Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Vadoc posted:

I was going to go to Memory Express to put in an order for my build with the 7800x3d but everyone is still without power from the ice storm. :negative:

the one in etobicoke said they weren't expecting theirs for another 2 weeks :rip:

luckily I've got a busy AF easter weekend anyways so this means I won't be staring longingly at a CPU I'm not allowed to touch until sunday - hoping CC gets their stock on saturday and I can grab it asap monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I found out that AsRock X670E PG Lightning has all the daughterboard slots that I need (4 in total with GPU, Audio, NIC, and HBA) in a configuration that makes sense for what I'm trying to do (ie. not end up with lane sharing on devices which are meant to satuate as many of their lanes as possible).
It's also a fair chunk less expensive than the Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master.

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOkJFOL5jY

Considering AMD seem to be stuck behind Nvidia when it comes to gpu video encoding, this looks like a good product with seriously aggressive pricing.
Huh.
HUH.

I didn't know these existed.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I found out that AsRock X670E PG Lightning has all the daughterboard slots that I need (4 in total with GPU, Audio, NIC, and HBA) in a configuration that makes sense for what I'm trying to do (ie. not end up with lane sharing on devices which are meant to satuate as many of their lanes as possible).

Yeah it's a pretty incredible board for value compared to the competition. There's a lot of plain-jane B650 boards that are still more expensive with half the features.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Huh.
HUH.

I didn't know these existed.
Just announced today.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18805/amd-announces-alveo-ma35d-media-accelerator-av1-video-encode-at-1w-per-stream
The predecessor card was pre-AMD acquisition, and was 264/265 so not as sexy as AV1.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I swear to god if this loving machine doesn't stop hard locking randomly every 12-36 hours I'm going to go buy a 13700K.

Never in my life have I had a platform so horribly unstable. It sucks because the 7700X is an absolute powerhouse when I need it to be but the fact that sometimes it'll even crash twice in the same day and no combination of BIOS updates/reseating RAM/AMD driver updates has been able to fix it is making me think something here is just hosed and I don't have time to deal with RMAing each part individually and being down while I wait for replacement parts to get back to Canada.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it's a pretty incredible board for value compared to the competition. There's a lot of plain-jane B650 boards that are still more expensive with half the features.
It really does look like it's got everything I could possibly want, given the amount of options in the UEFI document - there's even mention of the option of enabling ECC, and AGESA has been updated to the version that's support it properly.

So in theory, if ECC-DIMMs ever get fast enough, I can replace the memory I plan on buying.
I decided against the 4800MT 16G ECC DIMMs (since I couldn't find out if running four of them lets me overclock to 6000MT without wining the M-die lottery), but even outside of that use-case, just being able to buy a single ECC DIMM to confirm things is nice, especially because I noticed that the UEFI lets you control if NMEs are generated.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just announced today.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18805/amd-announces-alveo-ma35d-media-accelerator-av1-video-encode-at-1w-per-stream
The predecessor card was pre-AMD acquisition, and was 264/265 so not as sexy as AV1.
I heard of the Alveo U30, but the thing is that unless you were a hyperscaler, you genuinely couldn't buy it, no matter how many money your threw at Xilinx - so it never seemed worth looking into it.

Kazinsal posted:

I swear to god if this loving machine doesn't stop hard locking randomly every 12-36 hours I'm going to go buy a 13700K.

Never in my life have I had a platform so horribly unstable. It sucks because the 7700X is an absolute powerhouse when I need it to be but the fact that sometimes it'll even crash twice in the same day and no combination of BIOS updates/reseating RAM/AMD driver updates has been able to fix it is making me think something here is just hosed and I don't have time to deal with RMAing each part individually and being down while I wait for replacement parts to get back to Canada.
Yours is unfortunately not the first tale of woe I've heard involving Asus boards, which is why I've ended up avoiding this time - and I used to be a big fan of their products.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

since I couldn't find out if running four of them lets me overclock to 6000MT without wining the M-die lottery
Uh, I thought 6000MT on all channels is practically a no-go to begin with?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, really?! :mad:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope that's not the case, since I find myself needing another 32GB (on top of the 32GB i have now).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah something something signaling bullshit. Maybe it depends based on the topology, chained or T.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I don't use my PC for much more than gaming and browsing, so the general workstation task performance loss with the X3D variants doesn't matter much to me. I'm curious about streaming though, as I am on twitch a bit. Any reason to think the 7800X3D would be a bad choice for occasional streaming in a 1 PC setup? Currently have a 3900x, for comparison sake. It would be paired with a 4080.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

whatis posted:

