Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Is there a decent brand of seat cover that doesn't look like a pillowcase?

My Spark's driver's side seat has the beginnings of a tear, thanks to the previous owner probably having a pocket clip on their jeans or something. I'd like to cover it up before it gets any worse. But shopping for seat covers is an exercise in Chinese made poo poo priced between a cup of coffee to brand new loving actual seats.

I don't even need a full seat cover, just the butt cushion would work.

Wet Okole seat covers are awesome, I have them on my car.

https://www.wetokole.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

It's a ford. There are parts for it at every corner parts store. There is no problem at all finding anything other than body sheet metal.

Noooooooope. 89 Mazda trucks were still pure Mazda. They weren't Ranger knockoffs until the B2300 - which came out in 1994. Before then they were pure Mazda, not an inch of Ford in them.

And the B2200 is absolutely a pain to find parts for now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:piss:

Thats fuckin expensive! 360 bucks for my Corolla front seats.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

:piss:

Thats fuckin expensive! 360 bucks for my Corolla front seats.

Custom fit tho, you can't even tell they are seat covers and they last forever, great investment if you plan on keeping your car a long time

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was mostly curious since a guy from the US I know, sold his 1989 Mazda pickup because getting parts for it was getting to be a hassle, he claimed. Which made me wonder if that's a common thing, or if Mazda pickups where rare where he was or if it's just the breaks when dealing with older cars. I've been keeping an eye open since last year for an 80s or early 90s Japanese pickup as well as a project car so it made me think if that was gonna be a think. I'd like a toyota though and those where made in large numbers.

I did run across this sweet Mazda B2200 just now however:

I'm currently in the very paused process of bringing a 90 civic back to life as a track car and hoo boy I was not expecting this level of its just gone for parts.

Hmotorsonline does not list any b series engine for sale except the b20 for a crv. No front end conversions, no rear disc swaps.

I can't easily find an oem obd1 distributor.

Rear disc spindles are just gone. I had a friend professionally 3d scan and make models for me so I can machine my own. If I didn't have that friend and work in a machine shop it would be $$$$ and then $$$$.

Other bits are easy. Aftermarket suspension, engine bits, brakes, bushings etc are in stock. I imagine this will go down as fewer and fewer exist.

I'm half tempted to say gently caress it, buy a newer miata as the track car, and find a clean civic to put all these bits on as a historic street car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Miata are going to be the new $50k 1983 Porsche 911 in 15 years mark my words

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Too bad I'm leaving rural NC these would have been sweet

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Miata are going to be the new $50k 1983 Porsche 911 in 15 years mark my words

Too bad I'm leaving rural NC these would have been sweet

You're probably right.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ok Comboomer posted:

My parents have a 97 VW Cabrio that was in cosmetically very good shape when it was moved outside in 2010.

However- the passenger side door has a seriously bad case of rust cancer. This was my main sore spot in college/etc, because I remember pointing it out like a decade ago when it was a small spot on the inner lip and my dad kept telling me he wasn’t worried about it. Now the whole corner is as brittle as a nacho chip.

Assuming that the whole car probably has a few rust spots I’m not fully aware of that need addressing for longevity’s sake but is otherwise in as good shape as I hope, how reasonable is it going to be to repair this door?

Here's one on eBay for under $500 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1126807734...41fec89e1a4ef9a

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only reason I can fathom why a "truck" would have better parts availability than a "car" is because the big three left the underpinnings of each of their trucks alone for the better part of decades at a time. It's entirely demand-based, and when the same single part number for a set of front brake pads covers literally thirty years of GM products, you're still going to have no problem finding those.

A pre-Ford B-series I would still expect to be able to find the most routine maintenance items in stock at nearly any parts store, and less common replacements available in-town for same/next day availability. If OP's friend claimed parts availability is the issue, either a) they live two weeks from everywhere, or b) they really mean aftermarket modifications, and I would expect the pickings for that truck to be pretty slim if you can't hop in a time machine and call up some vendors from Minitruckin' Magazine 20 years ago.

TBH it might be a self-justification because they are tired of driving the same car since 2000.

e: Or not as I read on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

honda whisperer posted:

I'm currently in the very paused process of bringing a 90 civic back to life as a track car and hoo boy I was not expecting this level of its just gone for parts.

Hmotorsonline does not list any b series engine for sale except the b20 for a crv. No front end conversions, no rear disc swaps.

I can't easily find an oem obd1 distributor.

Rear disc spindles are just gone. I had a friend professionally 3d scan and make models for me so I can machine my own. If I didn't have that friend and work in a machine shop it would be $$$$ and then $$$$.

