Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
A YA novel read around 2005/6 about a girl who enters an exclusive prestigious high school full of rich people. She pals up with a group, one of the girls she befriends is called Kiran who I believe was the fashionable one. I don't think there was anything supernatural, just teen girl drama. I think it was a series. I'm UK, I think the book might've been UK-based too but not confident on that. Not much to go on, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Runcible Cat posted:

Sounds like Matheson's The Distributor: https://isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?72804

I’m pretty sure this is it. Thanks.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Science fiction book (I found at a dollar store maybe 20 years ago) centered on a perfectly normal woman who is in contact with psychic jellyfish who live in a tidal cave on an alien world.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

MrGreenShirt posted:

Science fiction book (I found at a dollar store maybe 20 years ago) centered on a perfectly normal woman who is in contact with psychic jellyfish who live in a tidal cave on an alien world.

Marge Piercy, Woman on the Edge of Time?

Bud Bear
Mar 30, 2023
Vaguely remember some kind of premise to do with everyone over 18 going bonkers all at the same moment across the entire world, not zombies just intensely murderous to anyone under 18 but still coherent. I remember the main character's name being Nick Aten

And him having a really dumb internal monologue about how he was destined to be a bad person because Aten rhymes with Satan.

Also they called the batshit adults "Mr. and Mrs. Creosote" for some reason, with groups being referred to as Creosotes?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MrGreenShirt posted:

Preternatural, Margaret Bonanno.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bud Bear posted:

Vaguely remember some kind of premise to do with everyone over 18 going bonkers all at the same moment across the entire world, not zombies just intensely murderous to anyone under 18 but still coherent. I remember the main character's name being Nick Aten

And him having a really dumb internal monologue about how he was destined to be a bad person because Aten rhymes with Satan.

Also they called the batshit adults "Mr. and Mrs. Creosote" for some reason, with groups being referred to as Creosotes?

Blood Crazy

Bud Bear
Mar 30, 2023

Hot drat, thanks. Read it as a teen and I wanna see if it's as bad as I remember.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

fritz posted:

Preternatural, Margaret Bonanno.

This is it! Fantastic!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

eating only apples posted:

A YA novel read around 2005/6 about a girl who enters an exclusive prestigious high school full of rich people. She pals up with a group, one of the girls she befriends is called Kiran who I believe was the fashionable one. I don't think there was anything supernatural, just teen girl drama. I think it was a series. I'm UK, I think the book might've been UK-based too but not confident on that. Not much to go on, sorry!

Oh, I think my sister read those! Was it the Private/Billings Girls series?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

froglet posted:

Oh, I think my sister read those! Was it the Private/Billings Girls series?

Hey, yeah! Lol how did I end up thinking it could be UK based when the main character is called Reed Brennan. Thanks!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New wave Sci-Fi story, written probably early 70s, I read it mid 80s.

Post apocalypse, environment destroyed and humans living in domed cities. There's a shuttle/plane crash going from one city to another and protagonist and partner are leading a rescue mission. Wild mutated dogs are guarding/shepherding the passengers, and a plot point is only heterosexual men that have a family should be let outside the city because the dogs are trying to shepherd humanity and see people who aren't reproducing the planet as a waste of resources.

I want to say was one of the sex weirdos from the time like Harlan Ellison or Piers Anthony, but could as easily have been Joe Haldeman or Ben Bova.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hughlander posted:

I want to say was one of the sex weirdos from the time

not narrowing it down man

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022
I believe this was a Scholastic book fair book from the early 90s, kind of in the same category as Where's Waldo books.

Every page had an illustration with some odd riddle or puzzle to solve. The first one was a large rustic looking kitchen with a flour bag ripped open and flour everywhere and you were supposed to deduce who created the mess (it was the dog, I think). There were also things to find on every page. In particular, I remember every puzzle had a country hidden somewhere in the picture. In the kitchen, it was a puddle on the floor shaped like Australia.

Google has failed me for years, but maybe someone here might remember.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It might be The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base. It’s been a long time since I seen it but it sounds like a match; he also did Animalia.

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022
That's not it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a ripoff of his books. It was extremely similar, but I believe it focused more on people and not anthropomorphized animals.

Regardless, thank you! This is far closer than I've managed to get on my own.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is it The Red Herring Mystery by Paul Adshead? I didn't read that myself, but the description seems to match. I had a few other books by him as a kid and that really sounds like his style.