I don't use my PC for much more than gaming and browsing, so the general workstation task performance loss with the X3D variants doesn't matter much to me. I'm curious about streaming though, as I am on twitch a bit. Any reason to think the 7800X3D would be a bad choice for occasional streaming in a 1 PC setup? Currently have a 3900x, for comparison sake. It would be paired with a 4080.

You would use your GPU to encode the stream, so the CPU doesn't much matter for it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2 dimms per channel works on Zen 4, but you will need to severely cut frequencies to get it stable. Officially supported speeds at 4x1R or 4x2R is DDR5-3600. At CL30, thats a 23ns first word latency lol.

If you are doing anything except production tasks that require large amounts of ram and dont care about throughput/latency, you are much better off getting 2 dimms. Another reason why ITX reigns supreme!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Kibner posted:

You would use your GPU to encode the stream, so the CPU doesn't much matter for it.

I don't know why but for some reason I completely forgot about NVENC encoding when wavering on whether or not to pull the trigger on the 7800X3D, thank you for answering my dumb question

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Kibner posted:

whatis posted:

I don't know why but for some reason I completely forgot about NVENC encoding when wavering on whether or not to pull the trigger on the 7800X3D, thank you for answering my dumb question

You can use x264 on OBS which is CPU encoding and that results in much smaller file sizes, but that's the only real benefit to it over NVENC. Also worth noting that NVENC uses hardware that does nothing except video encode/decode on Nvidia GPUs so there's also that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

2 dimms per channel works on Zen 4, but you will need to severely cut frequencies to get it stable. Officially supported speeds at 4x1R or 4x2R is DDR5-3600. At CL30, thats a 23ns first word latency lol.

Well gently caress, I guess I’m returning some RAM.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yours is unfortunately not the first tale of woe I've heard involving Asus boards, which is why I've ended up avoiding this time - and I used to be a big fan of their products.

The BIOS updating procedure on current gen ASUS boards is also incredibly under-documented and has a bunch of hidden caveats and gotchas: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/trying-every-combination-flash-my-asus-motherboards-bios

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

Well gently caress, I guess I’m returning some RAM.

Those are the official speeds, your mileage will vary depending on the board/ram/IMC. There are some folks that report getting all the way up to 6000 with 4x8gb on some boards. With dual sided/2R/32GB dimms, I haven't heard of anyone even breaking like... 4800.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Honestly impressed with the gigabyte b650i aorus, it's been a while since I've built a new PC but man I couldn't imagine an easier bios flash, maybe it's the standard on newer PCs, but literally just unzip, dump on drive, plug it in, press bois flash button, and done 30seconds later.

I've read a lot about memory training shenanigans, first boot seemed to be a bit long, maybe 4min but that's it so far. *Knock on wood*.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

If you are doing anything except production tasks that require large amounts of ram and dont care about throughput/latency, you are much better off getting 2 dimms. Another reason why ITX reigns supreme!
Alright, 2x32GB G.Skill it is. At least I can get them without RGB.

Kazinsal posted:

The BIOS updating procedure on current gen ASUS boards is also incredibly under-documented and has a bunch of hidden caveats and gotchas: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/trying-every-combination-flash-my-asus-motherboards-bios
I'm an Asus user from the period when the option to format an USB drive and press a button wasn't available (or if so, only at the absolute high-end) so I'm intimately familiar with that.