Other bits are easy. Aftermarket suspension, engine bits, brakes, bushings etc are in stock. I imagine this will go down as fewer and fewer exist.

I'm half tempted to say gently caress it, buy a newer miata as the track car, and find a clean civic to put all these bits on as a historic street car.

Yeah it's kinda this I am afraid of too. I think buying a Hilux (Toyotas pickup) would mitigate it as it's such an insanely popular model. Mazdas seem nowhere as common. I do have a lathe and mill and poo poo so I am better off than most.

I also like the old Datsuns but I am believe they would be even harder to find parts for, but OTOH, I tend to see a lot of them for sale, under the name of Nissan king cab as they get more modern.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 4, 2023

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Anyone have experience with door edge trim/protectors?

I hosed up my new car by letting the driver's door open freely under spring pressure and the tip of the door rubbed against the housing of my other car's side mirrors. After getting in, I noticed a new paint mark on the mirror housing that happened to be the same color as my new car. It's very minute and you have to look for it but it looks like it went down rather deep down to the primer and maybe metal. :negative:

I still have some black touch up paint that I can cover and hopefully seal it with but I'm thinking of installing edge trim (something opaque or black to hide the mismatched touch up) to prevent that from happening again. Anything I should look out for?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 4, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol i did exactly that on a 1-series in a very similar color, fortunately passenger side

a trim bumper is gonna be a decent bet, i hit mine with touchup but it never quite looked right. it was definitely a ten footer at best.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Feel like I'm 5 minutes away from calling this guy who is almost my neighbor and buying his '89 L200 4x4 for a measly €1600, thing passed MOT and is road legal until 10/2023. Thing that's stopping me is.. well the price. What's wrong with it?

I'm sorry if this isn't the "I shouldn't be buying a car but I can't stop looking at ads and I need moral support" thread.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Are parts easy to come by for them? If so, :getin: They're pretty hard to find here, but Mitsubishi pulled out of the US truck market around 1994 (came back briefly in the late 2000s, but it was built by Dodge and based on the Dakota).

Friend had the US version of that (Mighty Max, but essentially the same truck), 91 I think - we had tons of fun in the sand dunes in far west TX/southeast NM with it. That thing took stupid amounts of abuse. Not sure which engine was in it - I think the 2.4 petrol was the base engine for 91 here, so probably that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mobby_6kl posted:

So I got a stupid idea while chilling on probation yesterday. Doing an engine swap on an old :ussr: car that my dad used to own. It came with a neat aircooled V4 rwd setup, but sadly had the service intervals of a motorcycle due to lovely materials and machining quality.

I thought dropping in a modern-ish FWD 3-cyl might work, but thankfully there's a cutaway photo online and it seems that the axles are way too forward for any FWD transmission to reach. Does anything non-exotic come to mind that could work?

Probably not something I'd actually do but it's now bothering me :D

Motor and trans from a literbike, chain drive to axles, get someone to push you backwards out of parking spaces.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Honda Gold Wing powertrain

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Should I expect any weirdness from a dealership if I'm trading in a car worth more than the one I'm buying?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

phosdex posted:

Should I expect any weirdness from a dealership if I'm trading in a car worth more than the one I'm buying?

I would expect them to try to screw you over, not really weird but standard practice

Sell it outright if you can or sell it to Carvana

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I thought I could negate all the sales tax, but I looked it up and in NM I guess it's max 5k.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'm looking at a couple current-gen gas-powered Mustangs. Here's what's on my radar at the moment:

A 2019 Ecoboost 100A with 23k miles, coming in at $25k from my local CarMax.

A 2017 GT Premium with 43k miles, for $33k from an oddly well-reguarded local dealer.

Just doing a factory order for a 2024 Ecoboost with a 101A package for ~$32k.

Some questions for y'all:

1. I like the idea of Sync3 and Apple Car Play, but I'm not sure it's worth paying a big premium. Without a custom order Ecoboost 101As seem hard to find and tend to carry a $3-5k premium. If I were to buy a standard Ecoboost, is it easy/cheap/possible to do an aftermarket upgrade to something that can run Apple Car Play?

2. Are there any obvious dangers to the GTs or Ecoboosts in this generation? I had a 2017 V6 for a year or two and loved it, and had the Ecoboost engine in a Focus RS for a bit. I like the idea of a V8 just for the aesthetics but that $33k for a low-ish mileage 2017 scares me a bit, even if the CarFax is clean.

