Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hyperchiller is on sale https://a.co/d/8NLcSdK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

I liked the idea of the oleato drinks from the promotions photos, like a plant based drink but creamy. I, now, cannot look away from social media because people are posting drinks with an entire layer of oil sitting on top of the ice instead of being part of the foam.

This is why I didn't like Hoffman reviewing them at the place he did. It's like reviewing McDonald's burgers in their test kitchen.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is why I didn't like Hoffman reviewing them at the place he did. It's like reviewing McDonald's burgers in their test kitchen.

Worse, he came to a specific high-end place with a crew, a huge reputation and the explicitly communicated intention to make a video about it! it's worse than eating in a test kitchen: it's like eating an actually edible version of the more perfect than perfect tv commercial burger. maybe if he sent someone else to order the drinks or had worn an outlandish, unrecognisable disguise, he could've tasted something that would've been relatively similar to what you might get in a regular starbucks. but this could only result in him getting the absolute best version of each drink.

still fun to watch, but he definitely should've caveated it a bit. i like him, but it kind of seems like the influencer bug is getting to him.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

oscarthewilde posted:

Worse, he came to a specific high-end place with a crew, a huge reputation and the explicitly communicated intention to make a video about it! it's worse than eating in a test kitchen: it's like eating an actually edible version of the more perfect than perfect tv commercial burger. maybe if he sent someone else to order the drinks or had worn an outlandish, unrecognisable disguise, he could've tasted something that would've been relatively similar to what you might get in a regular starbucks. but this could only result in him getting the absolute best version of each drink.

still fun to watch, but he definitely should've caveated it a bit. i like him, but it kind of seems like the influencer bug is getting to him.

To be fair, he did caveat it, but also admitted to not caring that much because of how fun it all was.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I feel like Hoffman's main audience are the people who mix their own olive oil coffee at home right now in response to the video. And not the people who are considering going to a Starbucks for those drinks.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I AM curious if olive oil would solve some of the "alt milks don't steam well" problems, but that's a home experiment calling my name type weekend project

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

VictualSquid posted:

I feel like Hoffman's main audience are the people who mix their own olive oil coffee at home right now in response to the video. And not the people who are considering going to a Starbucks for those drinks.

Yeah this seems like the strongest point here to me, it's not like he's typically in the business of reviewing drinks other people make, so there's not as much integrity being lost there.

Also, the video is currently private so maybe he got wind of the issues at the consumer end and basically agrees with this thread?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

I AM curious if olive oil would solve some of the "alt milks don't steam well" problems, but that's a home experiment calling my name type weekend project

i’ve never tried steaming alt milks but i’m told a lot of the current brands steam just fine, and some of the barista blends steam even better than cow milk

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Starbucks CEO apparently drinks a shot of olive oil every day so I think we know why this madness is happening. The craze over the Mediterranean diet is out of hand.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride

hypnophant posted:

barista blends

I had never heard of these before this post. Serious Eats did a taste test and a shelf-stable Oatly brand one came out on top.

Excited to give "espresso drinks without the unfortunate stomach ramifications" a shot for my weekend effort coffees.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Kirkland oat milk steams about as well as "barista" versions, and is cheaper and shelf stable.

I remain content with my Breville Barista Express. I got a bottomless portafilter and IMS basket, and learned that my shots consistently start as 6 or so streams before foaming up and coalescing, regardless of puck screen or distribution changes. This seems fine, though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I did the Califia barista blend oat milk for a while, steams well but I couldn’t live with the flavor. I will dump some olive oil in my milk when I steam it tomorrow and report back.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I started using my drill to grind with my 1zpresso and I will never do it by hand again I swear

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I enjoy the manual action in the morning. It's part of the ritual.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Brut posted:

Yeah this seems like the strongest point here to me, it's not like he's typically in the business of reviewing drinks other people make, so there's not as much integrity being lost there.

