Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Where did this current topic come from anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Everything is just, so, stupid. COMPUTER END SIMULATION DAMMIT.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

By the incomprehensibility and diacritics I am guessing Finland. Anyway, this seems super-bad:
https://mobile.twitter.com/shashj/status/1644402807632478208

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

It all started this morning (Europe time) when Z telegram groups started circulating a doctored screenshot where the casualty numbers were crudely photoshopped.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It all started this morning (Europe time) when Z telegram groups started circulating a doctored screenshot where the casualty numbers were crudely photoshopped.

Aha poo poo, by topic I meant thread title. Sorry my english brain is not so good today.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
War in Ukraine: create separate threads for each leak

War in Ukraine: casualty reports go in #memes-general

War in Ukraine: ICIJ presents: the furaffinity files

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

Aha poo poo, by topic I meant thread title. Sorry my english brain is not so good today.

Can't help you there, sorry. Don't speak Moomin.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I do and know what it means but where did it come from :ninja:

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
It was set on the day Finland's NATO application was officially ratified (approved? accepted?). So: *hacker voice* I'm in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paranoea posted:

It was set on the day Finland's NATO application was officially ratified (approved? accepted?). So: *hacker voice* I'm in.

Oh it means "hacker intonation" haha nice.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Ah, of course. Too obvious for my smooth brain.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spankmeister posted:

At this point I'm unsure if that now-deleted MrLuca account was genuine, or a troll.

I think it's because I'm clumsy
I try not to talk too loud
Maybe it's because I'm crazy
I try not to act too proud

Has anyone anywhere officially commented on this?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I think it's because I'm clumsy
I try not to talk too loud
Maybe it's because I'm crazy
I try not to act too proud

Has anyone anywhere officially commented on this?

Kinda, way before the current batch of revelations:
https://mobile.twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1644318444106522628
... If that counts as official, anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

It's commemorating Finland joining NATO formally.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 7, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Kinda, way before the current batch of revelations:
https://mobile.twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1644318444106522628
... If that counts as official, anyway.

This is getting quite hot in all fairness, as a Politico defence reporter is about as good as we're going to get for this for a while.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

On the one hand it's terrible that this stuff leaked, but on the other hand I guess we're pretty lucky it leaked in the stupidest way possible and apparently went unnoticed for over a month. The information is hopefully far less damaging now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Minecraft, more like tradecraft
Reality has a new winner

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Paranoea posted:

But "mukana" is with, not in. "I'm in" would be something like "olen sisällä". Should have consulted the natives :colbert:

(I guess in English if you ask "are you in" and the answer is "I'm in", then in Finnish that answer would be "olen mukana" which means I'm with [you; this; the thing]. So that way you kind of get I'm in -> olen mukana. But it doesn't work the other way around)

Thread title suggestion: kara pērkona nesaskaņas

OlaOst
Oct 17, 2012

War in Ukraine: Tweet After Reading

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jaete posted:

But "mukana" is with, not in. "I'm in" would be something like "olen sisällä". Should have consulted the natives :colbert:

(I guess in English if you ask "are you in" and the answer is "I'm in", then in Finnish that answer would be "olen mukana" which means I'm with [you; this; the thing]. So that way you kind of get I'm in -> olen mukana. But it doesn't work the other way around)

Thread title suggestion: kara pērkona nesaskaņas

Talk about consulting the locals to get the language right, lol. Point taken, I was working against time to get the Finnish regulars with the news drop. Initially, I tried going *hakkeri-äänellä* as well, but you can't do umlauts in titles, and I did check around enough to know that "ae" substitution wouldn't work for Finnish, like it would for German.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

jaete posted:

The intended meaning "I'm in" was obvious from the first moment, and the fact that it was completely wrong in Finnish only made it funnier.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Incidentally colloquial "oon ines" would have worked by avoiding the ä and also be more credible, but it wouldn't have been understandable to anyone else even with automatic translation because it's an anglism (English in with the Finnish -essä suffix shortened to -es) and a tautology as well.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

