Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had to enable a cargo drop raid nerf mod because I’m absolutely sick of dudes dropping in the dead center of my base killing everyone and lighting things on fire.

I absolutely play with all the carebear settings turned on as it is, but man that sort of raid feels the most cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The only time I've had a drop raid hit my base center was into my rec room

While everyone was there celebrating a wedding and outnumbered them 3:1 while in a melee focused colony. :derp:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kitfox88 posted:

While everyone was there celebrating a wedding and outnumbered them 3:1 while in a melee focused colony. :derp:

"Pinatas! Oh, you shouldn't have."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

How excellent, I love imagining how that went.

Drop pod raids feel suicidal, way more than other kinds of raids. Like these dudes know they're not going home

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

buglord posted:

I had to enable a cargo drop raid nerf mod because I’m absolutely sick of dudes dropping in the dead center of my base killing everyone and lighting things on fire.

I absolutely play with all the carebear settings turned on as it is, but man that sort of raid feels the most cheap.

Drop pod raids usually (but not always) land on an orbital trade beacon you have sitting outdoors, if you want to set up a kill box for it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

"Pinatas! Oh, you shouldn't have."

QuarkJets posted:

How excellent, I love imagining how that went.

Drop pod raids feel suicidal, way more than other kinds of raids. Like these dudes know they're not going home

I was a little worried cause I had two tykes in there crawling around but two of my nonviolent pawns took em and ran thankfully. After that, well, :gibs:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Rimatomics, I think, has a powered defensive structure that detects an incoming drop pod raid, fires a pulse that does nothing on the map but take a chunk of energy, and disrupts incoming drop pod raids to force them towards the outer edges of the map. Not that power is really a problem once you get RimAtomics running steady-state. Just don't ever let your reactor get cut off or damaged. That ends poorly for everyone involved.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Edit: never mind, wrong thread.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Rimatomics, I think, has a powered defensive structure that detects an incoming drop pod raid, fires a pulse that does nothing on the map but take a chunk of energy, and disrupts incoming drop pod raids to force them towards the outer edges of the map. Not that power is really a problem once you get RimAtomics running steady-state. Just don't ever let your reactor get cut off or damaged. That ends poorly for everyone involved.

It does, and I found out in my current run that you have to have sufficient power stored in batteries for it to function. I did not and had a huge raid drop right into my base on accident.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Factions Expanded Ancients has Ancient Turrets which are also capable of taking down droppods.

If you want the massive overpowered version, try the Brrrrrt (spelling?) Turret mod. If you go that route, I also recommend the retexture for it and the ground turret mod so you can hide it when not needed.

Also be advised it will likely kill your colonists in its enthusiasm to shoot literally anything even remotely hostile. So if you don't use the ground turret mod, you may atleast want to set the turret to hold fire so you can manually check its field of fire. Can't make it too easy?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How do people turn off the "fog of war" (or whatever it's called) to check if there are big open areas in mountain seeds? I know I've seen people do it but I don't know if it's a command in dev mode or a mod or what. I'm sick of embarking on neat-looking mountain tiles only to dig into a completely open section of map.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

How do people turn off the "fog of war" (or whatever it's called) to check if there are big open areas in mountain seeds? I know I've seen people do it but I don't know if it's a command in dev mode or a mod or what. I'm sick of embarking on neat-looking mountain tiles only to dig into a completely open section of map.

equip a melee weapon then set them to attack. the mouse cursor will change over open areas. Something like that the last time I played.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
You could probably call this a cheat, but I highly recommend map preview mod for new games or relocating colonies https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2800857642

While you're at it pick up geological landforms https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2773943594 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-C341PbwCU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
you can also just check with dev tools, it's in display options, I think the third button from the left
save before you do it, and then just reload your save; there's a "technically correct" way to refog the map with dev tools (multiple steps) but reloading is simplest and safest

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

You could probably call this a cheat, but I highly recommend map preview mod for new games or relocating colonies https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2800857642

yeah this is very good and I'm pretty sure it will show you voids inside of mountained areas. it also integrates with Map Designer, and it has a map reroll built into it IIRC that obsoletes the original Map Reroll mod

Map Designer: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2111424996

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 7, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bird food bathtub posted:

Once had a drop pod raid land exactly on top of and destroy my coolant pipes while I had the largest breeder reactor model running at full capacity to churn out plutonium. It wasn't the first time I had a reactor lose cooling, and I even tested that deliberately to see if the auto-scram worked properly, but that was for the smallest reactor model, which would scram just fine. In this case the auto-scram didn't trigger even as the temperature got dangerously high, but I happened to have a non-violent pawn close to the reactor controls when I noticed cooling was down, so I'd sent them to operate the console just in case, and they managed to get there and slam the manual scram button before a meltdown happened.

Unfortunately the high temperature caused the control rods to jam when inserting them back, so in the end the raiders ended up being the least of my problems during this whole debacle.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The latest experimental build removes pawns losing their assigned bed/places due to joining a caravan or otherwise leaving the map.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Omnicarus posted:

The latest experimental build removes pawns losing their assigned bed/places due to joining a caravan or otherwise leaving the map.

That bug has been driving me up the wall. Is there any workaround for it now or nah? I don’t wanna bork my game in progress and the mods tied to it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
It seems to only happen if they are assigned a bed on another map tile. I avoid assigning sleep spots like the plague because it's so annoying. Sometimes I just let them crash on the floor if the thing in doing only needs a single night's rest.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

buglord posted:

That bug has been driving me up the wall. Is there any workaround for it now or nah? I don’t wanna bork my game in progress and the mods tied to it.

