Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sunk Dunk posted:

personally i think they should take it all the way to the supreme court

I will accept this if it means we can see Carlos protest again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLdEng-aqvM

I could watch this over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Gallant knights, and men-at-arms testing the limits of their skills, and the strength of their steeds at tournament, and the courtly intrigue of the noble houses that sponsor them.

The majesty and drama of Formula 1.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A 5 second penalty is kind of bullshit once you consider it was lap 1 turn 1 incident of a 2 lap race that was red flagged by turn 3 and then finished under a parade lap. They may as well have disqualified him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Toe Rag posted:

A 5 second penalty is kind of bullshit once you consider it was lap 1 turn 1 incident of a 2 lap race that was red flagged by turn 3 and then finished under a parade lap. They may as well have disqualified him.

Even more stupid that they rolled the race order back to before he caused the crash and then finished the GP.

Him causing the crash literally affected nothing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah they gave him a penalty for an incident that technically never happened. Should have put him back in 4th or whatever it was and then do the safety car procession to finish the race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tony quidtana posted:

they have Stefan bradl but for whatever reason he rightfully doesn't want to jump off into the woodchipper that is riding that Honda through two races a weekend.

Yeah, it's almost like he didn't enjoy travelling halfway around the world busting his semi-retired hump for 1 points scoring finish last year.

harperdc posted:

I don’t remember the wording specifically but for one or two rounds a team is allowed to not field a bike. So in this case Repsol Honda can keep Marquez out from Argentina and bring him back for COTA.

With injuries that are longer term there’s a requirement to have a replacement rider, which is what KTM/GasGas/Tech3 have done for Pol from COTA forward.

Tl;dr blame the rules, as usual.

It's a surprise you need rules though. You'd think it'd be in their interests to have a bike out there.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Toe Rag posted:

It only finished on a parade lap because he braked too late to make the corner and caused a huge accident. Yeah, they may as well have disqualified him. poo poo happens when you start pit maneuvering other cars (unless you are lewis hamilton at silverstone).

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Canadians love their Hondas I guess

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

acidx posted:

It only finished on a parade lap because he braked too late to make the corner and caused a huge accident. Yeah, they may as well have disqualified him. poo poo happens when you start pit maneuvering other cars (unless you are lewis hamilton at silverstone).

Idk I watched the replay of it last night and it doesn’t look that bad. Alonso squares off the corner which is why he and Sainz touched. A racing incident I think. Gasly and Sargent are the reasons it was red flagged.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sainz should know it's a 5 second penalty, because that's the penalty given to Russell for doing that poo poo to Sainz at COTA last year.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it wasn’t an egregious move but that’s also why it was just a 5 second penalty. them’s the brakes

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

I liked Jolyon Palmer's analysis of the chaos. https://youtu.be/YPDNuxwD8-M

Several contributing factors; cold tires, light fuel load, late-day sun right in the driver's faces, the pressure of knowing it's basically a 2-lap sprint race with no time to gain or recover any positions after the standing start. Basically a very high-stakes restart in unusual and challenging conditions.

Gasly and Sainz both pretty majorly hosed up, braking too late into turn 1. Gasly came extremely close to rear-ending Alonso just before Sainz plowed into him. A pretty slam dunk 5 second penalty, he just got turbofucked by the race ending under safety car and getting dropped completely out of the points. Unfortunate, but not technically unfair. Only reason Gasly didn't get a penalty is because he hit his teammate.

I think the most important point he makes is that the FIA need to be consistent about handling late race incidents:
> Baku 2021 - red flag and 2 lap sprint.
> Monza 2022 - safety car finish.
> Australia 2023 - red flag and 2 lap sprint chaos. SC finish.
> Abu Dhabi 2021 - NO! Go put that can of worms somewhere it'll get lost and forgotten about!

If they don't want the race to end under a safety car that's fine, but the handling of late race incidents needs to be more consistent, and communicated to the teams so they know what to expect.

Also, Logan Sergeant, godDAMN what an embarrassing rookie moment. I think he avoided a penalty because the stewards were too embarrassed on his behalf just watching the replay.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

acidx posted:

How come Max never gets DQ’d when he has made that his entire strategy over the past 5 years?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FIA bias

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just end under safety car imo it's fine

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Personal Lucubrant posted:

I liked Jolyon Palmer's analysis of the chaos. https://youtu.be/YPDNuxwD8-M

Several contributing factors; cold tires, light fuel load, late-day sun right in the driver's faces, the pressure of knowing it's basically a 2-lap sprint race with no time to gain or recover any positions after the standing start. Basically a very high-stakes restart in unusual and challenging conditions.

