Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I drove Lexus ES for 2 years, and the same generation 4 cylinder Camry felt like a sports car by comparison. They really softened it up for geriatric customer base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jokes posted:

Some porsche dude on 11.9: "Was?"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’m listening—what’s possibly more fun at $25k and has an analog clock?
e; this is *me* asking for advice now

Saab Viggen, literally the Swedish response to the E46 M3

gently caress I guess they stopped the analog clock with the 900, nm

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 6, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having my Canyon still broken has resulted in me putting way too much time and distance on my shitbox Jeep, and it's made me start dreaming about picking up another vehicle for a very specific purpose - eating up highway miles like nobody's business.

Proposed Budget: $cheap, I mean this probably ends up going nowhere but $5k would be pushing it.
New or Used: very used
Body Style: Kinda want an actual sedan since I haven't owned one in a decade+ but really not picky.
How will you be using the car?: Long highway drives.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfortable / low-effort highway cruising first, reliability a much lower priority second.

If I had a time machine I'd go to 1997, steal a brand new early W210 E320, and bring it back. But I won't buy one of those now because I know from experience those cars started falling apart 20 years ago and I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't absolutely trashed.

So what am I missing for grandpa cars worth owning? Lexus LS, BMW E39, maaaaaybe a W-body?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 9, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Crown Vic

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Acura RL

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
My dad's old Lexus ES had a ride like a hovercraft, could take speedbumps without slowing down if you really wanted to. Was also delightfully quiet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

thekeeshman posted:

My dad's old Lexus ES had a ride like a hovercraft, could take speedbumps without slowing down if you really wanted to. Was also delightfully quiet.

Also incredibly fun to drive if you put it in sport mode

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Also incredibly fun to drive if you put it in sport mode

:vince:

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

IOwnCalculus posted:

maaaaaybe a W-body?

I don't specifically suggest that you do, but if you're open to one...

Can be had for very small numbers of $, obviously. If you're going to do it you ideally want a 2012 or later Impala - anything earlier will have the 4-speed trans (bad, not quite up to the job, apparently and will almost certainly never have had so much as a fluid change), may have the 3.5 OHV (ok) or 3.9 OHV (bad, cylinder deactivation which shits itself). Or technically a V8, but I think those have all either died of exploding transmission or are in some demented "collector"' 's garage by this point. 2012 gets you the 6-speed and 3.6 OHC that GM has been putting in everything for the last decade, not overly exciting but no real issues as long as you keep the oil clean. Most owners don't know or care what's under the hood and statistically you'd be buying from an estate sale, so you shouldn't pay a premium for the upgrade.

Wheel bearings are typical GM and don't last too long. Steering racks are a roll of the dice around 100k mi iirc & sounds like a job you want someone else doing.

What do I remember...interior is blah, fake wood and nasty plastics abound and they're in that transitional phase contemporary with smartphones really taking off where you have a radio with a bluetooth module...but only for phone calls, nothing else. That said, I had a 2012 and it was screwed together alright, more wind noise than you'd get on a more 'luxe' car but otherwise quiet and robust. Armrests especially on the door are hard and get to be a pain after a few hours. I think this was the end of the line for mouse-fur velour seat upholstery, nice enough in principle but at least here in BC a nightmare due to endless static electric shocks. Front seat space is decent, rear seat legroom is weirdly poor as the driver's seat is much thicker than it seems like it ought to be. Rear seats don't fold unless explicitly specced, which being sold new as rentals they mostly weren't; the giveaway is the rear middle armrest - if there is one, they should. If you find one that does you've probably got a good'un. You will probably need to fix the rear defroster if you intend to use it, they underspecced the wiring that runs through the passenger footwell and they all burn out there if used much. Doors can rust out a bit from the inside - paint seam along the lower edge that wasn't painted properly and collects water. No real material consequence, but looks bad.

Drivability I thought was pretty decent, ride/pothole tolerance is good mostly due to generous tire size but note that if you get a rental car grade one with 16in wheels they seem to be just slightly too much weight for the average sidewall as specced and they can flop around a bit, probably a decent part of why they had such a bad reputation. Gearing obv very long, 30mpg is normal on highway, 35 is doable if you're under about 60mph. The other side to getting the 3.6 is that they are actually reasonably fast (in a straight line, anyway).

