Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

I think the game needs Doom 4/5s weapon wheel/slow down time feature because the weapons all have fairly good niches where I want to swap between them and I can already tell that I'm gonna get caught scrolling between guns as the roster of weapons increases in size.

Mouse scrolling? Time ago I did custom weapon binds for GZDoom, and at this point my fingers are accostumed to. I used the same here. 1-2-3 are still the same, as they are close enough to WASD, for 4 (minigun) goes to F, 5 (rocket lancher) to Q, 6 (plasma rifle) to E and 7 (BFG) to R.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I still prefer HL-style weapon scroll. Press "3" for gun, press "3" twice for other gun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as a controller user i want a weapon wheel too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Controllers have a dpad for that, which the HL2 console ports took advantage of. Left for a gun, left-left for a different gun, left-left-left for a third

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

site posted:

as a controller user

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

haveblue posted:

Controllers have a dpad for that, which the HL2 console ports took advantage of. Left for a gun, left-left for a different gun, left-left-left for a third

i don't know how you don't see a wheel with time pause being much simpler than having 8 weapons bound to 4 keys

gaming on the couch is comfortable

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I have a mousewheel, the issue, and this is a thing I want in all boomer shooters, is I only want it to scroll through certain guns because in any given shooter or level you use certain guns more often and in more common scenarios than others.

Scroll wheel with all guns works well in these games early, but then eventually Ive got a shitload of guns and it breaks down in efficiency and then Im either fighting to find the one gun I want in the rotation or hunting and pecking which means hands leaving the killing floor. In a twitchy game like supplice thats an awful feeling for me, and can be solved real easy with the Doom 4/5 time slowdown radial menu

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Dusk has a weapon wheel without the time slowing thing and it's kinda frustrating given how well Doom pulled it off.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Scrolling through your weapons and pausing time is for newbs. Sorry but that's #facts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

i don't know how you don't see a wheel with time pause being much simpler than having 8 weapons bound to 4 keys

12 weapons!

I don't really have anything against weapon wheels but it feels good to not have time pause when switching

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squeezy Farm posted:

Scrolling through your weapons and pausing time is for newbs. Sorry but that's #facts

yeah well I'm going on 37yo and don't give a single poo poo about pretending i can or even want to power game like I'm 16 still

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I used a Zboard with 11 bindable buttons directly over wasd, no need to run alternative binds to switch to 7, 8, or 9.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I spend hours and hours working at a computer and some days I rather use a controller on my PC or consoles and relax on the couch.

Controllers are fine, mouse and keyboard is fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gaming shouldn't be "comfortable." Gaming is a hardcore, disciplined, take-no-prisoners lifestyle and it's about time you people remember that. Gaming from a couch, with a controller is the equivalent of watching a baby show, like Barney the Dinosaur.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Sounds like American McGee is retiring from game development:
https://twitter.com/americanmcgee/status/1644438260087922688
https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-adventure-81049672

quote:

/../
For my part, I have also reached an endpoint with "Alice" and with game production in general. I have no other ideas or energy left to apply toward getting a new Alice game made. Nor do I have any interest in pursuing new game ideas within the context of the current environment for game development.
/../

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

haveblue posted:

Infinite Warfare takes place in a sci-fi universe completely divorced from reality. It’s still rah-rah jingoism but since none of the political entities actually exist it’s easier to take

IW is basically the Battlestar Galactica game we never got.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I finished Supplice, including the bonus map, that is E3M1.

Enemies:

I forgot one thing: I liked the tweak to the chaingunner: a bit even more dangerous at close range, but much less accurate and therefore less lethal at medium to long range. No more being sniped by him.
The bonus map shows a pair of new enemies: a kind of ethereal enemy, melee flying and high RoF but fragile, who can be walked through, and another flying drone which is one of the most boring enemies in the entire game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Gaming shouldn't be "comfortable." Gaming is a hardcore, disciplined, take-no-prisoners lifestyle and it's about time you people remember that. Gaming from a couch, with a controller is the equivalent of watching a baby show, like Barney the Dinosaur.

The doctors say I should elevate my heart rate for at least 30 minutes daily, but I'm doing it all day with Gaming. "Mice"? More like "mace" as I swing my umpteenth mouse into the floor by its cord and catch the spray of plastic bits in my face.

