Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

My desk is an absolute mess and my room is just full of stuff. Probably won’t ever do a proctored exam because the proctors will likely need an additional workday inspecting it or just deny me the exam.

Also I don’t want to deal with some jerk interrrupting me during an exam. Too bad the k8s exams are all proctor only.

As long as you just shove everything out of arms reach they’re usually fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah so long as I'm within reasonable driving distance to an exam site, I'll always take exams there and not at home. I've heard enough horror stories with proctors being really nit picky that it doesn't seem worth the convenience of taking at home.

Hell, when the internet went out for my Net+ exam, I was lucky it was at a testing center and they could tell Pearson Vue that it was on them that I wasn't able to finish on time. Otherwise that would have been 300 dollars down the drain.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Test centers are the way to go. I have to take certain ones at home through WGU and dealing with proctors is hit or miss. Sometimes they’re great and it’s straightforward, sometimes I’m sitting around for 15 minutes doing nothing. The test centers have been real easy every time. Any community college should have one

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rudager posted:

Having done a few over the last 2 years I feel like they proctors are pooled to only do stuff for specifics vendors or something, the 4 Cisco ones I’ve done have all been identical, proctor calls have to show the desk with the webcam, then go time.

The MS and Palo Alto ones I did I never even interacted with the protector at all, exam just started and ended, no chats calls or anything

The only time the proctor talked to me was because they saw my phone.

....after the test was over and I was seeing the score report.

I took it in a conference room at work since that was the only place I could guarantee was free of clutter

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Has anyone taken the CySA exam recently? I decided to take the Udemy course and am in the process of taking practice exam.

I was wondering if it was significantly harder than Sec+

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Has anyone taken the CySA exam recently? I decided to take the Udemy course and am in the process of taking practice exam.

I was wondering if it was significantly harder than Sec+

Relevant to my interests as well

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have my RHCSA exam tomorrow that I'm not 100% certain I'm ready for but I'm going to try my best.

How did it go?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

jeeves posted:

I’ve been working in networking for 10+ years, having lucked into jobs not needing certs besides an AS in the field from a community college. Well that ended and my current job is requiring I finish a CCNA in like 3 months. Plus any future job…

What’s the best training program these days, Boson?

I know almost all of the poo poo, I just have to know the stupid proprietary poo poo like EIGRP for the test. I feel like no one even uses this crap in the real world, but since it is Cisco's own baby they want you to know it.

FWIW, there’s almost no EIGRP on the current version of the CCNA. OSPF is their big focus as far as IGPs go.

That said, I work for an EIGRP-only shop so as Kazinsal said there are plenty of them out there. If you’re willing to take certification exam to maintain your career path then you should be willing to learn a new routing protocol as well.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
It's been roughly 100 years since I've had to take any kind of test in a structured, classroom setting and I need some practice. So, I'm currently looking at the AZ-900 'Azure Fundamentals' exam from Microsoft. I've been working with Azure/M365 in some capacity for the last 10 years or so and due to this I would consider my skill level with Azure to be intermediate, read: I know how to do stuff in Azure, but I know that there's a lot more to learn.
Would this be a good choice for me? Anybody here have recent experience with this exam? Any book or study material recommendations? Thanks!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sporkstand posted:

It's been roughly 100 years since I've had to take any kind of test in a structured, classroom setting and I need some practice. So, I'm currently looking at the AZ-900 'Azure Fundamentals' exam from Microsoft. I've been working with Azure/M365 in some capacity for the last 10 years or so and due to this I would consider my skill level with Azure to be intermediate, read: I know how to do stuff in Azure, but I know that there's a lot more to learn.
Would this be a good choice for me? Anybody here have recent experience with this exam? Any book or study material recommendations? Thanks!

Yeah the 900 level is a perfect entry point for someone familiar with azure but not a ton of depth. Do the Microsoft learn courses and go for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

sporkstand posted:

If you've actually been working with the Azure portal and doing actual stuff in Azure you probably want to go for AZ-104. The learning materials have some code on them but when I took the test last year, there wasn't very much coding or really command questions and it was mostly terminology and what thing should you use in this case study and IIRC what stuff in the portal does. I came within 100 points of passing and I've done no work in Azure before or indeed since.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

sporkstand posted:

If you haven't done any type of exam in a while, do the AZ-900 first to get a feel for how Microsoft does their exams. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Azure Training Day https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trainingdays/azure, you can get a free voucher for the AZ-900 if you take the virtual training course for Azure Fundamentals.
2. Do the Microsoft Learn course for Azure Fundamentals
3. John Savill on YouTube does a ton of study videos for Azure.
4. Find practice exams online to get an idea of how they word questions, a lot of times they'll be exam dumps so you'll get the same questions during your actual exam.