I'd never buy one over a similar age ES or comparable sort of thing today, but did when my budget was in the low four figures and I had no major issues bar a couple of $150 parts over two years and 40k? km. The actual problem with them is that they're really one of the quintessential dirtbag cars and you'll look and feel like one too :v: - if you're ok with that, though...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If gas mileage wasn't some sort of concern for me I'd probably be shopping for a GS for my commute. They have to be amazing highway cars.

Still looking for a TDI but drove a 2nd gen Fit with the 5 speed the other day. I liked it and could definitely make something like that work but it has a couple similar drawbacks to my Prius. The mileage they get isn't super great but it would probably be a wash with the difference in price between regular and diesel. The range is lacking as well which is a pretty big knock for me. It felt like it would get blown all over on windy days just like my Prius does too. I might jump on one at the right price, the one I drove was not that even though it was not badly priced for a dealer car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

If gas mileage wasn't some sort of concern for me I'd probably be shopping for a GS for my commute. They have to be amazing highway cars.

Still looking for a TDI but drove a 2nd gen Fit with the 5 speed the other day. I liked it and could definitely make something like that work but it has a couple similar drawbacks to my Prius. The mileage they get isn't super great but it would probably be a wash with the difference in price between regular and diesel. The range is lacking as well which is a pretty big knock for me. It felt like it would get blown all over on windy days just like my Prius does too. I might jump on one at the right price, the one I drove was not that even though it was not badly priced for a dealer car.

I have the first-gen Fit which is pretty similar underneath from what I can tell. The tank is pretty small but I've average around 6.2l or 38mpg I think. Better if I drove slower on the highways so you can get decent range but not like a diesel with 80l tank. I don't know if they improved it significantly but my main issue on the highway is that it's pretty noisy at higher speeds.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A long wheel base sedan is the best thing for highway commutes. So yeah, Lexus ES, Camry, Accord, Fusion etc. Don't buy a hybrid for that particular purpose either, it won't be worth it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like the "golden age" for W-bodies was around the late 2000s and early 2010s, when you could still get them when they were fairly new and hadn't fallen apart completely yet, but they were still *much* cheaper than the equivalent sized Japanese car. I'm not sure if that's really true anymore now that the newest one is getting close to 10 years old. At that point it's diminishing returns, yeah it will still be cheaper but 10 year old cars aren't much money in absolute terms and your chances of catastrophic issues wiping out any potential savings up front increases significantly.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
We have a shitload of W-bodies in the fleet, and honestly, I’d take a 2010 with a 3.5/4T65-E rather than a 2012 with a 3.6 DOHC/6T70. I can’t believe I’m advocating an older motor with less HP, but the 3.5 runs amazingly strong for an engine based on the anemic 2.8 Citation motor and it holds up pretty well over the long run.

The 3.6’s have had trouble with timing chain stretching causing CEL’s, and I’ve had three 6-speed autos poo poo themselves compared to zero four speeds. As one might expect, changing the timing chain in a DOHC V-6 transverse FWD car is a goddamn nightmare.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nitrox posted:

A long wheel base sedan is the best thing for highway commutes. So yeah, Lexus ES, Camry, Accord, Fusion etc. Don't buy a hybrid for that particular purpose either, it won't be worth it.

If you want LWB take a look at a used 7 series :allears:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I have an Audi A4 and it’s an awesome city car and highway putter. It would suck to street park and see it get banged up though, glad I have a garage spot. It’s entry level so it doesn’t have pillowy nice springs like an ES or GS but it rides good and corners fine. Mine’s older at around 10 years and 100k on the clock, but the ~210HP is still delivered fine and I can scoot around people safely and quickly.

If it died I think I might buy another few years used luxo sedan. They just look cool too. Gotta be black tho.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
gruhhh my 2002 corolla isnt long for this world. on top of looking like dookie due to a theft and a later hit-and-run, its really to the point where I'm considering ripping off the band aid here.

1) Is the Prius still the king of "I dont want to think about it" cars? I'd prefer something with minimal cost of ownership as far as repairs, insurance, gas goes. I have a budget of $10k here, the lower the better because that's already my maximum.
2) Id really really really want to avoid dealerships. Is a private sale fine so long as im doing my homework on common prius issues and getting it inspected before purchase?
3) what does mileage mean on Priuses? What odo readings should I expect for a car that's 5k, vs 10k?
4) should I be putting this off as long as possible until used car prices go back down, or are they already down? car prices always seem to make news but im curious how much that trickles down to private sales at this price range.

this car has probably has another year left, so none of this is pressing, but im being reminded each time i have to wiggle the steering wheel, skyrim lockpicking minigame style, in order to start it on days that are either too cold or too hot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

buglord posted:

1) Is the Prius still the king of "I dont want to think about it" cars? I'd prefer something with minimal cost of ownership as far as repairs, insurance, gas goes. I have a budget of $10k here, the lower the better because that's already my maximum.

Yes but not at your price point, unless you're willing to drive a couple hundred miles away from major population centers

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hadlock posted:

Yes but not at your price point, unless you're willing to drive a couple hundred miles away from major population centers

Yeah I’m in Los Angeles so I guess I’m probably boned. That options are in my price range?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

gruhhh my 2002 corolla isnt long for this world. on top of looking like dookie due to a theft and a later hit-and-run, its really to the point where I'm considering ripping off the band aid here.

2) Id really really really want to avoid dealerships. Is a private sale fine so long as im doing my homework on common prius issues and getting it inspected before purchase?
3) what does mileage mean on Priuses? What odo readings should I expect for a car that's 5k, vs 10k?
4) should I be putting this off as long as possible until used car prices go back down, or are they already down? car prices always seem to make news but im curious how much that trickles down to private sales at this price range.

this car has probably has another year left, so none of this is pressing, but im being reminded each time i have to wiggle the steering wheel, skyrim lockpicking minigame style, in order to start it on days that are either too cold or too hot.

You should be able to find a second gen with somewhere around 100k miles for less than $10k. Good luck finding one that runs for $5k in the current market. If you do it'll probably have 300k+ miles. There are a couple expensive things that can go wrong, namely the brake actuator and the hybrid battery. The battery can be done DIY style and there are refurb units, individual cell replacements, etc.. so cost can vary depending on how you do it. The brake actuator will need to be done by a shop and isn't a cheap repair. You also need to find a shop that will work on them as there are shops that legitimately won't touch the scary hybrid. Having said that, there's a reason that there are a million of them on the road and there are a ton of them with 250k+ miles that are still running. They aren't cheap used but there's a reason for it.

You might find some 3rd gens in that price range too. They have some of the same issues as the 2nd gen but can have EGR clogging lead to blown head gaskets as well. They can also burn oil but I think the 2010's are the worst for that.

I've been tempted to buy another 2nd gen to replace the one that'll be going to our 16 year old but I have my reasons for not wanting another one even though it's a fantastic car for what it does. If the market were normal I'd probably get myself into an older 4th gen but most of those are still well over $20k and at that price point I'm gonna buy new.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My corolla is burning oil to the point where I have to spend $30 a month on oil just to keep it from bottoming out.

It also surprises me that some repair shops don’t touch hybrids in 2023. But maybe moving in a major city might mitigate that?

At my price range would you suggest I ditch the Prius idea and find something cheaper?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Not sure what the hell you're smoking on this but there's no shortage of clean-looking Priuses for sale by owner in the range of $5-10k on LAX CL. I think I'd lean towards a third-gen, there's some in your price range just barely on the high side of 100k miles.

At the same time, mileage on a Prius is not as hard as mileage on other cars; the engine is understressed so unless someone's actively abused it by running it low on fluids or ignoring other failures, it's not likely to fail anytime soon. The transmission on a Prius is mechanically more like a differential than a transmission - there's no friction materials to wear so it is also a very long-lived component. Your real fears are the HV battery and the brake actuator like fknlo covered. Even at shop rates both of those are far less expensive repairs than the transmission rebuild a 200k mile gas car might be closing in on.

buglord posted:

It also surprises me that some repair shops don’t touch hybrids in 2023. But maybe moving in a major city might mitigate that?

