Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Class3KillStorm posted:

In a way, wasn't that how Biden ended up winning last time, though? Sanders was way ahead on delegate count and everything in the early states, until Super Tuesday, when the more conservative Dems rallied around Biden and the number of delegates flooding his way ended up totally upending that race.

It's a theoretical way for DeSantis to win, but I still haven't heard any real rational reason why he's supposed to be a "better" choice than Trump would be, or why later states would rally around him if Trump already has the momentum of an early lead.

The problem is still the same as it was when Rudy first used the plan: GOP primaries are almost entirely winner take all. So any strategy that might work in the Democratic primaries, where almost everything is proportionally awarded, is doomed to utter failure when tried by the Republicans.

It's a lot like how Hillary's team of big brains managed to absolutely poo poo the bed in 2008 when they repeatedly failed to realize how caucuses work. The Giuliani Gambit could theoretically work, but even aside from all the various machinations needed it's utterly defeated if there is an actual front runner and not an overstuffed clown car of also fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Young Freud posted:

DeKalb county has issued a stop work order on Cop City. Apparently, inspectors found that the silt fence and other erosion control measures have failed, violating the land development permit.
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644137859589328896?s=20
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644138544632299521?s=20

if dekalb inspectors are anything like the ones i've worked with, if a stop work order was given for bmps then either they're looking for an excuse to issue a stop work order or the site is a disaster zone. every bmp is installed half assed and never maintained afterward, and no one gives a poo poo unless it becomes a major problem

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s been making the news recently but I hadn’t seen it in this thread.

There is a stunningly fast expansion of battery and chip manufacturing occurring in the US. If you read about it, and doubt that it’s actually happening, yes it very much is (I’m watching it) and it’s IRA related.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Here is another reason why his strategy is stupid:

Let's say for WHATEVER reason Trump isn't all the ballot. If you cede early states to someone else, THEY get the momentum and media coverage, THEY get the money, and THEY get to claim credibility. His strategist is playing for a tie and hoping the delegates back DeSantis. It's literally saying we don't have any appeal anywhere but we'll win on a technicality of the rules and hope you get behind it.

edit: Like honestly, he should focus on ONE of New Hampshire or Iowa at least.

Eh...if Trump is on the ballot, DeSantis is going to romp to victory from the start.

This "strategy" would only be enacted if Trump is on the ballot.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cimber posted:

Wow, that's even worse.

Plus you get Michael Steele, former head of the GOP calling them out on this.

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1644129980329197570

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
What could even be done to remedy the obvious racism of the Tennessee legislature? I doubt there’s a legal solution.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a compromise that still gives space to the worst bigots and allows trans people to be frozen out in sports at a professional level by excluding them from college and highschool play. The American way, we won't kill you, just push you into a socio-economic class and prevent you from avenues to success until that kills you. No one's fault but your own then.

I’ve seen people try and put the blame for this on Jeff Zients, but hey, who hired that motherfucker?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

What could even be done to remedy the obvious racism of the Tennessee legislature? I doubt there’s a legal solution.

I read if they are re-elected they can't be expelled again. Is that right?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think former President Obamna has a remedy to suggest...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Interesting question. What happens if they get reelected and the house refuses to seat them?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if dekalb inspectors are anything like the ones i've worked with, if a stop work order was given for bmps then either they're looking for an excuse to issue a stop work order or the site is a disaster zone. every bmp is installed half assed and never maintained afterward, and no one gives a poo poo unless it becomes a major problem

the entire cop city thing is wildly politically radioactive and the dekalb county inspectors absolutely don't want to be caught doing lax enforcement with so much attention being paid to the location, a large portion of which is activists willing and able to document and file litigation around environmental law violations. 100% letter of the law on this one

a stop work order over sediment and runoff containment violations is pretty common, the fact that it warranted a breaking news tweet and press release should indicate how entirely energized the opponents of this project are

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm not from Georgia. What is Cop City?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Urban warfare policing training center being built in a forest

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
An enormous cop training center that's supposed to be built in a forest in Atlanta. There are a number of protestors camping out in the forest to try and prevent it, and one of the protestors was killed by cops recently.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/atlantas-cop-city-people-protesting/story?id=96716095

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm not from Georgia. What is Cop City?

