Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Been playing more of Immortality Idle. It is quite strange and I am still unsure if I like it. The fact that the character needs to eat somehow changes my mental image from other idles, and that leads to things being dumb in a funny way.

So, because the those fast autoresets reset your stats below the minimum for effective jobs, I need to use lower jobs for longer aft streches.
So, yesterday my character spent a few thousand years working unskilled oddjobs for 11/12 day workweeks while squatting in run down tent and dying of old age at 30.
This morning I upgraded to a more effective set of jobs with all attribute gain. Because his income increased he had enough money to afford a comfortable home. But, because I was afk he never even bought a blanket. While thieves ran off with enough money that they must have used wheelbarrows to haul of all the silver that I carelessly stored next to my tent.
Anyway now that I have unlocked the first life extensions and automatisations the game has changed a lot, I feel for the better. Makes me really love USI's approach of separating the automation resource from the rest of the resources.

Now I seem to need spirit gems for that ascension, and I am not sure how to get those effectively. I get some randomly from fighting sometime, but it looks like I have to manually mash the "look for trouble" button to get those in a realistic timescale. Anybody got any tips I overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The game did have a fairly mixed reception in the thread. A manual does unlock to automate that, though I didn't recall the threshold; a post in the thread reminded me to look in the achievements, though. Killing 131 foes unlocks the manual that allows you to automate troublemaking.

I also did turn up this post from the thread with some info on some of the manuals already written up if you don't mind spoiling yourself some:

Inadequately posted:

Immortality Idle: Something I haven't seen mentioned yet (possibly from the newest version?): getting Spirituality over 100K immediately gives you a massive life boost - it's been about 138 years, which makes it fairly easy to start breaking past 300 years when combined with alchemy and good food. It took me about 300 years exactly to get a level 16 monster gem, and that was by combining my way up from every level 12/13 gem drop I got, and one-shotting monsters from the very beginning with an inherited weapon.

Going through all three Ascension options unlocked Followers, so I'm going to see what that's about. I managed to unlock Mana, but I haven't yet managed to cultivate enough mana to do anything notable with it.

Also, some useful thresholds from the achievements I've gotten so far (spoilered in case anyone wants to work those out for themselves):

Book of speed/superspeed/hyperspeed: Live 10 years/live 100 years/live 88 lives
Automatically use items: Use 888 items
Autosell items: Fill entire inventory
Uncap item limit once/twice/thrice: Throw away 10K/100K items (let your inventory fill up and excess will be thrown away). Third tier requires having a lot of materials, don't know exact amount.
Automatically drink potions/use pills: Drink 88 potions/eat 88 pills
Automatically Look for Trouble: kill 131 monsters
Automatically merge weapons/Auto-equip strongest weapon: Wield a metal and wood weapon, each with over 131/8888 power (note that Auto-equip does not auto-merge weapons so you'll still have to drag them down to your inventory to merge, it really just saves you one click) As of the latest version it works how you'd expect and automerges with your current equipment.
Automatically merge armor/Auto-equip strongest armor: Wear four armor pieces, each with over 131/8888 durability(note that Auto-equip does not auto-merge weapons so you'll still have to drag them down to your inventory to merge, it really just saves you one click) As of the latest version it works how you'd expect and automerges with your current equipment.
Automatically buy land and turn it into fields: Have 888 fields

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

and no it's not a nazi thing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xand_Man posted:

and no it's not a nazi thing

8 is considered to be good fortune in China, it's the equivalent to 7's in the US.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked Immortality Idle up through the original endgame immortal challenge thingies that required me to spend most of a (very long) lifetime setting things up only to fail right near the end for no discernable reason and offered no discernable reward

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I dropped Immortality Idle a while back because the dev kept rebalancing things on a nearly daily basis and kept mucking up all my setups. I'd have to start from scratch to get used to the flow of things, and at that point I might as well just pick up something else.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zyxyz posted:

more Evolvechat: I'm now four planets in and thinking of going for my first blackhole run (prob on 0* bc :effort:), does this spread w/43 phage look good enough for it or should I grind a bit more first?

the only other thing giving me pause rn is that bioseeding off my current planet would get me a bunch of new greatness achievements (flare/mellow/swamp/fey) that presumably wouldn't pop for bh since the wiki says it counts as extinction instead, idk what the odds are like on rolling some of those again later on to make up for it though

Go for it. When you BH I heavily suggest picking either heavy or evil as your next universe to simplify things.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm a fan of Antimatter as 2nd universe, since the Weak Mastery gene wouldn't affect you as much, and you can pick up some Anti-Plasmids (1500-3000), get the first level of Bleed, and get out of there and then have the permanent buffs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do I need to 4* the races in Evolve, or can I get away with just silver-staring them? I pushed into the evil-verse and really don't want to have to suffer through 4* challenges more than I have to.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Do I need to 4* the races in Evolve, or can I get away with just silver-staring them? I pushed into the evil-verse and really don't want to have to suffer through 4* challenges more than I have to.

