Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Klaus seemed tolerable and not creepy or moronic, so obviously he got fridged for catgirl angst. Sigh.

Shut up, Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

“Fridged for catgirl angst” is my new favorite phrase.

Fridged for Catgirl Angst: Let’s Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, Faize is 18.... somehow I thought he was older.

This does not make anything better or okay just... he's a space elf, he should be older, that's the law.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe that is what's supposed to make it better. "Oh he's 18, but he's an elf so developmentally he's a very mature 12."

Doesn't work but maybe that's the idea. Would explain why he was in any way impressed by Edge earlier.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In the previous LP the idea was raised that you could probably make this an okay experience if, even if everything else was the same, you just went completely ham with the localization script and made it an outright Star Trek parody, since it's already Dumb TOS most of the time anyway

Like take the same scenes but just, for example, rewrite Edge's dialogue to be full Kirk/Brannigan

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 6, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a similar thought, actually.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 18 - Star Ocean 1 was a pretty cool game, right guys?

"C-captain's Log, 19-I mean, Space...

drat it, I just killed a planet full of people due to my own incompetence!

*Uncontrollable sobbing is heard*

Why do I SUCK!? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

"I believe it best to land on the nearby planet of Roak for maintenance. Will that be satisfactory?"

We get a prompt, but there's no point saying no, unless you desperately want to do something aboard the Calnus. Item creation isn't even available right now.

Click here for our awful journey to Roak.

Edge does not respond.

"Right."

Edge continues to be sullen as everyone does their jobs.

The Calnus begins on its way to Roak.

Yeah, we're doing this right now.

"Hi yourself, pipsqueak! Lookin' cute, as always!"

The world may be a blasted hellscape, but anime is eternal.

"What the heck is she talking about...?"

"This is just how Welchie is, 'kay?"

"You couldn't...get through to us?"

"Yeah! Where'd you all run off to, anyway?...Huh!? W-wait a second, don't tell me...! Are you and Edge getting all cozy with each other behind my back!? Now, now, now...You two should know better than to keep secrets from Auntie Welch! C'mon, spill the beans! I want every juicy detail! Like...how'd you get past the whole "childhood friend" thing?...Huh!? W-wait, don't tell me it's the cat..."

Did...did Welch just imply they had a threesome with Meracle?

Oh thank gently caress. If only more characters had the spine to cut transmission on Welch.

"If Welch contacted us, that means..."

"Yes. Bacchus's hypothesis was correct. It would seem we were in a different dimension, after all."

"Your homeworld has not been destroyed in this universe, your Earth still exists."

"What...?"

Now Playing - Yin and Yang

"It doesn't change the fact that the other Earth was destroyed...It doesn't change the fact that I destroyed it..."

"Edge..."

"Billions of people died, but you're all happy because we're safe? That makes us no better than the Cardianon!"

"That was...Look, it couldn't have been helped."

"If only I hadn't handed over the exalithium crystal..."

"...I know how you feel. My immaturity once caused me to lose much while I was attempting to fulfill my duty as a Morphus. I have experienced much agony and regret. And yet I have never found a complete answer. But I live with the belief that one day I will find that answer....Mr. Edge. You may have much worry and regret, but keep moving forward nonetheless. If you let it hold you back, you will simply moulder away."

And then the ship shakes.

Now Playing - Arrhythmia

"The ship! We're under attack!"

"Attack!? But why would anybody-"

"Forgive me, Miss Reimi. I'm afraid to say...I was somewhat careless."

"Putting it up now!"

"They're...not registered! It's not from Earth or Eldar!"

"I'm detecting a strong energy burst! We can't dodge it!"

Now Playing - Roles to Play

"Hey, he's that..."

"I'm only chasing my prey. If you get in the way, I'll shoot you down, too. Stay out of this if you value your lives, amateurs."

The real Edge Maverick ends the transmission and zooms off into space. God, what an edgelord.

"But still...what do you think that black ship was?"

"That I cannot say, but I can say what we must do next. Damage may be light, but nevertheless, we have sustained an attack. We must check the ship and perform maintenance."

"I suppose that gives us another reason to land on Roak. Are we able to navigate?"

"The attack produced a slight alteration in our course, but it should be easy enough to correct."

Reimi briefly looks at Edge.

"Please take care of it. Very well...Let us continue toward planet Roak."

