Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So first full day with my heat pump, and I've noticed that right before and right after the fan turns on/off, there's like 3-5 seconds of buzzing from the head unit. I assume this is a normal sound? Best described as an angry bee trapped in there. I checked about the only things I can check for being "loose" (filters and louvres) and they all seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Illuminado posted:

Actually... the big brain play here is to put my bed up on springs. :hmmyes:

You hang the bed from the ceiling with springs on top. Isolation from the floor and ceiling.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

StormDrain posted:

You hang the bed from the ceiling with springs on top. Isolation from the floor and ceiling.

Last year I was ready to do just about anything. They were repaving the freeway and were using massive compactors that would constantly ramp up and down in frequency about every 30s. Of course they would schedule this work between 11pm - 4am Sun-Thurs.

Sleep deprivation will do things to a body.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

So first full day with my heat pump, and I've noticed that right before and right after the fan turns on/off, there's like 3-5 seconds of buzzing from the head unit. I assume this is a normal sound? Best described as an angry bee trapped in there. I checked about the only things I can check for being "loose" (filters and louvres) and they all seems fine.

DONT LET THE BEES OUT

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
a/c was working fine, my gf turned it off in the morning and when I turned it back on it wouldn't cool and the temp went up through the day. Love home ownership!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fknlo posted:

a/c was working fine, my gf turned it off in the morning and when I turned it back on it wouldn't cool and the temp went up through the day. Love home ownership!

My guess is contactor or capacitor.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

My guess is contactor or capacitor.

The outside unit was working last night but still wasn't cooling. I'm at work but had my gf turn the air on and there's air coming out of the vents but the outside unit isn't kicking on. She says it's not making any sort of noises either. It's much cooler out today so that's nice at least. Contactor looks like something I could do but I'm not gonna dick with the capacitor. I'll just call someone tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, I don't know jack about HVAC stuff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I finally talked to my Deck Guy™️ (on the phone because he refused to answer my questions over email) and said straight up that my budget was like half what he quoted me. Removed a set of stairs and a bench from the plan and suddenly his quote is for half as much and also now he's texting me at 8:30pm. :whitewater:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
So after tilling and ripping up everything in my yard last June, and choosing to lay sod for a quick install of grass ... it mostly all died despite following the instructions step by step. I'm, really regretting not trying to just grow from seed.

I tilled a good 10" deep, multiple passes to really break up the soil. Added sand and compost into my soil to loosen it up a bit. I dug a square foot hole and tested the drainage speed. It tested really well and healthy. I had foot long earth worms all over the place. It felt very nice and loose, very rich dark black soil without being too clumpy/sticky. When I ordered the sod, it came from a reputable local farm and I installed it as their installers were already booked solid for the season. It was backbreaking work (I had tendonitis in my hand for a few weeks after) but I got it down. Laid it in a brick pattern, overlapping. Ensured to fit the seams very tight so there were no gaps. I watered as scheduled and it grew pretty well during the summer and fall. Once the temperatures dropped, it started to die. I'm in seattle so its not like it was super cold. Plenty of rain.

Once the leaves started falling was right around the time it started to really die.

I overseeded and fertilized, also adding lime to the mix. The seed barely seemed to take root at all. Upon closer inspection, the sod seemed to have an incredibly clay rich soil. I don't think anything is even getting through it. I've tried overseeding several times and nothing seems to bite. I've raked it trying to create some texture in the soil so that the grass can take root. Nothing. I've tried covering the seed lighty with soil. Nothing. Its still there weeks later without any improvement. I've tried different seed brands/varieties but its mostly ryegrass/fescue out here that grow well in sun/shade areas.

I think it has to 100% be the amount of clay in the soil the sod was grown in. Its an inch thick layer of clay thats preventing the seed from rooting through. I REALLY don't want to rip it all up and trash it but part of me is about to say gently caress it and call a dumpster. Now I understand why people choose hardscapes. Lawns are stupid.

Sorry, thats my rant.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Qwijib0 posted:

Might look into if there's an adapted buffalograss for your region. For AZ/socal there's a variant called UC Verde that doesn't flower so no seeds, stops growing at 6" so it doesn't really need mowing, and will stay green with 1/2" water a week.

There's also a Texas-climate adapted one from A&M I know of and several for Colorado climate. So it seems plausible there's one for most zones.

FYI Buffalo Grass is cool and good but also highly susceptible to weeds and can be a maintenance hassle

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fknlo posted:

The outside unit was working last night but still wasn't cooling. I'm at work but had my gf turn the air on and there's air coming out of the vents but the outside unit isn't kicking on. She says it's not making any sort of noises either. It's much cooler out today so that's nice at least. Contactor looks like something I could do but I'm not gonna dick with the capacitor. I'll just call someone tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, I don't know jack about HVAC stuff.