A cursory Google shows at least five shops in LA that claim to specialize in Prius repair, at least one of which is a mobile battery service that will come replace the HV battery in your driveway. Any shop that won't work on a Prius in Los loving Angeles has been pissing away money for two decades now.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not sure what the hell you're smoking on this but there's no shortage of clean-looking Priuses for sale by owner in the range of $5-10k on LAX CL. I think I'd lean towards a third-gen, there's some in your price range just barely on the high side of 100k miles.

poo poo, maybe I need to fly to LA to grab a car. All the $10k 3rd gens out here have 200k miles and a salvage title.

The Prius is legitimately what 90% of the people in the US should be driving. The 2 big ticket repairs aren't that bad, you just need to know they exist and to budget for them. Even with that they're incredibly easy to keep on the road.

buglord posted:

It's dumb, especially when the problems aren't the actual hybrid system. I needed to replace a coolant flow control valve and the inverter pump on mine. Pretty easy but I wanted to see if the shop down the road would do it at a price that would be good enough for me to not do it. They wouldn't give me a quote. So I had to get coolant in my mouth. It was 2 cooling system related things and that's it but they wouldn't touch it. It's not like there's a lack of Priuses here in rural Missouri either. They're everywhere just like they are in the rest of the country. Having hybrid specific shops around is a huge bonus when owning one.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

buglord posted:

My wife's ex recently had a "major electrical issue" with his Kia Forte hybrid and the local Kia dealership wouldn't touch it because hybrid. And he lives in the capital the state. Not gigantic, but big enough for most anything you could ever want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

poo poo, maybe I need to fly to LA to grab a car. All the $10k 3rd gens out here have 200k miles and a salvage title.

I say that and then I see this one and this one on marketplace. The cheaper one has a ton of moisture in the drivers side headlight but neither have been obviously wrecked with a lovely repaint! I pretty specifically want heated seats on my next DD so the Four trim level is what I'm shooting for too.

2010 and 2011 are supposed to be the years to avoid but you'll still see a ton of them listed with 250k+ miles. And the reality is that if your 3rd gen has the head gasket issue and worst case blow the engine they aren't exactly expensive to replace and keep going. They're so stupidly easy to keep on the road.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Hey thread, I'm moving to the US (Colorado) from Australia later this year and need to think about cars. I also have a weird hobby which is dictating most of the purchase! Mainly looking for some recommendations to direct my research.

Proposed Budget: around US$5k - I realise this is pretty much D-tier cars these days but I'm not exaggerating when I say it's literally double the most money I've ever spent on a vehicle up to this point in my life. I have plenty in savings and can stretch this if needed, but would really rather not; I've found I prefer the Zen-like detachment of driving a beater I can take a full loss on and shrug off. The type of car I usually buy is an older Toyota/Honda with bad paint and a detailed maintenance history. I don't care much about resale value as there's a good chance I'll be modifying/ruining the interior, so would even consider a salvage title in this case. I'll probably only be in the US for 2-3 years.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?)

Flexible on this but I can't see a sedan or two door sedan/hatch working for me (see below).

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
  • Boring city commutes (most of the time)
  • Some longer road trips with my partner - I really can't stress enough how little I care about highway manners, creature comforts, etc though.
  • As a mobile darkroom

Main thing is I do wet plate collodion photography (1850s process), which entails bringing your own darkroom into the field with you to sensitise and develop your plates. I have done this out of the back of my Yaris hatch with a homemade darkbox (basically a box that opens up with darkroom inside, with a shroud you drape over yourself and seal around your waist to keep the space light-tight. It worked, but the setup/breakdown was tedious and storing all the heavy gear in the back seat of a 2-door was rough on my back - both of these meant I shot a lot less than I would have liked. For the last couple months I've been using an old Hiace that I converted the back of into a darkroom, which works great. It's only 135cm high (about 4.5 feet) but even being a bit over 6' myself it's fine to use sitting on one of those ergonomic stools. Plenty of floorspace for what I do, I can probably even go a bit smaller if needed, but definitely not any lower than that.

The process uses a silver nitrate solution to sensitise the plate, which tends to get everywhere and stains organic material more or less permanently. It will eat through metal given enough time/exposure. So if I'm doing this inside the vehicle (which is probably ideal from a convenience standpoint), it will probably be kinda ruined by the time I'm done with it. Hence why I want a beater and don't care too much about resale. I'll also probably be drilling holes/making modifications for the darkroom fitout.

