Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

NG+ helps a lot with that because all the cosmetic chests are already opened. Still gotta collect the stims though, and all the items Cal does Force-seances over, if you want the xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Soonmot posted:

Yes, trying to navigate a few of those planets is why I never did a second playthrough. I loved the game, but the thought of going back and running through those ridiculous mazes using that lovely map stopped me before I left the swamp Bogano or whateve the swampplaneet is

I tapped out when I was at like 95% completion on the one planet where you learn force pull and realized I would need to go aaaall the way back down into that underground temple just to get whatever poncho or robot skin I missed and just could not be bothered

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly it didn't need full fast travel, it just needed each planet to have 2-3 landing points like Metroid Prime 3.

A "return to ship" fast travel, even if only accessible from meditation circles, would fix just about every problem I have with JFO

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor’s PC system requirements have been revealed.

quote:

Minimum System Requirements
RAM: 8Gb
CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 1400
GPU** AMD: Radeon RX 580
GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
Storage: 155Gb

*CPU alternate: Intel Core i7-7700
**GPU alternate: Nvidia GTX 1070

Recommended System Requirements
RAM: 16Gb
CPU Features: 4 core / 8 threads
CPU* AMD: Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU** AMD: RX 6700 XT
GPU Features: DX12, 8Gb VRAM
Storage: 155Gb SSD

*CPU alternate: Intel Core i5 11600K
**GPU alternate: Nvidia RTX2070
Looks like I’m going to have to sit this one out, alas.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jivjov posted:

A "return to ship" fast travel, even if only accessible from meditation circles, would fix just about every problem I have with JFO

The ship is a terrible jumping off point in Kashyyk and not without its problems on Zeffo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

fallen order install size was 55GB so 155GB for survivor is a lot

could all just be high res textures or whatever but i'm getting the feeling there could be a lot of game here

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of that file size in uncompressed audio in every language the game supports, which a ton of studios have been doing for the past decade and is annoying as gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011
Respawn is the studio that had a separate install UI for their games audio after all, Titanfall 1 I think?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah Titanfall 1 was where I first noticed this, something like 30 out of the 55 GB install size was just alternate language audio. That separate install UI must have come later, I don't remember it being there in 2014-2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m almost certain it was there on release but yeah point being that studios got at least a little lazy when everyone ended up with 4TB HDDs and just never stopped.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

fallen order install size was 55GB so 155GB for survivor is a lot

could all just be high res textures or whatever but i'm getting the feeling there could be a lot of game here

This is Respawn: it could very well be 110GB of uncompressed audio files… :nallears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is Respawn: it could very well be 110GB of uncompressed audio files… :nallears:
I feel like game developers haven't heard of FLAC or any of the other lossless audio compression tools. I mean, poo poo, throw them in a zip file/pk3 and get even the moderate amount of compression that it provides.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also who the gently caress is asking for uncompressed audio for dialogue in a video game? why do we need this?

compress that poo poo down to mp3 no one's going to notice

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

also who the gently caress is asking for uncompressed audio for dialogue in a video game? why do we need this?

compress that poo poo down to mp3 no one's going to notice

In fairness, the audio dialogue and NPC banter was one of the best parts of OG Titanfall... :hai:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

In fairness, the audio dialogue and NPC banter was one of the best parts of OG Titanfall... :hai:

but does it really need to be in 96000Hz 32bit WAV?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume it was talked about initially but I'm getting around to this fashionably late and what is up with Kid Cal's face oh my god

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Orv posted:

I assume it was talked about initially but I'm getting around to this fashionably late and what is up with Kid Cal's face oh my god

Lol, I think it's impossible for developers not to make kid versions of their characters look like potato-faced goobers for some reason.

See also Kid Aloy in HZD

Orv
May 4, 2011
I imagine it's as bad as hair used to be (and kinda still is) but it was super funny getting into the wall run tutorial and turning the camera around and that. He looks older as a kid which is an accomplishment.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

:wtf:

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

quote/av combo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Reminds me of the joke: "Let game developers go home to their families and remember what kids look like"

"slightly dumpier version of adult face" is not the right answer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the adult faces in fallen order weren’t much better. something was hinky with the motion capture

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the adult faces in fallen order weren’t much better. something was hinky with the motion capture

Much as I am really enjoying it, everything about the game from animations to mocap both facial and movement, VFX, SFX all screams "This was made in half the time it needed."

Still fun though.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I think it's impossible for developers not to make kid versions of their characters look like potato-faced goobers for some reason.

See also Kid Aloy in HZD

Couldn’t they find pictures of the actor as an actual child?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Couldn’t they find pictures of the actor as an actual child?

Maybe they did, thinking back, I guess I was kind of a potato-faced goober when I was a little kid too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Children in Star Wars games have a proud tradition of being little loving freaks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Aloy and Ciri are probably the two weirdest looking kids in vidya james.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone never played Cyberpunk 2077.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Though they were only a silhouette, the kid at the end of Mass Effect 3 (the one who talks with "grandpa" Buzz Aldrin) is just a shrunken adult with un-childlike proportions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

isk posted:

Though they were only a silhouette, the kid at the end of Mass Effect 3 (the one who talks with "grandpa" Buzz Aldrin) is just a shrunken adult with un-childlike proportions

Which is even more surreal since they have a prominent kid model they use at multiple major points throughout the game!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They look very similar, now that I think about it. Though Witcher 3 in general has a lot of profoundly weird looking children. They all have the same weird thing going on with their faces.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What a weird non-character from a side movie to pull in, of all things. (Saw.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Orv posted:

What a weird non-character from a side movie to pull in, of all things. (Saw.)

That was kinda funny. He was on one of the animated tv shows too, though, I'm guessing he's at the intersection of recognizable names and affordability for voice roles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you can get Forest Whitaker you get Forest Whitaker.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Better Call Saw

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

When you can get Forest Whitaker you get Forest Whitaker.

No argument there but that character was just such nothing. Ten, fifteen lines? Mostly useless background info and knowing nerds the weird alien monster he had ended up with a bigger Wookipedia entry.

More on the game front I actually really like how this game is laid out, though I think I'm probably considerably kinder on it in that regard because I'm doing exactly zero extraneous exploration. Doing it that way means that each level so far has a very Dark Souls 2 feel of just out and back, clear up the problems, come back into the hub, here The Mantis and off to the next spoke. It's neat but I would probably lose my goddamn mind if I wasn't just critical pathing it.

E: Though I guess if I'm going to hold Star Wars to account for useless throwaway characters I'm way, way too late.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 8, 2023

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Saw seems to be an iconic "new" rebel character they're pushing as a crossover in various Disney Star Wars properties.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pwnstar posted:

I've been replaying this one and the whole Dark Side = Empire thing is getting to me.

"My mentor was tortured by Space Nazis into giving up my position, leading them to torture me in turn. She was morally wrong to give in to the despicable Space Nazis, therefore my only option was to become a Space Nazi in order to kill her"

I got the impression that there was an extreme amount of brainwashing involved. That's not something that could be overcome without some serious deprogramming. Trying to logic Trilla out of it or appeal to emotion had no chance of working. If anything, she's a victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

Someone never played Cyberpunk 2077.

:wtf: