Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I know that at least a few MLS teams had their local rights on CW affiliates because the affiliation was much less strict than the Big 4 on must-air programming, and because the cable RSNs usually insisted on exclusive streaming rights which would have killed the MLS/AppleTV deal before discussions started.

Nexstar, along with 75% of the CW and Newsnation, owns a ton of affiliates nationwide... including in PAC12 territory. I get the impulse to dunk on them for going to the home of Gilmore Girls, but I'd wager they're looking at the nationwide version of the doubledip the MLS got - an Apple/Amazon deal and an OTA deal that combine to equal or exceed what they'd have gotten from one of the cable networks. Nexstar's publicly discussed how they've leveraged the CW acquisition to get more favorable Big 4 deals at their nonCW affiliates, this'll also help that end for them.

I expect the TV rights process to go horribly for the Pac12, but there's a nonridiculous version of this that makes sense for Amazon, CW, and the conference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rip bally's sorry your financial shell game didn't pan out

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paracaidas posted:

I know that at least a few MLS teams had their local rights on CW affiliates because the affiliation was much less strict than the Big 4 on must-air programming, and because the cable RSNs usually insisted on exclusive streaming rights which would have killed the MLS/AppleTV deal before discussions started.

Nexstar, along with 75% of the CW and Newsnation, owns a ton of affiliates nationwide... including in PAC12 territory. I get the impulse to dunk on them for going to the home of Gilmore Girls, but I'd wager they're looking at the nationwide version of the doubledip the MLS got - an Apple/Amazon deal and an OTA deal that combine to equal or exceed what they'd have gotten from one of the cable networks. Nexstar's publicly discussed how they've leveraged the CW acquisition to get more favorable Big 4 deals at their nonCW affiliates, this'll also help that end for them.

I expect the TV rights process to go horribly for the Pac12, but there's a nonridiculous version of this that makes sense for Amazon, CW, and the conference

Yeah obviously you'd rather be on ESPN or actual OTA Fox but on average sports get better ratings on CW than FS1. They wouldn't be as accessible nation wide but it could mean more total viewers in their actual market which to me should be the actual goal of this and if they can make more money than their current deal doing that then they should.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I guess if the money is there CW is a decent network to be on I guess. It’s gotta have as much coverage as a big 4 network. In my area it’s on the same signal as NBC.

You can put 3 games on nationally every Saturday and get some ratings from non pac markets. I’m sure it won’t do gangbusters in the north east. But if it’s available for free to literally every tv in the country your going to get viewers and advertisers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back the Outdoor Life Network imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Rick posted:

Yeah obviously you'd rather be on ESPN or actual OTA Fox but on average sports get better ratings on CW than FS1. They wouldn't be as accessible nation wide but it could mean more total viewers in their actual market which to me should be the actual goal of this and if they can make more money than their current deal doing that then they should.

Does the CW really not have an affiliate in every market?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mike_V posted:

Does the CW really not have an affiliate in every market?

Yeah they do, they cover 98% of households OTA and have affiliates in every top 100 market. That’s more than the Big Three cover.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah they do, they cover 98% of households OTA

I must live in that 2 percent. The only channel you can get OTA in Dubuque, Iowa, is KFXB, which is an all-day Christian sermon / fund drive.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
WGN doesn't broadcast that far anymore?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The X-man cometh posted:

WGN doesn't broadcast that far anymore?

Apparently, the superstations weren’t done intentionally by WGN. They were broadcast nationally by a different company, United Video. I don’t think WGN has broadcast nationally for a while now.

https://wgntv.com/news/wgn_75th_anniversary/chicagos-very-own-goes-national-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-superstation/amp/

quote:

In 1978, the FCC’s “open entry” decision allowed cable carrier systems to distribute ‘distant signals,’ meaning they could take transmissions from local TV stations and show them outside of their home cities via satellite.

A man named Roy Bliss in Tulsa, Oklahoma saw an opportunity. He had helped start a company called United Video.

