Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Someone put a non-spoiler stat guide of the railway.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/149rzHw6y_rxH_kDFnzmANNgDDEKfsKYmB5JABIbJNIs/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Finally got N Corp Faust (when I was trying to get 7 Outis, go figure), but now I gotta figure out if she's worth switching in for LobCorp Remnant Faust for my next Railway attempt.

Verant fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2023

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The HP totals are really bullshit. It just isn't fun.

I nearly got it(managed to push off the Slithering Inquisitor, one Four-Legged Beast about to die) and then I died because my sole survivor, Sinclair, couldn't beat the beasts in a clash. I was excited and interested, thinking up a new strategy and how I'd work it, started again...and then just ragequit because the constant slow gradual grinding was too much. I don't even know if it was a brick wall-it's just that it takes so long to try to break down these meat walls.

When my Level 30 Ishmael uses her Mind Whip against a staggered foe with Fragile or otherwise lowered defenses, she can do upwards of 250 damage. This is enough to one-hit or almost most regular enemies in the game. This is also around 15% of the Slithering Inquisitor's health pool. The circumstances to do this much damage are few and far between.

I understand the idea of a challenge, but it's just deeply, deeply frustrating to just have these infinite fights for sliver damage. I've given up on turncount, it's just frustrating and unfun. Whether my strategy will work or not, if I put effort into it I will have to spend so much time slowly slogging away that at several points I've considered just turning on winrate in what's supposed to be the biggest challenge mode. Not to mention all of this is decided by the weaknesses, which you aren't told about in advance! If you used units that would be good for one thing to do a fight before it, you might just be completely screwed and have no idea!

This is partly on me and my terrible skills, I admit, but also the amount of meatwalls... The K Corp fight was actually significantly less irritating than all the 1500 HP abnos because at least you got to feel like you were actually doing damage before they healed it up and there was a challenge in 'hit them hard enough they can't heal it back'. R Heathcliff, who I trained up because he's usually one of the best units, is completely useless here. This might be easier if I change out, but if I change out then I'm going to have to fight through all nine stages again.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just cleared Dog and Fish with 2 deaths... both my fault. Spammed too much EGO with Mers so he started corroding and getting surgery stacks, and I pressed Win Rate on the last turn with R Ishmael :v: Kromer was honestly a joke, which says a lot about the balance of which fights are hard in here.

On the bright side, the tickets gave me not only R Heathcliff at last, but also Kurokumo Rodion and Form is Emptiness EGO. At this point I'm either going for W Don or using all my boxes to spark whatever event unit we get this month (specially if the joke becomes lore and we get NotHamHamPangPang IDs).

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Kind of have to agree with t3isukone there on the really massively inflated health pools dragging the experience down a bit. I gave it a shot because it looked fun and I thought "It'll be a nice a little thing I can play at before I go do other stuff", and it took me all afternoon practically, especially how a lot of these bosses seem to be big health pools rather than any actual complicated challenge.

The one boss that felt super interesting was the last boss but the others were kind of a slog once you got past their gimmick.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 7, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TheNabster posted:

Kind of have to agree with t3isukone there on the really massively inflated health pools dragging the experience down a bit. I gave it a shot because it looked fun and I thought "It'll be a nice a little thing I can play at." And it took me all afternoon practically especially how a lot of these bosses seem to be big health pools rather than any actual complicated challenge.

The one boss that felt super interesting was the last boss but the others were kind of a slog once you got past their gimmick.
A lot of it's about strategizing and using your damage effectively. You took 11 turns to beat Headless Ichythys, but it can be beaten in as few as two turns if you play your cards right (stagger an arm, go all-in on the staggered arm with your biggest hits like Quick Suppression, Rip Space, Mind Crush etc etc). I myself beat it in three. Some fights are just pure slogs no matter what you do, like the loving Slithering Inquisitor, but you'd be surprised at how fast some fights go down if you play your cards right.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

t3isukone posted:

R Heathcliff, who I trained up because he's usually one of the best units, is completely useless here.

it's kinda funny to see this sentiment so much when R Heath is used liberally in a lot of the lowest turn clear strats. the sickos really are playing on a different level.

I finished up around 156 turns, miiight go back and try for the fancy banner but maybe not. had a lot of frustrating restarts and own goals but it overall felt fun and satisfying to clear, and of course the loot is great. very excited for the upcoming event!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...waait a minute.

Just to fully check... can you bring supports to RR?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...waait a minute.

I'm pretty sure you can only use one support unit, but yeah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GilliamYaeger posted:

Just finished Refraction in 113 turns! Just got a very, very clean start - none of the first seven fights went over 10 turns which gave me more than enough wiggle room to just sail through the rest of the run without even needing to try and go fast. Knew I had things in the bag when I calced things out and saw I'd beat the target by merely winning the rest of the fights in an average of 13 turns.

