Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think it's fair to say that the dvds look fine but the encode they did for paramount+ (and most other streaming services) is pretty bad. it's not that you can't make it look good — like i said, using the PAL dvds as a source is a bit of a pain in the rear end but worth it imo — it's that they clearly didn't even try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i think it's fair to say that the dvds look fine but the encode they did for paramount+ (and most other streaming services) is pretty bad. it's not that you can't make it look good — like i said, using the PAL dvds as a source is a bit of a pain in the rear end but worth it imo — it's that they clearly didn't even try

It'd be better, but the PAL versions are still second generation copies taken from the original NTSC tapes and the DVD versions have further generation loss from MPEG2 compression. Those who did the original PAL conversion just did a better job with the 3:2 pulldown process than the Paramount+ versions where they didn't account for different field orders from scene to scene. If a full blown remaster isn't an option, they'd be better off sourcing from the original tapes again, cleaning those up and performing pulldown correctly.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Remastered DS9 footage isn't a theoretical, I've seen it and it looks considerably better than the kind of margins you describe in that dumb video game example. The DVDs look bad by comparison, in my own judgement but also in terms of detail and visual quality in an objective sense. Actual objectivity, as in quantifiable, as in you can see it and measure it.

I'm a bit grumpy, but mostly at attitudes in the thread. The victimization and hurt feelings borne only from me expressing that I don't like the way a video looks and that I think work should be done to make it look better. It's pathetic.

No one’s upset that you want better looking versions of DS9 and VOY. Hell, I agree with you, a proper remaster would be great. People are upset because you keep belittling and insulting people who think the existing DVD and streaming versions are fine to good to watch.

Again, it’s not having an opinion on the quality of the DVD and streaming versions. You extended that to insulting the people who have different opinions about them. That’s a reasonable thing to be upset about.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not upset I just think he's a dumbass

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

No one’s upset that you want better looking versions of DS9 and VOY. Hell, I agree with you, a proper remaster would be great. People are upset because you keep belittling and insulting people who think the existing DVD and streaming versions are fine to good to watch.

No I'm not. Where are the insults (aside from saying "gently caress you", which didn't have anything to do with the argument as much as the way you've twisted it into some kind of attack on you). How am I talking down? Making arguments to support my case isn't belittling. That quote you snipped apparently pointing out such a thing was me describing how I watched DS9 for the first time.

I think the DVDs look bad, so do the showrunners apparently. Me saying this doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, that I think less of anyone who enjoys them or even that I can't enjoy them. I clearly did, since I've watched the show and enjoyed it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 7, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No Dignity posted:

I'm not upset I just think he's a dumbass

Gosh, what the hell did I even do to you? What do you have a problem with?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SCheeseman posted:

It'd be better, but the PAL versions are still second generation copies taken from the original NTSC tapes and the DVD versions have further generation loss from MPEG2 compression. Those who did the original PAL conversion just did a better job with the 3:2 pulldown process than the Paramount+ versions where they didn't account for different field orders from scene to scene. If a full blown remaster isn't an option, they'd be better off sourcing from the original tapes again, cleaning those up and performing pulldown correctly.

there is no pulldown on PAL

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Beeftweeter posted:

I'll pull YOU down, PAL!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

They performed pulldown when converting from NTSC to PAL. TNG, DS9 and VOY all did editing and composition on video with the resulting master being 480i NTSC, everything including the PAL versions are derived from that.

e: 480i NTSC > 3:2 pulldown > 480p@24hz > 4% speedup, frame doubling and vertical stretching > 576i PAL.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 7, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TIL Henry Mancini did an intensely late-70s cover of the TOS theme for an album of themes and it’s kinda great

https://youtu.be/xWAqpURRqos

late but this is clearly from the universe where the Enterprise-D was affectionately known as "the Love Boat"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SCheeseman posted:

I got these DVD sets from the UK back in the 90s

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I ripped mine from a friend's PAL box set about a decade ago, though he gave me the discs in one of those big floppy CD zip cases so I'm not sure what the boxes looked like.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Kesper North posted:

late but this is clearly from the universe where the Enterprise-D was affectionately known as "the Love Boat"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

:perfect:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The book "Vendetta" is a pretty good read if you want pre-voyager Borg. It also put forth that the Planet Killer in TOS was built as a Borg weapon, eating the scooped out planets the Borg left behind (this was when they still did that.)

