Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

So who's paying for those fabrication materials, storage space, and electricity? It's the court, right? Which is about to become a non-thing?

See, if this had happened before the discussion on her considering leaving to the Court, I would've found that conversation much more realistic. You've put all this time and energy into connecting yourself to a supercomputer and turning yourself into a technoentity. If the court leaving meant all of her research and poo poo would suddenly come to an end because of zero funding/materials/space, "ok but what if I did go with the court" would make much more sense, because now we've seen what she'd actually be losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

So who's paying for those fabrication materials, storage space, and electricity? It's the court, right? Which is about to become a non-thing?

See, if this had happened before the discussion on her considering leaving to the Court, I would've found that conversation much more realistic. You've put all this time and energy into connecting yourself to a supercomputer and turning yourself into a technoentity. If the court leaving meant all of her research and poo poo would suddenly come to an end because of zero funding/materials/space, "ok but what if I did go with the court" would make much more sense, because now we've seen what she'd actually be losing.

These are all just editing whoopsies, aren't they.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

When the Court leaves, wouldn't the buildings remain? Depending on how much power Kat needs, and the facilities she has access to right now, she may be able to make up solar panels or wind turbines for her power needs, and as far as getting materials, she is literally worshipped as a goddess by the robots, so I'm sure they would be willing to help gather resources for her.

Or she never thought of that, and the Court is going to pull the rug out from under her.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Randalor posted:

When the Court leaves, wouldn't the buildings remain? Depending on how much power Kat needs, and the facilities she has access to right now, she may be able to make up solar panels or wind turbines for her power needs, and as far as getting materials, she is literally worshipped as a goddess by the robots, so I'm sure they would be willing to help gather resources for her.

Or she never thought of that, and the Court is going to pull the rug out from under her.

I doubt Tom put even one single thought into the logistics of it so Kat's probably fine.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't like it when transhumanism is portrayed as bad or corrupting.

Especially when Annie, the protagonist, has been more than human since day 1.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Honestly this is disappointing because... When we saw glimpses of the machine god it was terrifying, otherworldly, this mash-up of insectoid hivemind queen and impenetrable metal that the robots both cowed and worshipped with the power of life or death over them, and something that reduced Zimmy to primal terror. It was a contrast to Kat as she is now and so very alien and powerful.

Now if we get the machine god Kat, all I'm going to see in my head is this chuuni black-eyed generic monologue.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

JuniperCake posted:

I doubt Tom [...] one single thought

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

coolusername posted:

Honestly this is disappointing because... When we saw glimpses of the machine god it was terrifying, otherworldly, this mash-up of insectoid hivemind queen and impenetrable metal that the robots both cowed and worshipped with the power of life or death over them, and something that reduced Zimmy to primal terror. It was a contrast to Kat as she is now and so very alien and powerful.

Now if we get the machine god Kat, all I'm going to see in my head is this chuuni black-eyed generic monologue.

The implication is that this is an irrevocable step along Kat's path to apotheosis, the end point of which is Giger Machine Goddess.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Wait a sec, way back when Zimmy first saw Kat's etheric form in Divine, that wasn't a vision of the future or anything, so what was it? What's truly been in her all along? Or some Norn-related fuckery?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

artichoke posted:

Wait a sec, way back when Zimmy first saw Kat's etheric form in Divine, that wasn't a vision of the future or anything, so what was it? What's truly been in her all along? Or some Norn-related fuckery?

Jones's origin story, and her explanation of how Coyote put the stars in the sky, state that etheric beings exist before they are created by the deaths of humans whose belief creates them. Time travel, basically, but not the Norn kind.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The implication is that this is an irrevocable step along Kat's path to apotheosis, the end point of which is Giger Machine Goddess.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the next page consists of her just wrapping all the floating tech around herself, and *boom* Machine Goddess.

I wonder if this will lead up to Annie eventually using Coyote's tooth to kill Kat instead of Loup.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

She said earlier it exists within dimensionally compressed space. I expect it's probably internally powered by this point too, given everything else she's built in there power plants seem like an obvious thing. The main question is material, although it's likely the court has been supplying so far; when they go it'll be far more limited until more can be obtained.

It seems like the scale of it is an outgrowth of court/kat technology basically being past the Von Neumann threshold, so the whole thing was able to self-expand out over time.

Depending how compressed it is I wouldn't be surprised if it was physically inside the chip. Seems like the kind of thing she might do.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 8, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DontMockMySmock posted:

Jones's origin story, and her explanation of how Coyote put the stars in the sky, state that etheric beings exist before they are created by the deaths of humans whose belief creates them. Time travel, basically, but not the Norn kind.

Not even time travel per se, but seemingly existing outside the flow of time in a sense. Once they exist, they always existed

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

You could possibly infer that the Court is basically a living organism that can provide for the people who reside there, develop and maintain its own power supplies, and grow new buildings for storage, etc.

Materials? That's a bit harder to address. A living court could possibly generate that, too, with creating factories and assemblies to craft stuff. However, that leads to a lot of follow up questions about who staffs a place like that, or if the Court doesn't provide those things then how are they shipped from the outside? It gets down to granular things that I don't think were ever contemplated and didn't matter up to this point, but little instances like this where suddenly Kat apparently has instant access to all this stuff makes you wonder in passing where it came from before.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

christmas boots posted:

Not even time travel per se, but seemingly existing outside the flow of time in a sense. Once they exist, they always existed

Imagine a timeline, retconning itself, forever

Nuns with Guns posted:

You could possibly infer that the Court is basically a living organism that can provide for the people who reside there, develop and maintain its own power supplies, and grow new buildings for storage, etc.

