Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: hot cocoa on the couch)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Toxic Mental posted:

I’m gonna say it

Most Chinese food in the states is really bad, as is most barbecue. When you find a good place it’s really good but on the whole it’s bad to awful

Come at me

I don't think thats a controversial statement. What kind of restaurant do you think has a majority of being "good" in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I don't think most restaurants being poo poo is a problem exclusive and unique to the United States

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

No because that's insanely stupid. American Chinese food is American Chinese food and when I think "BBQ" I think America. It's basically our national dish.

You are an insane person.

Do you turn up your nose at "Mexican" food here because they used ground beef in a taco or didn't make the masa in a mortar and pestle?

I'm being aggressive on purpose. I'm not really mad at you. :)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

I’m gonna say it

Most Chinese food in the states is really bad, as is most barbecue. When you find a good place it’s really good but on the whole it’s bad to awful

Come at me

fail

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hey maybe Toxic Mental has been to every single Chinese restaurant in the US, you guys ever think of that?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
"bbq in the states is bad" is just probably just a bad troll attempt really.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nah most Mexican food in the US is great, if you're not counting Taco Bell for obvious reasons

I'm not sure why Chinese places here gently caress it up over and over. Like, I've been to China multiple times and it's fine. Cashew Chicken or whatever just being this watery saucey mess on top of dry, bland rice seems to be the norm. I've been to a zillion BBQ places all over from Texas to Georgia and almost all of them are overly dry and bland served with a few pieces of wonderbread for $25 before tip and tax. Some of the best BBQ I've ever had was from an alleyway food truck in New Jersey.

The best Chinese place in my city is the one near the university campus that operates out of a really dingy building and most of the signage is in Chinese and it's where all the exchange students go.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 7, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Nah most Mexican food in the US is great, if you're not counting Taco Bell for obvious reasons

I strongly disagree with "most". I have eaten at a lot of taquerias in California, a state which likely has better mexican food than most. There are many that just are not very good. I'd say most of them do maybe 1 or 2 types of meat that can be called good and the rest of their meats are prepared poorly.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm not sure why Chinese places here gently caress it up over and over. Like, I've been to China multiple times and it's fine.

those are two different things OP

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

those are two different things OP

Yeah, American Chinese food is very, very well known to be our own thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

are you sure? my fortune cookie had authentic chinese characters written on it

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I strongly disagree with "most". I have eaten at a lot of taquerias in California, a state which likely has better mexican food than most. There are many that just are not very good. I'd say most of them do maybe 1 or 2 types of meat that can be called good and the rest of their meats are prepared poorly.

I went to Tito's in downtown LA and thought it sucked mega rear end but I just hate Los Angeles

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Its also not going into the differences between sichuan or cantonese style or chinese halal (though theres really not very many of this type).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

I went to Tito's in downtown LA and thought it sucked mega rear end but I just hate Los Angeles

I don't think the crunchy tacos at Tito's are bad. But again, thats the ONLY thing I would order there. The burritos etc are all very bad. And thats the point. Most US Mexican places are only gonna do a couple things well and a place like that I wouldn't call "Great"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My town is probably just privileged but we have at least 5 absolutely amazing food trucks and probably 3 really, really good sit down places that I can and do rotate around happily

That said I live in a medium sized PNW city so I can only assume the selection in other areas is even better

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sick on a friday are u kidding me

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bad Purchase posted:

are you sure? my fortune cookie had authentic chinese characters written on it

:same:

and my box opened sideways

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:stare:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

That's called a 3 day weekend op

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

That said I live in a medium sized PNW city so I can only assume the selection in other areas is even better

I can only assume you live in Eugene which is Known to be poo poo for Chinese food.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

That's called a 3 day weekend op

it's already a 3 day weekend.......... and it's fukcing ruined

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

long weekend fail

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hot chicken noodle soup on teh couch perhaps op?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

hate to see it

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I’m watching Hamiltons Pharmacopeia and smoking weed and eating food in my kitchen

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Joe Biden forced me to eat too much Chinese food :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Don't worry you'll feel 10% hungrier in about an hour

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown posted:

hot chicken noodle soup on teh couch perhaps op?

this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

what did u have

i got a couple breakfast burritos earlier and still have half of each that imma eat, chorizo and asada, smothered, xmas chile

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just had two 10mg gummies. Nothing on TV but game shows atm.

Still got about an hour for the gummies to kick in. I'll probably play Mount and Blade Bannerlord soon. I want to play a base building or tycoon type game. I got to the 3rd or 4th hospital in Two Point Hospital but am running into an issue so I'll after either reorganize the whole place or start the level over and I'm too lazy to do that. :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Still got about an hour for the gummies to kick in. I'll probably play Mount and Blade Bannerlord soon.
:haibrower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9buo9Mtos

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Watching Heston’s Ben Hur eating home made guac and chips, having some whiskey and scotch. A Good Friday.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MrQwerty posted:

what did u have

i got a couple breakfast burritos earlier and still have half of each that imma eat, chorizo and asada, smothered, xmas chile

sesame chicken and chicken on a stick and a egg roll

started watching The Sandman. p good so far.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gatts posted:

Watching Heston’s Ben Hur eating home made guac and chips, having some whiskey and scotch. A Good Friday.

Is that considered an Easter movie?

I know the ten commandments is. My Italian and very Catholic grandmother always watched that poo poo at Easter. Probably cause a local station always showed it then.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Toxic Mental posted:

Lmao Tito's is basically LA homegrown tacobell

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just finished tugging (weights)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had a Qdoba burrito bowl earlier and I was not pleased. I haven't been there in a long time but for some reason this time they had zero labels on the 30 loving items they sell.

What's that red one?
Mild
What's that slightly lighter red one?
Medium
No the other slightly lighter red one?
Oh that's hot. Wait.... all the ones on this side are hot. All the ones on this side are mild.
Ok so what's the green one on the hot side in the middle?
etc, etc, etc....

It was frustrating so I just gave up and pointed and accepted what I got. It wasn't very good and I'll be going to Chipotle next because they just opened one here!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

what did u have

There's a place in my city that does the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. One little Mexican lady runs the truck. Huge loving amazing soft and chewy tortilla, really nicely cooked (not overdone) scrambled eggs, awesome homemade breakfast sausage, and a fuckton of cheese and it's $6. You can also get a japaeno salsa in it at no extra charge. The thing is massive, like over 1lb. I tip two bucks usually each time I go because it's amazing and she deserves it. A good breakfast burrito is heavenly.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Toxic Mental posted:

There's a place in my city that does the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. One little Mexican lady runs the truck. Huge loving amazing soft and chewy tortilla, really nicely cooked (not overdone) scrambled eggs, awesome homemade breakfast sausage, and a fuckton of cheese and it's $6. You can also get a japaeno salsa in it at no extra charge. The thing is massive, like over 1lb. I tip two bucks usually each time I go because it's amazing and she deserves it. A good breakfast burrito is heavenly.

yeah a good breakfast burrito is dope, and these are new mexican style cuz new mexican food is its own whole thing that is a whole separate type of dope poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

tonight i painted a tiny little 3x3 canvas of the Pretty Hate Machine album art