Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That brokerage account will also give you access to their excellent checking account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Unsinkabear posted:

That brokerage account will also give you access to their excellent checking account

You don't need to have a Schwab brokerage account in order to open a checking account with them. If you don't have a brokerage account they will open one automatically for you alongside the checking account

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's the only account I've ever wrote paper checks with

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm in the same boat, the Amex is coming up again, and I'm not exactly sure 650/yr is worth it these days. Need to figure out what to do with 300k Amex points. I used to cash them into Delta to fly others, but haven't had the need in a while.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

THF13 posted:

You don't need to have a Schwab brokerage account in order to open a checking account with them. If you don't have a brokerage account they will open one automatically for you alongside the checking account

Good clarification, ty. I just meant you won't have to do a new hard pull to get the checking account (assuming the brokerage account still does a hard pull, haven't checked in a while). Sometimes the thought of spending an extra pull on "just" checking puts off people who are not already Schwab brokerage customers. But if you're already doing that to get the Plat, then there's zero downside to grabbing their checking as well for that overseas utility. Just a nice fringe benefit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FunOne posted:

I'm in the same boat, the Amex is coming up again, and I'm not exactly sure 650/yr is worth it these days. Need to figure out what to do with 300k Amex points. I used to cash them into Delta to fly others, but haven't had the need in a while.

If you get the Schwab plat you can cash out points at 1.1 cents per MR to your Schwab accounts

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

Following up on the WalMart gift card fraud:

At the physical store: Customer service rep asked if I had the card and receipt for it. I said yes. She said she couldn't do anything and that I would have to call the phone number on the card.

Over the phone: Pre-recorded message about how WalMart doesn't do poo poo about gift cards, with reference to gift card policy on website.

Policy on website: Text version of "gently caress you got ours"

Chase over the phone: was familiar with this problem and initiated a chargeback.

At the very least, while waiting in line at WalMart I was able to dissuade someone from buying a gift card from the same rack I'd picked from.

+1 credibility to Chase for recognizing the problem, allowing a human being to speak to me, and doing something about it.

The saga that never ends has extended itself like an unasked-for movie credits stinger or sequel announcement.

Chase posted a -$100 chargeback on my statement, which should have closed out the saga.

Over the past week, Chase has sent me three different alerts stating "Chase has found that the charge was valid." They haven't done anything to reverse the reversal, though. All of their representatives I spoke to over the phone saw the scam from my pov and said a chargeback was the common resolution.

Chase wouldn't burn all that progress just to appease Wal Mart over a scam the vendor refuses to fight, right?

My Chase points have been zero'd out for a summer trip, so if they want to give me an excuse to leave, I'll take it.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

pseudanonymous posted:

Basically yes, citi won’t give you a second custom cash but they have let people product change their other cards into a custom cash when they already have one.

But do I need to go for the Premier first?

Could I go for the Custom first, then the Premier, and then later downgrade the Premier into a second Custom?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

literally this big posted:

But do I need to go for the Premier first?

Could I go for the Custom first, then the Premier, and then later downgrade the Premier into a second Custom?

I believe that will work. If they say no id hang up and try again.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Even (or especially) if you're just in it for cash, the sign-up bonus on the Premier is significant.

Iirc the reason people go Premier -> Custom Cash -> Rewards+ is that the Premier and + have mutually exclusive signup bonuses.

So get the 80,000 points from the Premier first, then apply for the Custom Cash. Get your 20,000 from that. Then, if you want, grab the Rewards+. You won't get a sign-up bonus but it will add 10% to the value of your previous two cards, so it's effectively with $100/10,000 + 10% ofwhatever points you have from actual spending.

Then right after the Premier renews next year, downgrade it to a second Custom Cash and get that second annual fee refunded. Enjoy having 5.5% back in the top two spending categories of your choice each month for no annual fee (which is important, because it means you can also neglect these categories without penalty if you need that spending to grab another bonus later).

Credit to pseudoanonymous for pointing this combo out to me over in the churning thread. It's one of those rare best-of-both-worlds sweet spots that gives you both up-front value and long term usefulness.