Materials? That's a bit harder to address. A living court could possibly generate that, too, with creating factories and assemblies to craft stuff. However, that leads to a lot of follow up questions about who staffs a place like that, or if the Court doesn't provide those things then how are they shipped from the outside? It gets down to granular things that I don't think were ever contemplated and didn't matter up to this point, but little instances like this where suddenly Kat apparently has instant access to all this stuff makes you wonder in passing where it came from before.
Yeah, this + other people's observations are good ones. I agree it's not really something that was taken into account, or even necessarily should be - kind of like asking "why was Annie able to do so much improbable whimsical poo poo at the start of the comic" (the answer being because it's cool/interesting), it's often fine to just leave little logistics questions in the background and not acknowledge them - but with the whole severing from the Court and "why the gently caress does Kat want to go with them again", it starts to feel like a missed opportunity.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was "grown from a seed bismuth", after all. Bismuth crystals are very easily grown and have a very pretty, nested rectangular structure that looks a bit like a colorful futuristic cityscape. (The "bismuth" that created the Court likely being named metaphorically rather than being the literal element, of course.)

Kat's work as an extension of that would be an interesting angle to take, but again, as you note, we're probably just going to have to infer it offscreen.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Paz, next page: "Okay cool, but can you use that scanner to find yourself a new girlfriend?"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

Kat activates the chip and says, "There! Now we'll be able to track what Loup is doing at any given time. No matter what we're up to, or where we are, we'll be able to check in on Loup!"

Oh hell yeah, called it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GunnerJ posted:

Oh hell yeah, called it

"He...he appears to be at Uncle Tony's House of Spaghetti...having a candlelight dinner?"

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Good to see that Tony still enjoys being in the kitchen after the daughter he loved cooking with was killed

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The biggest plot point in the Uncle Tony's House of Spaghetti chapter would be Annie learning she has a cousin we don't meet and is never mentioned again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Paz going through all the face emojis.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Annointed posted:

Paz going through all the face emojis.

Yeah like, we're back to me being confused as to why she's smiling warmly? Is she in "gently caress it, I'm leaving, who cares" mode now?? Just a few pages ago Paz was tearing up while talking about how she can't take seeing Kat putting herself in unhealthy situations over her obsession with work, and now that she's seeing Kat doing exactly that she's...smiling warmly?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah like, we're back to me being confused as to why she's smiling warmly? Is she in "gently caress it, I'm leaving, who cares" mode now?? Just a few pages ago Paz was tearing up while talking about how she can't take seeing Kat putting herself in unhealthy situations over her obsession with work, and now that she's seeing Kat doing exactly that she's...smiling warmly?
My take is that Kat made a difficult choice easier for Paz.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think this is the sort of calm smile you get right before hell breaks loose. Some people transition from angry to eerily calm rather than visibly furious.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It just read to me like a forced smile. Like she's nodding and pretending to be happy but on the inside she knows she needs to break up with her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Last panel is extremely clearly 'Annie notices with concern how much Paz is hiding her emotions and faking a smile to Kat'.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Her eyes/eyebrows don't say "fake smile" though. I don't think that was Tom's intention, or if it was, it's not communicated well.

I think she's just happy that Kat is apparently safe and back in her body.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't think that was Tom's intention, or if it was, it's not communicated well.

Ah, too long for a new thread title.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Her eyes/eyebrows don't say "fake smile" though. I don't think that was Tom's intention, or if it was, it's not communicated well.

It's a fake smile based on the context of the conversation her and Annie JUST HAD. The only way it could be more clear is if there was a box that said "Paz is faking a smile here"

There's legit issues people bring up with the current state of the comic but then theres stuff like this where it feels like I'm being pranked

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, Paz is full on doing the "This is fine" meme right now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that, or the mood whiplash has gotten so bad that even characters inside the comic are going "Wait, what the gently caress?"

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Agaragon posted:

Yeah, Paz is full on doing the "This is fine" meme right now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's this. I don't think she's gonna contradict what she just finished saying to Annie and do a 180 on this whole thing. So she's putting on a brave face. Or maybe she feels relief because she's finally making a decision about something that tormented her for a bit, whatever. It doesn't really matter. Almost every character wears their heart on their sleeve now, so there's no reason not to take what they say at face value.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There Bias Two posted:

Paz, next page: "Okay cool, but can you use that scanner to find yourself a new girlfriend?"
Kat: "Haha watch this!

I don't get it Paz this girlfriend scanner keeps coming up "no data".

Paz?"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Next page is paz still smiling and “Kat, I’m breaking up with you”, end chapter

timeskip six months

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
its obviously a strained smile.

compare the weird smile from earlier:

here, while the smile is roughly the same shape, her eyes are still clearly emotionally open and available to kat and the viewer

comparatively, the smile from today is closed off; not only is she emotionally unavailable, she is outright disengaged from any other person in the room (and the viewer)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

timeskip six months

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Kat: "Oh wow, I can't believe how neatly that whole Omega thing turned out! I'm kind of sad that Annie's dead even though it was entirely her fault. What about you Loup?"
Jerrek: "Can't talk Shell lightly scuffed her knee."
Kat: "Oh no!"
Gamma: "Oh no!"
Zimmy, cured now: "Oh no!"
Lana: *still image of a monument depicting Loup commiting elf genocide while crying over her corpse*

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow Annie, way to put Paz on the spot.

Also why is the plot happening off-screen again? Isn't Kat's reaction to this the perfect time to showcase some character development?

Imagine if Paz's final line in the comic is "well..."

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmao yeah ok, we're doing this now then? And we get an End-chapter mark hahaha.

There Bias Two posted:

Imagine if Paz's final line in the comic is "well..."

Oh god. I hope that's not the case.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

timeskip six months