder that this whole discussion started because someone asked how to play MTGO and the first reply was someone telling him to play Arena instead lol. I’ll never understand what it is about MTGO that drives so many people crazy. It’s cool I can play mini tournaments for any format I want, basically whenever I want, against good players, and have a chance at making money back.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 7, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Last cube season I lost a wonderful, pulse pounding match purely because I was so rusty at the inputs that I timed out. Clearly mrgo should be burned to the ground.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Arena will always be inferior due to no true f6

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

MTGGoldfish made a YT video:

https://youtu.be/bwiAnsuPTMk

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is true f6?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

What is true f6?

Not much, what's true f6 with you?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Khanstant posted:

What is true f6?

You could press f6 and no matter what, it would coast by every step, trigger or round of priority until the next upkeep. Arena cannot do this for whatever reason and it really bums me out.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
With the free credit from the rental services you can play all the penny dreadful leagues and tournaments you want

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

With the free credit from the rental services you can play all the penny dreadful leagues and tournaments you want

Oh dang the rental services give you credit to enter events now?

Ok that might be enough to get me back in tbh, I sold out years ago because the rental services were expensive and you still had to buy entry to events/place well enough to roll them over

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

You could press f6 and no matter what, it would coast by every step, trigger or round of priority until the next upkeep. Arena cannot do this for whatever reason and it really bums me out.

Oh man that would be nice, I kept meaning to look up how to do this because I figured I had something set wrong since the pass turn button constantly stops and makes you do everything, is pressing that toggle any different than clicking to next phase?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ok that might be enough to get me back in tbh, I sold out years ago because the rental services were expensive and you still had to buy entry to events/place well enough to roll them over
Penny dreadful isn't sanctioned, they're saying how most rental services have a "free" option for their most unplayable bulk. I think a cardhoarder has free bots that give you up to 26 cards or so

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Nah, penny dreadful leagues and tourneys are all played through the free tournament practice room and tracked on a separate website.

HootTheOwl posted:

Penny dreadful isn't sanctioned, they're saying how most rental services have a "free" option for their most unplayable bulk. I think a cardhoarder has free bots that give you up to 26 cards or so

I think it's 5 bucks free rental credit, which is enough to make a 75 for penny dreadful. At least that's what it was when I was messing around with the format

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And the format rules for Penny Dreadful are literally "if it was unplayable bulk that you could buy for a penny on <specific date> then it's legal".

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
MTGO is the only place you can play the One True Format: Unrestricted Momir Basic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

meanolmrcloud posted:

I thought there was a way to do it on PC just not on phone

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

precision posted:

I thought there was a way to do it on PC just not on phone

It always stop at the end step, and it’ll also always ask you to respond to triggers, even with the space+enter shortcut. If I’m wrong about this I’d love to know

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There used to be a combo deck on arena that was based around making so many triggers that your opponent couldn't click through all of them fast enough and it would skip their turn because of animations and such.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well working at a games shop has finally taken its toll. I'm building a Commander deck.

Commander is Grist and it's based around insects. Only problem is the store I work at is missing a lot of the bug cards I'd like to have. None of them are particularly expensive, just a pain I'll have to go out of my way to get them. I'm also going to have to buy some Jumpstart 2022 packs since there's apparently an insect pack in it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

A Moose posted:

There used to be a combo deck on arena that was based around making so many triggers that your opponent couldn't click through all of them fast enough and it would skip their turn because of animations and such.

I made a Standard legal combo deck that produced infinite mana using Teferi, He Who Slows The Whatever x2, Timeless Lotus, and Light Up The Night. Was fun to play but I'd lose frequently even when my combo was firing off because I was playing on my phone and I couldn't get through enough cycles before my timer expired.

My historic version killed with Sheoldred, the Apocalypse and Peer Into The Abyss. That was pretty fun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well working at a games shop has finally taken its toll. I'm building a Commander deck.

Commander is Grist and it's based around insects. Only problem is the store I work at is missing a lot of the bug cards I'd like to have. None of them are particularly expensive, just a pain I'll have to go out of my way to get them. I'm also going to have to buy some Jumpstart 2022 packs since there's apparently an insect pack in it.

We have a Commander thread full of cool posters, so feel free to drop by: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988784&pagenumber=1

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The best part of the rental programs is that you can do insanely risky short selling and end up in debt from MTGO while normal people laugh at you.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

The best part of the rental programs is that you can do insanely risky short selling and end up in debt from MTGO while normal people laugh at you.

