Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This season is boring as poo poo.
  • Carson 3D printing puzzle solutions isn't interesting or endearing at all. It isn't his fault - production is loving lazy
  • I want to jump in a volcano out any time Green Matt appears or speaks
  • Who the gently caress are Heidi and Lauren?
  • If anybody but Carolyn wins who loving cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's kind of cool that Carson prepared for these challenges but the show highlighting it and intentionally making a point of reusing the same challenges just so people can do exactly that kind of ruins it. Sort of like how someone making a fake idol, even if I'm not that keen on it, is sort of cool, but just handing them fake idols is dumb, or like how a successful idol play is good TV but sending someone alone to a tribe of new people with an idol in their pocket to force an idol play is stupid. The show is continuously forcefeeding all things instead of just letting them happen.

I'm not out on the season or anything but it's so funny that the best content so far came from the "journey" that was just a lunch and not some grab bag for advantages, and from the dynamics between Carolyn, Yam Yam, and Josh after Josh's idol was out of the game, and ahead of a TC that got cancelled.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Carolyn is from here so I am legally obligated to pick her as my Pony

Carson seems like too obvious of a poison so I'm going to pick Joshua because his head looks weird

look at this excellent Pony/Poison pick what a great poster

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Interesting tidbit from Josh's exit interview - apparently Matt already knows his idol is fake.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheCenturion posted:

I'm going to be really curious to see, during the after show, if it turns out that her entire thing was an act she adopted, or if she's really that manic pixie in real life.

Her entire thing is being a former addict and a current drug counselor, so it's pretty mean of me to say it but she seems like she did so many drugs back in the day her face just got stuck that way.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Leatherhead posted:

Interesting tidbit from Josh's exit interview - apparently Matt already knows his idol is fake.

Do you have a link to that exit interview?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

IcePhoenix posted:

look at this excellent Pony/Poison pick what a great poster

Gonna copy your merge redraft so we stay tied at #1

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

Gonna copy your merge redraft so we stay tied at #1

I will enjoy our race to the bottom

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The demon Kane survives again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think this was a case where Carolyn’s own baggage is part of the equation. Like they did listen to her because they did still vote Josh. But they were also concerned that he had an idol. And Carolyn confirmed he had one. So then it became down to them not being sure if they trusted this lady they just met’s evaluation that it was fake. They clearly didn’t dismiss it out of hand the way other people have with Carolyn, they just didn’t accept it on faith because who the hell is Carolyn to them?

So even though I’ve been totally pro team Carolyn and thought like those bros or her tribe were dicks go her I think that was just Carolyn having the baggage of “here we go again” when the others were just being careful.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Do you have a link to that exit interview?

It's the RHAP one:
https://robhasawebsite.com/survivor44-episosde6-exit-interview/

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

TheCenturion posted:

I'm going to be really curious to see, during the after show, if it turns out that her entire thing was an act she adopted, or if she's really that manic pixie in real life.

When I was in the emo/rock scene in high school, basically every band had one member whose mom was a recovering drug addict or alcoholic who was just like her. Always loud, always super supportive of their kid, always a little out there (sometimes more) but friendly enough and loyal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its safe to say Carolyn is legit but obviously the experience is stressing her out and ramping her personality up.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Take home that million, Carolyn.

I kinda respect Carson’s try-hard. Everyone else sucks pretty much.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Joshua just couldn't stop with the unforced errors huh

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fast Luck posted:

It's kind of cool that Carson prepared for these challenges but the show highlighting it and intentionally making a point of reusing the same challenges just so people can do exactly that kind of ruins it.

When Evvie does it in 41 they ban the puzzle ball-pyramid, never to be seen again.

When Carson does it in 44 they fuckin love him for it.

Wonder what's different

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mp5 posted:

When Evvie does it in 41 they ban the puzzle ball-pyramid, never to be seen again.

Wonder what's different

Well so far we've never seen the tree puzzle again... Jeff loves it that someone went that far to 3D print their puzzles at home. But the producers probably loving hate it because now they realize they got to actually make new puzzles every season instead of rehashing the same poo poo.

mp5 posted:

Joshua just couldn't stop with the unforced errors huh

"I'll just tell different lies to different people, I'll also lie about my profession. I'll go super far in the game!"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I massively enjoyed Josh's entire gameplan depending on no-one talking to each other.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I do think this was a case where Carolyn’s own baggage is part of the equation. Like they did listen to her because they did still vote Josh. But they were also concerned that he had an idol. And Carolyn confirmed he had one. So then it became down to them not being sure if they trusted this lady they just met’s evaluation that it was fake. They clearly didn’t dismiss it out of hand the way other people have with Carolyn, they just didn’t accept it on faith because who the hell is Carolyn to them?

So even though I’ve been totally pro team Carolyn and thought like those bros or her tribe were dicks go her I think that was just Carolyn having the baggage of “here we go again” when the others were just being careful.
yeah like they said on KIA, just because this person who came from a 3-person tribe with Josh and who voted with him to vote out another tribe member says it's fake, doesn't mean you have to take that at face value. even if you think it's probably fake like she says, you can make contingency plans. We've also learned since then that Matt knows his idol is fake. So maybe he learned the birdcages are supposed to come with two idols somewhere along the way, so he knows someone else from his tribe got the real one and figures if there's smoke around Josh there might be fire.

mp5 posted:

Wonder what's different
retiring a challenge Evvie already solved dosen't affect Evvie though, so as long as the show/Jeff still positively highlighted it (which I can't remember for sure but i think they did) then the only thing different is that Jeff is now leaning more into "making" this happen in the future, which seems to be his new M.O., trying to script moments

njsykora posted:

Yeah I massively enjoyed Josh's entire gameplan depending on no-one talking to each other.
funny enough the one person he told it was fake (Jaime) was one of the biggest believers that it was real

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 7, 2023

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Just watched this episode last night and haven't engaged with any discourse yet but I'm kind of getting irritated by everybody but Carolyn and Yam Yam. Everyone else is acting like a gamebot. Matt's analogy at tribal when he didn't even have a vote made my eyes roll out of my head.

