Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gachiakuta just dropped a main antagonist right on the entire plot and things are escalating from there. It's never a good sign when a person doesn't even learn the name of someone they more than likely killed off-screen much less that people get more angry over other people dying rather than objects. I have a real good feeling about Typhon, he's going to be the fun kind of extremist and messed-up-morals villain. Especially since he and the MC have a common target for their aggression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Cipher Academy is fun right now. It's interesting to speculate about the cards. My first thought is that "club 49" could be the Ace of Clubs; since clubs are the lowest-ranked suit, it's the fifth-highest-ranked of the 53 cards. But counting in the other direction, it would be the Three of Clubs. The one about running to stay in place is obviously a reference to the Red Queen from Through the Looking Glass, who, contrary to popular belief, is a separate character from the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, so it must be the Queen of Diamonds. I don't have a good idea about any of the others yet.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 4, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Unsurprising, but still disappointing. I thought it was heading in a good direction, but as usual, too little too late:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1643480865807245313

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, both Ginka & Glüna and Tokyo Demon Bride did a grand finale in anticipation of their cancellation, but that didn't happen, so they began a new arc and THEN they got cancelled.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think G&G was doing a new arc as much as slamming out Ginka's backstory before it ended.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
MangaPlus added a series called Shibatarian and chapter 1 sure is...something

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It certainly is. :stare:

That being said, it left me curious enough that I will check out the next few chapters, if only to see what kind of series will this premise lead to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thanks to Tatsuki Fujimoto one shots my brain kept wanting to think it was going to be a heartwarming coming of age one shot about making movies.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
That was an excellent first chapter, not gonna lie. Definitely interested in seeing what's coming next.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Thanks to Tatsuki Fujimoto one shots my brain kept wanting to think it was going to be a heartwarming coming of age one shot about making movies.

I mean, the final direction isn't that far from Tatsuki Fujimoto stories.

(That said, I bet Dead Explosion Mother is the superior cinematic experience.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RubberLuffy posted:

MangaPlus added a series called Shibatarian and chapter 1 sure is...something

Pretty good. Looking forward to chapter 2 at least.

Read the Jigokuraku one shot. It was alright. Having actually read Jigokuraku I was kind of confused though.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hypocrisy posted:

Pretty good. Looking forward to chapter 2 at least.

Read the Jigokuraku one shot. It was alright. Having actually read Jigokuraku I was kind of confused though.

I really liked the one-shot, didn't think there was much to be confused about. Gabimaru just went on a little journey to learn how to farm, for his wife. I also thought the sole fight scene was really neat and well done. Cute overall.

Fair warning to anyone experiencing the story for the first time via anime, it's an epilogue and takes place after the series' end.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New Yuji Kaku one-shot is up.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/hells-paradise-jigokuraku-side-story-forest-of-misfortune-chapter-1/chapter/37689

Just realized Jigokuraku is on Jump, just not in the app. So I'm gonna read that next, because I really enjoyed this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah it has too much nudity to be on the app since they have to deal with app store regulations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I really liked the one-shot, didn't think there was much to be confused about. Gabimaru just went on a little journey to learn how to farm, for his wife. I also thought the sole fight scene was really neat and well done. Cute overall.
I liked it too, a nice little victory lap for the series and a good blend of humor and action.

:allears: I missed this man like you wouldn't believe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently a Mashie anime started today, how is it out of curiosity?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
First episode was 1:1 with the first chapter, I liked it well enough. The gags in the fight at the end could have been done a bit better though.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's being done by Aniplex so just pray it doesn't disintegrate halfway through the season.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cute hell’s paradise epilogue chapter and it’s a heartwarming touch that gabimaru found the gourd they grew legitimately delicious, as opposed to play-acting for his wife’s sake :unsmith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle's ED is just wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUY9dMkpBAI

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gachiakuta has some of the best absolutely unhinged faces. Cool series. Surprised more folks here haven’t been talking about it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I couldn't with that series after it introduces A rape victim villain, attempts to redeem her and then promptly murders her.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Well, it least it fits the show.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

I liked it too, a nice little victory lap for the series and a good blend of humor and action.

:allears: I missed this man like you wouldn't believe.

*bworp*

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Something I don’t get about this week’s Fabricant 100. Did Mortsafe figure out the 5 percent survival rate through deliberate trial and error? If so, they’re no better than the Fabricants. And how did they defeat 99 to get the core to begin with? Did they have some people who’d been struck by lightning?

The obvious explanation here is that 99 was zapping people while he was alive, I guess, and Mortsafe started as a group of people who survived being zapped seeking revenge against 99, basically.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
They just tried 10 recruits and only half a guy survived.

