Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

So edgy. :allears: A lot of people were moved by that moment and you weren't. That makes you smarter than them!

Sorry I didn't like a movie you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spookydonut posted:

Even if they don't want straight up mara jade you could still have some former emperor's agent as not mara jade.

I feel like they're already building this up with that agent that worked for Gideon popping up again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like they're already building this up with that agent that worked for Gideon popping up again.

Katy O’Brian is extremely jacked I can’t wait till she just shows up with a lightsaber or maybe battle armor and beats the poo poo out of Mando

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Talon Karrde of this continuity is Boba. Mob boss/feudal lord/rear end kicker outside the law. And he knows all the bad dudes too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Neo Rasa posted:

lmao i hope not katy is super gay

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

Christopher plummer

Uh...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In case you missed it, the Making of Andor S1 panel is 2:26:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyIHhK2VKvQ

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Sorry I didn't like a movie you like.
If you get to be a smartass about a movie and it's just jokes, I get to be a smartass about your post and it's just jokes too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone not liking something you do isn’t a personal attack. Relax.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jesus Livid, it's not edgy or an act of superiority to think part (or all) of a film sucked, even if other people liked it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm just tired of cynicism and sometimes I get overzealous. I'm sorry.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LividLiquid posted:

I'm just tired of cynicism and sometimes I get overzealous. I'm sorry.

You need to rethink what cynicism and earnestness really represent. Is there a more cynical method of creating art than making 'cinematic universes'?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Look, Disney can do some amazing things with AI these days

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Look, Disney can do some amazing things with AI these days

And yet there was no Leslie Neilson working with the police droids

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jesus Christ, take the W will ya'?!

The cynicism is that we really fuckin' needed somethin' to bring people together to experience something positive together that year and being in a theater full of cheering people all escaping together in the exact same way was an incredibly beautiful moment in time and needlessly making GBS threads on it to announce how much better you are than everybody else for not giving a poo poo harder than them is absolutely something I've encountered past my limit with that poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

The cynicism is that we really fuckin' needed somethin' to bring people together to experience something positive together that year and being in a theater full of cheering people all escaping together in the exact same way was an incredibly beautiful moment in time and needlessly making GBS threads on it to announce how much better you are than everybody else for not giving a poo poo harder than them is absolutely something I've encountered past my limit with that poo poo.

Had the world gone to poo poo or something by April 2019 in some way that I'm unaware of?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Three years earlier and every day since.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

How about Amanda Plummer? She's been killing it on the Picard show, just an amazing performance every time she's in front of the camera.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Hey, no, totally. I get where you're coming from. Life can really suck.

I don't think that's quite what was happening here, but nah, I get it. Sorry you're having a rough time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I was depressed as hell when I saw Bill and Ted 3 in a drive in and I got pretty emotional at that ending when everybody around the universe was playing instruments, but that doesn’t stop me from recognizing that the film was kind of a turd when all’s said and done.

What I’m saying is, Avengers 4 is a bad movie, OP. You don’t need to feel bad about it. It’s no reflection on you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, Endgame was dope. You're in the minority if you think it sucked, I'm sorry you don't realize that. It was lots of fun to watch in the theatre too.

Anyway, Star Wars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Star Wars?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ah, boy….

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I really need to catch up on my other shows so I can talk to other people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Off-hand thought about Ahsoka and the Ghost crew; Reckon there's any chance we see the Bendu again?

Marsupial Ape posted:

I really need to catch up on my other shows so I can talk to other people.

Don't come back til you've finished Rebels! :goonsay:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I am caught up on everything. That’s the problem.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'll say that I am flabbergasted by the MCU. There are a few isolated movies I enjoy discretely, but I cannot jive with the overarching arcs, and Avengers Endgame is still just an unrecognizable mass culture artifact to me.

But the instant Star Wars starts to do the same thing, it's fine to me actually.

Part of this is probably because what comics I did care about were Star Wars (Tales of the Jedi and Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire were great) and I barely cared about any other comics, Batman and Spiderman being distant alternatives.

What the MCU does is esoteric to outsiders, but when it's done to the fictional universe I grew very comfortable with, it's suddenly great in what it can accomplish for my enjoyment of that fictional universe.

Still not really sure how to process this feeling.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jehde posted:

what the MCU does is esoteric to outsiders, but when it's done to the fictional universe I grew very comfortable with, it's suddenly great in what it can accomplish for my enjoyment of that fictional universe feeling.

I've not thought about that before, but agree.

I enjoyed most of the MCU stuff up to Endgame. Just pure popcorn flicks.

