Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

i havent carried my wallet or cash on me in like 3 years now. sorry buskers but apple pay ftw

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1644339625589178368?s=20

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Walmart doesn't even have tap-to-pay in the year 2023.

They don’t want to pay for NFC card readers, make software changes to support it, or train associates on it. They have their own wallet and payment solution that is QR/App based. Any way to cut costs!

There’s also the fact that until recently lots of banks had limits on tap to pay transactions. Depending on the bank or terminal type, tap had to be under X $.

They won’t do it until the sunset dates for mag strips in the later part of this decade.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1644464382968209408?t=71ueuEm0fwr8ofnyJY-5xw&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the GOP is actually pro-life so they can have enough newborns to work jobs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

regarding batteries and oil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/climate/electric-cars-biden-climate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

looks like they might be trying to accelerate the transition even more.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ammanas posted:

going from a cc to a csu didn't really feel different, just more expensive. like the education and facilities quality were identical, but the csu was 4x more. then I couldn't get into a lynchpin course that my degree runs through in the middle of the tract for an entire year due to the # of students so i ended up basically wasting 2 semensters.

basically every day i regret not learning to be an electrician but whatever

Yup, I often call my CSU a community college with a bigger land grant.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1644478945117769728?t=WapAvkuXqJFWlqJGfejwxw&s=19
More workers soon to arrive.
https://twitter.com/Wertwhile/status/1644470904796196864?t=dQy0BSN0BxaI_JFVmXTFdA&s=19

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

actionjackson posted:

the GOP is actually pro-life so they can have enough newborns to work jobs

some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

i havent carried my wallet or cash on me in like 3 years now. sorry buskers but apple pay ftw

Do you drive your car without your license

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
in some states you can add your license to your apple wallet 🤯🤯🤯

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

slave to my cravings posted:

in some states you can add your license to your apple wallet 🤯🤯🤯

ah yes let me hand my phone over to a cop

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Is this the same Texas judge that just overturned the ACA (again)? If so, he's been busy.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

putting all my eggs in one basket is really convenient, i don't know why everyone says not to do that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

Do you drive your car without your license
yeah tho i have a photo of it. california cops don't do poo poo. i havent seen someone pulled over in like 3 years. but they can also lookup to confirm.

plus i don't get carded anymore

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

you can't spell trouble without rouble

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

quote:

Now, school kids make up the majority of the factory's 100-strong workforce.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/TheVertlartnic/status/1638519207527677955?s=20

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
... Well that was quick. I feel like this is going to have consequences that they really aren't going to realize were a possibility.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

sullat posted:

Is this the same Texas judge that just overturned the ACA (again)? If so, he's been busy.

He's been working on repealing the 13th amendment.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I tried community college when I was 20, penniless, had no car, was working a full time min wage poo poo job, and was living on a friend's couch/homeless and, wouldn't you know it, all of that chaos, difficulty, stress, malnourishment, undiagnosed depression/anxiety, and total abdication of adult help and direction in my life for the prior seven years lead to me having like five chain panic attacks and dropping out; a shocking and unexpected outcome!

Many years later, my wife finished grad school, got a good, stable job, and told me I should try going back to school if I wanted. It was terrifying and hard for someone who felt he didn't have what it took, but I managed to get scholarships and financial aid to do 2 years at a great local community college and transfer UC Davis to finish my last 2. Managed a 3.8 GPA throughout. Graduated with zero debt, a degree in a field I enjoy (digital media/cinema/videography), and a better understanding of myself and the world. Unfortunately, I graduated directly into the pandemic, so I couldn't get a job for a year, but then I got a great one in my field, and consider myself very fortunate.

I couldn't have done it without my wife being an incredible partner who basically said "I'll hold our life together while you do this, as long as you can do it without accruing debt." Not having to worry about rent, food, and transportation really made me understand why kids whose parents have money can easily get into and subsequently breeze through college, while the poor and disenfranchised rarely make it. Not having to worry about immediately servicing massive student debt also meant I could be a little more patient in getting a good job instead of needing to immediately take the first job in any field that would give me money.

Anyway that's my story, school shouldn't just be free, they should pay students to do it because it's very challenging and is socially a net good!

Look at the book nerd with his loving wife. NEEEEEERD!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Article one: Of course your stuff costs more! It's supply and demand, dummy!

Article two: Demand for labour outmatches supply. Here's why the answer is to hire kids at below minimum wage instead of attracting workers by offering higher wages.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

He's been working on repealing the 13th amendment.

Look at the book nerd with his loving wife. NEEEEEERD!

Lol I commented on an Instagram reel that my wife was my inspiration and hero because she's the best person I know and I got so many furious Andrew Tate guys in my replies over it and none of them could manage a way around my ironclad rebuke of "I am happily married to a beautiful woman and every day is a joy, you are single and getting mad underneath Instagram posts, why would anything you say about relationships have value to anyone"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Buck Turgidson posted:

Article one: Of course your stuff costs more! It's supply and demand, dummy!