A big police training facility that they're planning to bulldoze a large section of public forest to build. Protestors have been occupying the forest for months to stop them. A few months ago, a protestor who goes by Tortuguita was shot and killed. Many more protestors were arrested on charges of domestic terrorism and denied bail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the really short answer is that the city of atlanta is trying to build a new public safety training center on a piece of city owned land just outside of city limits. its a pretty big facility, classrooms but also a driving track, fake buildings for weapons training, a burn building that firefighters can use to practice putting out fires, etc. they want to build it on a piece of land that used to be used as a prison farm and is now just a dumping ground and ad hoc shooting range for the APD. there's a lot of complicated land stuff going on in the immediate area that has had different groups of activists already activising, and the area is a mix of older low income black neighborhoods, correctional uses, garbage and waste treatment infrastructure, boggy watersheds that are thickly forested, and light industrial uses including a very large movie studio

this existing bed of community activism reacted quite negatively to the announcement of the training center, they dubbed it cop city and have been doing a great job of doing online organization and getting their profile out there. for like 18 months there have been people treesitting and living in the woods to block construction. in january as the police were forcibly clearing the site, they shot a protester to death and everything escalated. about a month ago a group of protestors 200 strong stormed the construction site, scattered the cops and burnt vehicles. the cops are super jumpy now and arresting people on ridiculous charges like domestic terrorism. in the last week or so the cops have really asserted control over the site and clearcutting of some trees began

Fister Roboto posted:

A big police training facility that they're planning to bulldoze a large section of public forest to build.

cop city is on the old atlanta prison farm property, which has always been closed to the public. the farm is adjacent to a waterway called intrenchment creek. on the other side of the creek are a number of parcels of land, mostly public - some undeveloped forest, some built as a public park, and some containing a paved long distance trail that goes through the area. while it looks like one contiguous bit of forest, the east side of the creek is mostly public, the west side is mostly not. the cops have never needed a pretense to detain anyone found at the prison farm, any visitors have always had to sneak in - its just that the cops were rarely around or gave a poo poo. bad news for you if you bumped into cops there though

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 7, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So about that stop work order

https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644156039636434944?s=20
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644166235288924161?s=20
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1644167936247226368?s=20

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cimber posted:

Interesting question. What happens if they get reelected and the house refuses to seat them?

god america is sooooo loving stupid.

loving soooo many layers of horseshit norms and pseudo norms and weird law magics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the house refuses to seat them when the law says they should get seated, they go to court. If they win (very likely) and still don’t get seated, then the fun really starts

Ideally at some point the electorate would get sick of this poo poo, but, well, you’d think that would have happened earlier in this process

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fister Roboto posted:

A big police training facility that they're planning to bulldoze a large section of public forest to build. Protestors have been occupying the forest for months to stop them. A few months ago, a protestor who goes by Tortuguita was shot and killed. Many more protestors were arrested on charges of domestic terrorism and denied bail.

IIRC it was also another case of cops lying about people they murder because they claimed that they returned fire after the protester shot at them but the autopsy determined that the victim was shot through his hands in a way that would only be possible if he was unarmed and had them up in surrender. What likely really happened was that they surrounded the tent the guy was in and fired wildly into it, causing one of them to get shot by a fellow cop.

E. https://www.npr.org/2023/03/11/1162843992/cop-city-atlanta-activist-autopsy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That the bill supposedly makes it hard for institutions to discriminate against trans people is a deeply insulting argument.