This chapter felt a bit weird? It was much more light and comedic in tone than usual

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Something I don’t get about this week’s Fabricant 100. Did Mortsafe figure out the 5 percent survival rate through deliberate trial and error? If so, they’re no better than the Fabricants. And how did they defeat 99 to get the core to begin with? Did they have some people who’d been struck by lightning?

The obvious explanation here is that 99 was zapping people while he was alive, I guess, and Mortsafe started as a group of people who survived being zapped seeking revenge against 99, basically.

From what they said they usually tell people about the risk but 100 would have freaked out if they did.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

From what they said they usually tell people about the risk but 100 would have freaked out if they did.

So um, what exactly were they planning to do on the off chance that Ashibi died and they would have an extremely pissed off 100 right in the middle of their base and next to the McGufffin they need for their special powers?

That being side, I like the two new characters and their interactions with Ashibi/100.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Tenmaku Cinema already feels doomed to fail

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably not fair to the work, but when i saw it was a manga about movies i immediately thought someone's trying to ride fujimoto's coattails

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
G&G ended on a note that I figured it was gonna end, though I thought it'd be more like "If you've lost your memories let's create new ones" and less "Let's actually recover your memories by travelling together."

Sad to see it go but at least it ended on a clear, open-ended note.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Tenmaku Cinema already feels doomed to fail

I've been surprised before, but yeah. It does seem to have the odds against. There isn't a strong hook (like Akane's vengeance for her father, or Taki and Chinatsu living together) to get the reader to invest beyond the basic premise for the early establishing chapters, there isn't an in-depth examination of films in a way to get the reader to love them like the characters, and Jump's just had a lot of bad luck anyway besides.

We just talked about Shibatarian suffering from being in Fujimoto's shadow, and that's a manga with a lot of unique, interesting things going on already. This has it worse, since there's not anything but the movie stuff

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

So um, what exactly were they planning to do on the off chance that Ashibi died and they would have an extremely pissed off 100 right in the middle of their base and next to the McGufffin they need for their special powers?

That being side, I like the two new characters and their interactions with Ashibi/100.

I think she assumed that since Ashibi already had low-level regeneration, he was guaranteed to survive. It strikes me as a risky enough assumption that it’s a pretty questionable decision, but maybe Mortsafe understands the scientific principles in enough detail that they could be genuinely confident of this, even if they couldn’t explain it in layman’s terms in a way that would be sufficiently reassuring to 100.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

100 is kind of the situation they have to make some gambles on because either she's going to work with them or she's going to end up their enemy and Ashibi is going to need to survive for the latter to be avoided as long as reasonably possible. It's a risk but it doesn't sound like anything about fighting Fabricants isn't.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Given their behavior so far, I imagine the head of the organization would be fine with either outcome: either Ashibi and 100 become more valuable assets or they have some excuse to get rid of 100 right then and there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

started skimming like halfway through the first chapter of this new movie series. premise reminds me a bit of hikaru no go except uninteresting

it'll probably be given more ch than a new author would get but I have low expectations

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I've been surprised before, but yeah. It does seem to have the odds against. There isn't a strong hook (like Akane's vengeance for her father, or Taki and Chinatsu living together) to get the reader to invest beyond the basic premise for the early establishing chapters, there isn't an in-depth examination of films in a way to get the reader to love them like the characters, and Jump's just had a lot of bad luck anyway besides.

We just talked about Shibatarian suffering from being in Fujimoto's shadow, and that's a manga with a lot of unique, interesting things going on already. This has it worse, since there's not anything but the movie stuff

Yeah, the premise is really weak, and I think between Akane-banashi, Show-ha Shoten!, Beat & Motion, and now Shibatarian all revolving around forms of entertainment (for various reasons), this series is going to get lost between them unless it just nails its next few chapters. The knockoff Hikaru no Go concept isn't doing it any favors, either; the ghost isn't even a forgotten talent from the start of the Japanese movie industry (which might have made for a good history lesson for readers), he's a kid who died thirty years ago who might have been close to breaking in, which... okay, I guess?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shibatarian is cool but I am skeptic it can go much longer on Jump... it definitely belongs on another kind of mag.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SpacePig posted:

New Yuji Kaku one-shot is up.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/hells-paradise-jigokuraku-side-story-forest-of-misfortune-chapter-1/chapter/37689

Just realized Jigokuraku is on Jump, just not in the app. So I'm gonna read that next, because I really enjoyed this.

Not in every region unfortunately. In Canada at least it's not available on the site. Is there anyway around that besides a VPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RatHat posted:

Not in every region unfortunately. In Canada at least it's not available on the site. Is there anyway around that besides a VPN?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016542

edit: I'm in Canada and that VIZ link works for me but whatever try this one