Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

John Allison Doujinshi Theatre Presents:

Kit + The Wolf

Looks cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

thisusedyet posted:

All the head trauma's fried her pain receptors
:spidey:

1980 comics

Bonus: Supply your own caption, I guess.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

You and me both, buddy. :sigh:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

Top tier pun for computoon.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress strong bond is that? The only interaction I've ever seen between you and your kid or between you and other people talking about your kid is you calling her a lazy stupid rear end in a top hat you wish you'd never pushed out.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 04, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Do they sell Kinder Surprise Eggs in the United States yet or are they still forbidden?

In case they are still banned, they are small milk/white chocolate eggs that have a plastic cylinder inside. Inside the cylinder is a surprise, usually a small toy or something.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I haven't exactly gone and looked for a while but I *think* they lifted the ban on them. Which was loving stupid; pay attention to your drat child and maybe them hamfisting the whole thing into their face won't be an issue in the first place.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Kind of...?

Instead of the chocolate egg, we get some white goop with a couple of crunchy bits. The prizes are still better than anything from the USA, though (says the old guy who remembers when Cracker Jack actually had cool prizes).

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

$20 in 1938 is $426.72 today.

$31.50 in 1947 is $424.95 today

Some fun fenugreek facts.

quote:

Dietary supplement

Fenugreek dietary supplements are manufactured from powdered seeds into capsules, loose powders, teas, and liquid extracts in many countries.[4][5] Powders may also be used as a topical medication or dressing for skin wounds or eczema.[4] There is no high-quality evidence that these products have any clinical effectiveness.[4][5]

quote:

Research

Constituents of fenugreek seeds include flavonoids, alkaloids, coumarins, vitamins, and saponins; the most prevalent alkaloid is trigonelline and coumarins include cinnamic acid and scopoletin.[3] Research into whether fenugreek reduces biomarkers in people with diabetes and with pre-diabetic conditions is of limited quality.[22]

As of 2020, there was no high-quality evidence for whether fenugreek is safe and effective to relieve dysmenorrhea[4][23] or improve lactation during breastfeeding.[24] Studies of fenugreek are characterized as having variable, poor experimental design and quality, including small numbers of subjects, failure to describe methods, inconsistency and duration of dosing, and non-recording of adverse effects.[23][24]

Because research on potential biological effects of consuming fenugreek has provided no high-quality evidence for health or anti-disease effect, fenugreek is not approved or recommended for clinical use by the United States Food and Drug Administration.[4][5]

quote:

Adverse effects and allergies

Use of fenugreek has potential for serious adverse effects, as it may be unsafe for women with hormone-sensitive cancers.[4][5] Fenugreek is not safe for use during pregnancy, as it has possible abortifacient effects and may induce preterm uterine contractions.[3][4]

Some people are allergic to fenugreek, including those with peanut allergy or chickpea allergy.[3][4] Fenugreek seeds can cause diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal distention, flatulence, perspiration, and a maple-like smell to sweat, urine or breast milk.[3][4][5] There is a risk of hypoglycemia particularly in people with diabetes, and it may interfere with the activity of anti-diabetic drugs.[3][4] Because of the high content of coumarin-like compounds in fenugreek, it may interfere with the activity and dosing of anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs.[3][4]

Fenugreek sprouts, cultivated from a single specific batch of seeds imported from Egypt into Germany in 2009, were implicated as the source of the 2011 outbreak of Escherichia coli O104:H4 in Germany and France.[25] Identification of a common producer and a single batch of fenugreek seeds was evidence for the origin of the outbreaks.[26]

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Do they sell Kinder Surprise Eggs in the United States yet or are they still forbidden?

In case they are still banned, they are small milk/white chocolate eggs that have a plastic cylinder inside. Inside the cylinder is a surprise, usually a small toy or something.

Kinder Surprise is still banned in America, but they do allow the lame Kinder Joy instead.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mark you drove to the camp in a car.

They send ambulances to places.

This is going to be an entire week of 6+ adults not figuring this out, which is classic MT padding at this point. All of Jules' issues with MT stem from how incredibly lazy she is about it, whether deliberately lame or she's just sick of her lucky break.

quote:

Footrot Flats

Lmao

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 7, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(August 6, 1916)

Little Nemo(December 31, 1905)

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Olympus posted:

oh no archie finally printed a racist one

just popeye holding out on the old-timey comics front

there was a storyline where they were all in the southwest and popeye yells out "an indian!" before socking the first man he sees

e: yeah, that vvv

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 7, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

there was a storyline where they were all in the southwest and popeye yells out "well blow me down! an injun!" before socking the first man he sees

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

They never got banned in Canada, I can tell you that much. As far as our horrifically devalued currency goes though if you want a sweet that's a hybrid of milk and white chocolate, you want he Kinder Bueno instead. You get a nice wafery crunch in there as well.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Someone should beat the Intelligent Life characters to death with a rock.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Esplanade posted:

Kind of...?