Gasly and Sainz both pretty majorly hosed up, braking too late into turn 1. Gasly came extremely close to rear-ending Alonso just before Sainz plowed into him. A pretty slam dunk 5 second penalty, he just got turbofucked by the race ending under safety car and getting dropped completely out of the points. Unfortunate, but not technically unfair. Only reason Gasly didn't get a penalty is because he hit his teammate.

I think the most important point he makes is that the FIA need to be consistent about handling late race incidents:
> Baku 2021 - red flag and 2 lap sprint.
> Monza 2022 - safety car finish.
> Australia 2023 - red flag and 2 lap sprint chaos. SC finish.
> Abu Dhabi 2021 - NO! Go put that can of worms somewhere it'll get lost and forgotten about!

If they don't want the race to end under a safety car that's fine, but the handling of late race incidents needs to be more consistent, and communicated to the teams so they know what to expect.

Also, Logan Sergeant, godDAMN what an embarrassing rookie moment. I think he avoided a penalty because the stewards were too embarrassed on his behalf just watching the replay.

doing a standing start in the last 10 laps is idiotic

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm glad people are writing massive essays for what can be boiled down to the FIA/FOM having brain worms and their monkey brains going "standing starts good for TV". great use of time

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it was cool

karun chandok said as much right afterward; if there hadn't been a crash, everyone would have thought it was great

who cares about sunlight or light fuel or whatever. shut up about cold tires; that's the case after every safety car. these are professional drivers, they can handle it. that's what people always lean on to argue for wet standing starts, or racing in the wet in general.

it was a fluke thing. if you want to prevent it in the future, ban all french drivers i guess

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Standing starts are cool and good and if you think otherwise you're probably a Ferrari fan/brain damaged.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't mind finishing behind safety car. It's motor racing, it happens

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Any time max gets a 5 second lead the race should be red flagged and restarted with a standing start

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maintaining a gap larger than 5 seconds for more than 1 lap results in a 5 second penalty

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd be down for an honour duel between Tsunoda and Iwasa.

And also Lawson now.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I don't mind finishing behind safety car. It's motor racing, it happens

Or maybe instead of a parade for three or four laps resulting in nothing, stop the race for a few minutes and have a standing start for three or four laps of awesome action?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frond posted:

And also Lawson now.

Like the konbini?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

tony quidtana posted:

I'm glad people are writing massive essays for what can be boiled down to the FIA/FOM having brain worms and their monkey brains going "standing starts good for TV". great use of time

I have gently caress all to do this weekend, and a bunch of dumbass ideas I've amalgamated from an array of idiots across the internet. Perhaps some from this very thread! Would you like to read some?

> Only one practice session, but with points awarded.
> Qualifying on Friday with points awarded.
> Sprint race on Saturday to set GP grid order, and points awarded.
> GP on Sunday with reversed grid order.
> Points awarded for Driver of the Day.
> Constructors championship points for fastest pitstop.
> More points awarded for other arbitrary bullshit because slack-jawed dipshits like big numbers. More points!
> Fan Boost like Formula E, but it gives 1 free DRS activation anywhere on track.
> Let teams choose any of the current tire compounds instead of just the 3 Pirelli picks for the weekend.
> Or, gently caress choices, and just mandate 1 rain and 2 slick compounds like IndyCar.
> 36 GP weekends a year. More races = more points, win/win! Because gently caress work/life balance I guess.
> Karts at Monaco.
> Competition cautions.
> A Bristol dirt race, gently caress it.

Mostly taking the piss. How about some stupid ideas about qualifying?

> A "one-shot" sort of qualifying session, but only 1 team on track at once.
> Each team has 8 minutes total for both drivers to put in their best times. (~2 hour broadcast maybe?)
> Qualifying order randomized for round 1.
> Qualifying order in subsequent rounds goes in order of constructor's championship standing.

Would it be cool to see each team with an opportunity for clean air and their drivers taking turns towing each other? That might just result in every team getting their own row of the grid. Maybe reduce the time limit to ~5 minutes to only allow enough time to set up 1 car for a tow on a hot lap? Also some drama if competitive teammates refuse to cooperate. Maybe just 1 car at once with a 3-4 minute time limit to avoid towing strategy/drama altogether?