But they keep going set in the real world and trying to out-do the stakes of each previous film. I'm pretty sure that the Earth in it now has a giant hand protruding from it because it was an egg in one of the newer films.

Star Wars offers such a scope across an entire fictional universe. Though I do wish they'd just leave the Skywalker era be (after Andor S2, ofc)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ratjaculation posted:

Star Wars offers such a scope across an entire fictional universe. Though I do wish they'd just leave the Skywalker era be (after Andor S2, ofc)

The best bits of Star Wars are easily the pre-OT rebellion stuff though. Andor, Rebels, Fallen Order and the Dad Batch are all great. They won't, but they should do a prequel of Andor entirely about Saw's partisans.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Syril: "You've....done it before?"

Captain Bombardier: "I've done it with a LOT of ladaaaaayyyssss" *air halliksets*

this dude is in the process making a fanimation. It's poser rough sometimes and still getting worked on but seems like a pretty decent interpretation not that I've read it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRbUd9xil0

theyre bvooks for little kids u can bang it out in a weekend!!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why would i gently caress a book

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The best bits of Star Wars are easily the pre-OT rebellion stuff though. Andor, Rebels, Fallen Order and the Dad Batch are all great. They won't, but they should do a prequel of Andor entirely about Saw's partisans.

Saw's Partisans work best as an antagonistic faction because they're always meant to be one step more extreme, and frankly dumber, than the protagonists. They're not really something you can center a show around without painting them in a very negative light.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

So edgy. :allears: A lot of people were moved by that moment and you weren't. That makes you smarter than them!

lmfao dude

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why are you intentionally making GBS threads up a thread? Honestly.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The EU gets so much worse than his stuff.
Admittedly I stopped reading Star Wars books after picking up Vector Prime and then putting it down again maybe 100 pages in because I thought "what the gently caress is this knock-off Star Trek poo poo and why is everyone acting out of character", so possibly I'm a little naive in thinking Anderson's material was especially bad (it was really bad though (also I recall finding the Bounty Hunter trilogy to be extremely dumb)).

But anyway I'm looking forward to more orange Jedi woman on blue admiral man action. Even if the Rebels version of Thrawn just doesn't sound right to me after playing TIE Fighter so much back in the Stone Age.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Saw's Partisans work best as an antagonistic faction because they're always meant to be one step more extreme, and frankly dumber, than the protagonists. They're not really something you can center a show around without painting them in a very negative light.

Wrong, you just paint their actions as good. Easy. They're the good guys.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Parkingtigers posted:

There are darker skinned East Asians too. If we're saying she's a bit too dusky to play the role then it's just perpetuating the real-world racism in East Asia where lighter skinned people in places like China and Japan look down on darker skinned people like Indonesians and Filipinos. Don't want to get too IRL ranty but the treatment of migrant domestic workers in places like Singapore and Hong Kong is scandalously racist and enshrined as such in law (no option of permanent residency despite meeting the required number of years continuous work, or minimum wage protection).

Star Wars needs more representation, and it's getting better at that, but that doesn't mean having to include homogenous groups as straight up analogues for real world cultures because that's just taking the wrong lessons from the real-world and repeating it. I don't know, if it was a white actress who had been playing Sabine then it would be an issue (with the casting, not the actress). But it's not like South Asians have been well represented in Star Wars so far, having even fewer roles than East Asians in the canon.

She's been recast for live action, and I'm fine with it, but "she's not the right ethnicity/skin tone" is not a justification we want to get into, big can of worms there.

She could be a light skinned Indian woman and that wouldn't matter as her skin tone isn't on trial here. Because the character in the show is coded as East Asian and the voice actress is Indian, cast her and people will say you're taking away their representation I'm sure. Ultimately this isn't a new IP it's an adaptation of a show that many people have a ton of affection for and there are many who are incredibly happy that the actress playing Sabine is East Asian due to the representation the character gave them and would have been very upset if someone from a different ethnicity had been given the role. Yes there's not a lot of South Asian representation but that's up to Disney to create more roles for those actors, so taking an existing character that East Asian people have identified with, and then casting a person of a different race would cause people to be upset. Again same thing applied to Ezra.

Btw I personally don't care, it's not something I've really ever cared too much about, but a lot of people clearly do and someone itt wished she has been cast as she's the voice actress and that's just a very probable reason why Disney didn't make that so. Of course the other one being Tiya tried out and was awful.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 8, 2023

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

https://www.ign.com/articles/ahsoka-grand-admiral-thrawn-live-action-actor-confirmed-to-be-star-wars-rebels-lars-mikkelsen

Lars is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Would have been mad if it was anybody else, hell yes.