Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really liked the supplice demo but much like Hedon I was kinda turned off by the enormous level. I generally like poo poo a little more bitesized. I'd played for 30 minutes and still wasn't quite a third of the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really liked the supplice demo but much like Hedon I was kinda turned off by the enormous level. I generally like poo poo a little more bitesized. I'd played for 30 minutes and still wasn't quite a third of the way through

I’m not saying this to be demeaning but a giant huge level with transformative triggers like clockwork going off as you explore is kind of the lead designer (Mechadon) for Supplice’s thing so it’s just gonna be more of that most likely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Name Change posted:

It looks fun and we're on the same page as a dev who thought Supplice was a good name, soooo

Is it based on the racist joke

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it based on the racist joke

Supplice? No.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/supplice

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anomalous good buy for 7 bucks?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Supplice is cool but I wish its Marathon influences didn’t extend to having timed switches where you can’t see what they do when you press them and have to gently caress around till you find out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah, the one in the first level i heard the door open but i wish it was visible, but then it was also apparently a secret room so i guess they didn't want it too obvious or something? i'll have to see what they do in the next levels

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That's the only one of those I found in the entire episode.

Though, I found the door it opens well before the switch (it's not hidden or anything), so I knew exactly what it was going to do when I pressed it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I figured out the one in the first level pretty easy because it had a 00 next to a door that didn't open, then I found a switch that turned the 00 next to it into a timer so I put two and two together. Though that could just be me being lucky I saw the locked door first.

Supplice is cool so far and the music is a bop, but too much so. I don't need to listen to a single bombastic track with bass lines and a sax solo for an entire 30-40 minutes. Well sometimes I do, but not when playing a fps.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Too many enemies, artificial difficulty

(A Supplice Steam user review)
project warlock was considered hard? i mean, maybe the first level, because you haven't gotten any upgrades yet....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There are too many enemies in this game! If only I had some kind of device for reducing the number of enemies

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

project warlock was considered hard? i mean, maybe the first level, because you haven't gotten any upgrades yet....

One of my biggest issues with PW was how easy it was, so hopefully not!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing supplice on hard and if anything it's too easy. There's health vials literally everywhere. There's so many. Tons of regular health packs too. Maybe too many, I never feel like I'm in any kind of danger.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of my biggest issues with PW was how easy it was, so hopefully not!
yea the first level is the only real hurdle and the rest was smooth sailing for me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

To reduce the number of enemies, shoot them until they die

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really liked the MW 2019 campaign. Wretched politics aside it had a fantastic sense of pacing and actual character shading.

Is there a single CoD game after the original Modern Warfare that doesn't have utterly wretched politics? They had a collection of Bush admin creeps and Pentagon brass signing off on the scripts last I heard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a single CoD game after the original Modern Warfare that doesn't have utterly wretched politics? They had a collection of Bush admin creeps and Pentagon brass signing off on the scripts last I heard.

Infinite Warfare takes place in a sci-fi universe completely divorced from reality. It’s still rah-rah jingoism but since none of the political entities actually exist it’s easier to take

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

The Black Ops games (ignoring the utterly boring future war stuff) always came off as being extremely satirical, but apparently I'm in the minority for interpreting them like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ponzicar posted:

The Black Ops games (ignoring the utterly boring future war stuff) always came off as being extremely satirical, but apparently I'm in the minority for interpreting them like that.

You don't hire Oliver North to be a consultant if you're writing satire.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm actually a few levels into an infinite warfare replay right now. That game kicks rear end, I wish they had made a sequel

The black ops games I played over the winter and 1 and 2 don't feel all that satirical to me, but I guess you can say 3 isn't so much satirical as it is just one long joke at the player's expense because of the hidden ending

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ponzicar posted:

I felt the first one was, but then the second one...

Arivia posted:

You don't hire Oliver North to be a consultant if you're writing satire.

really makes me question that. The ending feels so over the top and then hard cutting to implying your character is the actual JFK assassin felt like there was some tongue in cheek.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Which one has the big naval battle in new york bay

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
THE NUMBERS MASON WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN he screams as I try to solve Zork

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
God I love the big dumb CoD single players. All the things everyone describes makes me mad I've missed half of them because they're locked behind 40 dollar games I don't want to buy.

