Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Also California's power infrastructure regularly hits its breaking point every summer. I'm not sure how having a steel mill on every other corner is going to work?

Seems more feasible than trying to charge EVs at night with solar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

financial capitalism is not capable of building out the charging network required for mass EV adoption, in 20 years there will be deserts full of unsellable EVs just rotting because capital is unable to make any infrastructure anymore

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they have no plan for how to charge EVs at home if you don't have indoor parking

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

actionjackson posted:

they have no plan for how to charge EVs at home if you don't own a detached one lol

They do have a plan. the plan is to let the private sector figure it out

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wonder if there will be a market for EV conversion kits in the form of hubmotors (or using the existing drivetrain; hubmotors have some disadvantages despite being simple) and drop in battery modules that go in your trunk/engine compartment if the all-in cost of the kit + installation/labor is under, say, 10k

People already do EV conversions using junkyard Tesla or Hyundai motors/batteries but it's all very junkyard DIY at this point.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Standardized batteries that can be swapped out at a station like riders used to change horses

Or we just normalize people living within 300 miles of their work and loved ones for the most part and use trains for everything else

Japan's motorcycle companies standardized on a battery form factor and self-serve swapping station, so that at least has already happened, but the car solution is still unsolved

(ban cars)

e: this thing

E4C85D38 has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Apr 8, 2023

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

They do have a plan. the plan is to let the private sector figure it out

That and keep moving the deadline back.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
a competent goverment would have had hearings on the state of fortune cookies these days

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhzDS9Xpno

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sullat posted:

Yeah we had a city council woman who was all about bike and bus infrastructure and so the NIMBY crowd came out and voted her out.

we need to abolish any government and legal structures below the nation level. your small city isn't special and doesn't need its own laws

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...=uverify%20wall

Making $100,000 in New York feels like $36,000. Best you can do is Tennessee where it is $86,000

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

where's pittsburgh on the list

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they’re going to ban the sale of new non EV/Hybrids. This is also already happening, there is a already in place deadline in California of 2035. the EPA is also about to issue emissions rules that will practically make that the case nation wide.

not a chance. the automakers already basically stopped making cars so they could make trucks and suvs to skirt emissions laws. there will never be regulation that even threatens profitability in any industry in america ever again. the economics of evs don’t work.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...=uverify%20wall

Making $100,000 in New York feels like $36,000. Best you can do is Tennessee where it is $86,000

*goonishly* theyre all computor janitors complaining about making SIX (6) FIGURES crying and pizzing and shidding their pants that they cant afford treats anymore, im doing just fine in bumfuck iowa on a 20,000 paycheck living in my moms basement

seriously though someone posted the other day about how boise idaho of all places has insane median home prices and it's like, what the hell are we doing here, the economy is massive and corporations are making record profits and every year after loving year life is getting objectively worse and harder

now we've got AI bullshit on top of it all and a bunch of tech evangels are going on about how it's going to bring about a new revolution in humanity but, like, how's that gonna help the lady working full time retail barely surviving

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Apr 9, 2023

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

quote:

Nice strawman. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
this turn into d&d or something? wtf kind of probe is that

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

the automakers already basically stopped making cars so they could make trucks and suvs to skirt emissions laws. there will never be regulation that even threatens profitability in any industry in america ever again. the economics of evs don’t work.

again I’m not opining.

it’s happening right now. it started taking off last year. the IRA has really slammed the accelerator though.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2023/02/13/ford-taps-michigan-for-new-lfp-battery-plant--new-battery-chemis.html

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-treasury-secretary-visit-gm-jv-battery-plant-tennessee-2023-02-06/

https://pressroom.toyota.com/facility/toyota-battery-manufacturing-north-carolina-tbmnc/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2022/05/24/stellantis-samsung-ev-battery-plant-indiana/9909477002/

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/hyundai-sk-build-new-battery-plant-georgia-2022-12-08/

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/30/1145844885/2022-ev-battery-plants

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/05/map-which-states-will-build-the-most-ev-batteries-in-2030.html

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol is there a big automaker not building a major battery plant right now?

there might not be one!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

didn't read

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol even shitbucket Nissan

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/nissan-ups-its-ev-target-plans-second-us-battery-plant

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

buddy... you're spinning your wheels. you'll never convince them that good things are possible, and might in fact be happening. and on the off chance that you did, they would come up with some insane reason that said good things are actually bad, or that the bad outweighs the good

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tristeham posted:

didn't read

I know right my, but my I’m watching this happen in person, don’t seem to sink in for y’all though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

buddy... you're spinning your wheels. you'll never convince them that good things are possible, and might in fact be happening. and on the off chance that you did, they would come up with some insane reason that said good things are actually bad, or that the bad outweighs the good

while evs are definitely going to sweep over the next 10 years, and theyre less bad than ice cars, heyre still really bad lmao