Now Playing - Past Days (Fantasy Remix)

Those of you who know your Star Ocean would have recognised the name Roak the moment it popped up. For those that don't, it's the setting of the first Star Ocean game. The track playing now is a remix of part of SO1's OST, as is basically every track we hear on Roak.

Brace yourselves, because this little adventure is going to be drenched in references!

"Your orders, Captain."

*Ineffectual pantywaist grunt*

Most of the crew shakes their heads.

"...Do we really have to land on Roak?"

"Our reasons for landing are all valid....Bacchus, if you will?"

"Our new exalithium crystal is putting too much stress on the ship's generators. It will take no small amount of time to recalculate our energy conversion matrix. Upon landing, we must put the ship's systems into sleep mode to complete the recalculation as quickly as possible."

"And don't forget checking the ship and performing maintenance duties."

"And above all, our original SRF mission takes utmost precedence."

"But..."

"...That is all."

Everyone gets back to work while Edge continues to sulk.

End scene.

"Yes. Its civilization level is...well, by Earth standards, it would be roughly equivalent to the middle ages. Naturally, our level of technology would be an impossibility here."

"I...I don't want to interfere...with anyone..."

"Yes, Mr. Edge. For that reason, I have installed optical camouflage devices on the Calnus and hidden it from sight. I will camouflage myself as well."

"Yes...please..."

"W-well then, let's start looking around!"

Here we are on Roak. Our first task...to immediately go back onto the Calnus!

Click here for Roak's Private Actions.

To summarize: Welch tries her usual routine on Sad Sack Edge, Lymle tries to trick Edge into cheering up, Meracle and Edge are sad sacks together, Bacchus makes a metaphor sad sack Edge can't comprehend, and Reimi tries to nag him out of sad sackiness.

With those scenes out of the way, it's time to explore Roak for real.

Now Playing - For Achieve (Brass Remix)

Naturally, a remix of Star Ocean 1's battle theme. It will play for all regular encounters on Roak. After looking it up, I think I prefer the original.

"Alright, everyone! First Roak battle, let's go!"

"Alright!"

"...How pathetic we all are, being so excited for violence..."

"Uh oh..."

"Have we ever considered how many innocent creatures we may be slaughtering on our arrogant quest for self-satisfaction...?"

"Edge, those Unicorn Wolves breathe fire. They want to set US on fire!"

"The Kobolds understand how to fashion weapons and clothing...could we be destroying a growing sentient people? Are we committing genocide for our own convenience!?"

"Mr. Edge, there are countless Kobolds across multiple planets in the galaxy, killing the handful attacking us will change little."

"C'mon, Edgie, say something fun for your victory quote."

"No...I can NEVER have fun again! NEVER AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!"

"Oh my god, he's going to be like this all day, isn't he?"

"All week, even."

"I believe a month may even be a viable estimate."

To be clear, Edge is now throwing a hissy fit in every battle and will say nothing when winning or gaining a level.

Also, there are far more enemies around than those detailed above, but...they're all incredibly uninteresting pallet swaps.

Since it's not a spoiler any more, I'll inform you that Meracle is one of a species found on Roak, a cat-people called "Fellpool". Specifically, she's a "Lesser Fellpool" which are a more explicitly cat-like people. Most Fellpool just have tails and maybe some other feline/animal features, and don't do cringe cat acts like Meracle.

"Morphus data does indeed indicate that most inhabitants of Roak are tailed."

"So...do you think this is Merry's home planet?"

"The probability would seem high."

"Isn't that great, Merry?...Merry?"

"Hmm...I don't know."

"Huh?"

"Well, it does smell kind of like where I was born, but there's also something different about it."

"Could it be an issue with the composition of the atmosphere?"

"It's such a small difference...I don't know. Anyway, let's keep looking around for a while. Is it okay if I stay with you guys?"

"Yes, of course it is."

"We'll go together, 'kay?"

"Tee-hee...Thanks. That makes me happy!"

"So, what shall we do now?"

"Well...Why don't we see if we can't find some sort of settlement? I'd like to see what the level of civilization is here. Of course, undue contact and interference is not permitted, under any circumstance. Nor may we reveal our origins. I'm asking you all to operate within the bounds of common sense."

After this, we're free to keep moving, eventually triggering a cutscene.

Click here to see chocobos Star Ocean's mounts.

"What's that?"

That is a Bunny, the mascot of the Star Ocean franchise. They are unto Star Ocean what Chocobos are unto Final Fantasy, including the fact we can and will eventually ride them.

