Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Who do you think is double downing on this? .

All the people that show up to bitch about the idea of expanding anything that’s not car infrastructure at public meetings across America, for starters

This city put four protected bike lanes in and the commuter crowd that doesn’t even live in the city threw a baby shitfit about it so we’ll probably never get any more done ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah i used that and had no issues

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

All the people that show up to bitch about the idea of expanding anything that’s not car infrastructure at public meetings across America, for starters

This city put four protected bike lanes in and the commuter crowd that doesn’t even live in the city threw a baby shitfit about it so we’ll probably never get any more done ever again.

Bikes are kind of a lovely solution to transportation issues unless the place was designed with bikes in the mind in the first place. We put in bike lanes here but our city is so spread out, most people's "commutes" are something that'd be unreasonably long for a bike, you basically only ever see people using them on their ways to/from parks with bike trails which is still a good thing but does nothing to combat what causes traffic.

Ironically the way our city is set up basically all the white collar jobs are in the northwest corner where there are a couple campuses that collectively employ a huge chunk of the area, and all the blue collar jobs are on the east side of town in an industrial district with a bunch of factories which also employs a huge chunk of the area, it'd be very straightforward to set up shuttle services from the residential chunks to these real dense places of work but instead we're just going to get feel good do nothing green solutions like more bike lanes.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Better hope you can both afford an electric car and have a place to charge it otherwise you will be left behind

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Installing bike infrastructure hurts no one, and there’s no reason to not do it, but people show up in droves to complain about it anyway.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's true, most cities are not designed with bikes in mind. they should be bulldozed until they are.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

how the gently caress did altman get where he is today anyway

how did Jeffrey Epstein become (almost) a billionaire before he got got

altmans upwardly-failing trajectory doesn't make any sense at face value

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sam, Alt man here

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

webcams for christ posted:

it's a pretty great hook because it gets him lots of positive media coverage, provides cover for all the evil poo poo Altman is into, distracts from the insane worldview of Strong Longtermism, and all their studies assume as fact that "AI" is right around the corner and will be perfect. and if you criticize it you're a Bad Person

yep but no ones dumb enough to think ubi is even remotely possible right? i mean they’re SO MAD about the stimulus checks and expanded food stamps

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Centrist Committee posted:

yep but no ones dumb enough to think ubi is even remotely possible right? i mean they’re SO MAD about the stimulus checks and expanded food stamps

i dunno im p sure there was one guy that posted he got tricked by scam bankman fraud's effective altruism

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Reminder that many landlords are already colluding to fix prices under an app platform which somehow makes that legal and the app tells them to which units to leave empty rather than rent out for less to keep prices high

https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

The idea that landlords will be forced to lower prices if no one rents their overpriced units doesn’t really hold anymore, the market is entirely manipulated.

This would appear to be a slam-dunk antitrust case if we lived in a functional society with rules that were enforced:

quote:

Experts say RealPage and its clients invite scrutiny from antitrust enforcers for several reasons, including their use of private data on what competitors charge in rent. In particular, RealPage’s creation of work groups that meet privately and include landlords who are otherwise rivals could be a red flag of potential collusion, a former federal prosecutor said.

At a minimum, critics said, the software’s algorithm may be artificially inflating rents and stifling competition.

“Machines quickly learn the only way to win is to push prices above competitive levels,” said University of Tennessee law professor Maurice Stucke, a former prosecutor in the Justice Department’s antitrust division.

But instead the DoJ (under any president) will dick around & then maybe 10 years from now when it doesn't matter fine the realpage company $25k or something.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I still can't believe that health insurers were allowed to gobble up pharmacies & drug benefit managers as they did.