Thanks for this, going to try it out once I finish this US Bank Altitude startup bonus.

Will it mess anything up that I already have a Citi Double Cash (8+ years old)?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Space Fish posted:

The saga that never ends has extended itself like an unasked-for movie credits stinger or sequel announcement.

Chase posted a -$100 chargeback on my statement, which should have closed out the saga.

Over the past week, Chase has sent me three different alerts stating "Chase has found that the charge was valid." They haven't done anything to reverse the reversal, though. All of their representatives I spoke to over the phone saw the scam from my pov and said a chargeback was the common resolution.

Chase wouldn't burn all that progress just to appease Wal Mart over a scam the vendor refuses to fight, right?

My Chase points have been zero'd out for a summer trip, so if they want to give me an excuse to leave, I'll take it.

FWIW, this sounds like expected behavior for how a bank handles chargebacks on CCs. They will remove the $100 while they “investigate”. This is what their terms of use says for how dispute claims (chargebacks) are handled.

If their decision is the charge is valid; they will probably re-add the $100 to your balance. You can confirm this thru the 800 number on back of your card if you want to burn a few mins on the phone, the support rep should be able to tell you rough timing.

I tried a chargeback with Chase I think when my car was booted in a private business parking lot, I had admittedly left the car for approx 5 mins. The charge was around $200 to remove the boot.

The private boot operator was not complying with my city’s laws which the law says must be complied with for the boot company to operate.

I provided proof the company was not complying with the law in my dispute.

The charge was “found” to be valid.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

I have no credit history and I'm 22 with a stable income and job. I've been advised that I should start building my credit score and should've started the second I turned 18. I looked at secured cards the other day and they seem to be a scam based on what I'm seeing here. Where do I begin with credit in 2023?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Iamgoofball posted:

I have no credit history and I'm 22 with a stable income and job. I've been advised that I should start building my credit score and should've started the second I turned 18. I looked at secured cards the other day and they seem to be a scam based on what I'm seeing here. Where do I begin with credit in 2023?

If you're in the US, the advice you received was fine; you can get a secured card that even offers some cash back from Discover.

Treat it like your debit card and only spend money you have that you can afford to immediately pay off.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You don't necessarily need to start with a secured credit card. The credit card companies have various "for students" cards that they market for students and other people with no credit score.

But as astral said don't borrow any money that you can't pay off in full at the end of the month.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 28, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

You don't necessarily need to start with a secured credit card. The credit card companies have various "for students" cards that they market for students and other people with no credit score.

I think an argument could be made these days, starter non-secured cards are more the standard for young adults that are not literally in college full time. I don't know the specific cards that are good for that but the market should be fairly standard at that range I would guess. If you happen to live near or have transportation to a bank/credit union branch, that may help -- the idea is in the olden days, physically being there may help a smidge with approval (insert historically correct horrifying racial anecdote here). And neighborhood / community focused banks are more likely to have starter level credit products to specifically offer. But the big banks have a solid hold on this market too and have good products.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 28, 2023

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you just want to build credit, I'm fairly certain Capital One will give you something like a no-frills platinum card. If you're employed you shouldn't need to start with a secured card.

Use it for like 6 months and then get a rewards card if you want.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 30, 2023

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Amex annual fee came up again, so now its time to do the "is it worth it" dance on this card. If I wanted to cash out my MR points, do I have to open a Scwab account, then get the "schwab" version of the plat card, then cash them out?

Or does it make sense to open a little Amex MR account, close this Plat, then do the Scwab + Plat thing next?

I've got 300k MR points, so its worth the hassle to do once, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle to keep this expense card ALONG with the expensive AA card I have. Gotta do the math on the rewards value of all these things.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

Amex annual fee came up again, so now its time to do the "is it worth it" dance on this card. If I wanted to cash out my MR points, do I have to open a Scwab account, then get the "schwab" version of the plat card, then cash them out?

Or does it make sense to open a little Amex MR account, close this Plat, then do the Scwab + Plat thing next?

I've got 300k MR points, so its worth the hassle to do once, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle to keep this expense card ALONG with the expensive AA card I have. Gotta do the math on the rewards value of all these things.

