Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I rewatched the show earlier this year after reading milch's autobiography, which I do recommend if you're a fan even though deadwood is just a small part of his large and heroin filled career.

It's probably the best show, so yeah everyone should post more about it every which way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Al Swearingen passing that loving stone. Dan just viciously beating that enforcer, with the eye bit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Just wanna take the opportunity again to remind everybody just how loving absolutely goddamn incredible the opening of Deadwood is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1BjPmEBm0

:perfect:
Absolutely perfect. The music, the imagery, the editing, all of it.

I have a buddy whose hobby is AI upscales and remasters of old stuff and I'm gonna' ask him if he'll do Deadwood, but failing that, I hope he'll at least do the intro.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Dan just viciously beating that enforcer, with the eye bit.

I just watched that one a while ago. Holy loving poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I just love the dialogue and everyone is so eloquent and the cursing is so profane but every now and then I think of what it actually would have sounded like with a bunch of ‘49ers all yokeling it up like Yosemite Sam.
:laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMojok posted:

I just watched that one a while ago. Holy loving poo poo.

The fact that Dan spends the next 2-3 episodes just absolutely hosed up and recovering from that fight was something you so rarely see as well (though Al being absolutely destroyed by the fight with Seth he technically won, and then the look on his face when he realizes that Seth has just been happily going about his business ever since barely showing any signs of damage was another great little bit).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been collecting my favorite quotes and dialogue scenes. This one made me LOL to beat the band, and I had to rewatch the scene several times.

It’s from season one, Doc finds Jane leaning face-first into a wall, drunker than poo poo.

Doc Cochrane: I been lettin’ it go. But if the idea is for you to drink more and more until I say something… I am hereby officially saying, I wish you would stop loving’ drinking.

Jane *extremely slurred speech* I have NO fuckin’ ideas as far as you say one fuckin’ thing… about anything I do or don’t. Far as… drinking… or where I stand or nap, or any other fuckin’ thing concerning me! Or go, or leave, or don’t, or when…

Doc Cochrane: Alright, Jane.

Jane: …so you can go gently caress yerself, and don’t try and hasten anyone anywhere, ‘cuz everyone follows their own fuckin’ pace, and don’t try and loving’ hasten them!

Robin Weigert was simply incredible in this show!

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 28, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm shocked she's not a bigger deal.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

"How much they payin you to hold up that wall?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just had a table read for a flick I'm makin' and I snuck into the script Jane's "BE hosed!"

Got a big, albeit stolen, laugh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deadwood……:hmmyes:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally convinced my wife to watch Warrior with me, after I loved it so much watching it by myself two years ago. I sold it to her by saying it feels like a cross between Banshee and Deadwood (two shows we watched together and both loved), and she is hooked, four episodes in.

Warrior isn't nearly as much of a masterpiece as Deadwood, but it is fantastic. It is set in San Francisco during the same era, and deals a lot with classism, racism, and xenophobia, particularly between the established Irish working class and recent Chinese immigrants, the police, and the wealthy ruling class exploiting them all.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rewatched this over the pandemic and agree with the threads sentiments. Shows the best. By season three just the visual of Hearst breaking a hole in the hotel wall so he can lord over the town same as Al does from across the street, perfect.

I watched it with some people who had never seen it before, and they loved it. Might have hyped the movie too much though, as when it was over they didn't feel it was as good a wrap up as I'd made it out to be. I still think it's a great nightcap on the show, Al's death is perfect, but ah well.

Also wow I did not realize you see all of Nick Offerman in the first couple episodes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I finally convinced my wife to watch Warrior with me, after I loved it so much watching it by myself two years ago. I sold it to her by saying it feels like a cross between Banshee and Deadwood (two shows we watched together and both loved), and she is hooked, four episodes in.

Warrior isn't nearly as much of a masterpiece as Deadwood, but it is fantastic. It is set in San Francisco during the same era, and deals a lot with classism, racism, and xenophobia, particularly between the established Irish working class and recent Chinese immigrants, the police, and the wealthy ruling class exploiting them all.

Oh yeah. I’ve not seen the whole show, only parts of the second season, but it was great. It was originally supposed to be a vehicle for Bruce Lee as I recall, then after his death it got shelved for 40 years.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

LividLiquid posted:

I just had a table read for a flick I'm makin' and I snuck into the script Jane's "BE hosed!"

Got a big, albeit stolen, laugh.

Absolutely. Pops into my head once in a while:

E.B. Farnum: Be brief.
Calamity Jane: Be hosed!

Edit: I remember reading an interview with W. Earl Brown about that fight scene. Not sure if this is the same interview but there’s some great background here.

https://www.slashfilm.com/566739/w-earl-brown-deadwood-interview/

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 9, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rappaport posted:

Dan just viciously beating that enforcer, with the eye bit.