Golly, why is Faize being focused on here?

"It's a big huge...rabbit?"

"It was so round and meaty...Didn't it look yummy?"

"It must be easy for it to navigate these mountains. I'm envious."

"Hold on! I just want one teensy-weensy bite..."

It's like the most important person in her life didn't die recently or something.

Edge finally stops moping and starts moving.

Reimi seems to stumble for a moment. We'll find out why eventually.

Join me next time, where we overdose on Star Ocean 1 references.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2023

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Yea, this is what several folks back in the day referred to as the Emo Edge section of the game. On one hand, yea he made a bad judgement called that set off a chain of events that saw the destruction of a planet and it's indigineous species and anyone would be badly affected by that. But again, this games heavy handed writing takes it to a whole new extreme.

In another story, this could have been a powerful arc, as Edge must come to terms with what happened and find the resolve to continue the mission and the determination to do better so that nothing like that happens again. but we get what we get with this game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

its horrifying that for a brief moment Welch is tolerable. "hey, get some sleep, eat a burger, I'll come back later to be insufferable"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

We're leaving girl.jpg in charge forever, right? Not that she's all that much better than Edge, but outside of the cat she's the only one on the crew who definitely did not have a hand in blowing up a planet, so she's got that going for her.

It occurs to me that Edge's name is actually genius, because you can't come up with joke names for him that are any funnier than his actual name.

SO1 deserves better than to be mined for references by this trash fire.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The enemies on this planet are very rewarding. A shame they started running away all the time because I leveled too much.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rabidredneck posted:

Yea, this is what several folks back in the day referred to as the Emo Edge section of the game. On one hand, yea he made a bad judgement called that set off a chain of events that saw the destruction of a planet and it's indigineous species and anyone would be badly affected by that. But again, this games heavy handed writing takes it to a whole new extreme.

In another story, this could have been a powerful arc, as Edge must come to terms with what happened and find the resolve to continue the mission and the determination to do better so that nothing like that happens again. but we get what we get with this game.

yeah, Edge is not wrong at all to think "I have just hit 0.2 kilohitlers through my own unequivocally awful judgement calls, I should not be the guy who makes these decisions anymore." you can't even say he couldn't have known better: he absolutely should have! with the information available to him at the time all of his decisions were incredibly stupid, dangerous, and low-reward, and at the end of the day he killed an entire planet thanks to it! a frank conversation about how someone else should be captain now is probably a good idea!

however, by Space Anime Law, the rest of his crew have the job of telling him that we all have a bad day where we kill 2.5 billion people and he shouldn't let it get him down, and the resulting vibe is WEIRD.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought it would be later, but Bacchus' PA is now doing the thing I wish he never started talking about. This is intolerable.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, I'm in favor of girl.jpg remaining captain provided all known info.

Pros:
Not the one that recruited Lymle
Disagreed with being left behind on the ship on AU Earth
Didn't get AU Earth exploded to an obvious villain

Cons:
Bad at managing her relationship with Edge
She hesitated to leave Edge to fight bugs alone in the intro, I guess? That one's kinda valid though.

"girl.jpg for Calnus Captain year two-thousand whatever this is again"

In solid agreement with the others that this would be a good "wake up, grow up, become a hero arc" for Edge provided this game had the chops to do any of that right. Now it's time for the game to convince us that "blowing up alternate Earth really wasn't that big a deal, Edge; cheer up"

Regarding the events, yeah, that's severe overuse of the ellipsis. They're not bad when used sparingly, but man, did they just spill their box of drama flavored Ellipsis all over the text.

FeyerbrandX posted:

its horrifying that for a brief moment Welch is tolerable. "hey, get some sleep, eat a burger, I'll come back later to be insufferable"

It truly is. :iit:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I heard stories that this section of the game was bad, but I have to say it's a lot better than I was expected. At least Reimi isn't slapping the poo poo out of Edge like Aya would for rightfully blaming himself for making a really loving stupid decision. Game is being surprisingly non-anime for once.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

megane posted:

It occurs to me that Edge's name is actually genius, because you can't come up with joke names for him that are any funnier than his actual name.