"good things" would be destroying highway infrastructure entirely

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

*goonishly* theyre all computor janitors complaining about making SIX (6) FIGURES crying and pizzing and shidding their pants that they cant afford treats anymore, im doing just fine in bumfuck iowa on a 20,000 paycheck living in my moms basement

seriously though someone posted the other day about how boise idaho of all places has insane median home prices and it's like, what the hell are we doing here, the economy is massive and corporations are making record profits and every year after loving year life is getting objectively worse and harder

now we've got AI bullshit on top of it all and a bunch of tech evangels are going on about how it's going to bring about a new revolution in humanity but, like, how's that gonna help the lady working full time retail barely surviving

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

all the tech shitheads moved to boise

america needs a hukou system but for professions, if you're a software engineer sorry you're only allowed to live in certain cities

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i'm not sure where the pushback to you is coming from, EVs represent a massive massive new profit opportunity for automakers to build in new service-based bullshit you have to pay monthly for, of course they're going to push to make it happen here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yes bar we get it. Capitalism marches on and is the greatest government system ever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shipon posted:

i'm not sure where the pushback to you is coming from,

it’s very bad for Russia lol because it’s going gently caress up the international oil trade.

The Chinese are selling us all these factories and will benefit from a big drop in us demand for oil.

But it’s terrible news for Russia and the Saudis. it’s also runs counter to the but we are setting up a an alternative to the petro-dollar narrative. because that’s about to matter a whole lot less.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
EVs are just kicking the can down the road instead of focusing on dense urban infrastructure serviced by robust public transit.

And possibly starting degrowth.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

apatheticman posted:

EVs are just kicking the can down the road instead of focusing on dense urban infrastructure serviced by robust public transit.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

apatheticman posted:

And possibly starting degrowth.
There isn't a (non poor) country on earth that doesn't have a sizeable automobile base, even places with the best public transit infrastructure like Tokyo or Amsterdam. Are you gonna keep those on combustion engines with all of the fossil fuel dependence and local air quality problems they entail?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes bar we get it. Capitalism marches on and is the greatest government system ever.

I don’t care about that.

I think it’s dumb to pretend things that are definitely happening, are not. I’m contemptuous of folks doing that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Shipon posted:

There isn't a (non poor) country on earth that doesn't have a sizeable automobile base, even places with the best public transit infrastructure like Tokyo or Amsterdam. Are you gonna keep those on combustion engines with all of the fossil fuel dependence and local air quality problems they entail?

They haven't been around that long. Mistakes can be reversed. Abort cars.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t care about that.

I think it’s dumb to pretend things that are definitely happening, are not. I’m contemptuous of folks doing that.

Ok

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shipon posted:

If you build the right infrastructure, people automatically look to get rid of their cars when they don't need them.

Supplement that with a car share situation for people who need to make long hauls. You'll have significantly less car ownership.

Cars are a depreciating asset, suck to insure, suck to maintain, suck to drive in a big city, and suck to store in a big city.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shipon posted:

all the tech shitheads moved to boise

america needs a hukou system but for professions, if you're a software engineer sorry you're only allowed to live in certain cities

no. All the retired Californian boomers moved to Boise. I made an effort post about this a few days ago.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
how the gently caress is that hellapp still around?

https://twitter.com/JimBourke/status/1644324544273076226?t=yBtHSoxvqPniyYcf3IorTA&s=19

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

its only fair somebody gotta pay for that ~$400 billion submarine scam

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Shipon posted:

switching them to EVs just shifts the fossil fuel dependence and local air quality problems to where they're built and where the metal for batteries is mined, plus half of the local air quality issues are the tiny pieces of rubber that fly off tires which EVs still have, the only way is to get rid of cars completely which we won't do til it's far too late so we're all just hosed

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

apatheticman posted:

If you build the right infrastructure, people automatically look to get rid of their cars when they don't need them.

Supplement that with a car share situation for people who need to make long hauls. You'll have significantly less car ownership.

Cars are a depreciating asset, suck to insure, suck to maintain, suck to drive in a big city, and suck to store in a big city.
Significantly less is not zero. What about delivery people? What are they gonna do, take a bunch of boxes with them on the train or bus?

Maed posted:

switching them to EVs just shifts the fossil fuel dependence and local air quality problems to where they're built and where the metal for batteries is mined, plus half of the local air quality issues are the tiny pieces of rubber that fly off tires which EVs still have, the only way is to get rid of cars completely which we won't do til it's far too late so we're all just hosed
Even including full lifecycle emissions from manufacturing onward, EVs have a significant advantage over combustion engined vehicles, even accounting for the worst case of coal power generated electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Shipon posted:

Significantly less is not zero. What about delivery people? What are they gonna do, take a bunch of boxes with them on the train or bus?

all the delivery people in nyc use bikes or electric bikes, you're a loving idiot