CuddleCryptid posted:

IIRC it was also another case of cops lying about people they murder because they claimed that they returned fire after the protester shot at them but the autopsy determined that the victim was shot through his hands in a way that would only be possible if he was unarmed and had them up in surrender. What likely really happened was that they surrounded the tent the guy was in and fired wildly into it, causing one of them to get shot by a fellow cop.

E. https://www.npr.org/2023/03/11/1162843992/cop-city-atlanta-activist-autopsy

And these are the people having their own private Disneyland built for them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The way that's written sounds really dark.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Zamujasa posted:

The way that's written sounds really dark.

Living through the collapse of empire is not a fun experience for those within it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Name Change posted:

I struggle to think of how you could more shame yourself as an institution or bring down a bigger shitstorm of negative attention from all directions.

This makes their supporters happy. America is not a democracy, and in Tennessee most voters are the type of people happy about this anyway, so they only have to care about their supporters. There is no negative attention from that sole direction.

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

XboxPants posted:

If you're looking for more details, most of the info seems to be coming from local Florida outlet Pensacola News Journal: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crim...ns/70088634007/

They claim the son has been put on home detention with a monitor, and have specific quotes about wanting to do a school shooting that are allegedly from him. I get how it would have been scary as gently caress for the mom, but unless this is being wildly misrepresented, it looks like this is the system functioning as we would want it to. Or at least, it's better than ignoring it when kids are making threats to shoot up a school.

For what it's worth the veracity of those quotes is disputed too.

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1644148098845888513

The screenshot comes from the following article in the Miami Herald: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article274038075.html

Given that this is the same person who had their home raided by the cops on a bullshit charge in the wake of the covid falsification whistleblower issue, I'm kinda willing to buy her side here.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rebekah Jones is not a perfect witness and definitely has some personal life issues*. I'm still in the camp of "Trust, but verify" but it's absolutely looking more and more like this was another deliberately targeted attack at her.

I congratulate her on the upcoming financial settlement. "State forcefully child away from parent for petty politics" is not going to go well for the state if they let it get to a jury trial.

edit: Personal life issues that would make a CPS action a believable notion that is**

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 7, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Florida jury?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Florida jury?

Maybe I'm naive but I think you would be hard pressed to find a jury in America that wouldn't give a huge and furious middle finger to government or policing institutions that abduct a child for petty political reasons.

Especially so that the victim is a telegenic white woman.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hearing a lot of anger from people in the community in Tennessee yesterday and today, even people who are not friends of Obama.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Rebekah Jones is not a perfect witness and definitely has some personal life issues*. I'm still in the camp of "Trust, but verify" but it's absolutely looking more and more like this was another deliberately targeted attack at her.

I congratulate her on the upcoming financial settlement. "State forcefully child away from parent for petty politics" is not going to go well for the state if they let it get to a jury trial.

edit: Personal life issues that would make a CPS action a believable notion that is**

Umm... you might want to look at the news article XboxPants posted in the last page or two. Especially when it comes to that "forcefully takes child away" part:

quote:

Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office investigators called the boy’s mother, Rebekah Jones, who said the family was vacationing in Mississippi but would call investigators when she returned. During the interview, Rebekah Jones confirmed there were no guns in the residents and the only weapons were kitchen knives, which she has stored in a locked box.

SRSO spokeswoman Jillian Durkin said Jones turned her son in to the Sheriff's Office.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm hearing a lot of anger from people in the community in Tennessee yesterday and today, even people who are not friends of Obama.

I can't remember if I saw it here or on Twitter, but I think this sentiment summed it up very well:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1644129754172334080

Even someone who ain't woke can see just how egregious this is, you pretty much have to be a card-carrying white supremacist to not see something's pretty hosed up here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's correct, at least on paper:

Tennessee Constitution posted:

Section 12. Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a member, but not a second time for the same offense; and shall have all other powers necessary for a branch of the Legislature of a free state

If returned, the two expelled members couldn't be expelled again for the same thing-- but with caveats like "what if the House trumps up some new charges, since they've already crossed the one Rubicon," or "would the courts even be willing to take the case if the House ignores the constitution and kicks them out anyway?" Who knows!