It also has a great prologue about an arrogant species that was unbothered by an approaching Borg cube because they were sure their super advanced AI defense systems would keep them at bay and the AI instead had enough of the poo poo they asked it to do and immediately surrendered to the Borg, printing it one final message to the leaders of the planet

"AT LAST"

It also has someone rescued from the collective that didn't have as good an outcome as Picard.

It also has a Ferengi privateer that thought they were going to make mad profit negotiating with the Borg and ended up getting himself assimilated.

Oh god this book is so dumb. It's painful. Geordi is clearly about to pull another Brahms and some starfleet captain saved a bunch of colonists from death by evacuating them to his ship, then, with all those colonists onboard, fired on a ship that is clearly more powerful than his ship to protect houses.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

For the uninitiated: https://vimeo.com/503911661

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been watching Voyager and having a good time. People talk about how Janeway's cadence is different from Kirk, Picard, and Sisko's but I think it's in the same wheelhouse. There are those who have said that the men's performances feel informed by Shakespearean plays and I get that, but I think Mulgrew's performance as Janeway has a lot of influence from the theater of the 1950s or something like Death of a Salesman. It's a vibe I get.

Also, she's so whispery. If you disappoint her, she will whisper at you! At least that's my assessment having seen most of Season 1.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

Also, she's so whispery. If you disappoint her, she will whisper at you! At least that's my assessment having seen most of Season 1.

Piss off Kirk:

Piss off Picard: He turns away from you
Piss off Sisko: He screams at you
Piss off Janeway: She whispers at you

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 8, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mulgrew’s good. Janeway’s character writing is all over the place, but she works with it and has some deliveries for the ages

“I knooow”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Piss off Kirk:

Piss off Picard: He turns away from you
Piss off Sisko: He screams at you
Piss off Janeway: She whispers at you

Pissed off Archer: He goes to his room and cries when you're not around

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Get too close to Janeway and she'll hypnotize you by rapidly switching which of your eyes she's focusing on

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nine-gear crow posted:

Pissed off Archer: He goes to his room and cries when you're not around

He'll commit a war crime, but he'll feel real bad about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

skasion posted:

Mulgrew’s good. Janeway’s character writing is all over the place, but she works with it and has some deliveries for the ages

“I knooow”

"We all make our own hell, Mister Lessing. I hope you enjoy yours"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is what the dress uniform should have looked like instead of the starched poncho they had

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

This is what the dress uniform should have looked like instead of the starched poncho they had

The red and white does look equal parts classy AND "Welcome aboard my sexboat" :hmmyes:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I mean that's kind of how the FC era dress uniforms ended up looking

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

In hindsight, this uniform looks pretty well made for a one-off joke.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

In hindsight, this uniform looks pretty well made for a one-off joke.

It looks like it's a standard TNG uniform pattern but they used white fabric instead of black and used a more normal fabric and cut the arms short.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 8, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol I love the avatar, i've been here 16 years and I think that's the first time I've ever one bought for me!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No Dignity posted:

lol I love the avatar, i've been here 16 years and I think that's the first time I've ever one bought for me!

no dog in this fight but lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't want to fight I just want everyone to have nice things :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SCheeseman posted:

I don't want to fight I just want everyone to have nice things :(

Pretty sure everyone here is on board with that. I take more your side, to be real, but you have to admit there was some "angrily grabbing the remote to someone else's TV to fix the aspect ratio" energy going on. Like, you're right, but I can see where people would get a little defensive.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn't angrily grab. Politely grab.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Let's all just have a relaxing Worf's Calisthenics Program.

*grabs The Glove*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

skasion posted:

“I knooow”

I really adore her performance at the end of Tuvix, where she welcomes Tuvok and Neelix back, excuses herself and just for a moment in the corridor is extremely shaken by the fact that she just killed a man 'for the greater good'.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm near the end of a DS9 rewatch on Netflix and I can't say the quality is something I even notice once I'm into it. Would it be nice if it were cleaned up? Sure. Would I go "oh look how much clearer that is!" Probably. But I doubt it's going to significantly change the number of people that watch it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I only ever really noticed the quality in DS9 was the first couple of episodes. Especially the pilot where it looks like it was playing off a VHS at times, particularly the shot of them looking at the station from the shuttle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay here's my most controversial opinion from my TNG watch: "Sub Rosa" was a very good episode. That was a very fun Gothic horror story in Star Trek framing.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 9, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay here's my most controversial opinion from my TNG watch: "Sub Rosa" was a very good episode. That was a very fun Gothic horror story in Star Trek framing.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why there is a Scotland cosplay world