3. Anything else I should be thinking about that I haven't asked?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if it aint a GT it aint poo poo

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My wife has a 2018 Ecoboost with the CarPlay package, it’s very worth getting that upgrade. Also IMHO worth getting the facelift.

Are you looking for an automatic or a manual? She may be amenable to selling hers, she really likes it (it’s Royal Crimson and looks very pretty) but also likes a few other cool cars and kind of wants to switch it up.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Forgot to specify, but manual all the way for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ford only sells non-V8 mustangs because they can sell more new cars that way, doesn't mean you're obligated to buy someone else's poor life decision.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Forgot to specify, but manual all the way for me.

Good choice. The automatic has too many gears and lovely programming. It’s fine in normal driving but kinda sucks for fun driving.

Hadlock posted:

Ford only sells non-V8 mustangs because they can sell more new cars that way, doesn't mean you're obligated to buy someone else's poor life decision.

I want to defend the Ecoboost Mustang as an interesting alternative to a normal car. In that context, I think it is a very good option. Comfy, fairly reliable, fairly practical, fairly good fuel economy, feels special if you're used to appliance cars, and in the right color is a great thing to look at.

edit:// and they all come with LSDs, which is more than you can say for basically any non-M BMW product

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 7, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so far my s70 is working well, needs some more repairs and some internal stuff, but while i'm working on it the biggest issue for me is that the cupholders are very small and can't hold most drinks other than cans, and i usually don't drink cans of anything.

i haven't had much luck with google but i'm trying to find either a bigger cupholder i can install, or something i can just like clip onto the side of the console or put in the passenger seat or something. any ideas? the closest i found was someone installing the cupholder from a 95 ford taurus into the slot under the radio, which seems like it did work but I don't know that I want to do something like that, especially since you need to gently caress with it a bit to make it fit. did seem like it worked pretty well, though.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/oem-din-cupholder-mod-easy-diy-42245/

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
100% worth getting the Sync3 upgrade, if nothing else than for the nicer dashboard materials. The newer 10spd autos are poo poo but I've been really happy with the 6spd ('15-'17) auto. The manuals had/have issues with the syncros wearing out prematurely, idk if they've fixed that on the '18+

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if it aint a GT it aint poo poo

:bahgawd:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

feels special if you're used to appliance cars

Such high praise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I know that the Ecoboost is a pretty good car but I don't know why you'd buy a Mustang and not buy the V8.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know that the Ecoboost is a pretty good car but I don't know why you'd buy a Mustang and not buy the V8.

V8 noises are cool, but so are turbo 4 noises. Your options of a rwd 2 door turbo 4 banger sports car at a decent price are slim if you don't want the fiat version of the fiata or the genesis coupe.

Anyways, while it is very much stupid, we have a whole rear end thread for arguing the merits of various engines in a mustang. Please take it there.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

V8 noises are cool, but so are turbo 4 noises.

the V8 is the specific party piece! it's the thing that makes the Mustang interesting and unique. Turbo 4s are fine but you can get a turbo 4 in loving like 90% of cars sold in America.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah, I've been thinking about the Ecoboost as basically and upgraded daily driver. Adding some drama to the drive to preschool, so to speak. I also enjoyed that engine a lot on the Focus RS, but I've always had a bit of a weird reaction to a non-V engine on a Mustang.

My wife just told me to get the GT, so I'm gonna do that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A convertible ecoboost for just cruising around in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

phosdex posted:

A convertible ecoboost for just cruising around in.

I had one for a week as a rental when I was in North Carolina for work, and it was a blast. Plenty of power, very fun vehicle to just cruise around in. Old office was about an hour NW of Charlotte and that was a nice drive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

doesn't mean you're obligated to buy someone else's poor life decision.

Rich coming from Captain-IQ

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Ecoboost mustang can be incredibly dope https://youtu.be/gGyIp8Ok0p8

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I had one for a week as a rental when I was in North Carolina for work, and it was a blast. Plenty of power, very fun vehicle to just cruise around in. Old office was about an hour NW of Charlotte and that was a nice drive.

Was it the automatic tho? I bet with a manual it would be plenty fun enough and a lot cheaper than a GT on the used market.

The wife and I were talking about getting another convertible, been looking at 370Z's as they can be had relatively cheap. Of course Miatas are in the mix but I've already had four of those lol, wanna try something different this time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Friend and I took a 370 for a test drive and I've gotta say I was impressed with the auto rev matching.

Then i went back to normal driving and gave it a neutral wiggle on the shifter and it, well it tried. And scared the gently caress out of me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Lets get back on focus, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
How do you put a V8 in a Focus? Discuss: