Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

this is true, but a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Svensken posted:

That's the problem; it really isn't representative of the show.

Most of the Mandalorian looks good, but for some reason they decided to shoot every scene containing JB/Lizzo like it's a tv commercial.

My guess it's the usual case of guest star has arrived, we have five minutes and one take to shoot the scene before they leave, so blast the set with all the lights you have and no fancy camera work, if it ends up looking like poo poo, we can fix it in post.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Yeah Andor is great, from beginning to end.

I'd argue that it's the best thing the Star Wars franchise ever produced, hands down.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gbut posted:

I'd argue that it's the best thing the Star Wars franchise ever produced, hands down.

You would be arguing wrongly my fine friend.

I said it a few posts up, but it is Caravan of Courage.

It has Ewoks, a magic rock, and a big scary monster in a cave. What more does one want from a Star Wars?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

A TV show had a poorly written/produced scene. In this essay I will explain how the woke left...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Don't they have some Degenerate Corner in cons now specifically for the sketchy poo poo? Which I guess is a compromise for the cons if they really rely on those types of degenerates for attendance. Rather than ban them outright you quarantine them in one corner of the building so they leave the normies alone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Decon posted:

A TV show had a poorly written/produced scene. In this essay I will explain how the woke left...

Just how lucrative is this gift? You see a ton of video essays like this these days.

If I weren't so goddamn lazy it would be funny to make videos specifically to trigger these idiots. Kinda like the Twitter person that jokingly said the Super Mario Brothers movie was woke because the princess does stuff, and sure enough some chud lady went on this whole rant about it on YouTube.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

That clip was loving shite. How representative is that of the show?

The show, as a whole, does simultaneously look both really expensive and really cheap somehow. Everything's just a little too close, groups and locations are little too small, like every planet is one town, and that town is one street with a few dozen people. On the other hand there's a ton of weird puppets and spaceships and aliens and space battles and poo poo that couldn't have been cheap.

This just looks cheap, much cheaper than the rest of the show.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Panfilo posted:

Don't they have some Degenerate Corner in cons now specifically for the sketchy poo poo? Which I guess is a compromise for the cons if they really rely on those types of degenerates for attendance. Rather than ban them outright you quarantine them in one corner of the building so they leave the normies alone.

I definitely saw this same dude ranting about "Degen Corners", which I had to look up. I don't know if these are a newer concept for nerd conventions, or if I'm just too Old and Boring to have heard of them before now.

The clip featured a cosplay lady offering to kick people in the balls, which...uh, some folks appeared to be taking her up on.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first season of Mando was great, but it should hand been a mini series, because each episode gets weaker

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think we’re all missing the actual point of the idiocy in that George Lucas is still alive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
George is now a sentient money making machine

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

TinTower posted:

I think we’re all missing the actual point of the idiocy in that George Lucas is still alive.

Not in our hearts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goblin week posted:

this is true, but a good thing

and it's also literally just that no one gives a poo poo about their old busted memes or excuses for sexual harassment anymore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

My guess it's the usual case of a disney production, we have five minutes and one take to shoot the scene before they pull funding, so blast the set with all the lights you have and no fancy camera work, if it ends up looking like poo poo, we can fix it in post.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Andor is legit great.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

BrigadierSensible posted:

What more does one want from a Star Wars?
Wilford Brimley, thereby making Battle for Endor the superior Ewok movie.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

TontoCorazon posted:

Andor is legit great.

That's kinda my point: Andor stands on its own. If it was not SW property, it would still be great. The SW connection just removes some of the exposition, but in very minor terms. There is the redemption arc as usual, but the moral ambiguities as the character goes through it genuinely surprised me. I did not expect Gisnep to let it fly.

e: this is from someone who kinda hates the whole SW thing, especially the post-original-trilogy crap, even though I watched most of it as I'm a Sci-Fi sucker. Andor is a great Space Opera.

gbut has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Apr 8, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The best star wars product is the knights of the old republic comic about a padawan that is poo poo at the force, accused of mass murder, and then joins a con man to dodge authorities and pull of heists

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

You would be arguing wrongly my fine friend.

I said it a few posts up, but it is Caravan of Courage.

It has Ewoks, a magic rock, and a big scary monster in a cave. What more does one want from a Star Wars?
Also, I enjoyed the Doctor Aphra comics.

B33rChiller has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Apr 8, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only good SW content is still Carrie fisher off her tits on coke desperately trying to hold it together in the Holiday Special

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

steinrokkan posted:

The only good SW content is still Carrie fisher off her tits on coke desperately trying to hold it together in the Holiday Special

Read her books, Wishful Drinking and The Princess Diarist. Carrie Fisher was loving awesome :colbert:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of reminds me of Jamaican poet Benjamin Zephaniah, the poet who wrote all his poems phonetically so they would read with his accent. One of the poems I remember most of his from school was "Half Caste" where he makes comparisons like "When you play a piano with both black and white keys, do you call that a half-caste symphony?" (it was the term he grew up with, so he had a personal beef with it)

from a couple of pages ago sorry but you're thinking of John Agard. Zephaniah also did the phonetic poetry thing though. If you're British you might have seen them both perform, as they both had poems on the GCSE English syllabus.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Read her books, Wishful Drinking and The Princess Diarist. Carrie Fisher was loving awesome :colbert:

Didn't she have a long and successful career as a script doctor?
Like, you had a script with flat, unrealistic female characters and you got Carrie in to make them real.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Pookah posted:

Like, you had a script with flat, unrealistic female characters and you got Carrie in to make them real.

Yup! She was the one who saved the original X-Men script. So really, the current Marvel boom is Carrie Fisher's fault.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The only good Star Wars is the Star Wars I thought I watched, but remembered wrong because I was drunk at the time

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pookah posted:

Script doctor sounds like someone who goes shopping at different doctors for pain pills.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

Script doctor sounds like someone who goes shopping at different doctors for pain pills.

She was probably that too.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Arivia posted:

that whole scene looks so fake and overprocessed it feels like a commercial or something. like the cinematography, the lighting or something, it's just off by just enough to make me think there's gonna be someone driving up in an SUV all of a sudden. are all the recent star wars series like this? was this scene notably bad? or is this just a side effect of that giant screen they use for a stage for all the star wars stuff?

Could easily have been a scene in Schmigadoon!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

The only good Star Wars is the Star Wars I thought I watched, but remembered wrong because I was drunk at the time

That does sound good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weird how every individual human has an infinitely branching set of ancestors and there's no overlap

How did all those people coexist without ever intermarrying? Bizarre stuff!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Weird how every individual human has an infinitely branching set of ancestors and there's no overlap

How did all those people coexist without ever intermarrying? Bizarre stuff!

my mom does genealogy for a hobby. she found the third way both her parents were descended from one specific ancestor yesterday.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

gbut posted:

That's kinda my point: Andor stands on its own. If it was not SW property, it would still be great. The SW connection just removes some of the exposition, but in very minor terms. There is the redemption arc as usual, but the moral ambiguities as the character goes through it genuinely surprised me. I did not expect Gisnep to let it fly.

e: this is from someone who kinda hates the whole SW thing, especially the post-original-trilogy crap, even though I watched most of it as I'm a Sci-Fi sucker. Andor is a great Space Opera.

Star Wars is running into the same issue as Marvel where the well of good content has long since run dry and they’re basically just trying to set dramas in their universe that are only tangental to the actual universe because they want to capture the fan base.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mister Speaker posted:

People seem to love The Mandalorian but I can't get into it. The small part of me that still loves SW is a mote bitter that instead of putting actual effort into a Boba Fett show, they just capitalized on the literal image of the character - I'm actually impressed it worked, a testament to good writing maybe.

I think that's actually the beauty of it. Boba Fett has too many ties to existing Star Wars stuff for them to do a really good stand-alone story with him, without having to explain away a bunch of stuff nobody cares about. (I say this not having actually watched his show to see how it turned out, but I still stand by it.) So instead they just made another character exactly like him and didn't have to worry about explaining how he didn't die or figure out a way to redeem him or talk about the prequels.

It also worked for Andor who is basically Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces games, before he became a dumb Jedi.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

does this (very dumb) person think all buildings survive too? oh and all civs use stone/masonry

also maybe we eat bones and all bones in the human species is just recycled and reused forever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Some light Googling indicates that bones break down into unrecognizable dust in an average of twenty years in temperate climates. So the answer to where are all the skeletons is that you are breathing them, the skeletons are in your lungs.

1stGear has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Apr 9, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We're boned

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Star Wars is running into the same issue as Marvel where the well of good content has long since run dry and they’re basically just trying to set dramas in their universe that are only tangental to the actual universe because they want to capture the fan base.

Star Wars hit that long ago.

Marvel's issue is not tangential things people don't care about, but that they homogenize everything to the point of mashed potatoes so it all comes out the same anyways (which also bled over to Star Wars because of Disney controlling the entire industry, see the two copy and paste climactic moments from Endgame and Episode 9).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
IMHO, Marvel worked better when the movies only loosely tied to each other and let them gradually build up for a universe-wide crisis. Now everything is intrinsically interconnected, the crisis is being graffitied all over each movie/show, and they're doubling down on the time travel gimmick with their new villain. Comics do that, but they also have the ability to reboot everything every few years if it all goes to poo poo. I'm not sure that's doable, although DC is giving it a half-assed try.