Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Did a big ol' catch up this week because I forgot the new series was out. I'll put everything in spoilers just in case.

It's funny watching the first season again I made a comment to my partner about how there were a number of background characters who just got zero screen time and no audio. Then this season we suddenly see a few more faces and hear some new voices. They're 100% dying.

The teenage storyline is clearly the better one for a couple of reasons. Firstly spooky spirit ghost wood poo poo is fun. Secondly cannibalism. Thirdly they're less loving dumb. You are an adult Shauna, you've seen the TV. Don't just loosely burn the ID and then leave it there without even checking it??

On the cannibalism I'm glad we're "there" now because I was concerned after the first season they'd just dance around it. There was too much "what did you do?" "we scavenged I guess..." in the first season and I thought they might never actually show it. But my god they are.

And finally on the spirit poo poo I can still totally lean into this all being shared delusions/hunger/fear/loving trauma. I know the bear fire thing was relitigated recently but that's the only thing we've seen that's definitely odd and we saw in this episode that there's a bit of unreliable narrator going on. My current theory is this:

The symbol is whatever, an Indigenous thing or a hunters thing or just a random symbol that appears in the woods. There might be something in where it's been seen - the cliff, can't remember where else - indicating some sort of danger? Wouldn't be hard for that to have a rational explanation.

Lotti is schizophrenic. We know this from early on. She has delusions because she hasn't had her pills. So far the only thing she's actually really predicted is the bear (and again, been talked about recently but could have been poisoned or drugged or whatever) and she could have seen that earlier or something and not told anyone. She sees the symbols before she leaves, decides it's all part of a Plan and starts her cult.

Travis is traumatised by the (apparent) loss of his brother and kills himself trying to work through the delusions. As hunger and fear and cannibalism grips the rest of them, they share in the delusion more.

That all being said, I hope we don't find out what's happening. The mystery is the fun part. Everything could go either way.

Oh, and I'm glad we heard at the start of the episode that they were 600m (I think?) north of their supposed course. My problem with the first season was that I thought they could have just walked for a couple of days (especially with the bear meat) and found a road and a town. If they truly are in gently caress off nowhere Canada I'll give them a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The writers have said a few times that they want to keep all supernatural possibilities matters of interpretation. They could be lying or they could just mean that some characters will refuse to acknowledge the obvious presence of a spirit encouraging them all to be cannibals.

I’ll be interested to know if that hallway with all the candles that Lottie starts seeing in the first season ends up being a real place somewhere.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
For all we know the girls in 1996 could be 10 miles from a town. Unfortunately for them, in rugged enough mountain terrain 10 miles away as the crow flies might as well be on the surface of the moon.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I hope adult Shauna starts seeing Jackie again.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

UltraShame posted:

For all we know the girls in 1996 could be 10 miles from a town. Unfortunately for them, in rugged enough mountain terrain 10 miles away as the crow flies might as well be on the surface of the moon.

It actually kind of happened to the Andes Rugby Cannibals, they were somewhat close to an abandoned hotel with good stone walls, warm springs and a gravel road to civilization but never found it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

UltraShame posted:

In the show it doesn't look like the terrain is too bad. I actually looked around some maps last season and there aren't that many places where they'd be more than a day or two away from a town or a road. Obviously not doable in the winter of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuNP98niHw

All I could think of this week.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
do we know how the girls ended up being rescued? I can't remember if we've seen that, like were they found or did they eventually find civilisation somewhere

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

do we know how the girls ended up being rescued? I can't remember if we've seen that, like were they found or did they eventually find civilisation somewhere

I don't think we know how they get rescued.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The closest we've seen was some sort of press event or whatever when the survivors made it back, iirc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The more I think about it the less I like the way they did the end to this week's episode.

I mean, I had an immediate knee jerk because it was basically a music video with the way it was lit and shot (and cut to music, duh). But you also had a bunch of highly dramatic shots of people crossing or not crossing a threshold, or that shot of Jackie's perfectly roasted corpse -- what happened to all that plastic in her clothing? -- while people sucked the poo poo out of her months old rotten guts.

You're obviously not meant to think about stuff like that, but when the sequence is so over determined you can hardly not.

And the Greco-Roman thing is a complete non-sequitur. It was completely camp.

But I was already laughing at the corpse make-up drama earlier in the episode, so perhaps I'm a bit screwy. About which -- how funny was that meant to be? Because Taissa literally going into tears over it was hilarious. I've seen the episode twice now and it just cracked me up each time.

mobby_6kl posted:

The closest we've seen was some sort of press event or whatever when the survivors made it back, iirc

The sequence with Lottie during the season premier, right?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Javi walks out imo

The perfect Jackie roast was magic

Taissa is a natural politician so she used the makeup to get what she wanted

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a pretty overt absurdist black comedy show I think. Everyone just being so overwhelmed by how good this loving corpse smelled due to an absolutely ludicrous Rube Goldberg-esque twist of fate, and they're juxtaposing the cannibalism with a Roman feast. It's super campy, but I personally think it works because of how dark the circumstances actually are. It's a real fun dichotomy - if it was filmed more like a normal prestige drama it would just be super dour and depressing, and that's definitely not what the show is going for. I'd compare it to a Ryan Murphy show, but I really think that dynamic works better here than in most of his productions.

