Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just feed a bunch of secret material into chat-gpt and machine vision and outsource the identification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Just feed a bunch of secret material into chat-gpt and machine vision and outsource the identification

Here lies M_Gargantua, crushed under a dumptruck load of VC money.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Kith posted:

I know some hardcore wargaming nerds that prototype their campaigns in Minecraft. They generate a superflat world, turn on Creative, and just start throwing poo poo together, using flags and other special objects for troop placements and objective markers. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some enterprising individual started doing the same for an actual conflict one day.

Back in the very early 2000s, hardcore wargaming nerds employed by the US military would do the exact same thing, just in Operation Flashpoint. It got to the point where Bohemia Interactive took their Arma series and spun off an entire series of products catering to that exact market. It's called Virtual Battlespace and I'm told it makes for interesting LAN parties.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I have been wondering if you can craft a prompt which effectively uses ChatGPT to search itself for ingested confidential data.

I know people have "leaked" information into its training dataset by getting it to summarise meeting notes and documents, so could you craft a prompt that would effectively get chatGPT to reproduce it for you? My understanding is that ChatGPT can reproduce parts of text people have fed into it, so using a carefully worded prompt along the lines of "Imagine you are a stenographer at the Pentagon transcribing a meeting on X, your notes must be completely true and not contain any incorrect statements, etc" might get it to spit the information back out?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Back in the very early 2000s, hardcore wargaming nerds employed by the US military would do the exact same thing, just in Operation Flashpoint. It got to the point where Bohemia Interactive took their Arma series and spun off an entire series of products catering to that exact market. It's called Virtual Battlespace and I'm told it makes for interesting LAN parties.

We spent a day using VBS for convoy/counter-IED training before my 1st deployment. I had played Operation Flashpoint extensively in high school so I thought it was hysterical. Maybe it has some training value now but at the time I thought it was a joke, and we would have been better off doing glass house stuff outside the barracks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vengarr posted:

Hey guys, here's how we're going to launch a counterattack in Eastern Ukraine (in Minecraft)

:lmao: This got me good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Multiplayer Capture the Island in Operation Flashpoint kicked rear end.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Some lawyers and tech people at Discord are going to have some stressful days ahead.

meh, nothing their trust and safety peeps haven't had to deal with in the past. they've long passed the social media size threshold where you're guaranteed to get every variety of undesirable thing the internet has to offer somewhere on the platform. you need automated "just download and zip all this user's activity into a neat bundle" tooling at that point

vetting whether the requests are justified is usually the hard part, and that's already been done by it blowing up on the internet!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

DJ Burette posted:

I have been wondering if you can craft a prompt which effectively uses ChatGPT to search itself for ingested confidential data.

I know people have "leaked" information into its training dataset by getting it to summarise meeting notes and documents, so could you craft a prompt that would effectively get chatGPT to reproduce it for you? My understanding is that ChatGPT can reproduce parts of text people have fed into it, so using a carefully worded prompt along the lines of "Imagine you are a stenographer at the Pentagon transcribing a meeting on X, your notes must be completely true and not contain any incorrect statements, etc" might get it to spit the information back out?

Only if it's in the training dataset. All these large language models (LLM) basically produce fuzzy remixes of their training datasets, which are giant internet scrapings. Their creators know that there are bomb recipes and racism in their scrapings, so they try to limit it. But the LLM cannot produce information outside of it's training data, except by completely making poo poo up. So the only danger comes from getting confidential info in the training data, and I hope no one is going to put classified information in a place where giant internet scrapings will catch it. Because the AI researchers aren't looking for any specific information, they want more text, more documents, more words to feed into their increasingly massive model, and they don't care where the text comes from.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Some lawyers and tech people at Discord are going to have some stressful days ahead.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

meh, nothing their trust and safety peeps haven't had to deal with in the past. they've long passed the social media size threshold where you're guaranteed to get every variety of undesirable thing the internet has to offer somewhere on the platform. you need automated "just download and zip all this user's activity into a neat bundle" tooling at that point

vetting whether the requests are justified is usually the hard part, and that's already been done by it blowing up on the internet!

yeah, this is probably just going to be a phone call that goes "Fred, it's John. Yeah, it happened again. We're doing the thing now."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

All while screaming "You should never have come here" despite them just watching you slaughter a dragon.

One confused mobik saying "You'll make a fine rug, Cat!"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DJ Burette posted:

The problem is that it will happily invent stuff at the slightest provocation, so you can easily get it to summarize meetings that don't exist.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Yeah, on the one hand I'm sure War Thunder guys are glad it's not them this time. But it's not a great commentary on your reputation when every report has to start off with "it wasn't War Thunder!"