Check the circuit breaker? Sounds obvious but it caught me out once

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Verman posted:

I think it has to 100% be the amount of clay in the soil the sod was grown in. Its an inch thick layer of clay thats preventing the seed from rooting through. I REALLY don't want to rip it all up and trash it but part of me is about to say gently caress it and call a dumpster. Now I understand why people choose hardscapes. Lawns are stupid.

Sorry, thats my rant.

Just do it and get it over with - I assume it's about the right time of year right now in PNW to get it seeded and done? You already did all of the prep work under the sod - maybe have to add some dirt to make up for the loss. I have never had good luck with sod. Well, and I hate lawns in general and am converting more of mine to clover - but when I had to clean up a bunch of removed trees and take care of the area along the border I wanted normal-person grass. I used these cover roll things which were stupid expensive but they did work nicely. Not sure straw wouldn't have worked just as well. That and I watered like crazy with a mix of automated watering via sprinkler timer, and the fact that this was early 2020 covid work from home time. Yeah it's not walkable as fast, but it'd be walkable faster than what you've already done, unfortunately.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verman posted:

So after tilling and ripping up everything in my yard last June, and choosing to lay sod for a quick install of grass ... it mostly all died despite following the instructions step by step. I'm, really regretting not trying to just grow from seed.

I tilled a good 10" deep, multiple passes to really break up the soil. Added sand and compost into my soil to loosen it up a bit. I dug a square foot hole and tested the drainage speed. It tested really well and healthy. I had foot long earth worms all over the place. It felt very nice and loose, very rich dark black soil without being too clumpy/sticky. When I ordered the sod, it came from a reputable local farm and I installed it as their installers were already booked solid for the season. It was backbreaking work (I had tendonitis in my hand for a few weeks after) but I got it down. Laid it in a brick pattern, overlapping. Ensured to fit the seams very tight so there were no gaps. I watered as scheduled and it grew pretty well during the summer and fall. Once the temperatures dropped, it started to die. I'm in seattle so its not like it was super cold. Plenty of rain.

Once the leaves started falling was right around the time it started to really die.

I overseeded and fertilized, also adding lime to the mix. The seed barely seemed to take root at all. Upon closer inspection, the sod seemed to have an incredibly clay rich soil. I don't think anything is even getting through it. I've tried overseeding several times and nothing seems to bite. I've raked it trying to create some texture in the soil so that the grass can take root. Nothing. I've tried covering the seed lighty with soil. Nothing. Its still there weeks later without any improvement. I've tried different seed brands/varieties but its mostly ryegrass/fescue out here that grow well in sun/shade areas.

Sorry, thats my rant.

Buy a giant sack of horse pasture seed mix and free yourself

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just realized we have a heat pump. Don't think it changes anything, but I've never had one before. The outside unit isn't kicking on at all, heat or cool. So something definitely broke.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Anza Borrego posted:

FYI Buffalo Grass is cool and good but also highly susceptible to weeds and can be a maintenance hassle

I'm on year 5 of my buffalograss lawn and the thatch is now thick enough that I don't get many weeds, and the few I do I just pull. The establishment phase was more effort, I'm definitely on a downward trend of work on it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I think my condo’s standard A/C outdoor unit (located on my midrise elevator accessible rooftop) had bees buzz buzz buzzing and it was a nice melty exploded crappy capacitor.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 6, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Initial diagnosis is that low refrigerant caused the reverse valve to not properly "cycle". He put some refrigerant in and said he'll come back next week when it's warmer as it was too cold out today to get things where he wanted them. He'll also put some stop leak in as it's obviously leaking somewhere.

He initially thought it was just the control board which is apparently very sensitive to things and goes into a standby mode very quickly. It was in this standby mode but was obviously not the only issue. So hopefully that's it and some stop leak and more refrigerant will fix it. If not we'll go from there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

He'll also put some stop leak in as it's obviously leaking somewhere.

How old is this system? Did he tell you that if you ever lose pressure entirely after the stop leak has been put in that you basically need to replace EVERYTHING? It's a "last chance" technician in a bottle repair while you're saving up for a new system.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

How old is this system? Did he tell you that if you ever lose pressure entirely after the stop leak has been put in that you basically need to replace EVERYTHING? It's a "last chance" technician in a bottle repair while you're saving up for a new system.

Indeed. I'd stay away from stop leak. I'd be making sure he does a good job replacing the schrader valves (one main area of weakness/leakage). But I was in the possible list with contactor and capacitor. I recommend that anyone with a 5 year old unit or older have those on the shelf, just in case. It's cheap insurance.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It should be 9 years old now. He did not mention that. He did mention prices of what it would be to replace the most likely leak suspects, but I'm fine with doing that if the stop leak is not a great idea.

The guy that came out today is the only person that shows on the maintenance list on the furnace. The last entry was 2016.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

It should be 9 years old now. He did not mention that. He did mention prices of what it would be to replace the most likely leak suspects, but I'm fine with doing that if the stop leak is not a great idea.

The guy that came out today is the only person that shows on the maintenance list on the furnace. The last entry was 2016.