As long as you have some card that can earn MR points you keep your banked points.

So you've got some options:

Open an Amex card with no annual fee that earns MR points, like the Amex Everyday Credit Card (no AF, 10k MR for 2k spend is currently showing)

Tell the chat (wait till the AF posts) and tell them you are thinking of closing the card. People frequently get loyalty offers, like some MR for some spend.

Open the Schwab Amex now, before your AF posts, then they'll just transfer.

Or some combination of the above. If you're willing to manage it grabbing the Amex Everyday card can be nice because they will periodically give you an offer of like 30k MR to upgrade it to preferred, then you can downgrade once the 2nd AF posts, and 30k MR for 95$ is a net profit of $235. Many users report being able to do this every year or two, though this valuation of points requires you to have the Schwab Plat to cash out at 1.1 cents per point.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

My family recently received a small windfall and we would like to pay off our collective student loans valued in the mid 5 figures. Our loan servicer allows payment with credit cards, feels like an easy opportunity for some manufactured spend. Already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Blue, Capital One Saver and Capital One Quicksilver.

Anything better than the Wells Fargo Active Cash card? $200 signup bonus and 0.5% better cash back than the best of what I already have.
Follow up on this, I signed up for the WF Active Cash card and got an extra ~$200 cash back over the next best alternative plus the $200 signup bonus. Feels like it was worth the hassle.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

As long as you have some card that can earn MR points you keep your banked points.

So you've got some options:

Any idea if I'm going to have to pony up the AF on the Schwab Plat when issued?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

Any idea if I'm going to have to pony up the AF on the Schwab Plat when issued?

You will.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Just got my first new credit card in a while. Among other benefits, they are giving me 0% interest for a year. I'm usually a pay off in full person, but given that it is easy to earn 5% or so on cash at the moment, any reason to not carry a balance at 0%?

I realize there may be a small hit to my credit if my utilization increases, but my credit is excellent, and my total credit limit is high enough that I cant imagine utilization getting over 10% or so.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

drk posted:

Just got my first new credit card in a while. Among other benefits, they are giving me 0% interest for a year. I'm usually a pay off in full person, but given that it is easy to earn 5% or so on cash at the moment, any reason to not carry a balance at 0%?

I realize there may be a small hit to my credit if my utilization increases, but my credit is excellent, and my total credit limit is high enough that I cant imagine utilization getting over 10% or so.

Not it's essentially "free money" if you are going to just tuck the payments into a HYSA and earn a few hundred basis points on them. Your credit score might take a few points of hit but as soon as you pay it all off it will go back up.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Be double extra sure you pay it off on time though or they will backdate the full 2X% interest for the whole year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

Secured credit cards suck rear end. I now have the score to get literally their best credit card and CapitalOne still won’t return my deposit for the secured credit card I got yeaaaars ago. Some are better — BofA did return my secured deposit after two years — but the whole process is opaque and nonsensical. Save your hundreds of bucks.

There should be banks with bottom-tier cards that have no fee, no deposit and no rewards. Check out your nearby credit union at least.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Be double extra sure you pay it off on time though or they will backdate the full 2X% interest for the whole year.

Not every card is issued by Synchrony. Please don't give blanket advice like this in a financial thread, even though you're erring on the side of caution, it's misinformation.

To OP: Yes, that's a viable strategy. It's an additional way to squeeze some money out of sign up bonuses and on cards with otherwise no rewards.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Girbot posted:

Not every card is issued by Synchrony. Please don't give blanket advice like this in a financial thread, even though you're erring on the side of caution, it's misinformation.

To OP: Yes, that's a viable strategy. It's an additional way to squeeze some money out of sign up bonuses and on cards with otherwise no rewards.

Which cards don't backdate interest if you fail to pay them off in the period?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

Which cards don't backdate interest if you fail to pay them off in the period?