You don't need to 4* them, no. Most people will do 2 or 3 stars for a while, especially in a new universe where your mastery is lower. But, once you're blackhole resetting you're pretty much free to do anything. The next reset may be outside your patience for a while, but doing some of the challenges might be fun - which means you want to look up whether they give different rewards based on the difficulty because some are very worth doing gold star runs.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Chakan posted:

You don't need to 4* them, no. Most people will do 2 or 3 stars for a while, especially in a new universe where your mastery is lower. But, once you're blackhole resetting you're pretty much free to do anything. The next reset may be outside your patience for a while, but doing some of the challenges might be fun - which means you want to look up whether they give different rewards based on the difficulty because some are very worth doing gold star runs.

Also eventually there's no reason *not* to do 4* MAD runs because they're not much slower than 0*.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Reasons to 4*:

- The thing you want to do just automatically forces you into a 4* run anyway (earliest example being Valdi).
- The perk rewards have unique effects for each star level of difficulty, rather than just being a linear scaling like 5/10/15/20/25% better.
- You're personally choosing to 4* anyway for your own reasons.

Otherwise you can do things on lower difficulty if you don't mind getting accordingly lower rewards as a result, though there's very little reason to go below 2* (junk gene and no manual trade both end up being so inconsequential that it's basically free rewards).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
City Idle: I feel like I do not understand the fetching system. Resourcing places stay full, while things in range that use those resources are empty. It#s doing my head in.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Bloodly posted:

City Idle: I feel like I do not understand the fetching system. Resourcing places stay full, while things in range that use those resources are empty. It#s doing my head in.

You mean like the markets? They will collect things from generators in range, if they're >33% full but won't deliver anything. This isn't symmetrical, a market will pick up items from way further away than people will collect from the market. It's easy to look at the range of a source and assume that a sink's in range, but you need to ensure the sink's lines that show up when you click on it have circles on the sources you want.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Buildings that process resources won't stock up on them unless you're over-producing because employees will preferentially create outputs over fetch resources, so the only times they'll ever fetch resources is if there's not enough to produce a single unit or if the output is already full so they don't have a higher priority task. Even if your carry weight is more than enough for multiple outputs per delivery then they will simply fetch less often rather than fill up the input.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So now that I've wrapped Evolve Idle, I'm finally looking for another game. Everyone's been referring to it by an acronym, so what's "USI"? It sounds neat.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Unnamed Space Idle.

https://rankith.itch.io/unnamed-space-idle-prototype

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vil posted:

Reasons to 4*:

- The thing you want to do just automatically forces you into a 4* run anyway (earliest example being Valdi).
- The perk rewards have unique effects for each star level of difficulty, rather than just being a linear scaling like 5/10/15/20/25% better.
- You're personally choosing to 4* anyway for your own reasons.

Otherwise you can do things on lower difficulty if you don't mind getting accordingly lower rewards as a result, though there's very little reason to go below 2* (junk gene and no manual trade both end up being so inconsequential that it's basically free rewards).

I pushed for an early-ish black hole (100-odd phage) and tried to do a 4* Salamander run, and it was just so painfully slow that I had to tap out. I'll wait until I have more things bought from plasmid/phage before I take another swing at the regular race 4* challenges. Good to know I can get by with just 2*/3* challenges for now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Thanks. This has made my post-meeting work day go pretty quick.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Only four red items left to get infinite. :getin:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In trimps

I need 20 spirestones

how do i get thoses?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

In trimps

I need 20 spirestones

how do i get thoses?

Clearing the spire and recycling spire cores.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Clearing the spire and recycling spire cores.

ok, i clear the spire at lvl 200 but never get a core? is it only lvl 300?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Meskhenet posted:

In trimps

I need 20 spirestones

how do i get thoses?