I've never been addicted to something I hate more than this.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 8, 2023

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

site posted:

yeah well I'm going on 37yo and don't give a single poo poo about pretending i can or even want to power game like I'm 16 still

I'm 37 too, just bind weapons after 4 to around WASD. They don't need to tip us into the dumpster just yet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't think those keys are on my controller

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Is there a controller version of those MMO mice?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't like using the scroll wheel for weapons. I feel like they should include sensitivities so I don't fly past the shotgun to the rocket launcher with the melee enemy rushing me down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

I think the typical Razer Naga MMO mouse had ~17 buttons on it, whereas the Razer Wolverine controller--at least the version I have--has over 30(?) different buttons and inputs on it (if you count things like the analog stick providing directional input AND an R3/L3 downward press as two separate "inputs/buttons").

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 8, 2023

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anomalous good buy for 7 bucks?

I enjoyed it on my one playthrough, which was around the time that it had the first few levels up to the reactor (?). I'm holding off on a second playthrough to check out the new levels since the guy plans to revamp the first few levels.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the typical Razer Naga MMO mouse had ~17 buttons on it, whereas the Razer Wolverine controller--at least the version I have--has over 30(?) different buttons and inputs on it (if you count things like the analog stick providing directional input AND an R3/L3 downward press as two separate "inputs/buttons").

I think an Elite controller is technically like 34? Everything once and a button you can hold to make everything do something else.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not that i haven't actually considered getting a controller with paddles in the past when i've been flush with cash, because i have (finding one where the paddles aren't just the 4 face buttons seems to be harder tho), but spending 150 bucks on a new controller seems like overkill when a weapon wheel has already been designed for the gzdoom platform. it's not some far out ask, the work has been done. obviously they couldn't just literally use that mod but i can't imagine it would be hard to do something similar

site fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 9, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

catlord posted:

The Steam Deck is basically the fanciest controller complete with a built-in screen. Seriously though if they made a Steam Controller v2 that was the Deck without the screen, that would be my controller.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Currently playing Call of Duty GHOSTS on a pair of Nintendo Switch Joycons (Mario Red & one spray painted gold) that are hot-glued together.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

site posted:

not that i haven't actually considered getting a controller with paddles in the past when i've been flush with cash, because i have (finding one where the paddles aren't just the 4 face buttons seems to be harder tho), but spending 150 bucks on a new controller seems like overkill when a weapon wheel has already been designed for the gzdoom platform. it's not some far out ask, the work has been done. obviously they couldn't just literally use that mod but i can't imagine it would be hard to do something similar

Oh yeah I'm not suggesting that route.

I do love my Elite controller though, so much so that when the left bumper got stuck and I couldn't fix it, I bought another one despite being annoyed at build quality. I cannot run and jump and shoot without it now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

Oh yeah I'm not suggesting that route.

I do love my Elite controller though, so much so that when the left bumper got stuck and I couldn't fix it, I bought another one despite being annoyed at build quality. I cannot run and jump and shoot without it now.

Agreed, I don't think I've ever used a controller that felt as good as the Elite V2--so much so that, even after burning through three of them on a single warranty before giving up and moving to a Razer Wolverine--I STILL have to occasionally talk myself out of picking up another one.

I hate that a company can make a controller feel that good and also have like a 40% failure rate in the first 12 months.

Meanwhile, my Razer Wolverine was purchased in APR 2020 and is still trucking along with zero issues.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Currently playing Call of Duty GHOSTS on a pair of Nintendo Switch Joycons (Mario Red & one spray painted gold) that are hot-glued together.

competing with Barudak for 'worst first person shooter' experience, huh

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 9, 2023

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Are the joycons individually hot glued for repairs, or are the joycons just permanently attached together by hot glue now? If the latter, how chaotic is the orientation? My money is on back-on-back, flipped so they're vertically opposite.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

it gives me more time to enjoy the holograms talking nonstop while my moba grenade recharges tho

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You don't see Quake 2 mods everyday.

https://twitter.com/Colonthreee/status/1645190562658635776

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Neat, happy to get a look at state-of-the-art Q2 SP. I wish they gave a bit more info/fanfare than just a zip download link though.

==========

Back in Q1 land, this Quake episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253uATgjZwE

Is now out: The Spiritworld (at Slipseer)

And this Quake episode is not out, just announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOgpGb6YM0

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/ValveArchive/status/1645154625799217152?s=19

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.polygon.com/23677197/half-life-alyx-no-vr-headset-mod

Welp, its now possible to play start-to-finish. I'm sure a lot of the magic will be lost, but my eyes have trouble focusing and I've never been able to get VR working for me. So being able to give this a go is so, so cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
After several years in the digital-only wilderness due to COVID, QuakeCon is partially returning to physical form this year - no expo hall, just 100% BYOC LAN like the good old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Aww boo, no general admittance for the 30th anniversary of doom? Thats disappointing, thats going to be super limited for attendance opportunity then if its only for BYOC people to show up.