It's still incredibly :stonklol:

In other news, with the much-needed help of the excellent people over in the PC building thread, I've managed to arrive at the following:
pre:
# New components				Price	URI
Motherboard:
AsRock X670E PG Lightning			~2400	https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20PG%20Lightning/index.us.asp

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D				~3900,-	https://www.amd.com/en/product/12731

RAM:
G.Skill F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5N			~2400,-	https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/393/1665020484/F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5N-Specification

PSU:
be quiet! DARK POWER 13 750W			~1000,-	https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/4044

Case: 
be quiet! SILENT BASE 802 Black	(no window)	~1500,-	https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/2049

Cooling:
1x be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 4			~800,-	https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378
8x be quiet! SILENT WINGS 4 140mm PWM		~1300,-	https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/3703

CPU fan layout:
Use both headers (for more quiet operation at idle)

Case fan layout :
CHA_FAN1	Using splitter: 3x top fans (exhaust)
CHA_FAN2	Using splitter: 3x front fans (intake)
CHA_FAN3	Using splitter: rear fan (exhaust) and psu shroud (intake, for GPU cooling)
CHA_FAn4	- (to be used for future NVMe Gen5 SSD)

# Existing components
GPU:
AsRock AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Challenger Pro OC 		https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon%20RX%206750%20XT%20Challenger%20Pro%2012GB%20OC/

Audio:
Asus Xonar D2X audio card (PCIe 1.0+ x1)

NIC:
Intel X550-AT2 10G SFP+ NIC (PCIe 3.0 x8)

HBA:
LSI SAS2008-8e

SSD:
Samsung 980 Pro MZ-V8P2T0BW 2TB				https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/internal-ssd/980pro/

# Daughterboard configuration:
PCIe 	slot 1 	Gen5 	x16 	GPU		
PCIe	slot 2	Gen4	x1 	Audio		 
PCIe	slot 3	Gen4	x4in16	NIC		
PCIe	slot 4	Gen4	x1in16	HBA		

M2	slot 1	Gen5	x4	SSD
M2	slot 2	Gen3	x4	-
M2	slot 3	Gen4	x2	-
M2	slot 4	Gen4	x4	-
Danish prices are weird. :denmark:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 6, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cygni posted:

7800X3D still available on newegg, dang. Demand really does seem to be down, or AMD's strategy of shifting power users to the 7950/7900X3D by delaying the 7800X3D worked.

Not sure when it happened, but it sold out sometime between this post and now. It definitely lasted longer than I expected, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

Those are the official speeds, your mileage will vary depending on the board/ram/IMC. There are some folks that report getting all the way up to 6000 with 4x8gb on some boards. With dual sided/2R/32GB dimms, I haven't heard of anyone even breaking like... 4800.

I just didn’t want to have to find 64GB DIMMs. I guess I’ll give it a try and see how memtest feels about it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

I just didn’t want to have to find 64GB DIMMs. I guess I’ll give it a try and see how memtest feels about it.

And 64gb UDIMMs aren't on the market yet, unfortunately. Only RDIMM. The roadmap for DDR5 does include up to 128GB dual rank UDIMMs, but we are likely years away from that.

The only way to get 128GB on AM5 today is with 4x32, which means you are forced to roll the dice with speed limits. It seems most of the compatability issues are ok now (at launch, 128GB did not work at all on many boards), but the speed is a different story.

FWIW, I came across a few Reddit posts claiming that the new 48GB sticks actually offer the best compatibility/speeds in 2DPC mode, perhaps even running at 5200MT. Still not....great, but could be much worse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

And 64gb UDIMMs aren't on the market yet, unfortunately. Only RDIMM. The roadmap for DDR5 does include up to 128GB dual rank UDIMMs, but we are likely years away from that.

The only way to get 128GB on AM5 today is with 4x32, which means you are forced to roll the dice with speed limits. It seems most of the compatability issues are ok now (at launch, 128GB did not work at all on many boards), but the speed is a different story.

FWIW, I came across a few Reddit posts claiming that the new 48GB sticks actually offer the best compatibility/speeds in 2DPC mode, perhaps even running at 5200MT. Still not....great, but could be much worse.
I went with the 2x32GB for my build because I'm hoping that eventually we'll see UDIMM with not just on-die ECC but real-ECC at some better speeds.