I can't get over it. It's just so ridiculous and earnest. It really captures the game's whole thing about trying so desperately to make you think Edge is cool, and failing so completely at it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If they leave Reimi and she proves an adequate captain and Edge redeems himself by supporting her I think it would go a long way to improve my opinion of the writers.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, Edge is not wrong at all to think "I have just hit 0.2 kilohitlers through my own unequivocally awful judgement calls, I should not be the guy who makes these decisions anymore." you can't even say he couldn't have known better: he absolutely should have! with the information available to him at the time all of his decisions were incredibly stupid, dangerous, and low-reward, and at the end of the day he killed an entire planet thanks to it! a frank conversation about how someone else should be captain now is probably a good idea!

however, by Space Anime Law, the rest of his crew have the job of telling him that we all have a bad day where we kill 2.5 billion people and he shouldn't let it get him down, and the resulting vibe is WEIRD.

Yeah, this is where I"m at: Edge is 210% correct in thinking he's responsible for the deaths of millions of people on alt!Earth and absolutely should feel guilty about it... but his friends' response is basically "but it wasn't *our* Earth, so cheer up emo kid! :downs:"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

If they leave Reimi and she proves an adequate captain and Edge redeems himself by supporting her I think it would go a long way to improve my opinion of the writers.

*looks at marshallow creep's avy* Yeah, that's the face I'm making right now trying not to laugh too hard at your joke.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The game wants to show that Edge is traumatised, depressed and guilty. The game's writing is not good enough for that, so it just shows him being emo, whiny and melodramatic.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Bonus points for the SRF for putting a 17 year old in charge of an interstellar warship.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Bonus points for the SRF for putting a 17 year old in charge of an interstellar warship.

Edge is actually 20, although I suppose that's only marginally better for a command role.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the US at least, officers start at 23 on average. I am not sure there is a real listed age requirement but officers usually need an education and a period of service. In the navy you can expect to spend 13 years working your way up to captain.

As amusing as it is to imagine Edge Maverick finishing college as a 7 year old to start his officer career, we do know that that his promotion was odd. On the other hand, we also know one of his friends is a legit captain and they are reasonably close in age, so it's more likely the SRF is just clownshoes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There is precisely one defense I can think of for EDGE MAVERICK here and that's that the entire Milla situation is so cartoonishly stupid no rational person would have expected her to build a world-destroying reactor that was conveniently missing the one part Edge happened to have while ranting about conquering space with... slower than light ships she can't build herself, I guess.

Thus the deaths of 2.5 billion people in bizarro world doesn't count because everyone we met in bizarro world was a dumb cartoon character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Really if Star Trek mirror universe is any indication, Edge did everyone a favor

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Really if Star Trek mirror universe is any indication, Edge did everyone a favor

I don't think Klaus had a goatee... however Moon Governor evil baby Poirot has a mustache... I think we're in the evil mirror universe. Also Edge doing the genocide is an evil mirror universe thing to do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Edge's planet has been ruined as well, while that one is still habitable. We really are playing the baddies.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like I get what they were aiming for, and it's a real victim of how ludicrously rushed SO4's plot is. If the game had taken the time to build up the idea that Milla was a reasonable person (or at least that Edge might have cause to think that), then we could feasibly see Edge as well-intentioned but naive. If there had been some foreshadowing where Edge angsted over the fate of future Earth, was struck by the beauty of this past version, etc. then it might seem like he had motivation to trust someone he shouldn't. But the whole arc has to fit in one cutscene at the end of a dungeon, so Edge goes from fighting the giant bionic monster she built (to guard the child she's been torturing) to handing over the World Exploder in like 30 seconds of casual discussion.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

megane posted:

I feel like I get what they were aiming for, and it's a real victim of how ludicrously rushed SO4's plot is. If the game had taken the time to build up the idea that Milla was a reasonable person (or at least that Edge might have cause to think that), then we could feasibly see Edge as well-intentioned but naive. If there had been some foreshadowing where Edge angsted over the fate of future Earth, was struck by the beauty of this past version, etc. then it might seem like he had motivation to trust someone he shouldn't. But the whole arc has to fit in one cutscene at the end of a dungeon, so Edge goes from fighting the giant bionic monster she built (to guard the child she's been torturing) to handing over the World Exploder in like 30 seconds of casual discussion.

We definitely needed a moment where the team gets to see the wonders of the past Earth and not just the desert outskirts 5 meters away from Area 51. That plus a more convincing Milla would have gone a really long way to provide a much needed backbone for this outcome. Maybe she could do something to make Klaus seem untrustworthy? You've all known each other for like 5 minutes, you can shake an opinion pretty easily then.