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022
Another great guess, but it was definitely released earlier than that book. I had it in elementary school so it'd have to have been released prior to '92. I'll look into his other works though; it could be one of his.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I thought of another of those books but I’m fairly sure it’s not The Masquerade by Kit Williams, but that also lead me to discover the genre is called “armchair treasure hunt”. Maybe that will help.

edit: or not… “armchair treasure hunt” is those similar puzzle/picture books, but they lead to a real life treasure. Sorry!

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
The description puts me a little in mind of the For Eagle Eyes Only series by Rolf Heimann, although it's far from a perfect match.

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

Twilkitri posted:

The description puts me a little in mind of the For Eagle Eyes Only series by Rolf Heimann, although it's far from a perfect match.

No, you're dead on. Thank you! Took some digging, but https://www.ebay.com/itm/334472487842 this has a pic of the page talking about finding hidden countries.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This has all just reminded me of the Usborne Puzzle Adventures, which were very similar in ilk by the sounds of it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Twilkitri posted:

These books fuckin ruled

The_Doctor posted:

This has all just reminded me of the Usborne Puzzle Adventures, which were very similar in ilk by the sounds of it.

So did these, I had The Usborne Book of Superpuzzles

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I LOVED those books! I haven't thought about them in at least twenty years goddamn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I found Norman easily :coal:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The flat-fronted blue building with a flat roof

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Brawnfire posted:

flat roof, flat roof, flat roof! *jazz hands*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

EVER HEARD OF SPOILER TAGS, FUCKO?!?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think we've found a new Let's Play/Let's Read megathread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have that book in Finnish. The thread should be in Finnish so I can follow along.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Good we all agreed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have that book in Finnish. The thread should be in Finnish so I can follow along.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Voi mies, rakastin niitä kirjoja! En ole ajatellut niitä ainakaan kahteenkymmeneen vuoteen, hitto vieköön;

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pissipottinen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Nope. Look to the right. Flat front building CLOSE TO THE MONORAIL.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Voi mies?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Collection of horror stories I read as a kid in the 80s or 90s. I only remember one story:

Kid's house has a cellar you could access by stairs outside. In the cellar is an old desiccated corpse of something, I think it was the size of a toddler and might've had birdlike features? Kid was creeped out by it.

Somehow the kid manages to tumble down the stairs with the doors closing behind him. The last line of the story was "It was looking at him."

This story really stuck with me as a kid, I'd like to read it again some day

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
An action/detective series about a "specialized task force" of the Canadian Mounties, Special Section X maybe?. Sometimes dipped into a bit of the supernatural. The one I remember the most clearly dealt with a Zulu ghost or wizard or something hunting one the members who was descended from a survivor of Rorke's Drift. I do remember one of the main characters was called "Zinc" cause he was a young guy with silver hair.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Devils Avocado posted:

An action/detective series about a "specialized task force" of the Canadian Mounties, Special Section X maybe?. Sometimes dipped into a bit of the supernatural. The one I remember the most clearly dealt with a Zulu ghost or wizard or something hunting one the members who was descended from a survivor of Rorke's Drift. I do remember one of the main characters was called "Zinc" cause he was a young guy with silver hair.

Bit of Google-work turned up this.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Isolationist posted:

Book 1: Hunting a golden age (1940's-60's, at a guess) short story written similarly to Asimov, Clifford D Simak etc. Story centres on the pilot of a one-man Scout ship sent to explore a dust nebulae. Continual ships are sent out by humanity exploring space, however once people reach a certain distance from home they experience a psychological pull (a rubber-band) drawing them back to human space, either returning or going insane. In this story, the pilot is last in a long line of explorers who journey out into the unmappable dust cloud, looking for planets/suns etc. He proudly explains that he makes it up to xx days of outward-bound flight (much better than the other Joe Schmoes back at base!) before the jitteriness and paranoia of the homeward-pulling elastic band starts to kick in. Right where it starts getting terrible, he finds a planet and descends to land. He uses his trader computer systems to survey the planet, and lands in an open field. Quickly an alien ambles up and they start trying to talk - the human using a translation function on his hand held PC to build a vocabulary, with the alien handing over a small carved figurine. The alien displays a ridiculous intelligence by overhearing the discussion between the human and the PC and starts becoming fluent in English over the course of the communication. The PC alerts the trader human that the carved figurine is x.x billion years old, and this is an insanely advanced species. Story ends with the trader losing consciousness and waking up back in his ship with no memory (or electronic record) of the planet, but with a MASSIVELY increased pull towards home (the aliens want to be left alone by the jerky out-of-cloud crass humans).

Happened to run across this in my library today - this is Escape Felicity from The Worlds of Frank Herbert.

https://archive.org/details/worldsoffrankher0000unse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
(yes that's a nearly 6 year old post that's been bugging me the whole time)