Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
hmmph i wonder why the driver didn't see the bollard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Palladium posted:

hmmph i wonder why the driver didn't see the bollard

i can almost guarantee the driver has no conception whatsoever of a bollard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in america bollards are plastic and bend under the car.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think American cars are just trying to get high enough to just drive over the bollards. Evolutionary arms race, but dumber.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That’s a shoo-in for Bollard Of The Week.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Can we post the person throwing paint all over the Aston Martin dealership because it rules

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/08/sport/ethan-boyes-death-cycling/index.html

quote:

Cycling champion Ethan Boyes dies after being struck by a car in San Francisco

quote:

Boyes was cycling on Arguello Boulevard, south of Washington Boulevard in San Francisco's Presidio Park, at around 4 pm on Tuesday when a car hit him, according to United States Park Police on Saturday. The park police responded to the scene. Boyes was transferred to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead, U.S. Park Police told CNN.
The driver of the vehicle was also transported to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

The separation of the driver/vehicle is just as bad as the language used when cops shoot someone.

It doesn't matter how good of a cyclist you are, some loving rear end in a top hat in a car will get you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

a car hit him, all on its own

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

a car hit him, all on its own

Ah, a Tesla.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did he do anything to provoke the car, though?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes, he angered it by not wearing reflective clothing

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BonHair posted:

I think American cars are just trying to get high enough to just drive over the bollards. Evolutionary arms race, but dumber.

I will build a bollard to pierce the heavens

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Tendales posted:

I will build a bollard to pierce the heavens

They're called trees.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Can we post the person throwing paint all over the Aston Martin dealership because it rules

we already discussed shocking imagery. if it's really necessary to share scenes of violence, don't embed it for goodness sake. :thumbsdown:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

did they stay around long enough to get arrested? and were they using water or oil based paint?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Reminder that SF traffic police were found to be writing a whole 10 tickets a day between 45 of them.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/bayarea/heatherknight/article/sfpd-traffic-tickets-17355651.php

(yeah it's a national park and they don't have jurisdiction, but cops in sf are beyond useless)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If their face is blurred

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

bedpan posted:

did they stay around long enough to get arrested?

yeah they did which IMO is bad tactics, they also showed their face and gave a little speech. Not necessary and will make it hard to strike again!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

yeah they did which IMO is bad tactics, they also showed their face and gave a little speech. Not necessary and will make it hard to strike again!

how is getting arrested supposed to help anything? why spray the paint on the building and not the cars?

I don't understand this action

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

speng31b posted:

i can almost guarantee the driver has no conception whatsoever of a bollard

malcom gladwell wrote this about the indians in America who, unable to conceive of a manmade structure so large, were completely blind to approaching ships on the ocean

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

what a dumbass

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

bedpan posted:

how is getting arrested supposed to help anything? why spray the paint on the building and not the cars?

I don't understand this action

people not so good at the art of war

edit: also kind of just a manifestation of more liberalism, we just have to convince the bad people that their ways are wrong!

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Apr 9, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just Stop Oil, like Extinction Rebellion, aren't really productive as far as protest is concerned, and the former being funded by billionaire heiress Aileen Getty makes some suspect that they are "an op", but it's germane to this thread as far as cars getting owned, even if the overall effect is mostly just fueling twitter hot takes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol

https://twitter.com/cbschicago/status/1644822514273595394?t=zM-VRgZ-vojlZdmLhK8NIw&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

Yep, we don't like something so let's vandalize it! Typical liberals. If they can't worship it, eat it, or screw it, they destroy it. Liberals, the locusts if the human race

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If you can't eat it, worship it. if you can't worship it, gently caress it. if you can't gently caress it, destroy it. -saul alinsly rules for radicals

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

There's a lot of spots in Chicago where you can park except during rush hour , when the extra lane of traffic is super needed!!!! And towing is nearly instant. I got got multiple times over the years due to this, mainly because I didn't have a stable 9-5 m-f and would sometimes forget which was a weekend vs weekday

So yeah great to see abandoning cars in a bike lane doesn't get a tow when milliseconds of parking in a car lane does

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I honestly think that might be projection

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Milo and POTUS posted:

I honestly think that might be projection

Self reflection, ascktually

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

malcom gladwell wrote this about the indians in America who, unable to conceive of a manmade structure so large, were completely blind to approaching ships on the ocean

malcolm gladwell is a loving moron

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Should have flipped it into the car lane imo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

cool racist anecdote, but lets keep it on topic. maybe something about black drivers and winter weather next time, hmm?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every civilization has made structures larger than a carrack. theyre called hills. but i can believe it because carracks look like looney tunes ships.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah I almost got Tiny Dinky Daffy'd (pancaked by a garbage truck) on my way home from work yesterday morning.

I was walking down the sidewalk with my headphones in and looked down an alleyway to my right and this guy was just gunning it in reverse. I stepped back and kinda stuck my head back out a bit to see if he'd seen me or was planning to slow down at all, but nope. He just hauled rear end out of there into a reverse three-point turn, but paused for long enough that I got some angry words in about the existence of his loving mirrors. I also made a hand gesture that's obscene in places like northern Italy.

Honestly didn't know garbage trucks could go that fast in reverse.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i have a fractured rib because a car used the bike lane that i was in. i guess cars are better than me.

edit:it's a hairline fracture, i'm actually totally fine i'm just in moderate pain and can't turn to the side very well and have to consciously breathe deeply and stuff because apparently not breathing deeply when you have a rib fracture causes pneumonia

fermun has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Apr 9, 2023

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

BeeSeeBee posted:

Reminder that SF traffic police were found to be writing a whole 10 tickets a day between 45 of them.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/bayarea/heatherknight/article/sfpd-traffic-tickets-17355651.php

(yeah it's a national park and they don't have jurisdiction, but cops in sf are beyond useless)

ITT we're pro cop and anti worker.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hubick/status/1644401384467607554?t=Lrisr-qaNR8Q0_UN8mhoEA&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you live in the US it is admittedly probably not beneficial for your mental health to realize how terrible all this stuff is because it's everywhere you go

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like to have pleasant conversations when i go on walks with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

i like to have pleasant conversations when i go on walks with my wife

It's true that libs prefer a negative peace