Personally I always took them as big and dumb in the fast and the furious way, where half the people making it look like they know it's stupid camp and the other half think there's more to it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which one has the big naval battle in new york bay

I want to say that's mw3

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ponzicar posted:

Yeah I can see that, Black Ops 1 ends with a big exaggerated Michael Bay moment with jets flying in between the bows of american destroyers that are like 500 meters tall and then segues into Nixon, Kennedy, McNamara, and Castro fighting zombies... it doesn't take itself seriously in the same way mainline CODs do.

site posted:

I want to say that's mw3
Yeah that's MW3 that started with fighting the Russians out of the NYSE and then hijacking one of their submarines in the harbor and using it to destroy their invading navy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGt5Onx0_I

The more interesting part of MW3 is that it involves the protagonists of MW2 getting hunted down and murdered by basically every military in concert even while WW3 rages since the climax of MW2 involved them, you know, hunting down and murdering an American general in Afghanistan

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 7, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Forgive Me Father 2 has been announced, alongside a console port of the original game. No dates yet for either, but it's officially A Thing Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPxUZthqn0

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

You might have played the single episode version of Oldfartenstein. Or not. Now get ready for 3 whole rear end episodes.

https://twitter.com/wolf3dnews/status/1643119981134217221

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First map of Supplice done, in 41 minutes. 6/9 secrets found.

Yeah it's fairly easy on 'Hard', but I guess as it doesn't have the NIghtmare equivalent, 'supplice' difficulty is the equivalent of UV, and therefore Hard is the equivalent of HMP.

Well, in any case, I recommend it. The music kick-rear end, the gameplay flows well, I like the items that increase your max cap (of health, ammo, or armor), the enemies are fun to gib and the weapons are fun to shoot. Also, the writing is surprisingly decent. The only complaint I have is the poor contrast on the first level, it's a bit dark and the color palette is very nice but enemies can be hard to see against the environment.

edit: It's a bit more difficult in map 2, with a pair of notably harder moments. I'm now missing my Gzdoom austosave mod, lol.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Kins posted:

Forgive Me Father 2 has been announced, alongside a console port of the original game. No dates yet for either, but it's officially A Thing Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPxUZthqn0

The original is on discount at the minute too. Anyone got any positive impressions? It sure looks nice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

skasion posted:

There are too many enemies in this game! If only I had some kind of device for reducing the number of enemies

If only you could shoot these creatures.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Turin Turambar posted:

First map of Supplice done, in 41 minutes. 6/9 secrets found.

Yeah it's fairly easy on 'Hard', but I guess as it doesn't have the NIghtmare equivalent, 'supplice' difficulty is the equivalent of UV, and therefore Hard is the equivalent of HMP.

Well, in any case, I recommend it. The music kick-rear end, the gameplay flows well, I like the items that increase your max cap (of health, ammo, or armor), the enemies are fun to gib and the weapons are fun to shoot. Also, the writing is surprisingly decent. The only complaint I have is the poor contrast on the first level, it's a bit dark and the color palette is very nice but enemies can be hard to see against the environment.

edit: It's a bit more difficult in map 2, with a pair of notably harder moments. I'm now missing my Gzdoom austosave mod, lol.

Agreed on all points, though I do find some of writing from your main contact to be a little overbearing. I zoned out a bit on the third message console when it went into about 5 pages of detail of where I'd be going and doing - show don't tell, guy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It doesn't have jump right? I certainly never found it in the demo (which I can't play anymore because the game's out lol)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It doesn't have jump right? I certainly never found it in the demo (which I can't play anymore because the game's out lol)

It doesn't have any, I checked it in controls.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Turin Turambar posted:

. I'm now missing my Gzdoom austosave mod, lol.

Can you link this for me? Supplice took levelinfo since it's just gz and I've been playing so many checkpoint games I'm having a hard time remembering to save

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Has anyone found a synapse terminal in map 1? I got one on every other map :(

Hey, I found it! Using automap cheats :v:

In a place I would never have thought to look. Even once I'd found it on the automap, I was like no, surely not, how would you even get there? And then of course I felt like an idiot once I worked it out.

In my defence, that area really does look like it's out of bounds.

I also note, running the listmaps command, there's a secret level?

Anyone know what map you access that from?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just finished the first two maps of Supplice. Gol' dang they're large. Not made up my mind on how I feel about permanent upgrades being behind secrets, but yeah, this is the closest I'm gonna get to Marathon 4 so lets do it, folks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

Can you link this for me? Supplice took levelinfo since it's just gz and I've been playing so many checkpoint games I'm having a hard time remembering to save

I think it was this one
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=59889

You will need to start a new game, you can't load a save file with different mod dependency.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I'm five maps into Supplice. Early maps feel like they were designed for jumping with the convenient crates dotted around, and the low ledges. Minor annoyances with some Plutonia-esque snipers and chaingunners wrecking my health. More than worth the price so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bumhead posted:

The original is on discount at the minute too. Anyone got any positive impressions? It sure looks nice.

I need to give the first one another shot. I found it kinda boring after about 15 mins.

Supplice looks great. I think single player FPS games are as popular as ever, it’s just that there are so many more options for people who play games.