I remember watching this live with my dad and brother and all of us just making the same sound of shock and horror when it happened.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tomapot posted:

Absolutely. Pops into my head once in a while:

E.B. Farnum: Be brief.
Calamity Jane: Be hosed!
The preceding line in my thing is a patient character telling an impulsive one, "be nice." Once I'd written that, Jane's line popped into my head and I couldn't not do it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Transcripts for all episodes and the movie are available below for folks who really want to appreciate the language.

https://deadwoodchronicles.com/deadwood-transcript-collection/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Whenever I rewatch this show my patter gets noticably Milchy.

*Someone bumps into me at a store*
"Take your passage!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just love the dialogue and everyone is so eloquent and the cursing is so profane but every now and then I think of what it actually would have sounded like with a bunch of ‘49ers all yokeling it up like Yosemite Sam.
:laugh:

I always have the subtitles enabled on rewatches because I LOVE the dialogue so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody was so happy when Tom was able to ride his bicycle successfully. :unsmith:

:negative:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Here’s another one, Al asking Sol about Bullock: “He’s got a mean way of being happy”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One of my favorite moments of the show was in s1e4 “Here Was a Man” which is of course most famous for being the one where McCall kills Hickok, and ending with the dude riding into town whooping and hollering and swinging around the decapitated head of a Native American, and the overall feeling that the situation in the camp is descending into chaos.

But another key thing that happens is Andy riding into camp sick, and the moment I was referring to, is Doc Cochran’s examination of him.

Andy complains of horrible back pain, but of course Doc knows enough to see he’s suffering from the early symptoms of smallpox.

But since the word “plague” is verboten, because nobody wants to cause a huge panic, Doc, in the presence of Tolliver, handles it thusly:

Doc: (hesitatingly) I guess… it’s his back he landed on, when he fell.

Andy: My back is split and broken!

Cy: I don’t know what he landed on. Who said he fell?

Doc: Course… if little pussy sores rise up on his trunk and face… more likely he’s got other trouble.

And Andy’s moans, followed by Doc’s constraint refrain “I’m gonna give you somethin’ to ease that”

It also has the murder of Alma’s husband, an event that sets a bunch of things in motion, one whose consequences reverberate throughout the rest of the series.

As well as Hickok’s “Listen to the thunder” speech to Alma, and of course, his great monologue that ends with “Will you let me go to hell the way I want to.”

And finally, this great scene, which is unfortunately incomplete in the this clip, where McCall is getting himself worked up at Hickok. And simultaneously showing what a moron he is, by trying to use the same insult Hickok used against him, and completely botching it.

https://youtu.be/X3hEFkZxu9I

Overall I think if it’s not my single favorite episode, it’s definitely top-three

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
God damnit knock it off, I don’t have time to rewatch Deadwood right now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

withak posted:

God damnit knock it off, I don’t have time to rewatch Deadwood right now.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to fuckin' live.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Doing my first rewatch and god drat I forgot how good this show is. But absolutely lost it at

I apologise...

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thepokey posted:

Doing my first rewatch and god drat I forgot how good this show is. But absolutely lost it at

I apologise...

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Even all these years later I still randomly mutter,"I apologiiiiiiiiiiiiize......" to myself at various points :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

Even all these years later I still randomly mutter,"I apologiiiiiiiiiiiiize......" to myself at various points :allears:

:same:
:goonsay:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seth and Sol gently assuring the preacher that he's with friends when he was losing his mind was so goddamn heartbreaking, gently caress.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I only do this when I'm sick.

But I do this every time I'm sick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I only do this when I'm sick.

But I do this every time I'm sick.

Neither one of us could ever be trusted in the vicinity of Powers Boothe :hai:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Al Swearengen's "anyways" made it into my vernacular immediately and has never left

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Seth and Sol gently assuring the preacher that he's with friends when he was losing his mind was so goddamn heartbreaking, gently caress.

That was a fantastic scene

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

MrMojok posted:

That was a fantastic scene

"I'm from Missoula, Montana"

"I'm from Vienna, Austria"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Seth impersonating the Reverend was amazing

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thepokey posted:

Seth impersonating the Reverend was amazing

some good impersonations in Deadwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSchfzne9HU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

knew exactly what this was before i clicked on it. :3: I know James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston won all the acting awards during this era for the "petulant complicated shithead male protagonist" shows, and of course they were great in their roles, but the combination of Deadwood's writing and McShane's acting really makes Al one for the ages.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
100% convinced Welliver almost started corpsing but reeled it in and that's the take they used.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Raivin posted:

100% convinced Welliver almost started corpsing but reeled it in and that's the take they used.

Haha, I never noticed his reaction! I think you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Raivin posted:

he absolutely did lol. but also it works in character because it's such a good impersonation