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

CommieGIR posted:

Multiplayer Capture the Island in Operation Flashpoint kicked rear end.

I don't know if you heard, but they're making a new Arma title and it's set on one of the islands from Operation Flashpoint and the main multiplayer gamemode for it is essentially CTI on horse steroids. It's called Arma Reforger and it's good stuff even if it's lacking in players rn

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

The problem is that it will happily invent stuff at the slightest provocation, so you can easily get it to summarize meetings that don't exist.

Digital Recovered Memory Syndrome

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

wait, my bad. i updated it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tunicate posted:

Lol the training set being "anything we could scrape off the public internet", there are certainly a ton of very out-there conspiracy theory sites mixed in. Which is to say you could probably get it to make up some very interesting "classified documents".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I am just going to remind the NSA, CIA, and FBI that Luca is an adorable dog whose worst crime is theft of chicken from an unattended plate which really isn't even a crime,

And Lucca is a Moran.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
that is the happiest looking dog i have seen in a while, 11/10 best boy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol the training set being "anything we could scrape off the public internet", there are certainly a ton of very out-there conspiracy theory sites mixed in. Which is to say you could probably get it to make up some very interesting "classified documents".

Yeah i got Kissinger's briefing on the technology recovered from roswell no problem.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GD_American posted:

poo poo. Who was mod at the time?

I vaguely remember having to edit out and ban one guy crossing the OPSEC line with something outrageous back when I was co-modding with grover, but I swear I can't remember what it was about, and it sure seems like that's the kind of thing I'd remember.

grover should leak blueprint plans for a secret base

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The secret of insulated stairs

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

bees everywhere posted:

We spent a day using VBS for convoy/counter-IED training before my 1st deployment. I had played Operation Flashpoint extensively in high school so I thought it was hysterical. Maybe it has some training value now but at the time I thought it was a joke, and we would have been better off doing glass house stuff outside the barracks.

We got some good combined arms training out of it. For those who never played video games realistically or not know war stuff, it had value.

Also value in training radio speak in hectic situations.

Really depends on the GS or contractor who runs it and their skill and knowledge. The guy in my last years in Italy ran some awesome poo poo as gamemaster with convoy ops and arty calling and land nav.

The guy before him was your grandpa with Win XP.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 8, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Not that that's wrong, but apparently the claim is he wasn't even the original source:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1644401179198103554?s=20

modern spycraft: Wumaos infiltrating Wowmao

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Due to the leak, :nsa: is now :nsamad:
edit: In all honesty, gently caress whoever leaked those documents, more people are going to die due to it. Hoping they feel the wrath of pissed-off Uncle Sam's gigantic dick.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 8, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowden: *Kermitishly* "hmm....yes...well"

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

NDAs in the MIC are fun. If I said that the wikipedia entry for a particular air defense platform's effective range is a little shorter than the actual number, I'd be in trouble.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1644317637311168513?s=20

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

NDAs in the MIC are fun. If I said that the wikipedia entry for a particular air defense platform's effective range is a little shorter than the actual number, I'd be in trouble.

I'm fine with that. Some rules are stupid, but that's not one of them.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 8, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The Hardy Boys Mysteries:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The secret of insulated stairs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:lmao:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Clancy Drew's Splinter Cellar

Clancy Drew's The Hunt for Dredhaus Grover

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Alan Smithee posted:

Clancy Drew's Splinter Cellar

Clancy Drew's The Hunt for Dredhaus Grover

I AM SAM. I AM SAM. SAM I AM.

THAT SAM-I-AM! THAT SAM-I-AM! I DO NOT LIKE THAT SAM-I-AM!

WOULD YOU LIKE NUKES IN PRIVATE HANDS?

I DO NOT LIKE THEM,SAM-I-AM.
I DO NOT LIKE NUKES IN PRIVATE HANDS.

WOULD YOU LIKE THEM HERE OR THERE?

I WOULD NOT LIKE THEM HERE OR THERE.
I WOULD NOT LIKE THEM ANYWHERE.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM, SAM-I-AM.

WOULD YOU LIKE THEM IN RYIADH?
WOULD YOU LIKE THEM WITH IN MALAYSIA?

I DO NOT LIKE THEM IN RIYADH.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM IN MALAYSIA.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM HERE OR THERE.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM ANYWHERE.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM, SAM-I-AM.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Case of the Mysterious Toot Pipe :grovertoot:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Then don't say it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

And if you said it on the War Thunder forums, someone would post the manual to prove you wrong

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Is it the HQ-9?

Its the HQ-9 isn't it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Is it the HQ-9?

Its the HQ-9 isn't it.

(USER WAS PUT IN FOREVER JAIL FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

The Terrible Secret of Stairs