Here's the Anand article on when 1DPC vs 2DPC can - the take-away being that unless you're doing memory-intensive workloads (ie. not gaming, the opposite of what the X3Ds are best at), it doesn't really seem ilke it's gonna matter?

EDIT: That doesn't cover EXPO/XMP speeds, though - which is where it might introduce real issues?

Speaking of EXPO/XMP, if a DIMM says it supports XMP, does it mean it supports EXPO too?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 7, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I went with the 2x32GB for my build because I'm hoping that eventually we'll see UDIMM with not just on-die ECC but real-ECC at some better speeds.

Here's the Anand article on when 1DPC vs 2DPC can - the take-away being that unless you're doing memory-intensive workloads (ie. not gaming, the opposite of what the X3Ds are best at), it doesn't really seem ilke it's gonna matter?

EDIT: That doesn't cover EXPO/XMP speeds, though - which is where it might introduce real issues?

Speaking of EXPO/XMP, if a DIMM says it supports XMP, does it mean it supports EXPO too?

Yeah, for DDR5 in particular, 2x2R is superior to 4x1R at the same clocks based on what I've seen. 2x2R also lets run much higher clocks, in general. I think it was Wendell who said its best to consider Zen4 a single dimm per channel platform except in specific use cases, and thats probably a good way to think about it.

EXPO is a slightly different standard than XMP, as EXPO includes more subtimings. But all the AM5 boards I've looked at so far support both standards (it may have a different name in the BIOS to avoid royalties, like ASUS and DOCP). I looked pretty quickly and it seems prices for GSkill specifically between the Z5/Ripjaws vs Z5 Neo/Flare (XMP vs EXPO) are pretty close, anywhere from zero to $15 different at the same timings. If it was me, I think I would consider spending the few extra bucks just for the ease of not dealing with those subtimings.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOkJFOL5jY

Considering AMD seem to be stuck behind Nvidia when it comes to gpu video encoding, this looks like a good product with seriously aggressive pricing.

why wouldn't AMD gpus get a built in AV1 encode/decoder like they already have for h265, and AMD video encoding isn't really that trash.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Their newer 7xxx GPUs do have a AV1 encode/decoder. Its supposed to be pretty good actually and is comparable to the Intel or NV AV1 support overall.

The 6xxx GPU's had it too but it wasn't as good as NV's or Intel's. Wasn't exactly bad either though but some people like to blow things out of proportion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The thing with this card is that it is an order of magnitude more efficient than gpu encode/decode (35W for 32 simultaneous 1080p60 decodes!) while also producing higher-quality encodes with just 2 - 8ms of latency. EposVox talks a lot about the usefulness of these features for home users or small independent operations, but i feel like the dual-asic card is a bit overkill for those purposes. I wonder if AMD would create a single-asic version at an even lower cost for home users.

Also, I'm not sure how much encoding latency factors into the wider latency picture for cloud gaming, but I wonder if this could help make that more responsive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Yeah, for DDR5 in particular, 2x2R is superior to 4x1R at the same clocks based on what I've seen. 2x2R also lets run much higher clocks, in general. I think it was Wendell who said its best to consider Zen4 a single dimm per channel platform except in specific use cases, and thats probably a good way to think about it.

EXPO is a slightly different standard than XMP, as EXPO includes more subtimings. But all the AM5 boards I've looked at so far support both standards (it may have a different name in the BIOS to avoid royalties, like ASUS and DOCP). I looked pretty quickly and it seems prices for GSkill specifically between the Z5/Ripjaws vs Z5 Neo/Flare (XMP vs EXPO) are pretty close, anywhere from zero to $15 different at the same timings. If it was me, I think I would consider spending the few extra bucks just for the ease of not dealing with those subtimings.
I had another re-check of the prices, and yeah it's simply not enough to bother with for the extra worry.