Edit: Few other shows could pull off a scene like Jeff going to rock out to Papa Roach in his car after loving his wife while trying to cover up a murder.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 6, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Javi walks out imo

Oh poo poo, that's a good explanation. The kid just wanders south for two straight years and he sends the rescue team while everyone else has fully submitted to the worship of a strangely shaped hillock.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

hawowanlawow posted:

Javi walks out imo

This is perfect and would give us another adult survivor. Please be right.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Javi being alive would be a great twist but unfortunately Travis's storyline suggests that's not the case (unless Lotti is lying... which yeah she totally could be).

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The family ring is obviously a setup for identifying his corpse later.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Or for them to think it's his corpse, but they just stole the ring off him

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the woods allowed Javi to leave because Shauna is the one who told him to run and she is The Bad One in cahoots with it

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Cannot wait to see how Misty deals with Walter: doxxing her, infiltrating her work with what I'm assuming is a rent-a-gran, leaving notes on her food. She will either be very aroused or very angry. Or both at the same time.

I repeat, a second little loving freak has hit the yellowjackets.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

UltraShame posted:

Cannot wait to see how Misty deals with Walter: doxxing her, infiltrating her work with what I'm assuming is a rent-a-gran, leaving notes on her food. She will either be very aroused or very angry. Or both at the same time.

I repeat, a second little loving freak has hit the yellowjackets.

She's going to kill him like she killed the rat in S1E1

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've been splicing together a fan video/song for this dumb show that I love, and I just noticed that in the intro Jackie does the "cut across throat" motion indicating death

It was there all along!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Javi being alive would be a great twist but unfortunately Travis's storyline suggests that's not the case (unless Lotti is lying... which yeah she totally could be).

At best she believes Javi is dead because she just can't know and that's the reasonable assumption everyone makes.

at worst: She killed him long ago same night he tried to run

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Well today's episode swings us back the other way on the "Paranormal-Psychosis" meter. (I actually don't know when these episodes come out because of :filez: but I'm assuming it was today)

I'm still finding the adult storylines a bit tedious. I don't care about Shauna's hosed up marriage any more. Whatever Lotti's weird cult thing is doing needs a big payoff to be worthwhile. I was kind of hoping they'd be based where the original cabin was (big lake nearby, cabins, woods miles from anywhere...) but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Misty running around doing detective poo poo is a bit lame when we know the mystery (or at least part of it). Taissa is disassociating but... why does this matter? Just all a bit meh.

On the other side, looks like Coach isn't long for this world. Hallucinations like that are probably not a good thing, and he didn't eat any of Jackie, so you have to assume he'll be dead soon and become the next BBQ party.

Nat is aware of what the poo poo they're in and isn't buying into Lotti's nonsense. She's probably going to find herself ostracised sooner rather than later.

And was... was that Javi in the next episode's trailer? In a bunker?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I thought the dripping sound was coach bleeding out from suicide but I think that’s what will happen eventually. Wonder what it was from then or if I missed something. I also wonder if Misty getting pulled into Lottie’s crazy beliefs is what gets her to solve/debunk mysteries as an adult.

I watched it earlier today because I have paramount +.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

KIT HAGS posted:

I thought the dripping sound was coach bleeding out from suicide but I think that’s what will happen eventually. Wonder what it was from then or if I missed something. I also wonder if Misty getting pulled into Lottie’s crazy beliefs is what gets her to solve/debunk mysteries as an adult.

I watched it earlier today because I have paramount +.

Wasn't it the birds hitting the cabin? Unless I'm misremembering I thought they heard the noise, then ran outside, saw the birds?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I could have sworn the dripping happened when they were making things for the baby shower and the birds happened during the baby shower .

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big “this show is going to be slow as poo poo forever” episode

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What I appreciated in season 1 was that while they held off on the big mysteries, smaller stuff paid off sooner. This season feels like they decided to slow things waaay down.

I did appreciate something about ep 3, though: Shauna's speech to the car thieves. I was a nice reminder of what made this show special in the first place. This wasn't an "alive" situation where people begrudgingly became cannibals out of desperation. That first scene hinted at both a ceremonial aspect and a bit of glee in the deed. So this latest scene was a nice reminder of that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Escobarbarian posted:

Yuuuup.

Not liking this season as much.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don’t get how they can stretch this to 5 seasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I don’t get how they can stretch this to 5 seasons.

Time travel

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I disagree bigly that the show is slow at all but I do agree that 5 season seems wild unless they have some huge paradigm shift planned.

I think a tight 2 or 3 at most is how they should have planned it (especially considering the teen actors aging) unless some wild stuff starts happening in the present day with unnamed survivors, and I dunno if that would be good for the overall show.

Anyway liked ep 3 good work show keep it up.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i can easily see this show wrapping up the teen cannibalism drama and building the adult storyline somewhat like IT chapters 1 and 2. Still really enjoying this show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

The preview for next weeks looked dull too.

In all honesty, the pilot was amazing and everything since just hasn’t hit the highs and it’s a real shame.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Poor Coach Ben. I’m still holding out hope that it’s a fakeout and he still survives but… it looks dire.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

KIT HAGS posted:

I could have sworn the dripping happened when they were making things for the baby shower and the birds happened during the baby shower .

The dripping water was just that one girl during the making of baby shower presents. The birds happened after Shauna got blood on the spoopy symbol.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I keep hearing that the show's creators are trying to keep the supernatural stuff "ambiguous" but it's getting more and more ridiculous each episode lol.

Didn't know they planned to go 5 seasons. It's already getting pretty goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Lost was what 7 seasons? They got off the island and then returned to it.

Season 4 of Yellowjackets, the adult survivors all fly a plane back into the forest and get lost until the end of season 5.