Also, the video is currently private so maybe he got wind of the issues at the consumer end and basically agrees with this thread?

from a cursory glance at his twitter, it seems like he removed it due to becoming aware of starbucks' union busting policies.
https://twitter.com/jimseven/status/1643554251971362818
https://twitter.com/jimseven/status/1643555023559835648

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I finally replaced my 10 year old, cheap-o Mr. Coffee burr grinder with an Ode Gen 2.

Oh my god this is so much better.

I used to think grind size/consistency wasn't that important, because no matter how I ground my coffee it always came out somehow too acidic AND too bitter. My old grinder was giving me tons and tons of fines, plus crazy irregularity in the larger grounds. No wonder I couldn't get a cup to brew the same way twice.

Anyway, my coffee tastes great now. I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Argyle posted:

I finally replaced my 10 year old, cheap-o Mr. Coffee burr grinder with an Ode Gen 2.

Oh my god this is so much better.

I used to think grind size/consistency wasn't that important, because no matter how I ground my coffee it always came out somehow too acidic AND too bitter. My old grinder was giving me tons and tons of fines, plus crazy irregularity in the larger grounds. No wonder I couldn't get a cup to brew the same way twice.

Anyway, my coffee tastes great now. I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade.

It can be a huge upgrade. Wait until you start loving around with water recipes! That can be a similarly large upgrade.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

heffray posted:

I remain content with my Breville Barista Express. I got a bottomless portafilter and IMS basket, and learned that my shots consistently start as 6 or so streams before foaming up and coalescing, regardless of puck screen or distribution changes. This seems fine, though.

I'd pull the trigger on a more expensive Breville machine if they offered flow control without modding. There really aren't any machines for less than $1500 that offer a PID + flow control, which are so nice to have if you're interested in adjusting your shot for different kinds of roasts.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Corb3t posted:

I'd pull the trigger on a more expensive Breville machine if they offered flow control without modding. There really aren't any machines for less than $1500 that offer a PID + flow control, which are so nice to have if you're interested in adjusting your shot for different kinds of roasts.

Gaggiuino will come in well under that, but yeah requires a bit of work.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ulvir posted:

from a cursory glance at his twitter, it seems like he removed it due to becoming aware of starbucks' union busting policies.
https://twitter.com/jimseven/status/1643554251971362818
https://twitter.com/jimseven/status/1643555023559835648
Hoffmann is a Good Dude

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rancilio Silvia workflow question.

I do
-turn on machine, insert portafilter with basket, wait 30 minutes
-remove portafilter, flow hot water through group head
-puck prep, reinsert portafilter
-pull shot

What is the purpose of leaving the portafilter in the machine? I read that it allows it to go up to the desired temperature, but given its small thermal mass, will it not cool down by the time I am done with puck prep? And if the portafilter warms up without hot water flowing through it, why do I need to flow hot water through the group head? Or are these insignificant details that I should not be worried about?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

I do
-pull shot

What is the purpose of leaving the portafilter in the machine? I read that it allows it to go up to the desired temperature, but given its small thermal mass, will it not cool down by the time I am done with puck prep? And if the portafilter warms up without hot water flowing through it, why do I need to flow hot water through the group head? Or are these insignificant details that I should not be worried about?

I'm guessing they suggest running water through the group head to purge any water from the last time you used the machine. Realistically, you could probably keep the portafilter on when you do this to help pre-heat it as well. My Bambino is probably a little different, but I run two pressurized shots through the group head + portafilter to preheat the portafilter its self, with my IMS baskets placed in the milk frothing pitcher that I'm pulling my preheating shots into. Others will just put their portafilter in their pre-heating coffee mug to keep it warm while they do other prep.

I'm not even sure if being so concerned about preheating has a real effect on the overall shot's taste - I should probably do some tests every morning to see if its worth the hassle. I think my overly acidic shots largely had to do with being so dogmatic with my 1:2 ratio, when realistically, 1:2.5-3 is better for the lighter/medium roasts I've been getting from local roasters - even their "espresso blend" is a medium light roast.