Also, if we're at the point where these people can make their own puzzles and memorize them then it's time to construct some new ones. It's not fun to watch.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fast Luck posted:

retiring a challenge Evvie already solved dosen't affect Evvie though, so as long as the show/Jeff still positively highlighted it (which I can't remember for sure but i think they did) then the only thing different is that Jeff is now leaning more into "making" this happen in the future, which seems to be his new M.O., trying to script moments

On the 41 episode where this happened Jeff asked Evvie about it and did his whole "I'm really paying attention to you and i love this" thing, going so far as to talk directly to the camera and encourage this. Then, according to Evvie's post-game EW interview:

quote:

And they didn't show this, but Jeff [Probst] at Tribal Council that night was like, "Just so everyone knows, we're retiring that puzzle." So sorry to you Survivor fans, practice other ones.

It's only been a couple of days and I haven't read Josh's post-game stuff but I do think this reinforces what we know about Probst and the kind of contestants he likes

Shneak posted:

Also, if we're at the point where these people can make their own puzzles and memorize them then it's time to construct some new ones. It's not fun to watch.

This is correct. Whoever runs the challenge department must really be stoked that they've come up with a system of modular challenge components that can be mixed and matched without making more new ones since they can just do that, tell the Dream Team to run it, and keep getting paid. Good for them tbh, but less ideal for us watching at home

"oh, great, they're doing the iconic Fish Bone puzzle Thingie challenge" as if we're watching someone get to play Plinko on Price Is Right

wanna win survivor? better buy a 3D printer first lol

mp5 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 7, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

On the 41 episode where this happened Jeff asked Evvie about it and did his whole "I'm really paying attention to you and i love this" thing, going so far as to talk directly to the camera and encourage this. Then, according to Evvie's post-game EW interview:

It's only been a couple of days and I haven't read Josh's post-game stuff but I do think this reinforces what we know about Probst and the kind of contestants he likes
Yeah then, not trying to be annoying but I don't get that jeff is anti Evvie and pro-Carson or something from this. If he praised Evvie and talked directly to the camera about how cool it was, then saying they're retiring that specific puzzle afterward is not anti-evvie at all (she'd already done it!)

And apparently they didn't actually try to retire their old puzzles since we've seen that tree puzzle a ton. James from last season said like half the cast had bought it on Etsy and studied it.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Hope springs eternal. What could this mean

https://twitter.com/xoxocaitlyns/status/1644377589123883008

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If it's still a newbie season then a new location would be the thing that makes the most sense to me

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Finally, another race wars season.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wonder if they'll be using australia

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hopefully 39 days

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Poque posted:

Hopefully 39 days

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i wonder if they'll be using australia

Hopefully 49 days in Australia with JLP rather than Jeff and also getting rid of all these twists and horrible casting

But that’s just me

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Just bring back opening credits is all I ask.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
auction and cursed car prize are back baby

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Island of the Idols but the Idol is the fire that burned Skupin

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SweetJahasus posted:

Just bring back opening credits is all I ask.

The absolute tease of giving us a few seconds of olay-olay-olay music at the beginning of this ep!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

Hopefully 49 days in Australia with JLP rather than Jeff and also getting rid of all these twists and horrible casting

But that’s just me

Yes, this sounds great. Possibly the worst part of the last few seasons of US Survivor. They've had decent casts with more or less real people, but the focus is on advantages and idols so the cast ends up mostly completely forgettable.

This past season of Australian Survivor didn't even have any immunity idols in play for most of the post merge, and it was fantastic... No advantages, no idols, just letting the cast carry the season.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
I hope it's a new location but I would take different tribe setups. I am so sick of three tribes of six with no swaps (this seasons rotate 1 person from each tribe barely counted) 4 seasons in a row. There is so little room to maneuver with numbers that small especially when people lose their votes. I'm hoping for 2 10-person tribes next season.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Green Matt grates on me too but I think he made an astute play this week to step back and say “okay, I don’t have a vote, let’s get all the numbers here and I can just hide that” and it worked flawlessly. Not gamebreaking genius or anything but a spot where it was definitely somewhere he could have made an unforced error and didn’t.

If Carolyn, Yam Yam, or Danny (or Carson…) don’t win, what are we even doing here edit-wise? So many other players have had near-zero screen time (aside from Matt and Frannie as a pair and then bizarro-Carson Kane this episode only. Brandon got some shine at the center of ep 1 but it’s been nothing since then)

Anyhow, what I want most is to see one of Matt or Frannie betray the other but I can’t see that happening (though I’d love to be surprised!)

I haven’t loved this season but the pre-merge has been better than average for post-40 so I hope they stick the landing.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lol carson

https://twitter.com/TysonApostol/status/1644429043520147456

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My take is that they're finally bringing back the auction.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently it's 90 minute episodes

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/12fv0y7/some_information_on_season_45_according_to/

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

That would actually own.

Between 3 tribes and 60 minutes I feel like I don’t know anyone at all, especially the women. Carolyn is the only one I can name. Why is that Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nexous posted:

That would actually own.

Between 3 tribes and 60 minutes I feel like I don’t know anyone at all, especially the women. Carolyn is the only one I can name. Why is that Jeff.