I have a few options:
  • Buy another van (there's no workhorse Toyota van equivalent to a Hiace in the US, not sure I trust any Ford/GM in my price range).
  • Buy something that can tow a trailer and only hitch it up whenever needed. I don't think I will have a place to park a trailer for free though, and a lot of the time the places I want to pull over on the side of the road to take photos are barely able to fit a regular car.
  • Could also consider some kind of hatchback - before I bought the van, I was working on a darkbox that pulled out of the back of the Yaris that was basically ready to shoot in a minute or so (The old one I used to use was smaller and required a separate table to put stuff on, moving the chemicals into the box, pouring the silver nitrate into its tank, etc and took like 15 minutes to set up.) I think the idea is viable although I haven't fully tested it.
  • Have considered something with 4WD for getting up in the mountains, but I've never done any offroading in a car (have owned a few dual sports bikes) and have a feeling I'd be biting off more than I can chew. The slow nature of the process means I'd never find anyone else willing to go along with me in another vehicle to help get out of bogs/tight spots - not unsual to spend several hours or half a day in one spot.

Comedy option is a small RV Breaking Bad style (these seem to be massively cheaper and more common in the US), but I think it'd be pretty crap to daily.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

I am modestly handy but will likely not have any tools, access to a good work space, or car-savvy friends, so something relatively reliable and cheap to run. As far as features, I daily'ed a poverty spec Starlet for four and a half years, so I still consider stuff like power steering and airbags to be luxury features :v:

edit: for content, here's the Yaris darkroom setup from a year ago or so, and a bad photo of the work area in the Hiace (the sink is under the stained piece of wood, which flips up on a piano hinge and is held in place with some rare earth magnets)

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 10, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would something like a Honda Fit work for the photography? Seems like it would be an upgrade over the Yaris in terms of utility but still small and cheap for daily commutes. Or an Element?

E: holy poo poo they're expensive in the US, €5k gets a Mk2 Fit with like 60k miles here. Anyway depending on how much space you need I think the Element might be better? It's kind of like a van.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 10, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You are shopping for minivans and Honda elements, yeah.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks to be a couple of Japanese minivans you can buy for that price. They're all really high mileage though. If you can throw even another 2-3k at it you might get a better deal.

Up to $10k can open up the big American vans as well which might make the most sense honestly. A Chevy Astro or the big Ford van would give you plenty of space to rip out the back and convert it to a darkroom.

That's a pretty cool hobby.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Explosionface posted:

My wife's ex recently had a "major electrical issue" with his Kia Forte hybrid and the local Kia dealership wouldn't touch it because hybrid. And he lives in the capital the state. Not gigantic, but big enough for most anything you could ever want.

Kia dealers are universally dogshit even by dealer standards.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Someone stole my 2015 Grand Cherokee and then crashed it. Insurance is paying me $20k which isn't enough to buy the exact same car with the exact same mileage (except the car for sale is a 4x2, mine was a 4x4) which is being sold at a dealership near my house. I take that as a sign from on high to get something more fun.

I'd like to get something $20k or under, MT, wagon and fun to drive. The use case is it will be a city car, but I have 3 kids (the oldest is 4) so it has to be able to carry kids regularly. It should also be able to make regular short road trips from Houston to Austin. Our other car is a brand new Pacifica, so it is the safe, reliable, new family car that we need. BaT 2000-2010 era S6 Avants are generally in that price range - but wondering what other options may exist.

What should I get.

Edit: The template is below:

Budget: $20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Wagon/SUV
How will you be using the car?: Short regular commute, sometimes family hauling (3 kids, oldest is 4), quarterly road trip from Houston to Austin (180 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? Want it to be fun, MT preferred, interesting older car - first thought was 2000s era S6 Avant

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 10, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You can negotiate insurance payouts if you have information that says your car is worth more, force the adjuster to review the current market value

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ethanol posted:

You can negotiate insurance payouts if you have information that says your car is worth more, force the adjuster to review the current market value

I went through this dog and pony show and am convinced State Farm should face a class action, but they automatically value "Dealer Conditioning" at $2216, so your car will be paid out $2216 less than the same car at a dealership. They wore me out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab0921 posted:

Someone stole my 2015 Grand Cherokee and then crashed it. Insurance is paying me $20k which isn't enough to buy the exact same car with the exact same mileage (except the car for sale is a 4x2, mine was a 4x4) which is being sold at a dealership near my house. I take that as a sign from on high to get something more fun.