I'm sure there's no conflict of interest in insurers being allowed to have 20 percent profits and also set the price of prescription drugs to be higher under their insurance policies than they are without insurance.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I understand range anxiety as a general concept but I don't understand the obsession with requiring EVs to have like 500, 1000 mile ranges. That's like crossing 1/3rd the continental US in one go, how loving often are people doing that? If gas stations slowly transitioned to having EV charging stations (as opposed to only having them in mall parking lots or specialty spots) and you could get ~200 miles out of ten minutes of charging or so (which amounts to taking a poo poo and buying some snacks on a road trip) what's the big deal?

Plus lower range batteries means more vehicles for the same amount of resources (not as big a deal if/when the new chemistries e.g. sulfur/sodium ion are commercialized), plus the cars themselves could be cheaper. Maybe longer charging times will bring back motor cafes where you hang out for a while letting your car charge, watching the neo-cafe racers zoom out on their e-motorcycles while cyber rock and roll plays on the jukebox

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Apr 8, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I used the digital forms on the irs website this year

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Justin Tyme posted:

I understand range anxiety as a general concept but I don't understand the obsession with requiring EVs to have like 500, 1000 mile ranges. That's like crossing 1/3rd the continental US in one go, how loving often are people doing that? If gas stations slowly transitioned to having EV charging stations (as opposed to only having them in mall parking lots or specialty spots) and you could get ~200 miles out of ten minutes of charging or so (which amounts to taking a poo poo and buying some snacks on a road trip) what's the big deal?

Plus lower range batteries means more vehicles for the same amount of resources (not as big a deal if/when the new chemistries e.g. sulfur/sodium ion are commercialized), plus the cars themselves could be cheaper. Maybe longer charging times will bring back motor cafes where you hang out for a while letting your car charge, watching the neo-cafe racers zoom out on their e-motorcycles while cyber rock and roll plays on the jukebox

its because americans drive 1000 miles to take a vacation

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the new york to florida pipeline is real

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Okuteru posted:

A lot of community colleges also offer trade programs. Mine in California offered welding courses, among others. These ARE the trade schools tons of folks advocate for.

The pre-engineering program at the CC I attended was attached to the same part of the campus as the school's HVAC, automotive, and manufacturing programs. Also my classes there were just straight-up better with more knowledgeable professors than the tier 1 school I ultimately transferred into for my ChemE degree.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't mean to imply all social welfare programs are bad or destined to be hoovered up by landlords, but that UBI specifically has the word "universal" in it, meaning every person in America is getting it. So if your average cretinous greed hog landlord in this country knows that every single potential tenant in the United States has exactly $X,XXX dollars guaranteed going into their bank account on top of whatever the prior income expectations of employment were, their midwit rear end is going to think "I know I can ask for that much more in rent, because if they could afford $1,800/month before they got $1,000 UBI then they can afford $2,800/month now!!"

I think the concept of UBI has merit and there are a number of good arguments as to why we need to look at it as an option moving forward, but this country is so uniquely broken, deregulated, and predatory that I just don't see how the attempt to ease the burden of modern living for a struggling family isn't just instantly devoured by the trillion dollar a year machine that sits on top of our country and was specifically designed to crush struggling families for all the juice they contain and siphon it upward to cool off the family crushing machine.

Obviously the answer is not that we should stop giving welfare, but rather that we desperately need to be imposing hard limits on how much profiteering is allowed. We need a new social contract where human rights and basic needs are divorced entirely from the market.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
if your problem is landlords mao gave you the solution

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Oh buddy I am highly in favor of taking landlords to the beach

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Justin Tyme posted:

Range anxiety at this point is almost entirely a product of infrastructure. You’d have range anxiety for ICE cars too if gas stations were as infrequent, difficult to find, and bizarrely challenging to use as electric chargers.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Range anxiety at this point is almost entirely a product of infrastructure. You’d have range anxiety for ICE cars too if gas stations were as infrequent, difficult to find, and bizarrely challenging to use as electric chargers.

cars should be banned

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

The pre-engineering program at the CC I attended was attached to the same part of the campus as the school's HVAC, automotive, and manufacturing programs. Also my classes there were just straight-up better with more knowledgeable professors than the tier 1 school I ultimately transferred into for my ChemE degree.

