Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Taliban guys doing workout vids at the presidential palace was so funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

man the ~cultural appropriation~ discourse doesn't have the juice it used to — and thank god, those were some of the dumbest and most convoluted args ever argged

this person (NYT food writer?) is gettin cooked in the replies and QTs for making GBS threads on this guy for trying to make homemade naan, people are posting pico de gallo she made 2 years ago lmao

https://twitter.com/ourobororoboruo/status/1643652398810791958
https://twitter.com/ourobororoboruo/status/1643980341840052229

my favorite claim of cultural appropriation ever was when I was looking at a seattle reddit after moving here and some "seattle native" white guy was whining about people moving in for tech jobs and then wearing flannel during winter.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Spergin Morlock posted:

my favorite claim of cultural appropriation ever was when I was looking at a seattle reddit after moving here and some "seattle native" white guy was whining about people moving in for tech jobs and then wearing flannel during winter.

he's right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

my bony fealty posted:

All the people being like ha what a bunch of weaklings and it's like well they beat you...

projecthalaxy posted:

the fact that taliban guys are like "hey wait being a government bureaucrat sucks" is kinda funny

I'm surprised nobody tried to spin that as a cultural victory

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

I appropriate from multiple cultures by making naan pizza. although I guess Italians don't count

saw a crazy rear end white boi eating naan once by putting the chicken on a topping. Powerful moment.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
like you respect the culture enough to go out of your way and construct a tandoor in your backyard as a fun weekend activity with your kids. I really hope you and your family enjoyed eating it even though it doesn't look restaurant level.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Spergin Morlock posted:

Wearing a flannelette shirt is true blue Aussie culture and I won't stand for these hoity toity middle class yank cunts stealing are culcha m8

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

my bony fealty posted:

Also when they were heavily armed and on the duck boats, just having a blast

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

the unabonger posted:

lmao, is this about the state sponsered media tag?

twitterites mass discovering D&D media literacy semantics for the first time

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zipperelli. posted:

Also when they were heavily armed and on the duck boats, just having a blast

That was the Taliban navy, not the army.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Colonel Cancer posted:

I appropriate from multiple cultures by making naan pizza. although I guess Italians don't count

you won't offend italians. it's naan-pizza

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

That was the Taliban navy, not the army.

Taliban ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/compactmag_/status/1644276183062781956

quote:

For better or for worse, American presidents have been shielded from prosecution. The downside of this is that our leaders haven’t faced consequences for their crimes, despite having done far worse than Trump. But the upside is that political struggles are confined to the realm of politics and electioneering, and the justice system is protected from contamination by partisan vendettas. The American judiciary, for all its faults, is often the last protection people have against the overreach of permanent state bureaucracies and corporate power. With the Trump arrest, we have crossed a dangerous threshold.
"Presidents being above the law is good, actually" is a hell of a take.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Youth Decay posted:

(..)
"Presidents being above the law is good, actually" is a hell of a take.

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/document/transcript-of-david-frosts-interview-with-richard-nixon/ posted:

(..)
Nixon: Well, when the president does it … that means that it is not illegal.
(..)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The law gets weaponized all the time to prosecute specific people in biased ways to pursue ideological ends, so having someone above the law is useful if they're acting in a way that opposes special interests, like imperialism

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

this terminally online moron seriously thinks the Taliban is watching twitter like a hawk to decide how to treat Westeners

its literally their worldview, so why wouldn't it be the taliban's as well?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

The law gets weaponized all the time to prosecute specific people in biased ways to pursue ideological ends, so having someone above the law is useful if they're acting in a way that opposes special interests, like imperialism

Trump drone striked the Middle East as hard as Obama and had John loving Bolton whispering in his ear (resulting in the assassination of an Iranian general because Bolton had a war boner), he also raged about CHYNA and communism and blamed them for Covid. He's as bad as any American president and the fact that other presidents have gotten away with their crimes doesn't mean Trump should too.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Trump drone striked the Middle East as hard as Obama and had John loving Bolton whispering in his ear (resulting in the assassination of an Iranian general because Bolton had a war boner), he also raged about CHYNA and communism and blamed them for Covid. He's as bad as any American president and the fact that other presidents have gotten away with their crimes doesn't mean Trump should too.

quote:

By early summer 2017, the Joint Chiefs of Staff had become so worried that they held a meeting with Trump at the Pentagon at which they attempted to explain how America’s informal empire functions. Trump didn’t dig the presentation. Calling his generals “dopes and babies” and “losers,” he demanded to know why the United States wasn’t receiving free oil from the Middle East. “We spent $7 trillion; they’re ripping us off.… Where is the loving oil?” After the meeting, Trump continued to take an executive-branch-sized hammer to the elaborate political, diplomatic, economic, and military architecture of US global hegemony.