Find someone else. That's probably harder than it sounds. But find someone who can come out with a refrigerant detector and check the obvious places before going right to stop leak.

It seems like most of these guys just want to sell new systems.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I determined the higher pitched "buzzing" from my heat pump head unit is the motor(s) for the louvers. I'm not sure why they have to activate so much...maybe i need to adjust the setting for them to be just, like... "regular open all the way" and not "automatic"?

But the last couple days (so basically half the time I've had it) it's been making a tick/clicking sound from the fan. Hard to hear, but best video I can get on my crummy phone's camera:
https://i.imgur.com/eVIU1li.mp4

It makes that noise the ENTIRE time the fan is on, so, that's, like...basically all the time the unit is working. That seems like a not normal noise, but I'm 100% sure if I call the installers back they'll just tell me,
"Well of COURSE it's going to make some noise!"

But that's definetely not a normal amount, right? I've been in places with heat pumps and none made a constant clicking like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got what visually looks to be an identical unit in my shop, it's probably not the same but a mitsubishi anyway.

But it has basically no sound all the time except a faint hum from the fans and an occasional gargling from the dehumidifier emptying. That whining noise you also got sounds wrong.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Barn doors!

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Are horrible, terrible things that make me irrationally angry. Just seeing or hearing about these things make me grumble under my breath...and I have no clear idea why. Part of it is their poor functionality and another part is how HGTV, TLC etc. hyped up barn doors incessantly for a while.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
honestly barn doors are like plantation shutters

decorative, and decent at that, but utterly useless in functionality.

Looks like it's for a dining room, so IMO it's fine.

don't put that poo poo on a bedroom or bathroom that isn't en suite

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's for the front office whose doors will stay open 100% of the time. I would never put them on a bedroom or bathroom or closet door, that's stupid

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dutch doors. Love 'em.

I have yet to find the right place for one.

Maybe if my wife lets me build her a gardening shed...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All men want the same thing and it's to build their wife a garden shed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can build a shed for me first, to practice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Barn doors just eat up so much wall space in my opinion and look odd in anything that's not a new York style loft or a country home. Give me a good pocket door though. In small homes, they're super handy for keeping small spaces open.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’ve never encountered a pocket door that wasn’t a nightmare to fix that spent more time off the track than on it. That’s a big part of why people moved to barn doors instead imo

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The office has pocket doors on both entrances and they might as well not exist, we never ever use them.

New rear door got installed yesterday, finally. Switched from an inswing door to a slider, because who the hell builds a house and puts in a door that swings right into where a chair would be in the dining room.

Now to get on replacing the floor to ceiling window panels on either side of it too. I’m gonna scrape paint, infill, and repaint as best as I can, but the exterior of those windows’ days are numbered.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 8, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've been to several hotels who have used barn doors for the loving bathroom and I have never been angrier. Yes people LOVE having no privacy with this loose hanging cover over the bathroom.

Might as well have been a beaded loving curtain.

They're fine as decorative things for dining rooms or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I've been to several hotels who have used barn doors for the loving bathroom and I have never been angrier. Yes people LOVE having no privacy with this loose hanging cover over the bathroom.

Might as well have been a beaded loving curtain.

I've been to several hotels in eastern europe where the bathroom is just a glass box on the side of the room. I assume there's some manner of popular fetish I'm not aware of/don't want to be aware of that made this setup so widespread.

Anyway, a barn door is really mild compared to that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Even my 1980 built California Ranch has a couple pocket doors that are awesome. They don't get used often but having regular doors there would be impossible.

One is still in the original golden brown too, so I left it that way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Anne Whateley posted:

I’ve never encountered a pocket door that wasn’t a nightmare to fix that spent more time off the track than on it. That’s a big part of why people moved to barn doors instead imo

Barn doors are easy to add, pocket doors are a big boy project to add. Most people aren't capable of refraining a wall for a pocket door, whereas you can add a barn door without even filling in the holes from the hardware of the swing door you just removed.

The issues with barn doors we touched on, J want to add I really dislike how it invalidates the section of wall next to it as well. Furniture has to be off the wall to clear, no outlets, no artwork.

I also do hate barn doors but I don't have the same feeling about pocket doors, since I have limited experience with them. I think my childhood home had one in my parents bedroom, and our historic home had incredible pocket doors. One giant one, like 6'w8'h, and a pair that closed together nicely. Both with a grid of door lites that meant it was mostly glass.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of the speculative teardown and rebuild projects down the street from our house in Austin had a barn down between the master bedroom and the bathroom.

Had, the whole thing rail and all fell off during the open house.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

not my style but my gf's parents have them on the bathroom door which is insane. love listening to people piss and poo poo from the living room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

I've been to several hotels in eastern europe where the bathroom is just a glass box on the side of the room. I assume there's some manner of popular fetish I'm not aware of/don't want to be aware of that made this setup so widespread.

Its so guests can keep an eye on the prostitutes in case they try stealing from their luggage or wallet