Mostly because engineering professors don't really leave academia and work for a few years after their Phds. They really should, but then they become relatively noncompetitive for getting a tenure track professorship at the better schools, and even the middling schools might turn up their noses at the 'worked in industry' time.

Dumb as gently caress, but there we are.

CC's are usually old boys who are doing it as a semi-retired gig to have something to do, and their long experience explaining poo poo to people not in their field is far better prep for teaching than what straight academics do.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
ok ok, cars shouldn’t be allowed on public property

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

We need a new social contract where human rights and basic needs are divorced entirely from the market.

somebody should write a manifesto about this, or maybe jot down some ideas on this subject in a small red book or something, just spitballing here

eta: I don't think leftists should waste much time arguing against universal transfer payments. they're a pipe dream anyway, but it's more interesting to simply agree to the VCs UBI premise and immediately press them how how they'd suggest designing a progressive tax system to pay for UBI or admit their ulterior motives and austerity programs

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Apr 8, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Installing bike infrastructure hurts no one, and there’s no reason to not do it, but people show up in droves to complain about it anyway.

Yeah we had a city council woman who was all about bike and bus infrastructure and so the NIMBY crowd came out and voted her out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah a full swap to EV would require turning gas stations into battery swap stations. Drop off an empty battery, get a full one. I don't know if EVs are even set up for that right now.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

ok ok, cars shouldn’t be allowed on public property

cars, like guns, should be banned from private ownership, public gun ranges and race tracks where you can shoot or race whatever you want will be provided for entertainment purposes only

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah a full swap to EV would require turning gas stations into battery swap stations. Drop off an empty battery, get a full one. I don't know if EVs are even set up for that right now.

swap stations where you leave your entire EV and drive off in a different one would be far more practical, the batteries are half a ton

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

swap stations where you leave your entire EV and drive off in a different one would be far more practical, the batteries are half a ton

yeah. really big swap stations where all the high capacity EVs are strung together and move along on a more efficient, lower friction surface

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

atelier morgan posted:

Oh christ

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

atelier morgan posted:

moving to a rental-only model for private automobiles would genuinely be far more sustainable and usable than the current setup. ban non-delivery non-emergency vehicles within city limits and anyone that wants to drive out can rent a car if they want

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

yeah. really big swap stations where all the high capacity EVs are strung together and move along on a more efficient, lower friction surface

:hmmyes:

the bitcoin of weed posted:

moving to a rental-only model for private automobiles would genuinely be far more sustainable and usable than the current setup. ban non-delivery non-emergency vehicles within city limits and anyone that wants to drive out can rent a car if they want

yeah EVs as the sometimes vehicle for when you need to haul a bunch of furniture or similar is the niche they could still fill in a theoretical sane world with trains

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Apr 8, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
some kinda car-subscription model with unlockables and achievements

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

somebody should write a manifesto about this, or maybe jot down some ideas on this subject in a small red book or something, just spitballing here

eta: I don't think leftists should waste much time arguing against universal transfer payments. they're a pipe dream anyway, but it's more interesting to simply agree to the VCs UBI premise and immediately press them how how they'd suggest designing a progressive tax system to pay for UBI or admit their ulterior motives and austerity programs

:hmmyes:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If you boil them for like 5 minutes before baking then they will cook in the same amount of time as sweet potatoes so you can do a yam-potato medley and have them all cooked to perfection. Top with a couple of fried eggs, green onions, and some Sriracha and you have a reason to get up in the morning.

this sounds bomb

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

condo crew winter heating cost brag (it was a relatively cold and snowy april)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe if they can get the charge times down to like 30-60 minutes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fits my needs posted:

some kinda car-subscription model with unlockables and achievements

I already get a lot of points when I drive through signs and race random people and do sick jumps. It owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Really big swap stations are a good idea, EVs don't even have to be involved.