No time for that, though, onwards goes the plot

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 19 - 'Memberberry

"...Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

I spend every moment on Roak in agony, remembering my foolish stupidity on the alternate Earth of 1957. Why did Reimi have to bring us here? What if I act so stupidly again, and condemn another planet full of life to extinction?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SOMEBODY, CALL ME THE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE!"

"Quick, Reirei! Edgie needs a Wambulance, kay!?"

"No he doesn't, he just needs to STOP!"

Anyway, our walk from the Calnus is largely uneventful, until we reach this, the entrance to the first of a few towns on Roak.

Click here to see Roak's first town.

Now Playing - Innocence (Cheerful Remix)

Faize catches Lymle before she can go running into town.

Everyone is alerted to the sound of ominous chanting from behind them.

"What a strange manner of dress..."

(The townspeople seem to be ignoring them.)

Just a reminder that Bacchus is in stealth mode to avoid being seen by the locals.

"Who cares? They don't have anything to do with us."

"...True."

As they pass by, one of them says "We offer ourselves to Asmodeus", among other things. Those who've played Star Ocean 1 know who that is in the Oceanverse, and those who haven't can guess what type of person they are.

The robed blokes shuffle off into the city.

As everyone else filters into the city, Reimi once again gasps in pain, clutching her leg.

"Y-yeah...I'm fine."

"Be careful."

Edge walks off into the city.

Reimi hobbles her way forward, and the scene ends.

Here we are in Tatroi, a city featured in Star Ocean 1. Although we have free movement for now, we can't go very far before engaging another cutscene.

Click here to see Edge immediately break his own non-interference vow.

Everyone stops mid walk upon hearing an odd scream.

"It sounded like someone said "aaah." Was it a scream?"

"Hmm...For a scream, I'd say it lacked a sense of urgency."

The line is delivered in what I can only describe as a sickeningly sweet monotone.

Bacchus does not seem overly concerned about decloaking in the middle of a busy street.

"I knew it was a scream! Meow!"

"Edge!"

Everyone runs into the alleyway.

Cut.

That's Reimi.

That's Bacchus.

The masked men start taking feather lady away.

"This calls for a clever solution, I think. We want to avoid hurting the hostage."

"Indeed. It would be reckless to charge in screami-"

Now Playing - For Achieve (Brass Remix)

Edge felt it was necessary to add flair to his rescue by superjumping to safety.

"But..."

"Are you sure it was best to let them go? Should we not have at least turned them over to the authorities on this planet?"

If you thought the point of this scene was Edge getting his mojo back, no, he's reverting to Edge Maudlin now.

"Edge..."

"If someone asks for help, you help. That's just the way you are, 'kay? So why do you look like you want to cry, Edgie? You haven't done anything bad."

"Mmrgh...Are you making fun of me?"

Now Playing - Walking on Air

"Me and my manners. I haven't even thanked you for rescuing me yet..."

There were characters with the surname Jerand in Star Ocean 1, both having the same wings. They are related, although the entries make it clear she's their aunt, not their mother, seeing as those character's parents are dead in SO1.

Cut.

"Pardon?"

"I didn't have any intention of saving you...I didn't mean to get involved..."

"But the end result is that I was rescued, right? I really, truly must give you my thanks."

*Ineffectual pantywaist indescribable noise*

"...Oh?"

"I-is there something on my face...?"

"My, my, my. I've just remembered."

"You remembered? What did you remember?"

"Then I remembered-it was at the Purgatorium."

Also a Star Ocean 1 thing. Yaaaaaay.

"Well, now. This sounds interesting indeed."

"Yes...the Purgatorium is located in the northwest of this continent. It's the most historic structure there is."

"You're a little slow on the uptake...both of you."

"So...what did you mean when you said you've seen us before?"

"The stone statues in the Purgatorium."

Reimi gasps when Sarah mentions the Muah.

""Muah"...?"

"Some say the Muah are our ancestors, but now they're like ghosts...Nobody even knows if they exist anymore. You can't tell the history of this land without mentioning the Muah. There's even an entire continent named after them."

Which was in Star Ocean 1, but we won't be going there.

"Muah...Ah, yes. I remember now."

*Telling gasp noise*

"I believe it was the Cardianon who referred to Edge and Reimi as "descendants of the Muah.""

"...Yeah."

"If the Muah and Earthlings are somehow connected, do you think Roak might be involved as well?"