“It was formed by some entrepreneurs who wanted to bring distant signals from Chicago, down into central Illinois where they were just starting to build cable systems,” Bliss told CSPAN in the early-1980s.

United Video chose to take WGN’s signal and distribute it via satellite.

“We’re primarily in the satellite distribution business,” Bliss said. “We carry WGN, that’s our primary service. And we’re all very happy today because the Cubs won last night.”

At the time, so-called “passive” satellite “carriers” like United Video were not required to have the permission of a television station to redistribute its signal to out of town markets.

“The station really didn’t have any control over it,” Bob Vorwald, the director of production at WGN, said.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I definitely didn't know CW had 98%, I thought they were smaller than that. I don't directly get them OTA but I guess if I lived in a home instead of an apartment and could get an antenna on a roof I could because they theoretically broadcast to this market. They do show up in cable though and I'm a weirdo who still has cable, at least for now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Superstation WGN is now NewsNation, and I’m unsure if the change has made a dent with anyone.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1646867291991339009?s=20

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Twitter cutting off the shoes in the preview really sells the whole thing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Twitter cutting off the shoes in the preview really sells the whole thing.

That plus when you click through the shoes are gigantic compared to his little legs. He looks like a puppet lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dango Bango posted:

That plus when you click through the shoes are gigantic compared to his little legs. He looks like a puppet lol

To be fair he is just naturally built like a puppet

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
because of the way he dressed I thought MJ meant Michael Jackson, so when I clicked through I expected the black leather shoes with the white stripe

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CharlyOnTV/status/1648364870851522561

lol

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/espnSteveLevy/status/1649749847661051906

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I'm more concerned why he posted it to Twitter five minutes after purchase

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Island Nation posted:

I'm more concerned why he posted it to Twitter five minutes after purchase

If he was on the road and expensing his meal he probably just took a picture of the receipt to file it right away rather than hold on to paper.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
content like that can't wait

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the espn layoffs started

for now it's behind the scenes

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1650491792352059392

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In an article talking about ESPN Radio slowly dying, this was mentioned

https://twitter.com/kidcue/status/1651299648269582339?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's pretty crazy how ESPN Radio went from having a solid, varied lineup to a vast wasteland in just a few years. We've reached the point where The Brand can't single-handily carry a network.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean that's what happens when you don't pay talent. All of their radio people left to either go independent (LeBatard and Co, etc) or other networks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah the only ESPN radio show I listen to is Bomani's and like I listen because I like him not because of ESPN.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They've had so many hit shows but yeah they always just let the talent go when it's time to pay them.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bos podcast has been absolutely unbearable lately but generally he’s really great

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

It's pretty crazy how ESPN Radio went from having a solid, varied lineup to a vast wasteland in just a few years. We've reached the point where The Brand can't single-handily carry a network.

It's wild how they just never saw the podcast boom coming. Even a few years ago they were treating ads on podcasts as a throw-in with advertisers. They could have probably locked all these people up years ago for a fraction of what they're worth today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-mlb-reporter-marly-rivera-fired.html

Marly Rivera had a very normal one and was quickly fired by ESPN

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

With language like that I’m surprised she’s not Australian.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
She got banned from GBS too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

She got fired because they found a reason to let someone go for cause during layoffs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

With language like that I’m surprised she’s not Australian.

quote:

Rivera attempted to apologize to Gaete, the wife of MLB VP of Communications John Blundell, but was spurned.

No wonder that freelancer felt like they could butt in on your time with Judge!

[Fake edit] for additional context - Tokyo Broadcasting aka TBS is an NBC/CBS/ABC level national broadcaster in Japan. If you watched any of the Track and Field Worlds from Eugene last year, their logo was trackside fairly often, so they’re a decently big deal.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 27, 2023

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Maybe but I'd say that's a pretty good reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think that's probably just worth a suspension and warning without pay. As long as this isn't some frequent occurrence with her.

But yeah politics got her fired.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The CFL is coming to CBS Sports Network

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

DJExile posted:

Oh, that explains Castellanos homering last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I know for a while its been on ESPN+? Was it ever on actual television or just the internet? At least lately.