Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ohhhh, the wellness check wasn't caught on the podcast, but he screamed so much about Megan Mcardle that someone called the cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhh, the wellness check wasn't caught on the podcast, but he screamed so much about Megan Mcardle that someone called the cops

I believe you actually hear him talking to the cops/neighbors in the background at a certain point lol

e. 17:16

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 7, 2023

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Election stream Matt is the truest of his myriad forms. What a hero.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol "Seems like we lost Felix" again this episode

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

hahaha wow NY internet is just so spotty!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

i say swears online posted:

hahaha wow NY internet is just so spotty!!

Isn't New York internet actually really lovely for a major city?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Isn't New York internet actually really lovely for a major city?

Famously, the telecom companies got like $100 billion from the government to build fiber infrastructure, but then they didn't do it. So New York got covered in ads for fiber internet to give the appearance that these companies had done it, but if you want to actually get it, you have to like form a group with all the people in your building to petition the telecom and then YOU have to do the legwork of getting the buildings between you and the big fiber pipe to sign off on the telecom installing infrastructure on their buildings.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

“Tin can on a string from an outhouse he’s stuck in” is the best Matt audio.

does anyone remember what episode it is where his audio just starts breaking up worse and worse while he's talking until it sounds like MWFWMFFMFMWMWWFWWFFFWfff

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

PostNouveau posted:

Famously, the telecom companies got like $100 billion from the government to build fiber infrastructure, but then they didn't do it. So New York got covered in ads for fiber internet to give the appearance that these companies had done it, but if you want to actually get it, you have to like form a group with all the people in your building to petition the telecom and then YOU have to do the legwork of getting the buildings between you and the big fiber pipe to sign off on the telecom installing infrastructure on their buildings.

I lived 50 feet from a Verizon store advertising a turbo fiber connection and they said the building was too old. Saw the ads every day on my way home, thanks assholes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

I lived 50 feet from a Verizon store advertising a turbo fiber connection and they said the building was too old. Saw the ads every day on my way home, thanks assholes

Meanwhile there are spots in like rural Kentucky where the companies refused to build phone lines 80 years ago, so the locals had to form co-ops.

Guess who has fiber internet for like $30 a month now.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

PostNouveau posted:

Meanwhile there are spots in like rural Kentucky where the companies refused to build phone lines 80 years ago, so the locals had to form co-ops.

and farmers used fence wire to rig telegraph networks

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

PostNouveau posted:

lmao

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

PostNouveau posted:

I've only listen to the appendixes and they've all been great

The real episodes put me to sleep almost immediately

I am slowly working my way through them but the series is incredible dense and difficult to focus on, much more so than Hell of Presidents which centers on figures/events of which I already have a familiarity. With Hell on Earth, I constantly find myself rewinding back 2-3 minutes. Its got great sections, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hell on Earth is loving sick. And the production is really good too like some serious work went into it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

net work error posted:

War Nerd is a pro rear end pod friend. You'll be fully in when you listen to a 3 hour episode with Annibale about some Italian war.

I miss hearing that gravelly-voiced Italian man struggle with speaking English.

"And thees ees the point"
*Does not get to the point for another 45 minutes*

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I think he's over it. Only a matter of time before he gets replaced by ettingermentum.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Felix owns

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why would anyone be "over" a six-figure job where you only have to show up twice a week (and you don't actually have to show up)

For the exciting answer to this question, email Virgil

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Felix is out there personally talking to all his reply guys to prevent the next disaster.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Felix seemed insanely checked out at the live show too. 6 figure salary is nice but he doesn't really have any specific projects to put passion into.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder how much he's saved up

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Rental Sting posted:

I am slowly working my way through them but the series is incredible dense and difficult to focus on, much more so than Hell of Presidents which centers on figures/events of which I already have a familiarity. With Hell on Earth, I constantly find myself rewinding back 2-3 minutes. Its got great sections, though.

Definitely had to rewind a few times to be like "wait, who is this guy again and why do I care?" and it didn't help that everyone had one of four names. That all being said, I definitely enjoyed it and I think just capturing the vibe of the era more than the specifics was what interested me most: a bunch of secondary lords and nations going Prot in order to steal Catholic lands for themselves and wage war on the dominant order in a time where armies were these really weird moving masses that weren't really feudal but weren't like anything close to modern either. The Revolutions podcast they recommend for the English civil war owns btw - much easier to follow.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I appreciated the series as a way of kind of explaining how it was the genesis for the system we're forced to deal with today and how it was hosed from the start.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would anyone be "over" a six-figure job where you only have to show up twice a week (and you don't actually have to show up)

Not to speculate that he is leaving, but Amber left. There is more to the world than money and doing something you've lost your passion for would suck even if it is easy and pays well.

But also he might have just lost his connection?

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

No Dignity posted:

Not to speculate that he is leaving, but Amber left. There is more to the world than money and doing something you've lost your passion for would suck even if it is easy and pays well.

But also he might have just lost his connection?

Seemed like a connection drop.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

yeah hard to keep up the podcast grind when you’re Vyvanse dealer gets busted

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shocking update about Clarence Thomas's billionaire supporter

https://twitter.com/PatBlanchfield/status/1644683089698865154?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The dude owns Hitler linens, paintings by Hitler, and a signed copy of Mein Kampf lol

Halloween Jack posted:

Ask stavros.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look at all these fools who haven’t played enough EU4 to name most princes of the HRE.

loving Palatinate.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jeez, how short is Amber?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Did amber actually leave? last I heard she was still getting a cut of the patreon money for doing nothing, which seems like a pretty sweet deal

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i think she said the last live show she did would be her last live show. nothing about the show itself though

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Wait I thought Amber married Matt and they are having a baby?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Different Amber

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

fractal leftist ambers got it makes sense.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(bust roddishly) Amber Crollo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

My town did this, and had one of the largest coop telecoms in the world. Faster internet speed and premium cable channels for like 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a city.

Eventually the regional monopoly noticed how much surplus value there was and offered to buy it, while simultaneously cutting their network and content agreements, threatening to double up the last mile, and offering a crazy sign up bonus for new subscribers. Somehow this was not considered unfair competition and an incredible 30 year old organization was killed overnight.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Excuse me, but this podcast "Chapo Trap House" already had an episode titled "Night at the Museum". It was episode 96, and it featured a reading series from Jay Nordlinger which caused much hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's ok; somebody got fired for that blunder (Virgil.)