Lol Jesus Christ what on Earth is wrong with people?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

yeah maybe mtgo is bad or whatever but arena doesn't have modern or pioneer and i'm not really interested in explorer or historic. maybe later on i'll pick it up for standard/draft

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Tbh while everyone jokes about it, it's a lot easier to use than it used to be. https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide is a pretty good guide from what I've seen

The real thing to consider is which rental service you're going to use. For most top decks you'll probably want to own some of the cards that are shared and (usually) pretty reasonable on mtgo, then rent the others

Edit: also keep in mind that there are sorta casual games you can play of a format in mtgo, but everything else is paid. There's no ranked ladders you can grind, it's all paid entry events with prizes

i glanced over this and it looks like what i wanted to know. thanks!

i'm willing to dump some money in if i can get a feel of how it plays so it seems like this is fine

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
MTGO still has a lot of purpose between the Eternal formats and all the older Draft/Cube formats it often runs. Maybe someday Wizards will get off their rear end and really start getting older cards available on Arena, but as long as they can gouge folks while slowrolling all these old format cards in and pretend like they're curating new formats with it, they gonna keep doing that instead and MTGO will remain the program of choice for people who's interest isn't Standard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Grist is a great reanimator commander. Any top deck tutor (there’s a bunch) is an entomb, and Grist can also kill your own Protean Hulk for the win.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OneDeadman posted:

MTGO is the only place you can play the One True Format: Unrestricted Momir Basic

every couple months i log on just to play momir

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Don't buy packs for specific cards, especially cheap ones! There's over 100 kinds of Jumpstart packs you can pull, and only 4 of them are (varieties of) the Insect theme. The only expensive insect from J22 is Zask, and he costs less than a pack to buy on his own!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

And the format rules for Penny Dreadful are literally "if it was unplayable bulk that you could buy for a penny on <specific date> then it's legal".

It rules. Tokens is a semi viable archetype. Weirdly enough stiflenaught was top tier when I was playing. I got to submit a bug report for a westvale abbey/tidal warrior interaction :v:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

The old Hearthstone strategy, lol.

MTGO is fun and most of the stuff that puts people off at first can be customized, like you can turn off the sound.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I've never played MTGO but watch Mengu's veedeos a lot. I read people complaining about the UI and while it does seem inelegant it also seems fine? Certainly looks intuitive enough to me.

I like that it doesn't hand-hold on some things like Arena does, like when you look at an opponent's hand the cards don't stay permanently revealed, you have to actually remember what they have after the spell or ability resolves. There's also no giveaways that you have a free spell to cast (e.g. Pact of Negation, Force of Will) like in Arena.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Doesn’t MTGO have a revealed zone pop up?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I've never played MTGO but watch Mengu's veedeos a lot. I read people complaining about the UI and while it does seem inelegant it also seems fine? Certainly looks intuitive enough to me.

I like that it doesn't hand-hold on some things like Arena does, like when you look at an opponent's hand the cards don't stay permanently revealed, you have to actually remember what they have after the spell or ability resolves. There's also no giveaways that you have a free spell to cast (e.g. Pact of Negation, Force of Will) like in Arena.

They absolutely do stay revealed fwiw, there's a revealed objects pane, it doesn't track it when they cast/play it though if that's what you mean, you have to do that part yourself

Depending on your stops you can end up giving away information as well, but it's definitely different! Any new player will definitely F6 at least a couple games away during the learning process

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

My bad on the revealed zone thing, I guess I’ve just never noticed it somehow on Mengu’s videos. He’s slowly added a bunch of overlays, maybe it’s obscured?

Anyway my point still stands that the UI may look like something straight out of 2002 but it also seems to work.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

https://www.tcgplayer.com/ https://www.cardkingdom.com/ These are kind of like the store you may work at with the key difference that they also include all the stores you may work at in the future.
You can find the cards you need here.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Chakan posted:

MTGO is fun and most of the stuff that puts people off at first can be customized, like you can turn off the sound.

Not sure if the sound/voices are the same as in Arena, but turning off the sound would make my Minsc & Boo brawl deck objectively worse.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

generatrix posted:

Not sure if the sound/voices are the same as in Arena, but turning off the sound would make my Minsc & Boo brawl deck objectively worse.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.

No, the sounds are probably not the same. When you play a creature a sfx created in 2000 that sounds vaguely like a toad ribbit occurs along with some generic forest/swamp background music. This would be great, except it sucks and it happens all the time. Everyone who gets MTGO turns the sound off ASAP and the first thing people do when they fresh install is boot up a game and say "oh poo poo, I have sound on, let me take care of that." There are probably new sounds by this point, but who would ever find out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd want more sound design on cards. Think that might be the one edge Hearthstone has over Arena. Then again they go a bit too far in that direction and stall you playing cards so it can do it's little animation and noise routine. They've actually rebalanced cards around the fact their ETB animation creates so much dead air where you can't play cards, or in extreme cases make it impossible for opponent to act on their turn, yet the cards aren't balanced with that skip turn effect in mind AFAIK.

Edit: I can only say I want more sound design because I have never heard MTGOs actual sound designs, just the tiny ones here and there in Arena