Article two: Demand for labour outmatches supply. Here's why the answer is to hire kids at below minimum wage instead of attracting workers by offering higher wages.

dropping public schooling to kids is a great way to compete long term with china, askctually

frees up more funds for m1 abrams for cops and the next MIC wunderwaffe vapors

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Xaris posted:

yeah tho i have a photo of it. california cops don't do poo poo. i havent seen someone pulled over in like 3 years. but they can also lookup to confirm.

plus i don't get carded anymore

I don't know if it's an ABC thing, but around here new liquor licensees are all no DL scan no sale, even for the grayhairs :bahgawd:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Palladium posted:

dropping public schooling to kids is a great way to compete long term with china, askctually

frees up more funds for m1 abrams for cops and the next MIC wunderwaffe vapors

Every book that is made, every elementary school opened, every teacher hired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who shoot but do not have enough ammo, those who are stand watch and are not armored.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Saltpowered posted:

They don’t want to pay for NFC card readers, make software changes to support it, or train associates on it. They have their own wallet and payment solution that is QR/App based. Any way to cut costs!

There’s also the fact that until recently lots of banks had limits on tap to pay transactions. Depending on the bank or terminal type, tap had to be under X $.

They won’t do it until the sunset dates for mag strips in the later part of this decade.

Idk what walmarts you been to, but walmart terminals have been nfc capable for years now and use chip. There is another reason why it hasn't been done, fit isn't even costs as using walmart pay for a transaction costs them more, but because nfc cards usually have a different number for the nfc part and nfc phones randomize that number even further.

And they really like tracking purchases and shoppers on spreadsheets to find out what to sell or what to put for sale or not. But I am not sure how valuable that data really is

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

regarding batteries and oil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/climate/electric-cars-biden-climate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

looks like they might be trying to accelerate the transition even more.

Just like the California ban, I'll believe it when I see it. The only currently feasible option if the nation must have cars is to pump out hybrids because these big battery electrics don't work for the vast majority of people.

Pretend I did a big effort post on public transit but lol that won't happen.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

does anyone know who Michael Lind is and what his deal is?

https://twitter.com/sullydish/status/1644438113597419533

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
triangle of sadness is a good movie and right up this thread's alley

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

triangle of sadness is a good movie and right up this thread's alley
the problem with it is the last half sucks because it is very liberal determinism, that is the liberal ideology of communism is bad because people are fundamentally greedy and evil. poor people are the same as rich people

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean by that standard anything less would be even worse and free for all you know? Honestly given how easy it is to have people put in massive amounts of effort for trash governments and projects id imagine they can do the same if they ever find themselves born in a place that actually wants to succeed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

the problem with it is the last half sucks because it is very liberal determinism, that is the liberal ideology of communism is bad because people are fundamentally greedy and evil. poor people are the same as rich people

at least she gained her power through skill and knowledge instead of luck and inheritance

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

ok what the gently caress

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Celexi posted:

Idk what walmarts you been to, but walmart terminals have been nfc capable for years now and use chip. There is another reason why it hasn't been done, fit isn't even costs as using walmart pay for a transaction costs them more, but because nfc cards usually have a different number for the nfc part and nfc phones randomize that number even further.

And they really like tracking purchases and shoppers on spreadsheets to find out what to sell or what to put for sale or not. But I am not sure how valuable that data really is

Fun fact: they don’t need you to use Walmart Pay to track purchases and do analytics. They have all your credit information from Experian and can match any credit card transaction to a household.

Almost all assortment decisions are based on household info from traceable tender. It’s valuable enough that they’ve started selling anonymized aggregated versions of it to vendors.

Most other big box retailers are doing the same thing. They know where you live, how many people are in your household, your average income, demographics, and what products you like to purchase. If you use a credit or debit card, they know everything.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

SorePotato posted:

community college is just a longer-form scam and you dont even get a job at the end >:( just go to trade school :)

A lot of community colleges also offer trade programs. Mine in California offered welding courses, among others. These ARE the trade schools tons of folks advocate for.

skooma512 posted:

:same: I loved my community college and kinda scorn my CSU. It was way easier to sell books and meet people at community college because it was more compact, where the CSU is on a huge plot of land and everything is spaced out. 20 bux a unit at the CC. The CSU raised my tuition retroactively, so I had to pay more even after I had already paid for the semester, I made sure to note that when they hit me up for donations and despite not asking for removal or cussing at them, they never called me again lol.

It was the opposite for me. It helps that I lived in the dorms of my CSU my junior year (I didn't know anyone in LA at the time) and my CC was a ghost town in the reactionary shithole known as the High Desert.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I got my current job from community college, it was a pretty good deal since Pell Grants paid for the tuition, fees, and books

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's brilliant spin.

Much better than saying: "Because you're all a pack of thieves running out the doors with our goods, you'll now pay in advance and a packing robot will deposit your cardboard box of purchases at the door cargo slot while you wait, outside, and from the other side of several security barriers"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yeah. Work is fun kids!

What's that? Billy got his hand caught in the press? Oh well, silly Billy!

Suzy cover for Billy's shift tomorrow. He won't be coming back.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

err posted:

OpenAI has sponsored a UBI study

Wait what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

https://techcrunch.com/2023/02/21/the-non-profits-accelerating-sam-altmans-ai-vision/

Altman controls at least two nonprofits, OpenAI and OpenResearch, and has provided funding to a third, not previously reported, known as UBI Charitable.

UBI Charitable’s mission is to research and deploy Universal Basic Income (UBI) programs — the no-strings-attached payouts scheme that futurists like Altman and Musk believe will be necessary when advances in robotics and AI, similar to those being developed by the two technologists, render many human occupations unprofitable. It is already funding at least two UBI schemes.