It all sounds complicated and unnecessary, but for me, there's no getting around wanting to do 1-2x 60-second empty shots with my Bambino so I can get some really nice hot water into my shot glass and coffee mug. I just try to use the hot water as efficiently as possible for warming the other parts of my espresso machine (portafilter, baskets, puck screen when used) while I'm doing other prep.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 9, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The factory temp on a Gaggia at least is above boiling, so that pre-flush is also to let out any steam that might have built up in the system.

The portafilter being left in to heat up is for better temperature stability during the shot. It will drop some while you are doing puck prep, but it won't drop to room temp in the few minutes that takes.

One of the best espresso machine accessories you can buy is a smart switch. Just program it to come up 30 minutes before you typically make your coffee. Its also nice to be able to tell Google to turn the machine on if I'm on the way home and want it ready when I get there.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride

All the dissolved sugar in my americano wasn't really the worst, but I can't say I would make a second peeps coffee since he stared at me the entire time like a bad borzoi drawing.

Outside of easter peepsperiments, I'm still really enjoying the counter culture toldopamba beans from this month's subscription -- it's got a very light roast so I haven't figured out if I can get anything but a very sour espresso out of it, but I've been really enjoying it hot and flash-iced from the aeropress

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

I do
-pull shot

the portafilter is a big chunk of metal, on the rancilio i think it’s nickel-plated brass. its thermal mass is large compared to the ~80ml or so of water that goes into the shot, so you do want it as close to brew temp as possible. if it’s cool when you put it back in the machine, you either didn’t preheat enough or took way too long with your puck prep. It should be hot to the touch.

if you don’t have a pid on your silvia, the only way you can get a consistent brew temp is to temp surf, which is a whole song and dance with flushing water until the heater light comes on, waiting until it goes back off, and counting some exact number of seconds before starting your shot. If you do have a pid, or you’re not temp surfing, there’s no reason to flush the grouphead (on silvia, gaggia, or basically any other single-boiler machine). The group head is attached to the bottom of the boiler and will be at brew temp not long after the boiler itself is.

Now, by flushing the group with the portafilter in place, you’ll warm up the portafilter faster than you would by just waiting for it to come to temp naturally, at the cost of wasting some hot water. But unlike an e61 type heat exchanger machine, there’s no need to flush the group head on a single boiler before pulling a shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Outstanding, thanks.

I do have a PID, so I will just simplify my routine to:
-remove portafilter
-pull shot

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

All the dissolved sugar in my americano wasn't really the worst, but I can't say I would make a second peeps coffee since he stared at me the entire time like a bad borzoi drawing.

Outside of easter peepsperiments, I'm still really enjoying the counter culture toldopamba beans from this month's subscription -- it's got a very light roast so I haven't figured out if I can get anything but a very sour espresso out of it, but I've been really enjoying it hot and flash-iced from the aeropress

You’re supposed to put a napkin over your head when eating an ortolan.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My lack of willpower is getting closer to getting the better of me and I'm likely to buy another espresso machine soon. I would be willing to spend something like up to £1300 and for that I want:

- Standard E61 group to be able to add flow control and a pressure gauge
- Some sort of temperature control - doesn't have to be to 1°
- Some sort of pressure control
- Those cool touch steam and water pipes
- Something I can learn to maintain and service myself
- Has to be available from a UK source - e.g. the Diletta Bello is not

I am not really bothered about dual boiler - I'm only ever making one drink at a time really and for the extra money it costs I don't think I'd make use of the benefit it gets me.