War in Ukraine: I have no reason to be under investigation

imo the best so far. Just cryptic enough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm 40 minutes left before midnight in Latvia according to Google so:

War in Ukraine CE: Loose Lips Drop N-Bombs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As a small PSA/reminder of how POW rules came to be, please don't post JPEGs of American classified stuff here because we have plenty of Americans reading where that's a job problem. Discussing reporting is fine, linking to reporting is also fine, e.g., the tweets that were linked (at least no one has complained to me about them yet), but just posting them for the sake of it would be discourteous.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Another leak has hit the discord server

(unlocked link)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/...USAEDMgxwcBipuQ

"The latest documents were found on Twitter and other sites on Friday, a day after senior Biden administration officials said they were investigating a potential leak of classified Ukrainian war plans, include an assessment of Ukraine’s air defense capabilities. One slide, dated Feb. 23, is labeled “Secret/NoForn,” meaning it was not meant to be shared with foreign countries."

That's bad!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I was just thinking the other day that US intelligence had been unusually competent throughout the course of this war. What a clusterfuck.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

I was just thinking the other day that US intelligence had been unusually competent throughout the course of this war. What a clusterfuck.

Lot's of people losing jobs and getting calls from investigatory agencies over the next few months/years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1644464614850035714
Thug Shaker Central

This timeline I swear to god

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OlaOst posted:

War in Ukraine: Tweet After Reading

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Haystack posted:

Thank you for the suggestion

War in Ukraine: Minecraft Discord's discord steals War Thunder's thunder

This should be the thread title.

In news-chat, this leak could actually be quite bad for Ukraine. It's less about the maps--Russia knows plenty drat well where the front is--because ISR is pretty good. But the logistics information--anti-aircraft missile expenditures, timelines for logistics, etc.--could be gold for Russian operational planners if it's accurate.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Each month it gets pushed back when they were actually posted they become less damaging. I mean yeah it's not great but logistics reports from January aren't going to be super accurate in April.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

In news-chat, this leak could actually be quite bad for Ukraine. It's less about the maps--Russia knows plenty drat well where the front is--because ISR is pretty good. But the logistics information--anti-aircraft missile expenditures, timelines for logistics, etc.--could be gold for Russian operational planners if it's accurate.

That was one of the bronze medal options, but the time to make this decision was competing with time to play Dredge, meaning that I could not organize a run-off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Assuming Russia didn't have insider access for that level info already and depends on N-word Shaker Central Discord channel for leaks. Which is possible, but they have spent decades building networks within Ukrainian and western military and intelligence communities. But it's anyway not a good sign if Notch has access to your secret documents.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
War in Ukraine CE: We're all trying to find the guy who did this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Another thing it can reveal is what was the information collection capacity that Americans or whoever else had at the time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In weird news, the Wagner defector who escaped to Norway Andrei Medvedev has been arrested by Swedish police. According to his own words he went to Sweden to buy cheap cigarettes (Norway is way expensive) but missed the bus and tried to walk back. As an asylum seeker he is not allowed to leave Norway even though there are no passport checks between Nordic countries.

https://www.dn.se/sverige/rysk-wagneravhoppare-togs-av-svensk-polis-utanfor-goteborg/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Like how do you cross the border over a partly frozen river from Russia to a NATO country but then get caught between Sweden and Norway

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Like how do you cross the border over a partly frozen river from Russia to a NATO country but then get caught between Sweden and Norway

Any chance he previously served in Transnistria? (Though I can't imagine the Dniester freezes in that area much at all....)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Antigravitas posted:

I can't come up with something witty, just literal "wow_mao" and "Minecraft Map Discord Channel" is funny enough for me. How do you even top that?

The Internet is intensely stupid.

e: leaking classified documents, IN A MINECRAFT CHANNEL

WoW doesn't need a Mao, housing isn't even a thing! :dadjoke:

My name is Lucca, I live on the 2nd floor
I posted lots of secret files, now they won't let me out any more