Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

withak posted:

I want a flashback spin-off where we learn about Jack Black’s Imperial exploits.

A fun romp where we discover he was in charge of the execution of dissidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The thing that bugs me about Ahsoka is that Tiya Sircar is RIGHT THERE, they couldn't cast her as Sabine again?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jet Jaguar posted:

The thing that bugs me about Ahsoka is that Tiya Sircar is RIGHT THERE, they couldn't cast her as Sabine again?

Maybe they auditioned her and she just didn't work? You can be a great voice actor and not fit the actual character in a live action adaptation. Filoni seems like the type where he'd at least see if the voice actors would work in live action.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Just Chamber posted:

A fun romp where we discover he was in charge of the execution of dissidents.

I kinda got the whole "somehow kissed the right asses and never pissed off the wrong people" promotion vibe from him that I'm sure a lot of enlisted and Nobles will recognize. My guess is we'll find out he was behind making sure all the widgets made at the prisons from Andor got to the Death Star.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

No Mods No Masters posted:

I find it hard to believe there won't be another canon reset some ways down the line, it's just inevitably entailed by endless trash storytelling.
What would be the point?

While the stories intersect, you don't need to watch everything anything else to understand what is going on in a particular show or movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Cheesus posted:

What would be the point?

While the stories intersect, you don't need to watch everything anything else to understand what is going on in a particular show or movie.

What was the point of throwing out the canon the previous time they did it? The same argument applies, they could have told stories in that framework. It was just too burdensome and they didn't want to deal with it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you mean the 30 years of books Disney had no involvement in?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Maybe they auditioned her and she just didn't work? You can be a great voice actor and not fit the actual character in a live action adaptation. Filoni seems like the type where he'd at least see if the voice actors would work in live action.

Was Ashley Eckstein ever auditioned for live action Ahsoka before Rosario Dawson got the part?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 7, 2023

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If they make another trilogy of films they should put some sort of text based description of events at the start of the film that slowly scrolls allowing anyone unfamiliar with the story to get the basics

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

site posted:

you mean the 30 years of books Disney had no involvement in?

Yeah, exactly. Again, I'm talking some years down the line. New creative comes in and feels that same way, there's all this poo poo they had no involvement in hogging the primo story beats that *they* want to play with now.

Obviously the implicit comparison here is comic books. When this poo poo goes on long enough people are gonna want to do *their* take on the origin story of X

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You missed my point

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve driven a hard line between Lucas-blessed material and the Disney stuff, but counting 1-9 is simple enough, if arduous.

But to understand the Ashoka show you need to watch at least six movies and two tv shows, maybe three of you count Mando. That’s insane.

I honestly think this newly announced Filoni movie is going to be the end of the "Filoni-verse". Not that he'll be fired, or anything, and I'm sure his characters will show up in other things here and there. But that really feels like it'll be the culmination of all of his stuff, probably ending Mando, Ahsoka, and Thrawn (I know he's a Zahn character, but he's basically a Filoni character by proxy at this point for non-book media). Which is why they're also pushing two movies at much different time frames, to hope to build out different cinematic mini-universes to gently caress around in that require less of a buy in.

Because you're kind of right, when people ask me what they need to watch to know what they need to before watching Ahsoka, I have a hard time answering them. I want to say all of Clone Wars and Rebels, but that's a hard thing to sell people on.

That being said, I can't get over how happy I am about all this. I'm like a pig in poo poo right now. I just watched an interview with Giancarlo Esposito where he talked about what Moff Gideon's feelings towards Thrawn are at this point, and I swear, I never though I'd be here.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 7, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

site posted:

You missed my point

I don't think I did. You might need to use your words to elaborate your point a bit, if you want to have a forums conversation about the topic

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

yeah also keep in mind there's a big difference between watching a show 1 episode a week as it airs vs watching 45 hours + x hours of rebels to "catch up to the story"

I do often forget that working from home means I pretty much watch everything I feel like. I watched all of Clone Wars in a couple of weeks, for instance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I don't think I did. You might need to use your words to elaborate your point a bit, if you want to have a forums conversation about the topic

Instead of getting defensive I would suggest looking again at the key words in that post

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sentinel Red posted:

I only know who those folks in the trailer are through cultural osmosis, IDGAF about animation generally so never watched the cartoons (made a rare exception for The Dad Batch but S2 was so boring I’m done), and not any read SW novels either. In any event, a fun enough trailer I guess, am lolling at the blatant rules lawyering of bad guys with orange sabres (totally not breaking the rules with more Sith, nope sir) and looking forward to seeing the fat little droid everyone loves murder some folks.

I am watching S1 of Bad Batch in hopes it picks up in S2, so that's disappointing. It looks nice, but it's so, so boring. I turn on Japanese subtitles to learn new vocab/expressions so that's mainly what's been keeping me going.

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I am also not a Cartoon Enjoyer and Ashoka as a character has always come off at least a little cringe, and this trailer hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

drunkill posted:

Yeah, they'll borrow plot points or storybeats from the books.

We've got Tantiss and clone labs, a not-mara jade character in the trailer, who obviously wont hook up with Luke in the grand scheme of things etc.

A renamed Jorrus like character perhaps.

Rename him Cbat and play the Hudson Mohawke evil clown sex song when he's on screen
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/reddit-hudson-mohawke-sex-song-cbat-1234587712/

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I'm sorry I know there's new Star Wars to discuss but I have to say the fight at the end of the last ep of Mando gave me "your two cousins got into a fistfight at the annual family BBQ" vibes and I can't quite explain why.