It doesn't look like the low-profile Flare kits exist in 2x32GB though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The thing with this card is that it is an order of magnitude more efficient than gpu encode/decode (35W for 32 simultaneous 1080p60 decodes!) while also producing higher-quality encodes with just 2 - 8ms of latency. EposVox talks a lot about the usefulness of these features for home users or small independent operations, but i feel like the dual-asic card is a bit overkill for those purposes. I wonder if AMD would create a single-asic version at an even lower cost for home users.

Also, I'm not sure how much encoding latency factors into the wider latency picture for cloud gaming, but I wonder if this could help make that more responsive.
Removing one ASIC would mean it'd only support H26[4|5] or AV1, not both - at least that's what I'd expect, given how the Alveo U30 had one ASIC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the diagram they showed, it seems like each ASIC has four encoder units, two of which support h264, h265, and AV1, and the other two of which support only AV1. They use two of the same ASICs to double max throughput I guess, so one should be capable of all the same things as two, just with half as many possible simultaneous operations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm an Asus user from the period when the option to format an USB drive and press a button wasn't available (or if so, only at the absolute high-end) so I'm intimately familiar with that.

It's still incredibly :stonklol:
Eh, YMMV. I have an X670E TUF from Asus, and it ate my USB3 flash drive from Samsung formatted with exFAT just fine. At least with the flasher inside the UEFI. —edit: IIRC, I even used a front panel connector. That was unheard of in the past.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, YMMV. I have an X670E TUF from Asus, and it ate my USB3 flash drive from Samsung formatted with exFAT just fine. At least with the flasher inside the UEFI. —edit: IIRC, I even used a front panel connector. That was unheard of in the past.
The Asus motherboard I was talking about was from 2011, and used the P67 chipset.

The chipset is also dead now, and the PSU is likely suspect.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Jim Keller's saying that Zen 5 is supposed to have a 20% IPC improvement, what? I'm not sure if I can really trust anything the guy says in public anymore honestly.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90980/amd-zen-5-cpus-will-be-very-fast-this-is-leak-you-should-sit-up-and-listen-to/index.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Asus motherboard I was talking about was from 2011, and used the P67 chipset.

The chipset is also dead now, and the PSU is likely suspect.
I was sorta gleaning at the post you quoted.

I remember that P67 chipset and its loving SATA flaw. I had issues returning my P8P67 from Asus for a Rev. 3 version. The dipshits took it to the back of the shop and miraculously found bent pins in the socket, that I'm fairly certain weren't there when I put the plastic lid back in. Caused some in-store drama.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

Jim Keller's saying that Zen 5 is supposed to have a 20% IPC improvement, what? I'm not sure if I can really trust anything the guy says in public anymore honestly.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90980/amd-zen-5-cpus-will-be-very-fast-this-is-leak-you-should-sit-up-and-listen-to/index.html

20% is roughly the IPC uplift from Zen 2 to Zen 3, isn't it? Zen 5 is said by a few different sources to be AMD's most radical architectural overhaul since Zen 1. So maybe?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 7, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Its a strange thing to lie about. He doesn't work there anymore

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems to mesh well with the other reports of 15-26% IPC improvement for Zen 5. Zen 5 vs Arrow Lake gonna be wild, double digit framerates in Cities Skylines at fast speed lets goooo.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That card is for hardcore media nerds who need a TON of decode/encode bandwidth. It's overkill for 95% of "streamers". It does have value though for those that can utilize it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stanley Pain posted:

That card is for hardcore media nerds who need a TON of decode/encode bandwidth. It's overkill for 95% of "streamers". It does have value though for those that can utilize it.

I saw the chat around it and was really confused. What enthusiast needs 3+ simultaneous encodes, let alone 32? Isn't the encoding case for gamers 1 stream, and even for a Plex server with a lot of friends 4-ish tops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

I saw the chat around it and was really confused. What enthusiast needs 3+ simultaneous encodes, let alone 32? Isn't the encoding case for gamers 1 stream, and even for a Plex server with a lot of friends 4-ish tops?

It's for Twitch. Like, the company. Not the users on either end.