(I see...Yes, that would seem to be a possibility. If that is the case, we may be able to get closer to the origins of both Earth and Roak.)

"Yes. Just thinking about it gets the blood racing!"

"Faize, you kinda look like Edgie right now."

But Edge is acting like a depressed sack of poo poo, while Faize is being peppy and excitable.

"How about it? I think it'd be worth our while to investigate this Purgatorium."

*Ineffectual pantywaist gasps*

"Edge...Reimi?"

"You rescued me. Won't you let me repay you by acting as your guide?"

"If the chicken-I mean, Sarah-is coming, then count me in, too." *Lip licking noise*

"Well, how about it? It sure would be helpful to have a local to guide us."

"Yes, that's definitely true..."

"We can't travel with anyone from this planet! Absolutely not! Right now I may not be in command, but that is one thing I will not allow!"

If this game had any balls, it would be awesome if Reimi just called him on this, and Edge had to go sulk in the corner.

"Edge..."

"Edge, don't you think you're being too hard on her?"

"Whatever our initial reasons, it is we who made first contact. And Sarah is clearly motivated only by kindness."

"No, no, don't concern yourself with me. But please, do allow me to be a busybody about one thing...If you don't ride a bunny, there's no way you can get to the Purgatorium."

"A "bunny"...? Are you serious?"

"Some nomads are camping outside the town right now. Why don't you go see them about the bunnies? Maybe they can help you."

Sarah curtsies, and then walks away.

Everyone walks off, and the scene finally ends.

We are finally free to explore Tatroi in full, but there's nothing particularly interesting for me to show you guys. Going outside to the nomads is our next objective, but that's a story for another time.

Join me next time, where Faize falls in love after a few minutes contact with a girl.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 25, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"What a strange manner of dress" is real funny coming from this group.

Reimi stubbing her toe or getting a leg cramp and limping kinda like the cloaked people dedicated to Asmodeus seems weird and may be a set up for something but I don't trust this game to have that kind of forethought.

Also what the hell Edge? If you don't want any kind of contact with people, why are you continuing to walk around on the planet. Just leave if you're going to be like that.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 9, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember Star Ocean 1 making it in the US. Was there a remake or fan translation?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think there was a psp remake?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
PSP remake in the mid-2000s, yes.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't remember Star Ocean 1 making it in the US. Was there a remake or fan translation?

I think there was a psp remake?

Yeah, First Departure. Released the year prior to Last Hope.

Then they did another remake called First Departure R for the Switch in 2019.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ah yes, throwing away party members, that'll really make the audience like Edge now.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yes I forgot about the switch port, I forced my way through the snes fanpatch after like 2 or 3 other attempts that just petered out. I don't even know if I would buy an SO2 port on switch because 90% of the charm is PEAR INTO PEACHES and other things like that.

Speaking of SO1, I'm pretty sure SO4's failings are pretty close to it in my mind. One of the worst things in both the games are how they keep building up something to be the main antagonist, then rug pull into some other group that you've never seen or heard of before. And they keep doing it.

At least SO2 and SO3 seem to limit it to just a couple times. Generic demons to the Wise Men and Vendini to Angels/Luther respectively.

e:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ah yes, throwing away party members, that'll really make the audience like Edge now.

Actually.... yeah, no Edge was right to try to keep her out of the party, we don't need Meracle to start walking around with a knife, fork and bib and a gigantic salt and pepper shaker all the time.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 9, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And now we've run into (maybe) the worst character in the game

Those of you consuming only the screenshots need to watch the video for her voice acting cause my god

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

And now we've run into (maybe) the worst character in the game

Woah nelly, I can appreciate not liking Sarah one bit, but surely we can't put her on the same level as Meracle and Lymle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

LJN92 posted:

Woah nelly, I can appreciate not liking Sarah one bit, but surely we can't put her on the same level as Meracle and Lymle?

It's funny how this series does character names. You've got names that wouldn't be out of place on a server's nametag in Wisconsin mixed with the likes of Fayt Leingod, Lymle whatever-the-hell, and of course Edge fuckin' Maverick (sick guitar riffmournful guitar keening.)

Speaking of our protagonist, holy poo poo what a tiresome pain in the rear end. He keeps finding brand new ways to be intolerable, I'm almost impressed. For all that, though, I gotta say, I'm having a ton of fun reading this LP. Much more than I would playing the game. Thanks for doing this!