Trump’s assault on the foreign-policy status quo is all the more remarkable for the near total lack of literature discussing it. Here is a very brief sketch of what he did: Trump ordered the withdrawal of one-third of all US military personnel from Germany, which is a central fulcrum for the entire American imperial project. The 40 German military installations housing US troops support American military operations in 104 countries and contain an estimated 150 nuclear weapons; among other projects, the military’s Africa Command is headquartered in Germany. Trump also ordered a quarter of US troops withdrawn from South Korea, which plays a similar role to that of Germany as a central, high-tech node of US power projection throughout the entire East-Asian region.

Trump likewise drew down the US military role in Syria, even as the foreign-policy establishment urged him to overthrow Bashar al-Assad. He withdrew troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, refused to escalate in Libya, and withdrew almost all US special forces from Somalia. In the rest of Africa, he mused about closing all US embassies—important nodes of Central Intelligence Agency operations.

On the economic and diplomatic front, Trump pursued similar anti-imperial policies. He repeatedly talked about withdrawing from NATO entirely. He insulted European leaders to their faces while he became buddies with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. He pulled the plug on the Trans Pacific Partnership, which was to have been the mother of all free-trade agreements and the centerpiece of the “pivot to Asia” sought by Barack Obama. He renegotiated the North American Free Trade Agreement after having first attempted to scrap the whole thing unilaterally.

[...]

As president, Trump stressed the tremendous costs of America’s overseas commitments. He seemed not to grasp how lavish public spending on the American imperium translates into considerable privatized gains for the American 1 percent. The nation’s richest citizens benefit from the informal empire not only thanks to lavish arms contracts, but also in the form of ready access to cheap labor and raw materials abroad. There are also the steady tribute payments in the form of foreign investment in America’s high-end real-estate markets, art scene, and financial sector. Servicing the Global South’s sovereign debt and managing vast deposits of often ill-gotten flight capital make for lucrative business.

This cavalier disregard for establishment interests is, at bottom, why the national-security class— as well as the political consultants, the media, and mainstream politicians—despise him. It is the real reason the Russiagate hoax had so much traction; that cartoonish fabrication was a way of telling the American public that Trump was bad for US foreign policy without also explaining the truth of what US foreign policy really looks like and who it really benefits.

Parenti's right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Trump certainly opposed us interests when he let Israel change its capital to Jerusalem

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/benjaminnorton/status/1641784451930763264?s=46&t=YjAdrC5z2HpTKJK1s-6pYw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Trump opposes imperialism fuckin lol gently caress. for real he does

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

indigi posted:

Trump opposes imperialism fuckin lol gently caress. for real he does

hey only muh dems are qualified to use double standards

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the author isn't trying to claim that trump is some ideological anti-imperialist, but that he has no understanding of how imperialism actually works. to him bringing the boys home from overseas, ending the TPP, etc, is just old fashioned partisan politics because he's kinda an idiot.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Trump was a genuinely incompetent imperialist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no he purposely worked to rein in American imperialism

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

indigi posted:

no he purposely worked to rein in American imperialism

Golden retriever brain is the correct mode of analysis for the Trump presidency.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Youth Decay posted:

I would support Trump's prosecution for war crimes but do not for this obviously politically motivated hatchet job.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

because he will never face even remotely proportional consequences I don't particularly care what Trump is prosecuted for as long as it annoys him, which this very clearly does

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is how much MPs get paid

https://twitter.com/Shuayb__/status/1644347522540814342?t=nkTCpSobYPCjW0Bdnjg4xA&s=19

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Candles: £3000

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Your take home pay is after tax, so he’s taken out income tax twice

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Endman posted:

Your take home pay is after tax, so he’s taken out income tax twice

Nah the second chunk is breaking the 85k down into subtotals although it doesn't help that he shifts from annual to monthly when talking about costs. The maths is the only thing right in that post though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

of course Trump supported and further entrenched the interests of the deep state. they would have killed him if it was otherwise.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Including "Savings" into expenses is some big brain poo poo, though, having 1.9k a month "left over" is more than some people get paid monthly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Party Boat posted:

Nah the second chunk is breaking the 85k down into subtotals although it doesn't help that he shifts from annual to monthly when talking about costs. The maths is the only thing right in that post though

Turns out after I deduct all of my expenses and savings from my wages there's comparatively little money left.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Does UK have baller politicians who spend every dime they get on cool parties?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

Does UK have baller politicians who spend every dime they get on cool parties?

depends how "cool" you consider pedophile sex parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

those are subsidized by the state I would assume