Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mastershakeman posted:

they all have downtowns, density, green space, anything you really need besides jobs. But every remote worker went someplace more picturesque. The only cold city on the list is Rockford.

in my most optimistic outlook it would take a relatively very small public investment to make all of those cities not only attractive but actually good and cool but welp public transit, internet, and healthcare is a nonstarter even in places of 100k people where the material need isn't particularly onerous. a sustainable modern urban core would be child's play in a place like Peoria

none of that hires more cops or pays CEO salaries htough so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in my most optimistic outlook it would take a relatively very small public investment to make all of those cities not only attractive but actually good and cool but welp public transit, internet, and healthcare is a nonstarter even in places of 100k people where the material need isn't particularly onerous. a sustainable modern urban core would be child's play in a place like Peoria

yea it sucks. whats even sadder is the local officials are absolutely desperate for any new blood, they just can't do anything. republicans are just like please god anyone come here, we dont care who

quote:

The Times article provided a history of Peoria’s housing market, explaining why the median home price, $128,100, is considerably lower than the national average of $328,600. The story also delved into the city’s political leanings, pointing out the fact that the population is more liberal than those of surrounding communities. Two local politicians weighed in on the fact that Ostaszewski’s efforts may be making the city even more liberal.

“I don’t care what side people are leaning to. If they’re going to come in and help rebuild neighborhoods and be good neighbors, I think that’s great,” former Peoria City Councilman Jim Montelongo told the Times.

Republican state Rep. Ryan Spain also said he’s not worried about a wave of liberal transplants.

“I think Peoria is an attractive place, whether you’re a Republican or Democrat, a conservative or progressive. … Really, an ideal community is one that you would have people of diverse views.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Bad King posted:

As long as some vets don't live in a mansion on the north shore, they pay approximately $0 in ptax because the USA sent impressionable young idiots to war zones and broke their brains and turned their blood into toxic sludge from burnpits, and Illinois is good for that small charity.

A local angry upset person is upset that there are three, counted himself, THREE households in our subdivision that pay ZERO PROPERTY TAXES and he calculates all the 487 other homes have to foot an extra $ten lattes a year for their freeloading.

they shouldn't get a tax break. that guy is right

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Large cities benefit too much from agglomeration economies. You'd have to end capitalism (maybe just wealth accumulation?) to allow those not-large-cities to start growing again.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
A decade ago, The Articles all predicted that old people would retire to college towns as golf course living in irrigated deserts and filled swampland lost its luster for the Woodstock retirees. The boomers of leisure could go to student symphonies, take classes, and get waited on by students instead of immigrants.

I guess Urbana and Bloomington don't have the appeal of Athens and Berkeley.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

About that long ago I talked to a real estate guy and he went into golf course retirement states being outlawed or made difficult to build due to those goddamn environmental regulations.

(And good if true)

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Greg12 posted:

A decade ago, The Articles all predicted that old people would retire to college towns as golf course living in irrigated deserts and filled swampland lost its luster for the Woodstock retirees. The boomers of leisure could go to student symphonies, take classes, and get waited on by students instead of immigrants.

I guess Urbana and Bloomington don't have the appeal of Athens and Berkeley.

Urbana and Bloomington get snow. Olds hate being cold. Pretty simple.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my secret is just waiting out the hot weather. by the time I'm 69 it's gonna be tropical where I'm at.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Over its lifetime my neighborhood has shifted from family homeowners, to rentals for college students, to retirees (who want to live in town but always drive everywhere).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my area is slowly filling up with vacation rentals. you can always tell because (in addition to rarely seeing anyone come or go), the yard is generally clean but then there will be a rotting jack o lantern sitting by the side of the house for 8 months.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The house next to me was, for lack of a better term, a trap house. The guy who was renting it started out as a regular individual with his girlfriend and their baby, and slowly progressed to where she got kicked out of the house and there were people coming up and down my street constantly in their vehicles and the dude would walk out and throw something in their car and they'd bounce. I am 99% certain I heard gun shots back in November. Weirdest thing I ever saw was me drinking my coffee on a rainy Sunday, only to see two women in short skirts leaving the house and jumping on bikes leaving said house....lol

Dude ended up getting evicted from the place back in Jan. That house is still unoccupied. They left the windows closed but no curtains and the lights on once after he was evicted and every single wall that I saw had been graffiti'd with spray paint in the most methed up artistic way possible.

Dude was the stereotypical methed out paranoid schitzo, and his pit bull constantly broke through the lovely fence into our yard, and he was a very mean pit bull...

Would easily guess that house is still over $450k

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mastershakeman posted:

Lmao at 5 of the top 6 being in Illinois

What the gently caress, I guess my perception is totally warped by being here. Most of the worst cities aren't even on that list!