N Faust, G Gregor, W Don and Blade Lineage SinclairImpending Day were the MVPs of the run. Impending Day especially, since feeding Sinclair kills in the Mariachi and Inquisitor fights let me build up an awful lot of resources very fast which let me spam EGO like no tomorrow (especially Legedemain, easily the best EGO in the game and I'd be surprised if that ever changes) - as soon as Sinclair gets a better 000 and an AoE EGO he's going to be a loving monster.

i don't have sinclair and faust uptied, and i don't have w don at all :negative:

otoh been VERY impressed with Seven Outis

e: i suppose this could be a use for friend codes

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

...waait a minute.

yah, I used a support Sinclair for my run since i didnt have his 000 myself

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pkay I'm an idiot that's a massive change since I can bring a friend W Don to make her slot not dead.

Now with R Heathcliff and maybe bringing some 00 Yi Sang/Ryoshu/Sinclair for support skills I might be able to do better.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

YES bread posted:

it's kinda funny to see this sentiment so much when R Heath is used liberally in a lot of the lowest turn clear strats. the sickos really are playing on a different level.

I finished up around 156 turns, miiight go back and try for the fancy banner but maybe not. had a lot of frustrating restarts and own goals but it overall felt fun and satisfying to clear, and of course the loot is great. very excited for the upcoming event!
You can easily double his staying power by alternating between using his normal skills and using Bodybag. Hell, Bodybag's buffs are REALLY good on R Heath! It's how I got him through the Slithering Inquisitor fight, which lasted 17 turns and he only ran out of ammo at the last moment.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i don't have sinclair and faust uptied, and i don't have w don at all :negative:

otoh been VERY impressed with Seven Outis

e: i suppose this could be a use for friend codes
I didn't get much use out of 7 Outis in my 113 run, but that's mostly because she's very good at being reliable and not as good at doing fucktons of damage.

Friend code is X369627650, by the way, if anyone wants to use my tricked out units.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

finished my first run with 155, but i definitely hoarded my sins waaay too much, so i could pare that down significantly

it was fun to actually have to engage with mechanics. i finally had to learn what exactness some of my EGOs did lmao, ive mostly just used single target ones to guarantee clash wins

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thanks, sent you a request.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
is there any way to see what ego passives you've activated so far in a fight?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Has anyone else had problems with the mobile app version recently? It was the primary way I was playing since launch day and didn't have any issues.
But at some point between April Fools and the railway update it started crashing whenever I use an EGO. Did anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

apparently turning off post processing really improves performance, that might help?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Making my way through chapter 3 right now, and just so I'm prepared for the dungeon, can someone explain Kromer? I've heard she's blunt resistant and burns/bleeds are a terrible idea, but I don't know anything past that. I'd really like to not have to repeat a dungeon (after getting my team squashed flat by baba yaga's ice castle in dungeon 2).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arzaac posted:

Making my way through chapter 3 right now, and just so I'm prepared for the dungeon, can someone explain Kromer? I've heard she's blunt resistant and burns/bleeds are a terrible idea, but I don't know anything past that. I'd really like to not have to repeat a dungeon (after getting my team squashed flat by baba yaga's ice castle in dungeon 2).

I just fought her today on Railway and it's the same fight, so here are some tips (spoiling the explanations if you don't need them):

Bring Slash and specially Pierce. She's weak to Pride and resists Lust as an additional bonus but don't overfocus on that. She uses a variety of types and mainly Pride/Lust/Wrath skills. Try not to spam too many EGOs since you'd like to have at least 1-2 ready for big attacks.

P1: Just play the clash and redirect game until T5 or so where she readies a big coin attack that will stagger a sinner, have the target use a Big EGO to win the Clash and stagger her. You can extend the stagger by reaching her threshold which makes the phase go fast.

P2: Focus on the Maw since it's the part weak to Pierce, and clash her other skills. Have EGOs ready for her Wrath skills since they're big coins. At low HP you can pass a Pride Check to insta stagger her whoch should lead to a win.

It mostly depends on your levels, since at low levels she'll win clashes way more easily and be a pain.

EDIT: Also you can bring Burn/Bleed if you need to, but Burn can never rise above 1 count (so no Liu Hong Lu or Liu Mersault) and Bleed needs to be used up before the start of the next turn (the harder one to control)

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 7, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Now that I've gotten all IDs to 26 (except some new ones I just got), I'm gonna try focusing on elevating the ones I found most useful on the Railway to 30. Already got W Corp DQ there, next is Faust Who Grips. I dunno if I'm actually going to try to get the best banner, but I guess we'll see.