Instead of the chocolate egg, we get some white goop with a couple of crunchy bits. The prizes are still better than anything from the USA, though (says the old guy who remembers when Cracker Jack actually had cool prizes).

Kinder Surprise, the ones where the toy is inside the chocolate, are still banned. Kinder Joy is a different egg-shaped chocolate that's not unique to the US.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

Krazy Kat(August 6, 1916)

Little Nemo(December 31, 1905)

Krazy Kat remains impenetrable to me, although I like Herriman's art.

As for Nemo, I've always liked this one.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 19, 1956)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

I don't think Jules is making MT with kids as the audience in mind. Too much crypto bro stuff. I think she doesn't know what audience she's aiming for, so she writes whatever she feels like and all the villains are the people that annoy her.
So really no actual difference to Jam except she can be trusted not to be rightwing on twitter

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For the hate reading for Mark Trail this week, it could be that she's assuming that "retreat" implies that the location is remote. Even with road access it's not always easy to get an ambulance into remote locations, which is a mistake that gets a lot of people into trouble. Maybe the billionaire could call a medivac helicopter.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/6/03

Brenda Starr 9/25-27/50

Smokey Stover 12/6/53

Everyday Movies 4/15/36

"It's about time we took down th' 'Gigantic Opening' and put up the 'Stupendous Bankruptcy.'"

Invisible Gorilla O'Neil 3/24-26/41

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The pacing of Scarlet is incredible. :allears: "So much for true love! This week: a big ape!" Christ.. "It looks like you knew this beautiful woman!" "No thanks!" FIN

CommonShore posted:

For the hate reading for Mark Trail this week, it could be that she's assuming that "retreat" implies that the location is remote. Even with road access it's not always easy to get an ambulance into remote locations, which is a mistake that gets a lot of people into trouble. Maybe the billionaire could call a medivac helicopter.

Mark had time to go home and get his dog in rich people adjacent suburbia. :shrug:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 7, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, so if the Joker didn't get into crime, he'd be an orthodontist. Makes sense.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
How long until we get weekday MT strips generated by chatgpt? Would Jules bother to clean up the extra hands?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2023: HAMBOLI! HAMBOLI! HAMBOLI!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Krazy Kat remains impenetrable to me, although I like Herriman's art.

As for Nemo, I've always liked this one.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 19, 1956)

Arn french fried when he should've pizza'd. A shameful prince

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Transmodiar posted:

A slight flaw in the evil plan here: after they've left her in the desert, there's nothing to stop her from putting a note in the glove compartment saying "I was murdered by so-and-so, who is also running a nickel mine fraud. Love, Judy"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Olympus posted:

oh no archie finally printed a racist one

just popeye holding out on the old-timey comics front

You better sit down, because apart from the one the others mentioned, the Thimble Theater storyline that introduced Popeye was about Castor setting his mind on using the good luck Wiffle Bird to break the bank at the gamblers' haven of Dice Island. But before they let him sit at the big tables, he built up his bankroll by shooting craps with the janitor. Three guesses how Segar depicted the janitor. One of the hazards of doing these archive crawls is that for a good-sized chunk of the twentieth century, there was an industry standard for how American comics depicted non-Anglo-European types, and pretty much all the creators who sold to the mainstream press (and drew human beings) lived down to it in one way or another.

I'd go into it a bit more, but we're overdue finding out how Sally Forth pissed off her mother this time.

Mutts gets bumped down a slot today, because that's the only way that segue would've worked.

Skippy (May 11, 1935)

Peanuts (March 30, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff, guest starring the Unspeakably Huge Arrow Of Reader Direction.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 7, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 30-July 2, 1941)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

I'd go into it a bit more, but we're overdue finding out how Sally Forth pissed off her mother this time.

And your children don’t deserve to be saddled with you. Just dump her off at the nearest park with her luggage. Sorry your poor life planning made your final days homeless.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you Mark Trail. This wasn't 5 days worth of insurmountable problem.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth pissed off her mother this time.

I'm impressed that Grandma Forth managed to defy all the reasonable takes in this thread and be an rear end in a top hat about something else. Kinda getting sick of Sally's inability to even present arguments though.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

why is this so cool even if I don't understand it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'm kinda feeling buyer's remorse here, I know I said I wanted Estelle happy, but loving hell this is dragging.

Can Wilbur turn out to have been hiding beneath her floor boards all this time or something already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Ah yes: as we all know, only evil 'dregs' sneaking through 'the immigration filter' could produce a group of Australian men who want to harm women.