I was going to tell you to use Keep Bed Ownership but it looks like it doesn't work with this version.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is there a mod that will actually just remove the concept of bed ownership in a barracks? Basically I want a situation where when a pawn wants to sleep, they just... claim a bed, no particular attachment to one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It's weird there's no mod for hotbunking yeah

isndl
May 2, 2012

Xenix posted:

It seems to only happen if they are assigned a bed on another map tile. I avoid assigning sleep spots like the plague because it's so annoying. Sometimes I just let them crash on the floor if the thing in doing only needs a single night's rest.

Sleeping spots are still crashing on the floor. :v:

Rough Living precept removes the mood penalty for sleeping on the ground though, which is another reason Pain is Virtue is the best meme in the game.

buglord posted:

Use Bedrolls was also supposed to remember bed assignments but it appears to also have been broken based on the comments.

death cob for cutie posted:

Is there a mod that will actually just remove the concept of bed ownership in a barracks? Basically I want a situation where when a pawn wants to sleep, they just... claim a bed, no particular attachment to one.

I've had this thought in the past too, yeah. In theory it shouldn't be too hard either, medical beds are essentially a hotbunk system.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pain is Virtue is genuinely super OP, yeah

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

It's weird there's no mod for hotbunking yeah

And do this with double beds you have a swinger colony.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

lobsterminator posted:

And do this with double beds you have a swinger colony.

there is a mod for that at least
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2572109781

I did find an automated bed assignment mod, however, which should maybe function somewhat like hotbunks.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2404555784

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 12, 2023

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
This is the first game in which I've made a lot of use of psychic animal pulsers, and, uh, wow :stare:

Drop pod raid scattered over the map? Get everyone inside the walls and push the button. And maybe a few attackers will survive after the wild animals fall asleep, to not only make up for the cost of the pulser, but turn a nice profit!

isndl
May 2, 2012

Lysidas posted:

This is the first game in which I've made a lot of use of psychic animal pulsers, and, uh, wow :stare:

Drop pod raid scattered over the map? Get everyone inside the walls and push the button. And maybe a few attackers will survive after the wild animals fall asleep, to not only make up for the cost of the pulser, but turn a nice profit!

Manhunters also aggro on mechanoid clusters, making for a very cheap way to clean those up. And any survivors will come to your base as free meat!

I feel like psychic rods need a buff now that they got nerfed against mech bosses. They're a little pricy for only two zaps.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Now I'm thinking of the More Ritual Rewards mod allowing you to summon venerated animals, and bringing a Thrumbo to your map just to beserk it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I don't remember if venerated animals dying on your map makes your colonists sad even if they're not the ones that kill them. If so that's a bit of a drawback.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nothing a bit of space cocaine can’t fix

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I had to reload a save once because Phoebe Chillax thought something like 20 manhunting cats would be something I’d be interested in handling. My colony doesn’t venerate cats but i sure do :catstare:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do hate the manhunter pack events because I feel really bad killing 90 golden retrievers or whatever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

think of it as saving about fifteen golden retrievers

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

buglord posted:

I had to reload a save once because Phoebe Chillax thought something like 20 manhunting cats would be something I’d be interested in handling. My colony doesn’t venerate cats but i sure do :catstare:

you can just close the curtains and vigorously ignore them and eventually they'll leave, but they'll aggro on any trade caravans that stop by

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, I got a global warming event and that is so brutal, turned my moderately cold environment into a 152F hell on earth for several years. Forced me to move my entire group into a hastily constructed mountain bunker where they survived entirely on mushrooms, warthogs (because they can graze on cave moss), and infestations. Said infestation quickly turned into “we’re not stuck in here with you, you’re stuck in here with us” as my colonist were completely desperate for any meat they can get their hands on.

Almost made me consider uprooting the entire group on a mass exodus to find a new safe location.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Purposefully melting toxic waste to summon more delivery food.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kitfox88 posted:

Purposefully melting toxic waste to summon more delivery food.

I'm pretty sure at least one of my mechanitor runs had cannibalism okay and chopped up the "angry about pollution being fired at them" raids for meat.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I started an ice sheet game because I heard the lack of wild animals or plants is good for FPS and I wanted to play around with a bunch of mods with pipe networks.

I'm not playing it for the difficulty, so I had an overpowered psycaster with Vanilla Psycaster Expanded, and not even that can conjure food out of fresh air - even if you can instantly grow plants to maturity, that doesn't help if it's too cold to sow the drat things.

I've got a couple of greenhouses now, but it's not been a zero-cannibalism run, people with paralytic abasia kept falling from the sky so I had a lot of mouths to feed and some of them ate raw raider.

Edit: also, vanilla chemfuel expanded with vanilla settlers expanded meant I was trying to combat freezing temperatures with a huge boiler without a thermostat - my poor paralysed colonists caught heatstroke until I opened a vent, then they had subzero temperatures to cool down in.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 12, 2023

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Tesla was right posted:

my poor paralysed colonists caught heatstroke until I opened a vent, then they had subzero temperatures to cool down in.

There has to be a mood that allows you to set vents to open at a certain temp and close at another, right? The way backup power works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Signal posted:

There has to be a mood that allows you to set vents to open at a certain temp and close at another, right? The way backup power works?

there's a mod called Programmable Vents on the workshop which I haven't used in a long time but it looks like it's still being updated?