AZ-900 is a great starting point, after which you can go for AZ-104.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Weaponized Autism posted:

If you haven't done any type of exam in a while, do the AZ-900 first to get a feel for how Microsoft does their exams. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Azure Training Day https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trainingdays/azure, you can get a free voucher for the AZ-900 if you take the virtual training course for Azure Fundamentals.
2. Do the Microsoft Learn course for Azure Fundamentals
3. John Savill on YouTube does a ton of study videos for Azure.
4. Find practice exams online to get an idea of how they word questions, a lot of times they'll be exam dumps so you'll get the same questions during your actual exam.

AZ-900 is a great starting point, after which you can go for AZ-104.

Thanks for all the information! Good thing I asked, I had no clue about the Azure Training day and course voucher.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Would you recommend going for one of the Azure certs or an Amazon Web Services cert? Ultimately I’d like to get some in both.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Noam Chomsky posted:

Would you recommend going for one of the Azure certs or an Amazon Web Services cert? Ultimately I’d like to get some in both.

Personally I prefer AWS but you’ll be fine either way.
Completely personal choice.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

LochNessMonster posted:

Personally I prefer AWS but you’ll be fine either way.
Completely personal choice.

Cool. Thanks!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

What’s the cert path for AWS?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Noam Chomsky posted:

Depends on your end goal. If you're planning on something like dev-ops then follow that. Operations would be SysOps and then probably a specialty one depending on your interests. Solution Architect is more of a pre-sales role and a bit more hands off of daily operations and more of designing, improving, or replacing technical environments.

If you're absolutely fresh in AWS you could do the Cloud Practitioner one, but most people say to skip that and go for the SA Associate, obviously it's a bit more in depth on subjects but definitely do-able for newer people. I only did the CP one because my college required it for a class.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Noam Chomsky posted:

Cloud Practicioner is the AZ-900 equivalent. With 0 experience you can do the AWS free training course in a week and pass it. I refer to it as “the sales/marketing” cert, as it gives you a high level overview of the most popular services and what they can be used for.

After that you get the Associate tier consisting of Architect, SysOps and Developer. Architect is the most broad one, SysOps a bit smaller but goes slightly deeper into the operational side of services. There is some overlap between SysOps and Architect tracks. Developer is the odd duck and focusses on a lot of different services.

Then you have the Professional tier which has Architect and DevOps. Those are more in depth then the Associate tier exams and pretty hard mostly due to time constraints. You can jump straight into them and skip the Associate tier if you want to. I’d only advise that if you have the experience though.

Besides these tracks you have the specialty exams, Security, Networking, Data Analytics, ML, Databases amd SAP (yes, really, SAP). Unless you are an SME in one of these fields I’d not start with these. Even if you are I’d probably still do the Associate Architect first.

There is no “best” choice. Do what interests you the most or which seems like the most valuable for your day to day job (or the job you’re looking to land).

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Passed my NSE 4 yesterday which felt good. The sample questions from Fortinet were not great though, the exam had a lot more config/output review. Plus a slew of base questions, which were nowhere to be found in the practice quizzes.

The computer at the testing center did pop-up a message about Windows not being licensed, which was uhh humorous and alarming. Still would rather go to a testing center than take it at home. Now to settle on dates for the NSE 5, just need to get things on the books before my vouchers expire.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Finally in a position to really go after the CCIE Collab, after a few years of prep, and getting extreme cold feet. Just not sure if its worth it in this market anymore, but also not sure what else I would do.

Also seems like I have brainworms because any CCIE is valuable always and forever :shrug:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vampire Panties posted:

Finally in a position to really go after the CCIE Collab, after a few years of prep, and getting extreme cold feet. Just not sure if its worth it in this market anymore, but also not sure what else I would do.

Also seems like I have brainworms because any CCIE is valuable always and forever :shrug:

Sounds like you’re afraid of failing and trying to rationalize not taking the chance due to that fear. You got this. Even if you don’t pass it’s experience you can apply for the next shot. No disrespect meant — good luck, friend.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

LochNessMonster posted:

Cloud Practicioner is the AZ-900 equivalent. With 0 experience you can do the AWS free training course in a week and pass it. I refer to it as “the sales/marketing” cert, as it gives you a high level overview of the most popular services and what they can be used for.

After that you get the Associate tier consisting of Architect, SysOps and Developer. Architect is the most broad one, SysOps a bit smaller but goes slightly deeper into the operational side of services. There is some overlap between SysOps and Architect tracks. Developer is the odd duck and focusses on a lot of different services.

Then you have the Professional tier which has Architect and DevOps. Those are more in depth then the Associate tier exams and pretty hard mostly due to time constraints. You can jump straight into them and skip the Associate tier if you want to. I’d only advise that if you have the experience though.