Aside from weird weather shenanigans, qualifying later in the session on a more developed track is usually better, right? For round 1 the order could be random, or the previous season's constructor rank or something. Points leaders qualifying first might give lower ranked drivers/teams an opportunity to shake up the starting grid a little.

To be clear, I think the current qualifying format is fine, and there's no reason to change it. My ideas are probably r-worded because I started following F1 in 2019 after binge-watching the first season of DTS.

Like I said, I have gently caress all to do today. Literally just killing time. Like, murdering it, and desecrating the corpse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah those are all gold.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Half the cars go normal direction, half the cars go reverse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Single car qualifying runs into the problem of wet sessions where oops, one car got a dry lap and everyone else had damp/rain conditions. Pretty sure that happened at least a few times when single lap was the format in early 2000s

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just trying to get out in front of it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

> Karts at Monaco.

he'll yeah

missing "trackside sprinklers activated by live fan vote" though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the milk machine posted:

he'll yeah

missing "trackside sprinklers activated by live fan vote" though

They're trialling that in Miami this year

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Single car qualifying runs into the problem of wet sessions where oops, one car got a dry lap and everyone else had damp/rain conditions. Pretty sure that happened at least a few times when single lap was the format in early 2000s

KMag was on pole in Sao Paulo last year because of rain, but yeah, I see your point. The stars had to align to make that happen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I have gently caress all to do this weekend, and a bunch of dumbass ideas I've amalgamated from an array of idiots across the internet. Perhaps some from this very thread! Would you like to read some?

> Only one practice session, but with points awarded.
> Qualifying on Friday with points awarded.
> Sprint race on Saturday to set GP grid order, and points awarded.
> GP on Sunday with reversed grid order.
> Points awarded for Driver of the Day.
> Constructors championship points for fastest pitstop.
> More points awarded for other arbitrary bullshit because slack-jawed dipshits like big numbers. More points!
> Fan Boost like Formula E, but it gives 1 free DRS activation anywhere on track.
> Let teams choose any of the current tire compounds instead of just the 3 Pirelli picks for the weekend.
> Or, gently caress choices, and just mandate 1 rain and 2 slick compounds like IndyCar.
> 36 GP weekends a year. More races = more points, win/win! Because gently caress work/life balance I guess.
> Karts at Monaco.
> Competition cautions.

Mostly taking the piss. How about some stupid ideas about qualifying?

> A "one-shot" sort of qualifying session, but only 1 team on track at once.
> Each team has 8 minutes total for both drivers to put in their best times. (~2 hour broadcast maybe?)
> Qualifying order randomized for round 1.
> Qualifying order in subsequent rounds goes in order of constructor's championship standing.

Would it be cool to see each team with an opportunity for clean air and their drivers taking turns towing each other? That might just result in every team getting their own row of the grid. Maybe reduce the time limit to ~5 minutes to only allow enough time to set up 1 car for a tow on a hot lap? Also some drama if competitive teammates refuse to cooperate. Maybe just 1 car at once with a 3-4 minute time limit to avoid towing strategy/drama altogether?

Aside from weird weather shenanigans, qualifying later in the session on a more developed track is usually better, right? For round 1 the order could be random, or the previous season's constructor rank or something. Points leaders qualifying first might give lower ranked drivers/teams an opportunity to shake up the starting grid a little.

To be clear, I think the current qualifying format is fine, and there's no reason to change it. My ideas are probably r-worded because I started following F1 in 2019 after binge-watching the first season of DTS.

Like I said, I have gently caress all to do today. Literally just killing time. Like, murdering it, and desecrating the corpse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

imagine having Tony post lengths without Tony energy. Sad.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
drat imagine if there was a race right now

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Or maybe instead of a parade for three or four laps resulting in nothing, stop the race for a few minutes and have a standing start for three or four laps of awesome action?

NASCAR stages

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm sure that kind of poo poo is on the way. I'm amazed we've not had a playoff system like Nascar yet.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

LOCK HIM UP :yooge:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

1. EU grand prix is good and should be on the calendar

2. Lol how did they not red flag this

3. Cars should be allowed to be put back on the track with the big tractors to continue racing like Hamilton did in this race

e: nvm they red flagged it after the cars stopped crashing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/txtfromclassics/status/1644985439827415040