The first time you slay the spire, you get 20 spirestones. Each subsequent time you slay the spire, you get a Spire Core heirloom that can be either equipped or recycled into 20 spirestones.

They don't give you a Core the first time because they figure they're already dumping enough new info on you at once.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive only got my

Ethereal shield and ethereal staff in heirlooms.

Ive portaled multiple times since building my own spire, so ive done the 200 spire multiple times?

DO i need to get to lvl 300?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Meskhenet posted:

Ive only got my

Ive portaled multiple times since building my own spire, so ive done the 200 spire multiple times?

That's odd. You should be getting Spire Cores from the 200 spire (higher-tier spires like 300 drop better cores worth more spirestones). Have you actually killed cell 100 of the Spire on the subequent portals, rather than falling off and completing the normal, not-spire-overlaid zone 200 instead? I can't think why else you wouldn't be getting them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

is there a way to go back and do the spire? (i probably pass through in the offline bit.)

But i know ive been throught he spire with the yellow squarey things a few times since building my own spire

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I used auto trimps to pop me into maps when it reaches a spire, it also works during the offline speedup with whatever settings you have which is neat.

There's probably some challenge unlocked setting to pop into maps at certain points isn't there?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

pixaal posted:

I used auto trimps to pop me into maps when it reaches a spire, it also works during the offline speedup with whatever settings you have which is neat.

There's probably some challenge unlocked setting to pop into maps at certain points isn't there?

Map at Zone, which unlocks before you get to the first Spire (dropped by one of the Bionic Wonderlands I think).

Meskhenet posted:

is there a way to go back and do the spire?

Only by portaling.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
In USI I am at around 3300 Distance so just short of the Bomb Launcher.

What weapons & shields are best to use. I am currently running 3 Kinetic and a Beam and then 2 Bulk generators. I have tried a few other combinations but nothing stands out as being much better than the others.

Once I hit 3500 and get the Bomb Launcher does that change anything as far as what I should run?

I truly play this game as an idler so its sits and does it own thing most of the time in a background window.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trastion posted:

In USI I am at around 3300 Distance so just short of the Bomb Launcher.

What weapons & shields are best to use. I am currently running 3 Kinetic and a Beam and then 2 Bulk generators. I have tried a few other combinations but nothing stands out as being much better than the others.

Once I hit 3500 and get the Bomb Launcher does that change anything as far as what I should run?

I truly play this game as an idler so its sits and does it own thing most of the time in a background window.
bomb launcher sucks, it's missile launcher but worse

best things to use are either missile launchers on their own merits or 1-2 gatling laser backed up by 4-5 charge lasers with full range synergy, gatling laser is currently the overtuned broken weapon

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

best things to use are either missile launchers on their own merits or 1-2 gatling laser backed up by 4-5 charge lasers with full range synergy, gatling laser is currently the overtuned broken weapon

Really? I'm up to zone 48 and I'm still using 3x bomb, 3x missile, 2x deflector, 1x continuous generator.

Is there a better loadout for "almost all the way through current content"?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ok but I don't have missile launchers at all yet and I only have 4 slots. Would 4 Gatling Lasers be the best then?

I have Laser Cannon v1 & v2, Gatling Laser v1 & v2, Charge Laser v1 & v2, Beam Laser v1 & v2 and Kinetic Cannon v1.

Bomb Launchers are the next thing that unlocks when I hit 3500 distance according the the bar on the Ship Prestige tab.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

Ive only got my

Your trimps might be failing the spire if you're not paying attention? If 10 groups die in the spire, you exit the spire without completing it. To prevent this, there's a setting to map when you get to the spire.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

and the claw won! posted:

Your trimps might be failing the spire if you're not paying attention? If 10 groups die in the spire, you exit the spire without completing it. To prevent this, there's a setting to map when you get to the spire.

om i will map when at spire, that must be it

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Someone brought up Magic Research a few months back when there was only a demo available for PC, but now that I've played the full game for a few weeks I wanted to give it a publicity bump. It's pretty good, and the demo gives you a good idea of what to expect for the full game.