Arzaac posted:

First phase has no weaknesses, so concentrate on winning clashes and getting sin points. "The Gripping" will stagger whatever it targets no matter what, so pick the unit who you need least next turn to take it. "I'll Claim Your Life" needs to be clashed with an E.G.O., because it staggers her when you beat it. Second Phase is a much more normal fight that I won with no problems. People have said she has a really strong multi-target attack, but I never saw it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

studio mujahideen posted:

apparently turning off post processing really improves performance, that might help?

I've been having the same problem on my Pixel 6A and turning off post processing did make my phone run cooler than it did previously, but it didn't actually solve the problem. It lasted longer than previously, but that just means hanging for five seconds when the EGO splash art first pops up and then crashing instead of crashing as soon as it hits that part of the animation.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Dunno if it's a bug or a boon from project moon but the railway version of Kromer doesn't have the burn/bleed passive.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the mobile app version recently? It was the primary way I was playing since launch day and didn't have any issues.
But at some point between April Fools and the railway update it started crashing whenever I use an EGO. Did anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

My iphone overheated whenever an ego was used. That might be happening to you.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, finished in about 160~ turns. Final boss was surprisingly painless besides one time he went mad.

Is the 000 banner for the ticket you get from the final boss not up yet? Wouldn't use it yet with only 3 identities left, but just wondering.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Shows up for me, but im not sure if we're getting another set of story IDs before the season ends, so I'm unsure if I should use it now

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
We're definitely getting at least one more set; the event IDs from Hell's Chicken are considered part of Season 1.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The special ticket banner specifies STORY IDs, which are the ones based on enemy types in ch1--3, is the thing. so im not sure the event ones will count

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

studio mujahideen posted:

Shows up for me, but im not sure if we're getting another set of story IDs before the season ends, so I'm unsure if I should use it now

We're getting another story chapter before the season ends (unless the roadmap breaks entirely), so I assume we're getting a few more banners.

EDIT: Or maybe I misread the whole thing and completely forgot when this season ends.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 7, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lurks With Wolves posted:

We're getting another story chapter before the season ends (unless the roadmap breaks entirely), so I assume we're getting a few more banners.

EDIT: Or maybe I misread the whole thing and completely forgot when this season ends.

Checking out the roadmap we're getting a banner right before Chapter 4/Season 2. It could be another story banner (which would be... N Corp Sinclair? K Corp someone?) or another Regular banner like Seven Outis.

Also the banner appeared on reset, bug! :v: no reason to pull right now though since I have all story identities, gonna check if they add the event (doubtful) or if that last banner is a story one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

given the schedule probably one more set.

if we assume they're listing the event banner under hell's chicken then there's another banner separate from hell's chicken at the start of may. then we get chapter 4 part 1 and season 2 starts, and presumably the new event banner will be chapter 4 themed.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

hm. patch might need another patch. beat the first railway fight, screen went black and had to reboot the game.
probably a one-off, but we'll see

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Tingtang Hong Lu has gotten way better since they increased the coin odds on high SP. Weird to see meme man actually good rather than just very funny! I'd say he's still around average outside of a farming context because Gloom is so rare that he basically doesn't have a Zayin EGO, but he's definitely worth using in Luxcavations and Mirror Dungeon now.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, now that I realize, which identities besides R Heathcliff are used to speedrun Mirror Dungeon? Since now I have him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

helpful reminder that mirror dungeons get you more thread (or egoshards) per module than running thread dungeon past dailies

thread per real life minute spent? less so, but that's why God and Steve Wozniak invented alt tab

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

specifically three modules for four-plus-ish shards for a toon of your choice (7 battle pass ticks, you get six-ish shards at 10)

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Google Jeb Bush posted:

helpful reminder that mirror dungeons get you more thread (or egoshards) per module than running thread dungeon past dailies

thread per real life minute spent? less so, but that's why God and Steve Wozniak invented alt tab

i don't care i'm not doing calendar or robots manually ever again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eh, both of those just require extra button presses

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I imagine Thread issues will go away for quite a while when the season ends and we get the great auto-conversion, especially with new thread drops on the new Battle Pass. The question is whether Railway 2 will be right before season end, to motivate you to use what you've got. :v:

Oh, now that I realize, which identities besides R Heathcliff are used to speedrun Mirror Dungeon? Since now I have him.

R Corp Heathcliff, Tingtang Hong Lu, and Grip Faust are my starting three right now. There's probably a better third but the first two seem fairly set in stone. LCCB Ishmael and Kurokumo Hong Lu are good alternatives, and I usually grab G Corp Gregor as a fourth or fifth because his high attack value makes him very consistent and if you get a Sin resource item then Legerdemain speeds up the annoying end bosses (robots or calendar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I like Kurokumo Hong Lu because his second ability will erase an enemy for most of the dungeon and the third isn't far behind. First is meh but whatever.