I'd like to get something $20k or under, MT, wagon and fun to drive. The use case is it will be a city car, but I have 3 kids (the oldest is 4) so it has to be able to carry kids regularly. It should also be able to make regular short road trips from Houston to Austin. Our other car is a brand new Pacifica, so it is the safe, reliable, new family car that we need. BaT 2000-2010 era S6 Avants are generally in that price range - but wondering what other options may exist.

What should I get.

Edit: The template is below:

How will you be using the car?: Short regular commute, sometimes family hauling (3 kids, oldest is 4), quarterly road trip from Houston to Austin (180 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? Want it to be fun, MT preferred, interesting older car - first thought was 2000s era S6 Avant

I don't think the C6 came with a manual in North America. So you're looking at a C5 S6 Avant. Great cars. Arguably worth the price if you are a masochist. Other options include the F11 535ix Touring (noted AI goon meatpimp had one; he refused to sell it to me and told me I didn't want that smoke, and I own an E39, if that gives you an idea of what you're dealing with), the E91 3 series wagon, and like the Volvo V70R?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Manual will be hard. Get this E61 longroof instead and buy M Sport parts

Edit: or this c4 s6

Or this salvage e91 with a third pedal and a plane ticket

gently caress forget all of that and buy this e39 touring before I do

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 11, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Holy poo poo that last one.

Im watching this too - but I think it'll jump over $20k quickly.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-audi-a4-avant-quattro-9/

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's nothing wrong with a fly and drive. Make a road trip out of it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

There's nothing wrong with a fly and drive. Make a road trip out of it.

I have 3 kids and I work 70ish hours a week - that's not going to happen - it will have to ship to Texas but it's all within the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

mobby_6kl posted:

Would something like a Honda Fit work for the photography? Seems like it would be an upgrade over the Yaris in terms of utility but still small and cheap for daily commutes. Or an Element?

E: holy poo poo they're expensive in the US, €5k gets a Mk2 Fit with like 60k miles here. Anyway depending on how much space you need I think the Element might be better? It's kind of like a van.

I was actually thinking of a Fit, or maybe a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, although I'm hoping to avoid it. The Yaris was really not fun to set up and now that I've had a dedicated space it's gonna be hard to go back to all that jank and inconvenience. Four doors would definitely help though, and I'm optimistic I could get the darkbox more dialed in for a quick setup.

The Element is definitely on my short list, so it's great to get another vote of confidence there - we never got them here in Australia AFAIK and I do kinda like the styling. 5k seems to be the price floor on them though, but maybe if I'm patient and find one in bad cosmetic shape I might be able to get a mechanically better one.

Mustache Ride posted:

Looks to be a couple of Japanese minivans you can buy for that price. They're all really high mileage though. If you can throw even another 2-3k at it you might get a better deal.

Up to $10k can open up the big American vans as well which might make the most sense honestly. A Chevy Astro or the big Ford van would give you plenty of space to rip out the back and convert it to a darkroom.

That's a pretty cool hobby.

It's a lot of fun, yeah. I have kinda drifted between film and digital since I was in uni but once I started doing collodion that's basically all I think about.

I am going to be beating on this thing and likely ruining the interior, so I'm not keen to buy a nice one and then take a big hit on resale value. The process requires enough concentration and attention to detail that the last thing I want to be worrying about is messing up the car, basically.

The early/mid 2000's Odyssey has the bad auto trans, doesn't it? I'm tempted by the Sienna although they seem kinda luxurious/priced accordingly.

Those E150s look similar to the Hiace but I have no idea how well they hold up at higher mileage. Ford has sold the Transit here for ages and I've seen some with pretty impressive numbers on the odo, but I'm still a bit leery. I do think they'd be better suited as a blank canvas to set up the darkroom, and when I go to sell it there are probably plenty of tradies who wouldn't be fussed by black stains everywhere and random holes/vents installed.

Sab0921 posted:

I think they're all autos, but would 20k get you an imported Stagea? Definitely interesting.