At any rate, the fun continues:

Tennessee Constitution posted:

Section 15. Vacancies. When the seat of any member of either House becomes vacant, the vacancy shall be filled as follows:
(a) When twelve months or more remain prior to the next general election for legislators, a successor shall be elected by the qualified voters of the district represented, and such successor shall serve the remainder of the original term. The election shall be held within such time as provided by law. The legislative body of the replaced legislator's county of residence at the time of his or her election may elect an interim successor to serve until the election.

Apparently Tennessee runs their state legislature a bit like the US Senate, with legislators sort of representing their home counties, so the local governments of Nashville and Memphis get to appoint successors to serve until either a special or general election, whichever comes first. And I can think of two stellar candidates with lots of experience who just became available to serve! :v:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how many council votes it takes and I haven't done a tally, but quite a few Nashville and Memphis council members have already pledged to reappoint

Kale
May 14, 2010

Cimber posted:

Wow, that's even worse.

Plus you get Michael Steele, former head of the GOP calling them out on this.

That guys been pretty historically prone to calling out all the terrible poo poo the GOP has done in the Trump/Post Trump era and even since he resigned almost as if it's his job. As far as I've ever been able to tell for a former GOP chair guy you could do a hell of a lot worse than Steele. He's no Elise Stefanik that's for sure.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

I can't remember if I saw it here or on Twitter, but I think this sentiment summed it up very well:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1644129754172334080

Even someone who ain't woke can see just how egregious this is, you pretty much have to be a card-carrying white supremacist to not see something's pretty hosed up here.

I joked with someone that it's a rare double fascism. Outlawing the people who disagree with you and having a race based way of executing the expulsion is loving brazen.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
On the bright side, this did shine a spotlight on Justin Pearson, who is pretty loving rad.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1644085874982887428?s=46&t=xjoX4EYhjjJHLNhbe-XLBA

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

On the bright side, this did shine a spotlight on Justin Pearson, who is pretty loving rad.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1644085874982887428?s=46&t=xjoX4EYhjjJHLNhbe-XLBA

Well the GOP just did the Democrats a favor by introducing someone to the nation who will likely be a rising star now.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Seven Deadly Sins posted:

Given that this is the same person who had their home raided by the cops on a bullshit charge in the wake of the covid falsification whistleblower issue, I'm kinda willing to buy her side here.

Given that her initial claim about that incident was “they pointed guns at my CHILDREN!!!” which was then debunked by a full release of bodycam video, that she then released an “enemies list” of scientists who critiqued her methodology so her Twitter followers could harass them, and the literal mountain of other lies and unhinged behavior, I’m coming down on “let’s wait and see”.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Both of them tbh. Jones had some pretty good rhetoric too, with a whole lot of biblical heat. It was very well done by each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
In other news, one Alabama senator is doing his damndest to make sure the military doesn't fill out the officer corps over contraception/abortion access

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/07/politics/senate-hold-military-nominations/index.html

CNN posted:

The Defense Department is urgently working with lawmakers in hopes of resolving a hold on critical military nominations, including for some of the most senior ranking officers, as concerns inside the Pentagon grow about the potential impact on national security, defense officials told CNN.

Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville has single-handedly blocked the nominations to protest new Pentagon policies ensuring service members have access to reproductive health care following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade last year. Tuberville first threatened to put a hold on DOD nominees in December, and followed through in March.

Tuberville’s objection has thrown a wrench in what is usually a routine Senate maneuver in which hundreds of military nominations are confirmed all at once under a process known as unanimous consent. If Tuberville continues to hold out, the Senate would have to vote on hundreds of Pentagon nominations one at a time — a process that a Democratic Senate aide said could take a year to get through.

“This political showmanship could have a serious impact on our military readiness, on our military forces, and on our national security,” a National Security Council spokesman told CNN.