Some charge regular interest - i.e. you don't pay off during the period, end of period interest starts accruing interest. Some if you don't pay off the balance before the end of the promotional period, they go back to the beginning of the period and charge you all the interest. The fine print is nuts sometimes, and synchrony seems to be the one most likely to have offers with really brutal hidden caveats.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Store credit cards in particular are the most likely to have that terrible retroactive interest clause.
For those taking advantage of/considering a 0% APR offer:
  • Check if the offer has the already mentioned retroactive interest if not paid off in full clause
  • Interest free doesn't mean payment free, make sure you are making minimum payment on time each month
  • I don't know how normal grace periods are handled at the end of these offers, so my assumption is they try to screw you. Have the card paid off to $0 at the end of the offer with no pending or recurring charges on it. I'd then keep the card unused for 2 billing cycles before starting to use it again to be sure new purchases aren't accruing interest immediately.
  • If you're putting the extra money into a high yield savings account, that extra interest you're making is taxable as ordinary income. Just something to consider when deciding if this is worth doing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Looks like the Amazon Visa is going from 5% to 3%. :(

Edit - I'm dumb and forgot my Prime sub was ending.

Email I got posted:

Amazon.com
Dear valued customer,

We're writing to inform you that the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card (ending in 8076) currently in your Amazon Wallet is now earning 3% Back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market. This Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card will continue to earn 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, as well as 1% Back on all other purchases.

For more information regarding changes to % Back rewards at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market, please visit our help page.

To browse frequently asked questions or learn more about cardmember benefits, please visit www.amazon.com/myrewardscard.

Thank you for being a valuable Amazon customer. We look forward to rewarding you everywhere you shop with the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card.

Sincerely,
Amazon.com

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 10, 2023

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Are you sure your Amazon Prime subscription didn't just run out?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

THF13 posted:

Are you sure your Amazon Prime subscription didn't just run out?

Haha dammit you're right, T-Mobile removed that benefit from my plan and I haven't resubscribed. Thanks.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Amex chat brushed off my "I'm gonna cancel" threat with a "what do you want to do" response. Should I bother calling in to see if I get a retention offer or is this how its going to be on the phone too?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I've had better success being more direct with Amex. If you really do want to cancel if you don't get a retention offer, say so, otherwise I say something like "I'd like to check to see if there's a retention offer on my account".

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

saintonan posted:

I've had better success being more direct with Amex. If you really do want to cancel if you don't get a retention offer, say so, otherwise I say something like "I'd like to check to see if there's a retention offer on my account".

When is the best time to do this? After the AF posts?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cacafuego posted:

When is the best time to do this? After the AF posts?

Yes. You can only get a retention offer once every thirteen months, so that factors into it as well, but right after the AF posts is primetime for retention requests.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Goddammit Amex... It took a day and a half to transfer MR points to my Hilton account, and over the intervening day they dropped availability of the rate on the room I wanted.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

If you have an Amazon/Chase card you may be eligible to get double points.

https://www.chase.com/mybonus

Amazon via Chase offers Select Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Cardholders: Earn Double Rewards on Everyday Purchases made between May 1 and July 31, 2023 for up to a maximum of $1,000 in purchases. You must fill out the short form that is linked and "activate" the offer.

4% at Gas Stations, Restaurants, and on Local Transit and Commuting (including rideshare)
2% back on all other purchases
You will continue to earn unlimited 5% back at Amazon.com, Whole Foods Market, and on Chase Travel purchases with an eligible Prime membership

It's Amazon Points and not Chase Points so keep that in mind.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Strong Sauce posted:

If you have an Amazon/Chase card you may be eligible to get double points.

https://www.chase.com/mybonus

Amazon via Chase offers Select Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Cardholders: Earn Double Rewards on Everyday Purchases made between May 1 and July 31, 2023 for up to a maximum of $1,000 in purchases. You must fill out the short form that is linked and "activate" the offer.

4% at Gas Stations, Restaurants, and on Local Transit and Commuting (including rideshare)
2% back on all other purchases
You will continue to earn unlimited 5% back at Amazon.com, Whole Foods Market, and on Chase Travel purchases with an eligible Prime membership

It's Amazon Points and not Chase Points so keep that in mind.

This will come in handy, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so these travel portals, the ones that the travel-themed credit cards make you go through to get the points on travel purchases, what exactly does that entail? do you get the same flights and prices to choose from that you'd get on kayak or the airline's website?