These are the things I've considered:

Lelit Mara X
+ Cheaper
+ Smaller
- Not standard E61
- No easy pressure adjustment

Rocket Appartamento
+ Standard E61
+ Looks nice
- No easy pressure control?
- All comparisons I see always seem to put its competitors above it, either due to same features for less money, or more features for same money
- Expensive

Profitec Pro 400 - this is what I'm most interested in
+ Standard E61
+ Reviews speak of high build quality
+ Pressure control
+ 3 selectable temperature levels
- Apparently annoying drip tray

Sage/Breville dual boiler
+ Features for price, had to consider based on that
- Plastic
- Not E61

Bellezza machines
- I know gently caress all about these but see them for sale and they're pretty cheap

Is there anything I've not thought of? Anyone care to share any more opinions?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 10, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Question for anyone who works at a cafe/coffee shop and knows the costings.

How much does one pour/shot of milk cost?

All answers from all countries welcome

Wee fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

My lack of willpower is getting closer to getting the better of me and I'm likely to buy another espresso machine soon. I would be willing to spend something like up to £1300 and for that I want:

- Standard E61 group to be able to add flow control and a pressure gauge
- Some sort of temperature control - doesn't have to be to 1°
- Some sort of pressure control
- Those cool touch steam and water pipes
- Something I can learn to maintain and service myself
- Has to be available from a UK source - e.g. the Diletta Bello is not

I am not really bothered about dual boiler - I'm only ever making one drink at a time really and for the extra money it costs I don't think I'd make use of the benefit it gets me.

These are the things I've considered:

Lelit Mara X
+ Cheaper
+ Smaller
- Not standard E61
- No easy pressure adjustment

Rocket Appartamento
+ Standard E61
+ Looks nice
- No easy pressure control?
- All comparisons I see always seem to put its competitors above it, either due to same features for less money, or more features for same money
- Expensive

Profitec Pro 400 - this is what I'm most interested in
+ Standard E61
+ Reviews speak of high build quality
+ Pressure control
+ 3 selectable temperature levels
- Apparently annoying drip tray

Sage/Breville dual boiler
+ Features for price, had to consider based on that
- Plastic
- Not E61

Bellezza machines
- I know gently caress all about these but see them for sale and they're pretty cheap

the mara x has exactly the same feature set as the pro 400. In fact from what i can tell online these machines are functionally nearly identical with respect to your requirements. both have a three-position temperature switch, both have an opv for pressure control (and no live control). both can accept a flow control valve as a mod (which i think would make the opv redundant, but i’m not 100% on how those interact.)

I am not sure what you mean about the mara being “not a standard e61” much less why that’s a con.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

hypnophant posted:

I am not sure what you mean about the mara being “not a standard e61” much less why that’s a con.

Maybe I'm not understanding but their site refers to it as an "L58E" group - not knowing much about it I wasn't going to assume it'd be compatible with E61 additions (edit: Just seen that it's an E61 but without the lower drain valve and a much harder spring on what would ordinarily be the pre-infusion valve). Also doesn't have automatic pre-infusion, only manual by operating the lever such that the valve is opened but the pump doesn't engage.

Does the Lelit allow adjustment of pressure without swapping a spring or similar? To compare to the screw on top of the Profitec.

I get that these two and others are all pretty similar, but not having used one before it's stuff like the above that makes me wonder if I'd end up wanting it in the future.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 10, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Does the Lelit allow adjustment of pressure without swapping a spring or similar? To compare to the screw on top of the Profitec.

yes, there’s a nut on the opv. it requires removing the cup tray and is not a live control, but profitec’s isn’t either.

it has automatic preinfusion by controlling the rate at which the pump ramps up after switching on. unlike rotary pump machines which are connected to line pressure, you cannot do the normal e61 manual infusion. You can see this if you watch videos of shots being pulled - the pressure will increase slowly to ~4 bar, hold there, then ramp to 9 when coffee starts flowing. lelit may call this something other than preinfusion but that’s functionally what’s happening.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Lance Hedrick recently did an in-depth review of the current version Mara X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QFNTOY7uU&t=1788s