Another poster described it as being like Kittens game, and that's true, but I'd say that only makes up about ~1/3 of the game. On top of managing a (for-profit :ssh:) school, you also have a dungeoncrawling game to unlock new features and earn upgrade currency. You could sort of liken it to adventure mode in NGU but the spellcasting gives it a bit more depth. Your spell research gives you access not only to combat buffs and spells, but also to crafting equipment to aid in the dungeoneering. Typically you're choosing between equipment to help your spellcasting mana supply and equipment for killing things and pushing bosses.

I think the most rewarding feature is how quests are implemented in the game. Quests give permanent rewards that persist through future retirements (prestiges), but with a catch: most bonuses won't be in effect until you do eventually retire. This gives your retirement screen a nice list of "Here's all the cool new buffs you'll get from now on" that really helps take away the sting of starting over in these games. Many quests also give a choice of multiple rewards, allowing you to get each reward whenever you repeat the quest on future runs. For example, one quest lets you choose from some of your buildings to persist between runs, which significantly helps the early game.

The spell research system, on top of giving you the spells that actively help in every part of the game, also function as a permanent numerical bonus between each retirement, like "number" from NGU. Each run you select a school of spells (enchantment, conjuration, etc) to be your primary school, and for that run the research points needed to level up that school is reduced. At the end of the run, the highest level you reach in that school is recorded and kept in future runs, keeping the research leveling curve up to that level as if it were your primary school (edit: further testing proved this to not be true), and contributing to an overall bonuses to building/clicking productivity and research rate. It's a good system that has upsides to both wanting to get as high a research level as possible each run, but also to rotate between the schools to get the overall level high.

Apprentices allow you to auto-cast spells very early on, but you're limited both by number of students to assign to spells and the total amount of mana you can generate for them. Keeping apprentices on buff auto-casts as soon as they would expire is a no-brainer, but do you then sit the rest on resource generation spells to build your school faster, or have them automatically chuck fireballs to dungeoncrawl faster? Maybe have them spam healing on you so you can push a boss you wouldn't normally be able to beat? You're changing them around constantly (note: there are loadouts) based on your needs at the time.

One of the best spells to assign them to is Conjure Building. This spell just automatically creates a structure at random that you have the resources for. This helps to address the way-too-active part of kittens game- you don't have to sit around and wait for your wood to build back up to make another warehouse, you can set your apprentices to do it for you until you can't build any more with your current resource caps. Since it chooses randomly it isn't as efficient as doing it yourself, but it allows you to AFK and come back to over an hour of progress rather than just how long it takes to build to your resource cap.

tl;dr- demo good, game good, available on steam/iOS/android.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2023

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Trastion posted:

Ok but I don't have missile launchers at all yet and I only have 4 slots. Would 4 Gatling Lasers be the best then?

I have Laser Cannon v1 & v2, Gatling Laser v1 & v2, Charge Laser v1 & v2, Beam Laser v1 & v2 and Kinetic Cannon v1.

Bomb Launchers are the next thing that unlocks when I hit 3500 distance according the the bar on the Ship Prestige tab.

You want to run at least one bomb launcher once you get it because immediately after you unlock it, you'll come across slow moving sniper enemies that take too long to enter the range of the rest of your weapons.

IIRC during that time I ran bomb, beam, kinetic, kinetic.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wow, leaving the antimatter dimension in Evolve takes forever. I've been here for over a week (I think). I'm just finishing up putting exotic matter into the black hole, but even that probably won't be done until midday tomorrow. I can't wait to be rid of the place.

I did go to the Slow Dimension For Idle Players so I can't really complain that much, of course. I certainly got what was advertised.

I'll probably keep doing 4*s after. I'll miss the giant plasmid bonus but at this point I can go without it. And everything will feel faster than this! I guess I'll go to Heavy next?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Manyorcas posted:

Someone brought up Magic Research a few months back when there was only a demo available for PC, but now that I've played the full game for a few weeks I wanted to give it a publicity bump. It's pretty good, and the demo gives you a good idea of what to expect for the full game.
Thanks for bringing it up, I actually bought it last week but couldn't play it because I only had my Mac and it inexplicably released as Windows-only even though it looks like an HTML game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

nrook posted:

I'll probably keep doing 4*s after. I'll miss the giant plasmid bonus but at this point I can go without it. And everything will feel faster than this! I guess I'll go to Heavy next?

I went to evil after antimatter to cross out the angelic races. Evil is mostly a reskin of standard. Started doing 4* there and now at around 80% mastery I'm going to heavy (will probably do the decay challenge on the way out).