Besides these tracks you have the specialty exams, Security, Networking, Data Analytics, ML, Databases amd SAP (yes, really, SAP). Unless you are an SME in one of these fields I’d not start with these. Even if you are I’d probably still do the Associate Architect first.

There is no “best” choice. Do what interests you the most or which seems like the most valuable for your day to day job (or the job you’re looking to land).

Thank you.

Just to add a little context: I’m a developer looking to get some certs to branch out and also pad my resume/LinkedIn and I wouldn’t mind going into devops.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Illusive Man posted:

FWIW, there’s almost no EIGRP on the current version of the CCNA. OSPF is their big focus as far as IGPs go.

That said, I work for an EIGRP-only shop so as Kazinsal said there are plenty of them out there. If you’re willing to take certification exam to maintain your career path then you should be willing to learn a new routing protocol as well.

I didn't meant to poo poo on EIGRP peeps, I just meant that I feel like 20% of this drat test is like stuff that I will probably never use: most likely Cisco proprietary automation poo poo these days.

Oh well, gotta get to studying. My loving job depends on it me passing it in 3 months now.

My boss also mentioned some sort of FortiNet Network Cert based solely around locking down credentials for wifi logins and poo poo? I don't think it is a straight FortiNet NSE1-6, as it had more letters behind it like NSE-##### or something. Does that sound familiar to someone?

I thought I'd ask here before I look like a dumbass and have to ask my boss again since I forgot to take a screenshot of what he was hinting "I should look into"

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 2, 2023

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Noam Chomsky posted:

Thank you.

Just to add a little context: I’m a developer looking to get some certs to branch out and also pad my resume/LinkedIn and I wouldn’t mind going into devops.

If you want to do the Cloud Practicioner first you can get 25% off if you complete the Cloud Practicioner Quest game: https://go.aws/3zqOW6j

You do need to schedule the exam before 1st of August, but seeing it takes about a week or so to study that shouldn’t be an issue.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

jeeves posted:

I didn't meant to poo poo on EIGRP peeps, I just meant that I feel like 20% of this drat test is like stuff that I will probably never use: most likely Cisco proprietary automation poo poo these days.

Oh well, gotta get to studying. My loving job depends on it me passing it in 3 months now.

My boss also mentioned some sort of FortiNet Network Cert based solely around locking down credentials for wifi logins and poo poo? I don't think it is a straight FortiNet NSE1-6, as it had more letters behind it like NSE-##### or something. Does that sound familiar to someone?

I thought I'd ask here before I look like a dumbass and have to ask my boss again since I forgot to take a screenshot of what he was hinting "I should look into"

Fortinet loves to make a long exam/course name, they'll all be NSE # - [Application] - [Version]. So in your case maybe it's the NSE 6 - FortiAuthenticator 6.4, but you'd have a better idea of what Fortifun is running on your network. Their training page is pretty okay for showing what they have, when you go into the specific pages for each level.

https://www.fortinet.com/nse-training

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Got my CySA+!

I definitely did not think I was going to pass. I clicked finished test and thought, "well there goes $400".

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

Got my CySA+!

I definitely did not think I was going to pass. I clicked finished test and thought, "well there goes $400".

Congratulations!!!!!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Got my CySA+!

I’m supposed to take mine end of summer. Would you be up for a PM to talk about what you saw and what you were surprised by. Any tips and tricks are welcome!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Sacrist65 posted:

Got my CySA+!

Congrats!

How hard do you think it would be for someone without any prior certain?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

navyjack posted:

I’m supposed to take mine end of summer. Would you be up for a PM to talk about what you saw and what you were surprised by. Any tips and tricks are welcome!

Of course. I watched the Dion Training Udemy course at 1.25x speed and took occasional notes (30 hours). Then I got the sybex practice questions book and took the 2 practice tests at the end. I bombed them but I researched why the correct answer was correct and made sure I understood it (10 hours). Then I got the Dion Training practice questions module on Udemy and scored most tests in the 80s and researched why I got the wrong answers (12 hours). Then retook the tests and got 90s.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Congrats!

How hard do you think it would be for someone without any prior certain?

Hard unless you've worked in a SOC before. I hadn't but I had SEC+ (3 years ago) CCNA and some Linux background, although I haven't done formal it work. I barely passed. It's not impossible though. If you can get mid 80s on the Dion practice tests without memorization Id say you're ready.

I'd say get Sec+, Linux+ and maybe even pentest + first, since pentest + forces you to do the actual hands on part.

It's designed to be for someone in the industry for 4 years and honestly I don't think I'm better off with the cert since I don't have that experience yet.

Not sure where I should go now. Maybe CISSP? AZ-500? CISA? I live near the HQ of some big accounting/auditing firms but I'm really enjoying working from home

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Of course. I watched the Dion Training Udemy course at 1.25x speed and took occasional notes (30 hours). Then I got the sybex practice questions book and took the 2 practice tests at the end. I bombed them but I researched why the correct answer was correct and made sure I understood it (10 hours). Then I got the Dion Training practice questions module on Udemy and scored most tests in the 80s and researched why I got the wrong answers (12 hours). Then retook the tests and got 90s.

Hard unless you've worked in a SOC before. I hadn't but I had SEC+ (3 years ago) CCNA and some Linux background, although I haven't done formal it work. I barely passed. It's not impossible though. If you can get mid 80s on the Dion practice tests without memorization Id say you're ready.

I'd say get Sec+, Linux+ and maybe even pentest + first, since pentest + forces you to do the actual hands on part.

It's designed to be for someone in the industry for 4 years and honestly I don't think I'm better off with the cert since I don't have that experience yet.

Not sure where I should go now. Maybe CISSP? AZ-500? CISA? I live near the HQ of some big accounting/auditing firms but I'm really enjoying working from home

Ok all good info. I work in a SOC as an analyst now. I have some hands on with Splunk and some other standard analysis and automation tools, as well as IR, CTI, and threat hunter colleagues sitting nearby to ask questions. I’ve got Sec and Net+, as well. I’m mostly getting the CySA for something to do while promotions are frozen, so when they unfreeze, I’ve got something to show.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

navyjack posted:

Ok all good info. I work in a SOC as an analyst now. I have some hands on with Splunk and some other standard analysis and automation tools, as well as IR, CTI, and threat hunter colleagues sitting nearby to ask questions. I’ve got Sec and Net+, as well. I’m mostly getting the CySA for something to do while promotions are frozen, so when they unfreeze, I’ve got something to show.

I would just take the Dion Training practice exams on Udemy to gage where your knowledge level is first. It's like $12. If you score in the 90s on the first try you'll probably pass the exam.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm looking to learn Kubernetes. Is there a base-level Kubernetes certification that is half-way respectable?

Not looking to claim I'm a k8s expert but rather something that will help me get past the initial HR screener. Also, I learn better when I have a clear framework and meaningful goal. Looking to utilize them in the context of DBA work.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
If anyone's passed the CCNP in the last year, what did you guys use for the learning material?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking to learn Kubernetes. Is there a base-level Kubernetes certification that is half-way respectable?

Not looking to claim I'm a k8s expert but rather something that will help me get past the initial HR screener. Also, I learn better when I have a clear framework and meaningful goal. Looking to utilize them in the context of DBA work.

Certified Kunbernetes Application Developer (CKAD) teaches you how to deploy applications to Kubernetes. This is a great way to learn how to work with k8s.

Next step is building / maintaining your own cluster which is what Certifies Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) will teach you.

Don’t get the official training material which is complete garbage. Go for the KodeKloud course on udemy for ~20 bucks. It includes permanent access to the labs in the KodeKloud environment which is very nice.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

Certified Kunbernetes Application Developer (CKAD) teaches you how to deploy applications to Kubernetes. This is a great way to learn how to work with k8s.

Next step is building / maintaining your own cluster which is what Certifies Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) will teach you.

Don’t get the official training material which is complete garbage. Go for the KodeKloud course on udemy for ~20 bucks. It includes permanent access to the labs in the KodeKloud environment which is very nice.

Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

I picked up that Kodekloud CKAD course and realized I know none of the basics, so I also purchased the Kodekloud "Kubernetes for Absolute Beginners". I found it to be informative and practical, and the hands-on labs were great. No complaints for $29 (which I'm going to try and recoup from work).

Moving on to the CKAD course now. Hopefully there are MOLAAR bucks in my future.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Took and passed the AZ-900 today. Only studied for like two days using MS Learn and some Udemy practice tests. It was mindbogglingly easy. Like easier than the MS-900.

Though I was convinced it was going to be much harder than it was. Saw a bunch of random posts on Reddit saying "Oh you have no idea how hard this exam is. It's actually really HARD and I studied for two weeks!" though, that really should have told me how easy it was going to end up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Handsome Ralph posted:

Took and passed the AZ-900 today. Only studied for like two days using MS Learn and some Udemy practice tests. It was mindbogglingly easy. Like easier than the MS-900.

Though I was convinced it was going to be much harder than it was. Saw a bunch of random posts on Reddit saying "Oh you have no idea how hard this exam is. It's actually really HARD and I studied for two weeks!" though, that really should have told me how easy it was going to end up being.

Nice. I’ve been looking at that one too.