It sounds like the best HX to me, but at the prices these all run at I'd be very tempted to stretch to a compact dual boiler machine or get a top tier single boiler and continue using my auto frothing pitcher. The ECM Puristika is pretty interesting to me in that regard.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hypnophant posted:

the portafilter is a big chunk of metal, on the rancilio i think it’s nickel-plated brass. its thermal mass is large compared to the ~80ml or so of water that goes into the shot, so you do want it as close to brew temp as possible. if it’s cool when you put it back in the machine, you either didn’t preheat enough or took way too long with your puck prep. It should be hot to the touch.

if you don’t have a pid on your silvia, the only way you can get a consistent brew temp is to temp surf, which is a whole song and dance with flushing water until the heater light comes on, waiting until it goes back off, and counting some exact number of seconds before starting your shot. If you do have a pid, or you’re not temp surfing, there’s no reason to flush the grouphead (on silvia, gaggia, or basically any other single-boiler machine). The group head is attached to the bottom of the boiler and will be at brew temp not long after the boiler itself is.

Now, by flushing the group with the portafilter in place, you’ll warm up the portafilter faster than you would by just waiting for it to come to temp naturally, at the cost of wasting some hot water. But unlike an e61 type heat exchanger machine, there’s no need to flush the group head on a single boiler before pulling a shot.

If I don't flush my Gaggia it literally will be steam for like 3 seconds, I flush it just long enough that the water isn't boiling off as it exits the group head.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

VelociBacon posted:

If I don't flush my Gaggia it literally will be steam for like 3 seconds, I flush it just long enough that the water isn't boiling off as it exits the group head.

GCP stock will heat the boiler up to 225F, so that's just part of the stock Gaggia experience unfortunately. Once I got my PID installed with the correct temp offset, its been really good. Not having to vent steam or temperature surf is a big QOL upgrade.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I used to own an Appartamento and was always frustrated by its lack of temperature control. What sort of espressos do you intend on making? Do you like lighter roasts? As I've stated before, I think the Lelit Mara X would be my choice.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bandire posted:

GCP stock will heat the boiler up to 225F, so that's just part of the stock Gaggia experience unfortunately. Once I got my PID installed with the correct temp offset, its been really good. Not having to vent steam or temperature surf is a big QOL upgrade.

i didn’t know this! that’s loving stupid

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hypnophant posted:

i didn’t know this! that’s loving stupid

Yeah its dumb. It really threw me off after I installed my PID and I couldn't figure out why my shots were so much cooler than I was used to it producing. I assume a lot of the GCP's quirks are just due to trying to keep the price down. Its still a great starting point though, and the PID really made a big difference for me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gunder posted:

What sort of espressos do you intend on making? Do you like lighter roasts? As I've stated before, I think the Lelit Mara X would be my choice.

I don't have a lot of experience, however I am not particularly into lighter roasts.

I watched the Lance Hedrick video on the Mara X and it appears to confirm what I'd already taken away from this - that there's little between that and the Profitec, there are videos strongly recommending each, and it seems it would come down to preference. One thing I don't think anyone's said is if there's a specific reason to pick the Lelit over the Profitec? I'd put it down as cheaper but that was a mistake - from what I can see they're priced the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I don't have a lot of experience, however I am not particularly into lighter roasts.

I watched the Lance Hedrick video on the Mara X and it appears to confirm what I'd already taken away from this - that there's little between that and the Profitec, there are videos strongly recommending each, and it seems it would come down to preference. One thing I don't think anyone's said is if there's a specific reason to pick the Lelit over the Profitec? I'd put it down as cheaper but that was a mistake - from what I can see they're priced the same here.

I'll be honest I haven't seen much on the Profitec Pro 400 in a while, and it probably does come down to preference in the end. I haven't seen anyone directly compare them.

I think most would say Profitec has better build quality, but Lelit isn't bad. The Mara X has an extra PID sensor to monitor brew water temp and is a little bit slimmer.