Otherwise I keep flip-flopping on that episode but it's so drat weird that overall I think I liked it?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Probably because Sabine is ethnically coded as east Asian, and Sircar's family are Bengali. So they probably wanted to cast more closely for live action.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Senrab posted:

I'm sorry I know there's new Star Wars to discuss but I have to say the fight at the end of the last ep of Mando gave me "your two cousins got into a fistfight at the annual family BBQ" vibes and I can't quite explain why.

Ha, that's hilarious. Probably because it was in an open field, everyone watching generally was okay with whoever won, and they all made up at the end? But you're spot on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Officially throwing out the books, comics etc was necessary if Disney wanted any sort of established canon going forward, considering how much of it there was and how much of it contradicted both itself and more recent media.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Senrab posted:

Otherwise I keep flip-flopping on that episode but it's so drat weird that overall I think I liked it?

Or like a brawl at a kid's soccer game between two parents fighting over who actually scored a goal while their kids awkwardly avoid looking at anyone else

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I am watching S1 of Bad Batch in hopes it picks up in S2, so that's disappointing. It looks nice, but it's so, so boring. I turn on Japanese subtitles to learn new vocab/expressions so that's mainly what's been keeping me going.

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I am also not a Cartoon Enjoyer and Ashoka as a character has always come off at least a little cringe, and this trailer hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

Season 2 of Bad Batch does have weak episodes in the middle but holy poo poo anything involving Crosshair and the final 2 episodes is some of the best Star Wars we've gotten - across all media. And the ending of season 1 is another all timer. Do not give up on it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

stev posted:

Officially throwing out the books, comics etc was necessary if Disney wanted any sort of established canon going forward, considering how much of it there was and how much of it contradicted both itself and more recent media.

Thankfully the new established canon is going great, contains no contradictions, and will stand for 1000 years

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thankfully the new established canon is going great, contains no contradictions, and will stand for 1000 years

Agreed, so far so good.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 7, 2023

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Senrab posted:

With jetpacks! :haw:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Get it while it's good, a leaked trailer for Andor Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpbXuxu-znQ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Senrab posted:

Fights like that probably happen all the time for them. This time it was who was in command of the entire mercenary unit. Last week it was over who was on laundry duty. Normal stuff.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I love how scrappy a mando fighting another mando is.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ashoka as a character has always come off at least a little cringe

Ahsoka is probably the character I have 180'd on the most in fiction. When you first meet her in the Clone Wars movie she's a cringey preteen. I didn't like her at first, or the relationship she was forming with Anakin. But the sheer amount of development the characters go through in the Clone Wars series, and extending into Rebels, is ridiculous. And now she's the GOAT getting her time in the prime light.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

I want a flashback spin-off where we learn about Jack Black’s Imperial exploits.

Could you imagine THIS GUY having to report directly to Palpatine or Vader?

Senrab
May 10, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, that's hilarious. Probably because it was in an open field, everyone watching generally was okay with whoever won, and they all made up at the end? But you're spot on.

That and the folding lawn chairs I guess.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

stev posted:

For as much as I found the sequel trilogy a major disappointment, I have to admit that i will grudgingly take it over everything related to the Yuuzhan Vong.

The silver lining is that the likes of Filoni have cherry picked the better stuff from the legends era. I realize that can work the other way just as quickly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vintersorg posted:

Season 2 of Bad Batch does have weak episodes in the middle but holy poo poo anything involving Crosshair and the final 2 episodes is some of the best Star Wars we've gotten - across all media. And the ending of season 1 is another all timer. Do not give up on it.

Yeah, S2 is outstanding when it hits its highs. It's also got some excellent cinematography and animation, some of the fights in the finale had great camera work.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Auralnauts guys better warm up a new Body Count video file for Chopper. Most homicidal droid since HK-47!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The Disney Star Wars EU (DEU?) has finally gotten dense enough that I wish the Star Wars Saga RPG was resurrected and updated. Even Obi-Wan can be disassembled for parts, when it comes to fleshing out a campaign.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Senrab posted:

https://twitter.com/johnarlia/status/1152408808720928768?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBudKnight/status/1146124733592887296?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBudKnight/status/1134435622859550722?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBudKnight/status/1128838903379767296?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheBudKnight/status/1026182031091412992?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBudKnight/status/960327469600473089?s=20

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Larryb posted:

Was Ashley Eckstein ever auditioned for live action Ahsoka before Rosario Dawson got the part?

Lol I think you could make a case for Tiya Sircar since she has a bunch of network TV credits this decade, even if she doesn’t look like the character (which I don’t really care about her looking like her cartoon character) but there’s no way anyone is casting Ashley Eckstein for lead anything,

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looks like reading The og Thrawn trilogy might actually have been a good idea... But I need to get moving on Rebels

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

1st AD posted:

Lol I think you could make a case for Tiya Sircar since she has a bunch of network TV credits this decade, even if she doesn’t look like the character (which I don’t really care about her looking like her cartoon character) but there’s no way anyone is casting Ashley Eckstein for lead anything,

why's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
1)doesn’t have a good look for TV, I don’t care if you put her in makeup it’s not gonna work
2)her only live action roles have been some Disney channel poo poo from 20 years ago

She wouldn’t even be considered by a casting director, now obviously she’s got an in with Filoni but there’s no way a studio would cast her to lead a show they’re spending millions of dollars on