Your perception is definitely warped. I was going to say something when you were posting before, but Chicago is notable for being weirdly affordable for a city that's a legitimately really nice and desirable place to live. I live in a suburb in CT and my buddy in Chicago's rent is lower than the converted SFHs on my street.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i will never go to illinois

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anime was right posted:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Paradoxish posted:

Your perception is definitely warped. I was going to say something when you were posting before, but Chicago is notable for being weirdly affordable for a city that's a legitimately really nice and desirable place to live. I live in a suburb in CT and my buddy in Chicago's rent is lower than the converted SFHs on my street.

are you aware of how cold it gets?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

My uncle lives in Chicago it’s pretty nice to visit except in the winter

Visited over Xmas once and never again

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

War and Pieces posted:

not for long! :eng101:

this is a selling point in climatehell

also Kids These Days etc back in my day blah blah windchill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's on the great plains so there's nothing actually stopping giant cold fronts, they'll just likely get less frequent. two years ago it hit 4 degrees in austin, shattering records

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois isn't cold until you're up by Rockford! Chicago is warm! Rockford isn't even cold compared to Madison or Minneapolis, let alone the Dakotas!

Rule of thumb is Chicago -7 F is Rockford, -7F is mpls. Rockford gets way lower snowfall and way more days with snow cover since it doesn't just melt right away

Toronto is about the same as Rockford and Montreal Madison, with lower averages in Canada but lower extremes in the Midwest

People are just cowards. However , there is a definite rust damage to be aware of for vehicles that doesn't exist in the south, but a lot of rich home buyers aren't driving their cars into the ground anyways

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i say swears online posted:

it's on the great plains so there's nothing actually stopping giant cold fronts, they'll just likely get less frequent. two years ago it hit 4 degrees in austin, shattering records

haha Chicago is not Rockford there's a giant heat sink right there

it's also just noticeably warmer than it was 20 years ago look at this mf minimizing my lived experience

mastershakeman posted:

People are just cowards.

also this. learn to walk so your legs don't touch your pants it's not hard!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Chicagoland weather sucks rear end for 9 or so months of the year. It's either too cold and humid and windy or too hot and humid.

One time my high school got hit by an F5 tornado but luckily it was the day before school so it only killed a few people. In short the Midwest is a land of contrasts

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Rockford is not asking you to climb a metal staircase and wait 20 min for a train in a giant wind tunnel

Apr 7, 2003

War and Pieces posted:

Chicago's about the same as Pittsburgh in the winter

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I went to Peoria in 2017 for work and the things that stood out were how loving huge the bass pro shop was, and that we saw this thing just cruising around several times in two days:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Not so much anymore!

I didn't even have to watch parking bc of snow emergencies this year bc it never got that bad, and melted before long.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In an actual functioning market, WFH office workers making a $20/plate lunch place in the city core here unviable would mean that the expensive lunch place closes, the rent goes down, and a new business opens in that space with a different business model.

What actually happens is the unviable business closes and the space sits empty because commercial rents cannot come down one iota or the whole scheme collapses. Commercial real estate owners run endless articles in local media about how the homeless must be killed because they're keeping "normal" Americans from returning to the office.

accurate

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
last time investors had this issue they just burned all the buildings down for the insurance money

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/JeremiahDJohns/status/1644695115418533891?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that makes sense. that’s 20% of about 600,000 or so

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

simmyb posted:

I went to Peoria in 2017 for work and the things that stood out were how loving huge the bass pro shop was, and that we saw this thing just cruising around several times in two days:

This is the google result for a neighboring towns police department lol

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

More and more existing homeowners will basically be trapped in their current homes or need to use the entirety of their "gains" as a down payment if they want to move into another house with a higher mortgage payment.

It's not great!

very much looking forward to doing this if and when I outgrow my $4,000 fixerupper (Now closer to $40,000)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

More and more existing homeowners will basically be trapped in their current homes or need to use the entirety of their "gains" as a down payment if they want to move into another house with a higher mortgage payment.

It's not great!

Yeah it sucks. We’d like to move because this was our first house and there’s stuff we didn’t realize we’d like or not like until we were homeowners and parents but even just moving in to identical house just with a different floor plan that we like better would double our mortgage payment.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

amazing

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.latimes.com/california/...s-what-happened

quote:

The California Housing Finance Agency launched the California Dream for All Shared Appreciation loan program two weeks ago, offering qualified first-time buyers up to 20% of the purchase price of a house or condominium.
On Friday, the CalHFA website announced that all the funds “have been reserved.” If you’re not already in the pipeline for a loan, you’re out of luck

two weeks :lol:

e: oops, didn't read page :D

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Apr 9, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

Yeah it sucks. We’d like to move because this was our first house and there’s stuff we didn’t realize we’d like or not like until we were homeowners and parents but even just moving in to identical house just with a different floor plan that we like better would double our mortgage payment.

It really seems like an almost completely unavoidable trap with real estate acting as an investment. If the main reason to treat a home as an investment is "free" equity and if everyone is doing the same thing then that extra equity will never amount to anything for anyone who needs to move within a similar market. All it really does is act as a trap for people dumb enough to borrow against their equity, while everyone else needs to accept eternal, always-increasing mortgages to have any kind of mobility at all.

Apr 7, 2003

Wonder how the rental market is looking here

lol

hmmmmm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wonder how the rental market is looking here

lol

hmmmmm

Whatthe fucj just have them share a wall holy poo poo this is the dumbest style of building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

That's pretty usual here, to provide common access to the rear courtyard area.